Real Werewolves, are they out there.

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.
Post Reply

Do you think werewolves exist?

Yes
171
56%
No
82
27%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
55
18%
 
Total votes: 308

KitsuneKit
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:59 pm

Do you think werewolves actually exist?

Post by KitsuneKit » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:54 am

I know that all of us at this website like werewolves, but you think that werewolves exists in real life?

Thought? Opinions?

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 13085
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:27 am
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)
Gender: Male
Location: Tejas

Re: Do you think werewolves actually exist?

Post by Figarou » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:42 am

KitsuneKit wrote:I know that all of us at this website like werewolves, but you think that werewolves exists in real life?

Thought? Opinions?
Werewolves in real life? Like the one in my avatar? No.

User avatar
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 1974
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:08 pm
Location: Washington

Post by Vilkacis » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:52 am

I have serious plausibility issues with just about any kind of shapeshifter...

So: no.

But even if the shapeshifting wasn't an issue, I would still say no.

-- Vilkacis

User avatar
outwarddoodles
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2670
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:49 am
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Post by outwarddoodles » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:14 pm

Mental werewolves: Yes

'Werewolf Dieseise' (excessive hair, rabies): Yes

Spiritual Werewolves: Yes

Physicly shifting werewolves: NO!!
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."

Bete
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:12 pm
Location: USA

Post by Bete » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:11 pm

You can ask a bunch of people what a werewolf is and get a bunch of different answers. I have been on numerous werewolf sites (and still am), and know that people define what a werewolf really is differently. When you ask me about werewolves, I usually go off of ancient legends and lores that originally defined what a werewolf was, but that doesn't usually hold true anymore to what people think werewolves are. Some people define werewolves by role playing games, some by books, some by film, some by spirituality, some by dreams, some by personality traits, and etc. Good luck in your search for an answer.

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 13085
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:27 am
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)
Gender: Male
Location: Tejas

Post by Figarou » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:31 pm

Bete wrote:You can ask a bunch of people what a werewolf is and get a bunch of different answers. I have been on numerous werewolf sites (and still am), and know that people define what a werewolf really is differently. When you ask me about werewolves, I usually go off of ancient legends and lores that originally defined what a werewolf was, but that doesn't usually hold true anymore to what people think werewolves are. Some people define werewolves by role playing games, some by books, some by film, some by spirituality, some by dreams, some by personality traits, and etc. Good luck in your search for an answer.
Very well put Bete.

The glass can be half empty. It can also be half full. People don't see the item the same way. You WILL get many different responces.

User avatar
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 4731
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:36 pm
Gender: Male
Mood: Excited
Location: Rockwall, Texas (and beyond infinity)
Contact:

A vote for werewolves is a vote for better roads, less taxes

Post by Scott Gardener » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:50 pm

I voted "no" because I assumed the question was about literal werewolves in the conventional sense. (What therians call "physical shifters," to distinguish from various mental methods we employ.) The existance of therians who describe ourselves as "werewolves (in a certain sense)" is a known and verifiable fact.

But, my assumption that they don't exist fails to offer offhand a good explanation for things like the Beast of Bray Road. While I suspect that a more mundane explanation exists, I remain open to the possibility of them. But, I consider it a low probability, which is why I didn't vote "undecided." I'm going to assume for now that I'll go my life without seeing one for now.

I'm also ignoring other beliefs of mine, such as alternate realities or discontinuity / Crossover phenomena, in which the rules of a realm of existance can change, or in which a realm can influence or transfer information into another realm.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...

Silverclaw
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3203
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:07 pm
Gender: Male
Mood: Meh...
Location: Where soul meets body

Post by Silverclaw » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:51 pm

I am undecided. It is not a solid, undeniable fact that they dont or do exsist. Anything is possiable. (I need to read The Beast of BrayRoad soon.) I like to think that werewolves really do live somewhere on this planet of ours though; (the in control ones) Who knows :)

User avatar
silverpaw
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 727
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:44 pm
Custom Title: I Bite, You've Been Warned ^_^
Location: A world of fiction

Post by silverpaw » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:45 am

'hmm i did undecided :lol: couse there are many unknown things and alot of supposed true stories about them so its confusing
Image


Image

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 13085
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:27 am
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)
Gender: Male
Location: Tejas

Re: A vote for werewolves is a vote for better roads, less t

Post by Figarou » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:00 am

Scott Gardener wrote:I voted "no" because I assumed the question was about literal werewolves in the conventional sense. (What therians call "physical shifters," to distinguish from various mental methods we employ.) The existance of therians who describe ourselves as "werewolves (in a certain sense)" is a known and verifiable fact.

