The Downsides to Lycanthropy

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.
Kigai Holt
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Mood: Busy

The Downsides to Lycanthropy

Post by Kigai Holt »

Every once in a while, when I'm reading an old werewolf story, or watching a werewolf movie, I come across some strange 'disadvantages' to being a werewolf. Aside from the standard stuff (i.e. Silver allergies, Uncontrollable temper, etc.), has anyone found any other strange side-effects/downsides/disadvantages in contracting lycanthropy?
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Downsides to Lycanthropy

Post by Shadow Wulf »

In many movies I have found the characters have a change in behavior. They will even sometimes act the polar opposite of what they use to be, I personally don't believe in such drastic changes but I do think that becoming a lycanthrope will have some behavior modifications such a slightly lower temper, becoming more suspicious and alert. It may even elevate their sexual desires such as some movies and books seem to suggest. It may not change anything until around the full moon when they might get all rowed up even if they can control their transformation.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Louve_Lillith
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Moonlight Bard
Additional Details: I am published poet and author. I have a dark and quirky sense of humor and love fantasy writing.
Mood: Happy

Post by Louve_Lillith »

Shadow Wulf wrote:In many movies I have found the characters have a change in behavior. They will even sometimes act the polar opposite of what they use to be, I personally don't believe in such drastic changes but I do think that becoming a lycanthrope will have some behavior modifications such a slightly lower temper, becoming more suspicious and alert. It may even elevate their sexual desires such as some movies and books seem to suggest. It may not change anything until around the full moon when they might get all rowed up even if they can control their transformation.
One of my fave examples of the personality flip but with a plot hole twist (just cause it is sooooooooo deliciously stupid) is the werefluffies from Twilight. One minute he's the epitome of Native charm, the next a pet pooch on steroids and then there was Sam who was so rage prone he slashes the love of his life's face. Sigh *gets off soap box and promptly curls up on her non-wereflufflie den* :howl:  :oo :wink: :lol:
Through forests deep and Winter's cold my soul follows the eternal song...Leading me home!
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

The most plausible drawbacks would be the huge work it would impose on trying to live among normal people. It would be a big part of one's life, but something one could not share except within very limited circles. If you picture lycanthropy forcing shifts during full moons or during times of emotional stress, then there are specific times or circumstances that one would have to withdraw from other people, breaking any and every social situation happening at the time, no matter what.

Enhanced senses might give one the ability to find out more about other people than you want to know. Imagine knowing that someone at work is having an affair and someone else is carrying cocaine. Even if you wanted to intervene, you can't divulge how you were tipped off. It's also hard to interact with people who smell either terrible or, worse yet, flavorful, like smoked bacon.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Chris
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Chris »

Scott Gardener wrote:The most plausible drawbacks would be the huge work it would impose on trying to live among normal people. It would be a big part of one's life, but something one could not share except within very limited circles. If you picture lycanthropy forcing shifts during full moons or during times of emotional stress, then there are specific times or circumstances that one would have to withdraw from other people, breaking any and every social situation happening at the time, no matter what.
The forced changes is the big one in my eyes. Depending on when you get lycanthropy and the usual life expectancy, there will be a lot of full moons you'll have to contend with (assuming about 50 years of life after getting lycanthropy, that's over 600 full moons). It's not something you have the luxury of forgetting about or get wrong, ever, or else you put your life in immediate danger for several hours... and depending on whether you're the type of werewolf that'll attack other people, you'll put them at risk too, of either death or giving them lycanthropy and consigning them to the same fate. Just one slip up out of over 600 full moons, and it could mean the death of you, or the death/infection of somebody else and all the guilt that comes along with it. And if you happen to get caught by the government or some other unscrupulous group, oh boy...

Being a monthly thing makes it difficult to get into a good "safety rhythm", too. The changes happen so far apart that it's easy to slip your mind (at least, if you want to maintain some semblance of a normal life and the distractions that come with it), so you really need to condition yourself to be mindful of full moons and to take whatever precautions you need, and without alerting other people too much about it (I've seen the tv, there's always someone who'll curiously follow/stalk you if you slip up :wink: ). Hardly an easy task to ask of anyone.

