The Beast of Bray Road: a modern sighting

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.
StellaMagic
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by StellaMagic »

Is there anyone who lives in Wisconsin that saw the beast? ??
birdy
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by birdy »

funny that you should mention that:

I was just planning for a drunken excursion to Walworth County. It'd be about a 2-hour drive from my place and I have nothing better to do.

Any brave souls willing to join me?

Recent reports say the beast is becoming dangerous.
StellaMagic
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by StellaMagic »

How can you tell? And is this a joke about the DRUNKEN part? If you are going to WI, bring an instant or digital camera, so we can actually have a picture of the Beast.
birdy
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by birdy »

Yeah, the "drunken" bit is my poor attempt at a joke.

I'll admit, I doubt that there is any actual creature. Probably just the musing of truly-drunken locals.

But, I'm still pleased Wisconsin has a little something strange supposedly going on.

I'm a proud resident of the Werewolf State. :)
StellaMagic
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by StellaMagic »

Still, whether it's a wolf or bear, we must get a good picture. I did a little checking on the wildlife in WI. The only animals are black bears and timber wolves. None of them are the same height as what the witnesses saw. It could be a new animal
StellaMagic
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

trailer to movie

Post by StellaMagic »

I found out on the trailer that there was a photograph of the beast. Anyone here knows who has it?
StellaMagic
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by StellaMagic »

Birdy, are you still on the site? Have you seen the beast yet?
Kisota

Post by Kisota »

Interesting.... :D This is the sort of thing that I always think I MUUUST see for myself. Tsk...I might have to go there someday. I will wear a suit of steaks. ^_^ The werewolves will not be able to resist!! Bwahaha!

Ohh, I've been reading about thylacines for years! :) I followed their cloning research for a long time. The idea was taking DNA from preserved unborn babies, cloning it, and ...making thylacines! For a while, it looked like they might be able to do it, because since the babies had been preserved in ALCOHOL, the DNA would probably be undamaged.

But, sadly they don't have good enough stuff to work with. :s

There HAVE been supposed sightings of thylacines, though. Some people think a few are still alive.

The more you know! *rainbow*....*gives stolen joke back* :jester:
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Kiba wrote:
There HAVE been supposed sightings of thylacines, though. Some people think a few are still alive.
There certainly have been sightings, I've even got a page about it.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Jamie wrote:
Kiba wrote:
There certainly have been sightings, I've even got a page about it.
Maybe they're just seeing werethylacines. :D
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Kisota

Post by Kisota »

Ooh, snazzy, Jamie! :o

I love thylacines. They have the coolest, widest mouths ever. 8)
Ashkin-Tyr
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: On the scotch tape of reality, third door to the left.

Post by Ashkin-Tyr »

Wisconsin-born and raised, I’ve always heard stuff about the "beast". However, I never once went there.

I should consider heading down to Bloomfield where Bray Road is located when I get free time. Too bad it’s in southern Wisconsin (on the Illinois border), instead of being closer to the north central part of the state where I live.

I doubt I would even see hide-nor-hair of the alleged creature, but I would be able to say I've been there.

StellaMagic wrote:Birdy, are you still on the site? Have you seen the beast yet?
Maybe she has... but never returned from the encounter! :lol:
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Bloomfield? Thats the town in NJ where I work! :lol:

But no beast here. Over in NJ we have the Jersey Devil.
http://www.elktownship.com/myth.html :wink:

Weird NJ site:http://www.weirdnj.com/misc/main.asp
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
RedWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by RedWolf »

Do you think the "bear-wolf" might be related to the Bray Road beast?

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news ... etail.html

Also see
http://www.cnb-scene.com/braybearwolf.html
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

RedWolf wrote:Do you think the "bear-wolf" might be related to the Bray Road beast?