But, my assumption that they don't exist fails to offer offhand a good explanation for things like the Beast of Bray Road. While I suspect that a more mundane explanation exists, I remain open to the possibility of them. But, I consider it a low probability, which is why I didn't vote "undecided." I'm going to assume for now that I'll go my life without seeing one for now.

I'm also ignoring other beliefs of mine, such as alternate realities or discontinuity / Crossover phenomena, in which the rules of a realm of existance can change, or in which a realm can influence or transfer information into another realm.

With some people, "werewolf" has more than one meaning. To me, it only has one.

My definition of a werewolf is a half man/wolf with claws, tail, fangs, head of a wolf, fur, and digitigrade legs. Those I know don't exsist.


I've learned a few things since I joined this forum. Some of it is very interesting. But instead of saying "I'm a werewolf," I rather say "I'm a werewolf fan." Meaning a fan of the creature that doesn't exsist. Not to those that say "I'm a werewolf"

User avatar
outwarddoodles
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2670
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:49 am
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Post by outwarddoodles » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:39 am

I'd agree. Though it is fun to joke with a friend when they see a werewolf doodle of mine that the next full moon I'll eats them, but truly I'm just a werewolf fan. And I do like to use Therian for the Therians, it keeps it from getting so mixed up.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 13085
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:27 am
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)
Gender: Male
Location: Tejas

Post by Figarou » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:32 pm

outwarddoodles wrote:I'd agree. Though it is fun to joke with a friend when they see a werewolf doodle of mine that the next full moon I'll eats them, but truly I'm just a werewolf fan. And I do like to use Therian for the Therians, it keeps it from getting so mixed up.
No, I do not use the word Therian to describe myself. I looked into it and I do not qualify.

They say in order to be a Therian, you have to be born that way. Born with what? A marking? Something in the blood? The soul of the animal(wolf)? How can one prove he/she is a Therian? Can a real untamed animal(wolf) see a Therian as one of its own? I'm not against thier beliefs. I'm just a bit confused. And if you guys don't mind, I rather stay confused. Its easier to live a life of a werewolf fan. :D

User avatar
silverpaw
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 727
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:44 pm
Custom Title: I Bite, You've Been Warned ^_^
Location: A world of fiction

Post by silverpaw » Mon May 02, 2005 7:12 am

yah sometimes its easier to leave it the people who understand it better
:D as myself i find theian stuff rather intresting but im not sure about myself :lol:
Image


Image

User avatar
outwarddoodles
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2670
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:49 am
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Post by outwarddoodles » Mon May 02, 2005 5:13 pm

Truly it depends on a person's own beleif's. Though there has been debates starting on those issues.'

Stay confused.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 13085
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:27 am
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)
Gender: Male
Location: Tejas

Post by Figarou » Mon May 02, 2005 5:17 pm

outwarddoodles wrote:
Stay confused.
Thanks. I will.


??

User avatar
Ochiba
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 1:52 am
Location: Kansas
Contact:

Post by Ochiba » Sun May 15, 2005 1:41 pm

I voted yes, and have my own reasons for it.

User avatar
Baphnedia
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2326
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:23 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Portland, OR

Post by Baphnedia » Sun May 15, 2005 2:18 pm

Generally, you are what you say you are. That is merely self-identity. What constitutes Therianthropy or any other 'opy' or 'ism' gets into the realms of objective truth and personal belief.

That's one of the really fun things when you get down to personal beliefs - and one reason why there are so many 'problems' in regards to religion. Boolean truth hasn't been replaced by objective truth. We came up with the idea that only one side is right.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 13085
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:27 am
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)
Gender: Male
Location: Tejas

Post by Figarou » Sun May 15, 2005 2:20 pm

Baphnedia wrote:Generally, you are what you say you are. That is merely self-identity. What constitutes Therianthropy or any other 'opy' or 'ism' gets into the realms of objective truth and personal belief.

That's one of the really fun things when you get down to personal beliefs - and one reason why there are so many 'problems' in regards to religion. Boolean truth hasn't been replaced by objective truth. We came up with the idea that only one side is right.