Extreme emotions triggering shifts is a whole nother can of worms. What if it's not just anger that causes you to change, but also anxiety, lust, or any other extreme emotion? That could really wreak havoc on someone, particularly in their love life. If lycanthropy can be spread through semen, then that's yet another potentially disastrous problem.
werewolf-woman
Legendary
Legendary

Post by werewolf-woman »

Louve_Lillith wrote:
Shadow Wulf wrote:In many movies I have found the characters have a change in behavior. They will even sometimes act the polar opposite of what they use to be, I personally don't believe in such drastic changes but I do think that becoming a lycanthrope will have some behavior modifications such a slightly lower temper, becoming more suspicious and alert. It may even elevate their sexual desires such as some movies and books seem to suggest. It may not change anything until around the full moon when they might get all rowed up even if they can control their transformation.
One of my fave examples of the personality flip but with a plot hole twist (just cause it is sooooooooo deliciously stupid) is the werefluffies from Twilight. One minute he's the epitome of Native charm, the next a pet pooch on steroids and then there was Sam who was so rage prone he slashes the love of his life's face. Sigh *gets off soap box and promptly curls up on her non-wereflufflie den* :howl:  :oo :wink: :lol:

well i would disagree with the "native charm" comment, he was just a reenforced stereotype of the dehumanized mystic native. the character is a common misrepresentation of ingenious peoples in film. As the story continue he is depicted as a sexually aggressive and obsessive, he even assaults that Bella chick at one point, forcing a painful kiss. Then to top off the creepy sexual weirdness he demonstrates pedophile behavior, while imprinting on an infant, which is basically grooming.
God what has this film done to werewolves? ugh it's just awful and since this film really bastardizes what i like about werewolves its hard for me to really look at his character and relate his personality to changes for the typical werewolf archetype.

in many werewolf films lycanthropy is usually a curse, so the characters seem to undergo immense emotional stress and trauma dealing with their new lycanthropy. I personally dislike when characters begin to lose their human communication styles and start growling and yipping. I find the prospect of the delving into the psychological pressure of having to deal with two natures deeply fascinating. The werewolf as a representation as the id embodied is rather fascinating and i enjoy seeing the character confronted with their primal urges versus their social conformism and perceptions of proper behavior..i really like when films try to pose the question, what is the nature of the wolf versus the nature of the human? is the werewolf's nature independent of the human or is does the werewolf bring out the primal urges and nature of man?

I think many people dismiss werewolf movies as mindless creature features but i like the sociological implications of lycanthropy. I enjoy watching not only the physical transformation but the possible transformations to the human psyche due to lycanthropy.
Louve_Lillith
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Moonlight Bard
Additional Details: I am published poet and author. I have a dark and quirky sense of humor and love fantasy writing.
Mood: Happy

Post by Louve_Lillith »

werewolf-woman wrote:
Louve_Lillith wrote:

well i would disagree with the "native charm" comment, he was just a reenforced stereotype of the dehumanized mystic native. the character is a common misrepresentation of ingenious peoples in film. As the story continue he is depicted as a sexually aggressive and obsessive, he even assaults that Bella chick at one point, forcing a painful kiss. Then to top off the creepy sexual weirdness he demonstrates pedophile behavior, while imprinting on an infant, which is basically grooming.
God what has this film done to werewolves? ugh it's just awful and since this film really bastardizes what i like about werewolves its hard for me to really look at his character and relate his personality to changes for the typical werewolf archetype.

in many werewolf films lycanthropy is usually a curse, so the characters seem to undergo immense emotional stress and trauma dealing with their new lycanthropy. I personally dislike when characters begin to lose their human communication styles and start growling and yipping. I find the prospect of the delving into the psychological pressure of having to deal with two natures deeply fascinating. The werewolf as a representation as the id embodied is rather fascinating and i enjoy seeing the character confronted with their primal urges versus their social conformism and perceptions of proper behavior..i really like when films try to pose the question, what is the nature of the wolf versus the nature of the human? is the werewolf's nature independent of the human or is does the werewolf bring out the primal urges and nature of man?

I think many people dismiss werewolf movies as mindless creature features but i like the sociological implications of lycanthropy. I enjoy watching not only the physical transformation but the possible transformations to the human psyche due to lycanthropy.
I was trying to be just a tad :wink: sarcastic :lol: . Twilight is a literary and film blight to both Were and Vamp fans alike, I would rather have a straight razor run over my tongue than read that series a second time. hwlwnk I just meant that Meyers particular penchant for making violence against females an act of love is nauseating and concerning and her use of Native myth and werewolf/shapeshifter lore to do so is unpalatable.
Through forests deep and Winter's cold my soul follows the eternal song...Leading me home!
werewolf-woman
Legendary
Legendary

Post by werewolf-woman »

Louve_Lillith wrote:
werewolf-woman wrote:
Louve_Lillith wrote:

I was trying to be just a tad :wink: sarcastic :lol: . Twilight is a literary and film blight to both Were and Vamp fans alike, I would rather have a straight razor run over my tongue than read that series a second time. hwlwnk I just meant that Meyers particular penchant for making violence against females an act of love is nauseating and concerning and her use of Native myth and werewolf/shapeshifter lore to do so is unpalatable.

gotcha! Sorry i think i missed the sarcasm although re-reading your post, i totally get it..I completely agree with you :)
Leonca~
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Cat who walks by Herself
Mood: Stressed

Post by Leonca~ »

A disadvantage for me would be if becoming a werewolf altered my scent to be frightening to animals. I could never work as a vet tech again if every cat or dog I approached freaked out as soon as I came near. I did like the idea presented in the Teen Wolf series that you could maybe intimidate dogs into submission, but I don’t think that would work on cats.

