Real Werewolves, are they out there.

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.

Do you think werewolves exist?

Yes
56%
No
26%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
18%

Total votes: 312

Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

Lupin wrote:Well, good things come to those who wait.
Then I hope you're ready to wait for a long, long time.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Akela wrote:
the earth would be gone by then.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:
Akela wrote:
No, it wouldn't take anywhere near that long. 4 billion years is a very long time.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Figarou wrote:
Akela wrote:
No, it wouldn't take anywhere near that long. 4 billion years is a very long time.

We'll be gone before the earth is.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:We'll be gone before the earth is.
Us personally, probably yes. But the human race itself might move on to bigger and better things before the Earth itself disappears.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Figarou wrote:We'll be gone before the earth is.
Us personally, probably yes. But the human race itself might move on to bigger and better things before the Earth itself disappears.
or until the resources run out.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

That'll still be a while
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

Figarou wrote: We'll be gone before the earth is.
Maybe, maybe not, I don't really think it's anyones place to say what will be around and what won't.
Curan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wor'Kai

Post by Curan »

Do you really think that humanity exist as long as the earth's time runs out? Wouldn't it be more possible that the humankind extinct themselfs a long time before those incidents will happen?
Perhaps we gain our technoligy in that way that we were possibly able to create a real existing werewolf with all the abilities we think he ought to have. But there would be the question of necessarity in ralation to the costs of such a project. Nobody invests such a mass of money without the expectation of a great advantage in any kind.

That's why I think that thoughts of possibly real existing werewolves is a pious wish of us.
Homo lupo lupus est.
Scisne, homo, quod lupum essendum profecto significat?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Curan wrote:Do you really think that humanity exist as long as the earth's time runs out? Wouldn't it be more possible that the humankind extinct themselfs a long time before those incidents will happen?
Perhaps we gain our technoligy in that way that we were possibly able to create a real existing werewolf with all the abilities we think he ought to have. But there would be the question of necessarity in ralation to the costs of such a project. Nobody invests such a mass of money without the expectation of a great advantage in any kind.

That's why I think that thoughts of possibly real existing werewolves is a pious wish of us.

Even if you have the funds and resources, where do you start?

Do you take a wolf and try to humanize it? Do you take a human and try to add wolf features to it? Or do you start at the molecular levels? Its going to be very expensive and it'll take many lifetimes for someone to figure it out.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Curan wrote:Do you really think that humanity exist as long as the earth's time runs out? Wouldn't it be more possible that the humankind extinct themselfs a long time before those incidents will happen?
Well, it's possible, but the chances of that are significantly less when we finally leave the planet.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Figarou wrote:
Excelsia wrote:I would love to be alive when werewolves are made. I doubt that I, or any of us, will, but one can always dream. :)
Why dream when you can have werewolves right now. Its called CGI.

We just need someone to put a lot of money and effort into making a really cool looking one!!
Eh. As cool as CGI is, it'll never make me a werewolf. :( Not a RL one, anyway.

But, nonetheless, I do look forward to seeing more cool CGI werewolves as the time passes.
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Curan wrote:Nobody invests such a mass of money without the expectation of a great advantage in any kind.
The way I'm seeing it is that the requisite technology and knowledge comes as a side effect of more mainstream research; things like curing inhereted genetic diseases, improving human longevity and healing, etc. Then, once all that's available, it's a much smaller feat for some group to take it the rest of the way.
Sanity is relative.
dead_moon's_empress
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Dead Empress of the Moon

Post by dead_moon's_empress »

I've always believed unless there's solid proof that something doesn't exist then there's always the possibility that it might. When it comes to science disproving things science can be wrong or flawed so I don't take science for factual proof that many things aren't real.
Anything is possible and also, if there are that many accounts then how it not be real? Especially since most accounts are from different time periods and countries and most of the people having met one another, can they all be lying or exaggerating or suffering from poor sight etc?
I'd like to believe there's always a possibility that werewolves may exist.
Wandering through a forest for a picnic of blood
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Visit http://www.therianthropy.org
We do exist, and we're not all wolves either. ;)
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

*cheers*
Sanity is relative.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

You can't prove a null hypothesis. That is, you can't ever prove officially that something doesn't exist without scanning the entire universe backwards and forwards, all at once. We just infer that werewolves probably don't exist, because their existance would contradict our experiences.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
dnl
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: one wrapped in shadows

Post by dnl »

Not rally science should not be taken lightly four anything is possibly. With science we can prove it douses exist or we can make it exist. So doing this the scientific way lets take a look. First how would its body work we can presume its metabolism would be very high and because it would be eating raw meat it would need a strong stomach system. Also it would also taking in a lot of blood so we know it would need a system to get ride of all the iron it would be taking in. now transformation is a bit trick. So it would be affected by the moon well we now the full moon has an effect on are brain chemistry and body the werewolf is just affected more. Also the body would most likely have to be vary starchy and for the shape changing part it would probably have small bones that could move and get bigger. I need a brake.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

Though it's old ground that we've covered heavily in various threads, it's good that you're thinking scientifically--both willing to consider the possibility and skeptical enough to consider what it would take to make it possible.
dnl
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: one wrapped in shadows

Post by dnl »

Old from of thinking I guess. Kind sad
00airknight
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: The cool guy

Post by 00airknight »

Were wolf being real.... in a sense that is true. the point of it is that there is a disease that makes your hair grow unusually fast and long. It also makes you go insane. These sort of ppl are outside society and its in places like africa and south America. so in a sense these people are hairy carnivores but they aren't actually werewolves but they are similar. And thats where the legend started were (which in latin means "man") wolf.