*in Spock's voice and rasies one eye brow*

Fasinating


:D

User avatar
Baphnedia
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2326
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:23 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Portland, OR

Post by Baphnedia » Sun May 15, 2005 2:39 pm

Scientists found the molecule. Then the element. Then the atom. Within the atom are sub-atomic particles (protons, neutrons, electrons), within the nucleus are quarks, within quarks were ions (I think) and so on and so forth.

The puzzle of reality is just a maze of more particles flying in imaginary circles. Scientists are trying to learn what the mystics have always known - if in a less literal sense.

Objective truth allows for more than one right answer. It is used more often than most of us realize - every time we consider the possibilities before making a decision - it isn't that the route we choose is always the right answer, but it its the best answer that fits our motives. There are those out there who are motivated to intentionally make a poor choice, for their own reasons.

Each being's reality is unique, from the time they are born (or even conceived) to the time until they die. I don't delve into the depths after death, as I haven't been there before (I had a few close calls though, including recalling the sound of bullets whizzing by my ear).

Where this need for boolean beliefs in religion comes partly from the moral structures that religions across the world established (the other part is the political and regional influence that comes with organized religion). If you look at the tenants of most religions, you'll find something similar to usually seven or more of the christian commandments. In issues of morality, there is right and wrong. To establish a moral standard in a region, everyone must believe in the source, or the reference. There are people out there who'll kill someone for five bucks, because they actually think that it's ok. Why is their reality so skewed we ask? Simple - their own code of conduct includes the cost of life at $5.

Regardless of what creed you follow, everyone needs a moral standard (of sorts). Most of it is culturally engrained. It changes with society, such as back in the days when we were kids and shooting up everyone at school was something talked about, joked about. All the way up until Columbine. After Columbine, there were a large number of similar crimes comitted. It is more acceptable to do such things, simply because there is precedent. By not enforcing a standard (any whatsoever - moral or otherwise) sets a new, lower standard.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 13085
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:27 am
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)
Gender: Male
Location: Tejas

Post by Figarou » Sun May 15, 2005 2:44 pm

Baphnedia wrote:The puzzle of reality is just a maze of more particles flying in imaginary circles. Scientists are trying to learn what the mystics have always known - if in a less literal sense.

yup yup :D

User avatar
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 1295
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:27 pm
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert
Location: Cleft of Dimensions
Contact:

Post by Apokryltaros » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:28 am

Figarou wrote:
Baphnedia wrote:The puzzle of reality is just a maze of more particles flying in imaginary circles. Scientists are trying to learn what the mystics have always known - if in a less literal sense.

yup yup :D
I've always been leary of the mystic idea/ideal that "reality is an illusion."
Even though that there are tremendous spaces within atoms and molecules, that doesn't make existence illusionary. That would be akin to describing about how a chain-link is mostly open-space, and then, coming to the conclusion that it does not exist because it's mostly open-space.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon

User avatar
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 3185
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:31 am
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Gender: Male
Mood: RAR!
Location: The Netherlands

Post by Morkulv » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:50 am

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.

Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 2335
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:28 pm

Post by Kzinistzerg » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:55 pm

*blink*

uh....

ok...

look, have you ever looked at a dog skeleton and a human skeleton, and a bird skeleton, and about 30,000 otehr skeletongs form th same general animal families? we al have the same general framewwork and alsmot all of us have a skeletal strcture that is very similar.


but when you see a real werewolf... tell me.

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 13085
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:27 am
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)
Gender: Male
Location: Tejas

Post by Figarou » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:37 pm

Shadowblaze wrote:*blink*

uh....

ok...
he he!! :lol:

User avatar
Rooster Urlakane
Legendary
Legendary
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 6:46 pm
Location: Katy 25 miles west of Houston

Post by Rooster Urlakane » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:49 am

It's all so very crazy
:lol:
we're all insane in our own sane way... no, wait, it's we're all sane in our own insane way. By which in meaning we are all bussing our selves over our work which is sane and yet you think about it later, why were you fired from a fast food place for being to on-top of everything.
it's as crazy as a one gallon milk jug filled with methyl ethyl ketone peroxide (MEKP)
:P
bombs and more,
lets hit the floor.
sleep deprived and betrayed
lets be very...very...afraid.

Post Reply