One I came up with for a short story- the potential for eternal torture. The protagonist is a werewolf with regeneration abilities, so the government captures him and implants a mind control device in his brain because no human could survive the procedure. He was also captured by someone hiding time-release silver containing capsules in his food, so his GI tract never healed right and he’s subjected to frequent indigestion and bleeding. Moral of the story: chew your food well and maybe your mouth will be the only thing that gets poisoned.
Sombra avatar by Leopreston at deviantart.com
Silvermane
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silvermane »

Depending on the mythology you follow could break down to what makes a werewolf a werewolf. If a werewolf is merely a human being with wolf traits and looks then that person would just be like their normal selves with just the perks of a wolf's abilities. However that is rather simple and probably not what everyone thinks of when you say werewolf.

Now the more classic lore, a human being forced to become an animal, to give into more baser desires. The more predatory aspect, that could be dangerous. What if you look at little Johnny down the street not as a friendly neighborhood kid but a tasty desert? Don't even have to be that nasty about it, what if little Johnny one day trespassing on your property, finds out your dark secret of being a werewolf? Tells others? I would say hiding amongst the sheep as it were would be the biggest downfall. How far do you give into your animal side? Do you become the monster or more of the human? Do you become a mindless killer or perhaps the wolf side takes a more nastier turn. Perhaps it starts out small, you like rare meat more, seems innocent, but those cravings as you dive into embracing the animal become more primal, what if a steak no longer does it for you?

Again it's all where you take the werewolf, a creature that represents nature, a darker side of nature, perhaps the beast deep down chained within all of us, and or perhaps the real werewolf is the one that doesn't care about humanity and just goes about it's business, a predator amongst the prey.
LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: RAR!

Post by LunarCarnivore »

One downside would be the emotional distance you would have to keep everyone at, and also food would probably smell pretty awful to a super-keen nose.

Another side-effect, if not downside, is if you gained the healing factor/semi-immortality like in many werewolf stories, I would take up smoking again. the only reason i quit is for my health (I'm 21 and was developing a horrible cough that would not quit). I would probably also drink more.... so werewolf=hedonism? :lol:
Formerly known as Wolf-Man-24
Silvermane
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silvermane »

Wolf-man-24 wrote:One downside would be the emotional distance you would have to keep everyone at, and also food would probably smell pretty awful to a super-keen nose.

Another side-effect, if not downside, is if you gained the healing factor/semi-immortality like in many werewolf stories, I would take up smoking again. the only reason i quit is for my health (I'm 21 and was developing a horrible cough that would not quit). I would probably also drink more.... so werewolf=hedonism? :lol:
Would depend on the food wouldn't it? I bet a werewolf walking by the local butcher shop might start drooling. :) I've often thought that the super nose might make werewolves not like foods that some people would think werewolves would like (fast food burgers jump to mind) but if you could really smell what the burgers were made from would you actually WANT to eat them? I suspect no, but that's just my opinion.

As for hedonism, oh why hasn't anyone done this? I know Carrie Vaughn (Kitty Norville series) has said werewolves are immune to cancer so what is to stop a werewolf from chain smoking? Again I would think the super sense of smell might play a role here. As far as drinking, if you have a higher metabolism just how much WOULD a werewolf have to drink? I am just imagining kegs upon kegs just to get a werewolf drunk *laughs* :)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Would you really want to take up smoking again if you had an enhanced sense of smell? Then again, maybe to suppress it, so other people wouldn't smell so much like spoiled bacon.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Silvermane
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silvermane »

Scott Gardener wrote:Would you really want to take up smoking again if you had an enhanced sense of smell? Then again, maybe to suppress it, so other people wouldn't smell so much like spoiled bacon.
The spoiled bacon phrase has me wondering what humans would smell like to a werewolf? *grins*
LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LunarCarnivore »

Scott Gardener wrote:Would you really want to take up smoking again if you had an enhanced sense of smell? Then again, maybe to suppress it, so other people wouldn't smell so much like spoiled bacon.
I hadn't thought of that. I guess i just want an excuse to unleash my hedonistic tendencies :lol:
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

