Good Books???

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.
law84

Good Books???

Post by law84 »

Help Needed!

I'm writing a book about werewolves. Can any one please recommend a book for research with grphic descriptions of the change? Or just any good werewolf themed books?
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Meh...

Re: Good Books???

Post by Sebiale »

For graphic change, cinema works well, or your imagination.
Mercy Thompson and the Alpha and Omega novels aren't bad. The Sazi are also kind of interesting, although they deal with far more than werewolves.
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

Well, I suppose it depends on what type of werewolf you're going for. If you're looking for information about nature-loving pacifist werewolves, and we recommend gorefest furry genocide books it could become confused.
But, on the whole, the Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs is a good staple, and the Anita Blake series by Laurel K. Hammilton might work for you as well.

At the end of the day however it is ultimately up to you, young snowflake, so make your werewolves however you want.

Or, if you're looking for information about real werewolves, you could try asking your local CIA/FBI branch. Or maybe the NSA would know for sure, or the DOD, but stay away from NOD. Those guys are jerks.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Meh...

Post by Sebiale »

Wingman wrote:Or, if you're looking for information about real werewolves, you could try asking your local CIA/FBI branch. Or maybe the NSA would know for sure, or the DOD, but stay away from NOD. Those guys are jerks.
Wingman speaks from experience. 8)
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
Loupin
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Don't blame the moon, she only glows.....

Post by Loupin »

The Book Of Were-Wolves by Sabine Baring-Gould

It's an amazing book, cuz he investigates werewolves in the 19th centery and then the stories and legends of all cultures....then he takes a modern take to them and goes deeply into lycanthropy
Never do anything as a wolf that you wouldn't do as a man....if you have a good heart...you'll be a good dog
Kigai Holt
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Mood: Busy

Post by Kigai Holt »

There's "The Werewolf Book: The Encyclopedia of Shape-Shifting Beings" by Brad Steiger. It basically goes over just about all of the werewolves in cinema and literature. If you're looking for ideas on what could/should happen to your werewolves, this is a great starting place. There's a second edition of it that was just released too. Have fun writing. :wink:
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Kigai Holt wrote:There's "The Werewolf Book: The Encyclopedia of Shape-Shifting Beings" by Brad Steiger. It basically goes over just about all of the werewolves in cinema and literature. If you're looking for ideas on what could/should happen to your werewolves, this is a great starting place. There's a second edition of it that was just released too. Have fun writing. :wink:
I heard really bad things about the first edition.
Kigai Holt
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Mood: Busy

Post by Kigai Holt »

Berserker wrote:
Kigai Holt wrote:There's "The Werewolf Book: The Encyclopedia of Shape-Shifting Beings" by Brad Steiger. It basically goes over just about all of the werewolves in cinema and literature. If you're looking for ideas on what could/should happen to your werewolves, this is a great starting place. There's a second edition of it that was just released too. Have fun writing. :wink:
I heard really bad things about the first edition.
It ain't bad, I haven't read the second edition yet (only recently learned that it came out), but it's I'm sure both are great resources for learning about different werewolf stories (including information about shifting, weaknesses, strengths, etc.) The only bad thing about it (IMO) is that it doesn't talk only about werewolves, but some other shapeshifting creatures as well. Which might be something somebody's looking for.
Louve_Lillith
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Moonlight Bard
Additional Details: I am published poet and author. I have a dark and quirky sense of humor and love fantasy writing.
Mood: Happy

Post by Louve_Lillith »

"Lonely Werewolf Girl" and the sequel "Curse of the Wolf Girl" by Martin Millar are quite good. A few others I'd recommend:
-Bitten by Kelly Armstrong
-Rose Red by Mercedes Lackey
-Wolf Moon by Charles de Lint
-Murphy's Lore: Shadow Of The Wolf by Patrick Thomas (this one's awesome and the whole series is really great)
-Cheysuli Chronicles by Jennifer Roberson
-Tanya Huff's "Blood Book Series"

And I have a longer list if anyone wants it! :) :D
Through forests deep and Winter's cold my soul follows the eternal song...Leading me home!