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news ... etail.html

Also see
http://www.cnb-scene.com/braybearwolf.html
Don't be fooled by the new name. The "bear wolf" is just Linda Godfrey's latest spin on her ever-evolving opinions of the Beast of Bray Road. Is it the same creature? Well, in order to answer that question you have to evaluate the evidence yourself: do you even consider the Beast of Bray Road to be a single creature?
Originally, the "Beast of Bray Road" label was applied to wolf-like hairy bipeds (and some quadrupeds, plus a few flat-faced pointy-eared Bigfoot-type creatures) that appeared in a lot of sightings in southeastern Wisconsin. Regardless of whether these sightings were related to each other or not (and you could easily support either argument, regardless of whether you are a believer or a skeptic) they did end up getting lumped together under a "werewolf" label that was generally considered interchangable with the "Beast of Bray Road" label. Nothing about the sightings seems to have changed - they are still in the same area, and the descriptions are roughly similar, so nothing seems to have really changed.
Of course, the original series of sightings described creatures variable enough that it is something of a stretch to lump them all together anyway, unless you really do believe the Beast of Bray Road is a shapeshifter.
So, is the "bear-wolf" just a new label to replace an older label? Yes.
Is the Beast of Bray Road the same creatures as the bear-wolf? It totally depends on whether you even consider the original sightings to be of one creature.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Mad_ferret
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: The Aluminum king of insanity

Re: Hmmm yes..

Post by Mad_ferret »

nekocj wrote: Apparently there was this soviet union base which was attacked by wolves! These were well armed soviets and survivors claimed the wolves could get on their hind legs and no matter how many times they shot them they never died. This is a true story this base did get attacked by wolves, who completely wiped out the base aside from said survivors, although its not certain whether they were really werewolves or not, and in fact the police in the area were actually issued silver bullets for their guns. No joke.
Please tell me where you got this information :lol: :howl:  :oo
"When the wolf bane blooms,
And the autumn moon is bright
Man may become a wolf." ~ Wolf by Iced Earth
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Bear-wolf? Well, a combination between human and wolf would end up looking somewhat bear-like I think, so it would be possible I guess.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Silverwolfman
Legendary
Legendary
Location: Cambria,Wisconsin away from other lycans like myself, man it gets lonely here!!!

Post by Silverwolfman »

I've lived in wisconsin all my life but i havent seen the beast. i wanna find it sometime soon so i can find out whether or not its real its driving me insane i wanna know.
neomoon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Iberian Wolf: Author & Musician
Additional Details: Author of Walking Wolf Road, Of Wolf and Man, the World of Darkness trilogy, Secrets of the Underground, and The Wild.
Mood: Busy

Post by neomoon »

The new book "Hunting the American Werewolf", has some really good stuff in it. There's a lot of really wierd stuff (trust me, way 'wierder' than in the previous Beast book), and some interesting theories, and some pretty twacked out ideas and sightings, but it gives more fuel for the quest to figure out the truth about these phenomina. Also, there are a number of similarities to "Three Men Seeking Monsters" by Alan Redfern, which I didn't particularly care for, as well as "Hunt for the Skinwalker" a fairly new book that came out last year, I can't make out the author's name from my bookcase though *damn blind wolf ><*)
Brandon M. Herbert
:read: Therianthrope Author of Urban Fantasy, Young Adult, and Horror novels http://www.BrandonMHerbert.com
Walking Wolf Road - YA Therian Urban Fantasy - Autumn 2014 - http://amzn.com/1468072757 - http://www.facebook.com/BrandonMHerbert
Silverwolfman
Legendary
Legendary
Location: Cambria,Wisconsin away from other lycans like myself, man it gets lonely here!!!

Post by Silverwolfman »

wierd i'll scope it out later on. gotta get back to my school work.
Werewolves are seen as cold blood killers to some. In my eyes we're all part of this world and must be accepted not rejected or driven away.
nekocj
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Hmmm yes..

Post by nekocj »

