Lupus hominarius

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.
kunalopex
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Lupus hominarius

Post by kunalopex »

I have just discovered the double meaning of the italian term for Werewolf": Lupo mannaro.
Its interesting, an italian friend of mine explained me alla aspects last evening.
I wonder if you already know...
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: The Striding Stranger

Post by Grayheart »

What is the double-meaning?
In wildness is the preservation of the world
So seek the wolf in thyself!

(Metallica - Of Wolf and Man)
kunalopex
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by kunalopex »

Lupus is the latin for "wolf" while hominarius means in late and vulgar latin "pretending to act like a man".
Lupus hominarius was used in early centuaries after the fall of the roman empire, it then turned into the italian "Lupo mannaro".
The term "mannaro" is strongly related to the name of a big, heavvy knife used by butchers called "mannaia". The mannaia knife is what is necessary to cut instantly big pieces of flesh and bones together.
Thus... the italian Lupo mannaro means not only "a wolf that act like a man" but also someone very VERY dangerous, someone who can quarter you in a few seconds.
A wild, instict based person or animal with no fear, capable of killing with a large profusion of blood. The italian Lupo mannaro is totally a negative term, nothing to do with the english werewolf, or theriantropy or other spiritual meanings.
Hope i was clear with my (poor) english.
Silverwolfman
Legendary
Legendary
Location: Cambria,Wisconsin away from other lycans like myself, man it gets lonely here!!!

Post by Silverwolfman »

man they always come up with something with a double meaning no matter what. but nice double meaning if u ask me. wierd but cool.
Werewolves are seen as cold blood killers to some. In my eyes we're all part of this world and must be accepted not rejected or driven away.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Thats pretty cool. Good find! :D
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Silverwolfman
Legendary
Legendary
Location: Cambria,Wisconsin away from other lycans like myself, man it gets lonely here!!!

Post by Silverwolfman »

its sorta like the book blood and chocolate it tells of the double meaning of them both. they both taste delicious when u first try them and they are always delicous after u taste them again. one of them is hard to aquire and may leed to death but the other is so easy that u could set urself for life on chocolate and still have the other yearning for blood. thats how i am but i like blood more then chocolate. they have addicting tastes but i like em.
Werewolves are seen as cold blood killers to some. In my eyes we're all part of this world and must be accepted not rejected or driven away.