Actually i did read a book that brought up a good point: in this case, the main characters father suffers from cancer, and eventually dies from it, and it's made worse by the fact he's a were cat. Why? because healing means cells multiply... including bad ones.
So technically, wouldn't that mean a shifter would be more likely to die of cancer if not caught, and therefore not do anything that could help that along?
Just a thought...
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LunarCarnivore »

WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:Actually i did read a book that brought up a good point: in this case, the main characters father suffers from cancer, and eventually dies from it, and it's made worse by the fact he's a were cat. Why? because healing means cells multiply... including bad ones.
So technically, wouldn't that mean a shifter would be more likely to die of cancer if not caught, and therefore not do anything that could help that along?
Just a thought...
Ah yes. In the short-lived (but amazingly awesome) TV series Wolf Lake, the alpha has cancer and it is implied that being a werewolf is what caused it, because of the multiple shifts playing havoc with his body's natural order. It's made worse by the fact that because he's a Were, he can't have any sort of invasive medical procedure. Which is another big downside of course, if you can get sick, you can't see a doctor without the risk of exposure.
Silvermane
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silvermane »

Wolf-man-24 wrote:
WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:Actually i did read a book that brought up a good point: in this case, the main characters father suffers from cancer, and eventually dies from it, and it's made worse by the fact he's a were cat. Why? because healing means cells multiply... including bad ones.
Just a thought...
Ah yes. In the short-lived (but amazingly awesome) TV series Wolf Lake, the alpha has cancer and it is implied that being a werewolf is what caused it, because of the multiple shifts playing havoc with his body's natural order. It's made worse by the fact that because he's a Were, he can't have any sort of invasive medical procedure. Which is another big downside of course, if you can get sick, you can't see a doctor without the risk of exposure.
I have completely forgotten about that show and the problem with cancer. Seems very likely that a sudden burst of cellular activity and growth (which would certainly have to happen with a werewolf) would ad to the problem of cancer rather than take away. Though if a werewolf can heal or if the cells have a "memory" of keeping the werewolf in the same state as they were when they were bit, maybe the cancer wouldn't happen? Of course this enters into the dreaded area of immortality which as far as werewolves go I am on the fence still whether it is a good idea or not.
LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LunarCarnivore »

Silvermane wrote:
Wolf-man-24 wrote:
Just a thought...
I have completely forgotten about that show and the problem with cancer. Seems very likely that a sudden burst of cellular activity and growth (which would certainly have to happen with a werewolf) would ad to the problem of cancer rather than take away. Though if a werewolf can heal or if the cells have a "memory" of keeping the werewolf in the same state as they were when they were bit, maybe the cancer wouldn't happen? Of course this enters into the dreaded area of immortality which as far as werewolves go I am on the fence still whether it is a good idea or not.
well if you recall, the werewolves in wolf lake were not immortal, they could heal almost any wound, but they aged normally. also, the shift was really hard on them, with a great many teens not being able to complete it, so it stands to reason that cancer might be an issue.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot

i just remembered something i forgot.
In the book it's mentioned that the were's immune system is stronger, so it's more likely the bad cells will be found and killed... but... i digress.

Also, in the case of cancer, a medical procedure wouldn't necessarily be bad, especially if the were can slow his healing/ knows of something that can slow it down. some cancer is very quick when grows so... {shrugs}
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LunarCarnivore »

Was the book from the series that has "Stray" etc, about the pack of werecats? I heard those were pretty cool.
Silvermane
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silvermane »

Wolf-man-24 wrote:
Silvermane wrote:
Wolf-man-24 wrote:
Just a thought...
well if you recall, the werewolves in wolf lake were not immortal, they could heal almost any wound, but they aged normally. also, the shift was really hard on them, with a great many teens not being able to complete it, so it stands to reason that cancer might be an issue.

yeah I recall the one episode that went into the teen graveyard and the difficulties of it. Also explains why the werewolves in that series has multiple births, probably not many of the children survived.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

Wolf-man-24 wrote:Was the book from the series that has "Stray" etc, about the pack of werecats? I heard those were pretty cool.
"Walk on the Wild Side: a tale of the others" By. Christine Warren
V, from V for Vendetta.

LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LunarCarnivore »

WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:
Wolf-man-24 wrote:Was the book from the series that has "Stray" etc, about the pack of werecats? I heard those were pretty cool.
I will definitely be looking into that one, thanks.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary

Wolf-man-24 wrote:
WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:
I will definitely be looking into that one, thanks.
Welcome. It wasn't bad, but it is definitely a romance novel.
V, from V for Vendetta.