Mad_ferret wrote:
nekocj wrote: Apparently there was this soviet union base which was attacked by wolves! These were well armed soviets and survivors claimed the wolves could get on their hind legs and no matter how many times they shot them they never died. This is a true story this base did get attacked by wolves, who completely wiped out the base aside from said survivors, although its not certain whether they were really werewolves or not, and in fact the police in the area were actually issued silver bullets for their guns. No joke.
Please tell me where you got this information :lol: :howl:  :oo
Ah heck someone had to ask me to find that :lol: I wanna say I read it in "The Werewolf Book" by Brad Steiger, but I had have to go through it again to be sure, and if not there then it was an issue of Fate, either/or. I did read that somewhere though, and I have been trying to verify this story by trying to find some sort of actual record that the soviet police were in fact issued silver bullets, but it is hard to find a whole lot of info on Google that doesn't have to do with the Soviet "Werewolves" i.e. Hitler's own little group of super soldiers or whatever lol. Let see there are NeoNazis that call themselves Werewolves, and Yugoslavia has it's own "werewolves" kind of like our Navy Seals or Marines I guess, like the elite, so it makes it a little more difficult to filter through to find that info. I have loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong lost that issue of Fate that I'm almost certain had mentioned it, but I'm also sure it is mentioned somewhere in Brad Steiger's book if not it's own chapter, it should be mentioned somewhere. If anyone else has info on this please be so kind as to help. Thanks.

-Neko

P.S. I really did read that somewhere, so it's just something I've made up, it's just I read that about 4 or 5 years ago.
Silverwolfman
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silverwolfman »

wierd stories huh. but what if its true? :?
Werewolves are seen as cold blood killers to some. In my eyes we're all part of this world and must be accepted not rejected or driven away.
neomoon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Iberian Wolf: Author & Musician
Additional Details: Author of Walking Wolf Road, Of Wolf and Man, the World of Darkness trilogy, Secrets of the Underground, and The Wild.
Mood: Busy

Post by neomoon »

Sounds a lot like the plot for Dog Soldiers, if it's true, I wonder if that was an influince on the movie(s) (hopefully soon plural)

I remember reading something similar; but it was a German base.
There was this village in Germany where it is said the last werewolf was killed, and they lit a candle that never go out, to keep the spirit of the werewolf from returning; one day years ago, the candle did indeed go out; and at a nearby German military base, they had an intruder alert and the witnesses claimed they saw a creature that walked upright like a man, but with the head of a wolf, run away, and vault (one smooth jump) the high perimeter fence. When they brought out dogs to track it, the dogs refused the trail. I can't recall if silver was issued in that instance or not; it's in a couple of my books, and all over the internet.

Exerpt from http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/werewolf.html#morbach

"The Morbach Monster
Anonymous
Have you ever heard of the Morbach Monster?
I first learned of the legend while I was stationed at Hahn Airforce Base, Germany. Morbach was a munitions site just outside of the villiage of Wittlich.

Supposedly Wittlich is the last town where a werewolf was killed. There is a shrine just outside of town where a candle always burns. Legend has it that if the candle ever goes out the werewolf will return.

One night a group of security policemen were on the way to their post at Morbach, when they noticed that the candle was out at the shrine, and all joked about the monster.

Later that night alarms were received from a fence-line sensor. When the security policemen investigated the call one of them saw a huge "dog-like" animal stand up on its back legs, look at him, and jump over the 7 1/2 foot chain-link fence. A military working dog was brought to the area where the creature was last seen, and the dog went nuts, not wanting anything to do with tracking the creature.

This occured around 1988.

There have always been "ghost" stories dreamed up by bored security policemen, but this is one I have heard over and over again. Thought you might find it interesting. "
Brandon M. Herbert
:read: Therianthrope Author of Urban Fantasy, Young Adult, and Horror novels http://www.BrandonMHerbert.com
Walking Wolf Road - YA Therian Urban Fantasy - Autumn 2014 - http://amzn.com/1468072757 - http://www.facebook.com/BrandonMHerbert
Silverwolfman
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silverwolfman »

very true. it does. that movie was good but if its true beware the dog soldiers
nekocj
Legendary
Legendary

Post by nekocj »

that's an awesome story neomoon! Thanks for sharing that. I haven't heard that one but there a lot of stories online about German Werewolf units. I think it was actually mentioned in one of Linda Godfrey's books that when soldiers were fighting some german units they thought the Nazis actually had glowing red eyes and the heads of wolves or something to that effect. War can do things to you I'm sure :lol:

German General: "So you are und an American from Wisconsin, ja? Und vhy do you want to join our German army?"

Beast of Bray Road: "Roooowr!"

German General: "Very well und sign ere und ere."

Beast of Bray Road: "Growwl!"

hee hee :o

-Neko