PS: they are also in Europe and that's where the legend originated so thats where they made the actually legend/
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

Human shifting into wolf? No. Not possible. It defies the sheer laws of nature and physics on so many levels it in itself it is an impracticality in our world.

The idea of Werewolves can, however, be figurative especially in the 'bristling' of aggression. Some people 'transform' during a state of anger, aggression or if you've ever seen people black out in a fit rage. I've seen guys do it in bar fights -- this isn't a black out type like falling on the floor unconcious, this is just the facts of 'anything gets in my way I try and kill it' frenzy where the concious self takes a backseat. Most people don't remember anything about their engaging of others or how things happened. It's insane and intense and one man can do the damage of ten juiced up on adrenaline in that state. And you don't stop them or get in their way...

A sort of 'werewolf-ism' in aggitated response seems plausible. Still no shifting of man-to-beast (as silly as it is to assume humans aren't a freakin' animal or beast)...

People can go from humble to wild or meek to powerful in seconds, even without claws or fangs.
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

Comparable to the "I'm a male in a female's body" (or vice versa) there are also people who will tell you that they are nonhuman animals in a human body. These people function quite well in everyday life so they can't be accurately said to be "crazy". And there are quite a few ways to explain their shocking admission without involving dysfunction.

So when I contend that I am a Werewolf, I don't mean that I change into a wolf on full moon nights - but I do mean that I recognize myself to be a wolf in every way except my physical body. It doesn't bar me from being a respected professional or an accepted member of my local church. It doesn't even prevent me from being a volunteer in the Boy Scouts of America. I growl at people when I'm irritated. I move sorta funny, sometimes. I make really strange sounds when I sleep because I'm a wolf in my dreams. People that don't know me sense that there's something disturbingly different about me (one of the secretaries told me that I'm scary - and she likes me.) although they can't put their finger on it. I recognize other Therians without having to be told what they are. I'm more comfortable around my own kind.

I think that the Werewolves that were around before the Inquisition were pretty much the same kind of people that I am - there are a lot of similarities between myself and my Therian friends and the Lycanthropic Benandantes of the early Middle Ages and I can explain the existence of the Neuri by looking at my own kind today.

So, yes, there are Werewolves, if by that you mean people that are very wolflike. There's a good chance that we're the same kind of people that were originally called Werewolves. But if you mean by Werewolves, people who physically turn into wolves, that's debatable.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

I suspect that the majority of alleged werewolves, such as Gilles Garnier or Peter Stump, were probably not therians, but simply eccentric people at the wrong place and time. Perhaps a few of them may have been indeed horrible people, though I would have a hard time accepting the notion that they could have deserved what happened to them.

Therianthropy today exists as a movement because people are allowed to talk to each other about it and share beliefs. In an oppressive society like sixteenth century Europe, it wouldn't be so easy, so most therians probably would never realize they were anything other than people at spiritual odds with themselves and the Church, but keeping quiet about it, many continually trying to save themselves through prayer. Witchcraft, an analogous movement that has a much fuller and easier to track historical trail--though certainly filled with misconceptions and errors--went underground, and was most likely handed down generationally using hidden symbolisms in everyday objects. It's possible that therianthropy (by a different name) could have been passed along in the process, but I know of no evidence for it. Though therianthropy certainly parallels various forms of shamanism and metaphysical concepts such as shapeshifting and totems, as an organized movement it took shape in 1993 on alt.horror.werewolves.

Still, I suppose at least a few of what we today would recognize as therianthropes were caught in the act and killed.
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

Communication is a important thing. I seem to be fairly typical in my discovery of the Therian community. I realized that I was a Werewolf early in life (and different from fellow Humans even earlier) but I didn't understand that there were others like me out there. I knew that my family has a lycanthropic background. I had already connected the VanZandts with the Volsungs so I knew that my family "produced Werewolves', but I figured that they were a rare phenomenon and that it was pretty unlkelythat two Werewolves would actually come into contact by chance.

In the summer in 1999, I was looking for wolf photos on the Internet to place on my office computer and I happened across SnowWolf's site. The idea that there may be others with a similar life experience intregued me so I called him and he was my first contact with the Therian community. So I went from being a benign aberation (I never felt like something that didn't fit in with others) to a member of a significant subculture overnight.