Pre 1907 WereWolf Valentine

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.
garouda
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Do You Believe In Magic ?

Pre 1907 WereWolf Valentine

Post by garouda »

Stumbled across this. I don't know what it means. If the powers think this belongs elsewhere or is more spamish than interesting, feel free to do as you please.

WereWolf Valentine

Has anyone seen anything like this before ? Or know precisely what it is ?
The change, does it wrack the bones and rend the flesh ? Yes, indeed it does. But is this pain and agony alone ? No, in fact hardly at all. It is the Sacrament of the Moon. The flesh flows and so do the endorphins. It is, in truth, the agony ecstatic; The Pain That Is Pleasure
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Nope, nothing like.

Sure gives the "Vampires are the only sexy/romantic monsters" story a run for its money, doesn't it? :love:
ImageImageImageImage
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Well, that's not something I ever expected to see. It would be interesting to know that thing's history.
Sanity is relative.
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

I'm interested in the history of that thing.

However, if it is really pre-1907, then I doubt that it is really supposed to be a werewolf, since in that time period, that style of visual representation generally represented a satyr or a wildman, both of which were symbols of lust and would be appropriate on a Valentine.
In that time period, werewolves were generally represented in art as far more wolfish, often as actual wolves, not as pointy-eared hairy guys.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Kamara
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kamara »

I can see where they would make the reference to a wolfman but personally it looks more monkey-like the longer I look at it.
Kewl old image :)

Kamara
"Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and b****-slap the motherfu*ker upside the head...."
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

That was really cool thanks for showing us! I really wonder about its history and what it was really representing.
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Facinating...

...I would like to know the story behind this as well...

Though I agree that it was probobly not originally supposed to be a werewolf, but some other mythical man-beast. (Such as a Satyr).
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I'd be very surprised to see something intentionally werewolfish from that era and a 'civilized' area.
Sanity is relative.
garouda
Legendary
Legendary

Post by garouda »

Well lets compare The Valentine

against:

Lon Chaney Jr, as the wolfman
The change, does it wrack the bones and rend the flesh ? Yes, indeed it does. But is this pain and agony alone ? No, in fact hardly at all. It is the Sacrament of the Moon. The flesh flows and so do the endorphins. It is, in truth, the agony ecstatic; The Pain That Is Pleasure
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

garouda wrote:Well lets compare The Valentine

against:

Lon Chaney Jr, as the wolfman
I admit it could certainly count as a werewolf today, but Lon Chaney Jr. isn't pre-1907. The way people depict mythical creatures can change a LOT over time. Basically, the "wolf man" look was extremely rare in the years before 1935, to the extent that people might have laughed at anyone who drew such a picture and tried to call it a werewolf.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
garouda
Legendary
Legendary

Post by garouda »

I suspect, that in 1907 or earlier, lots of folks would have looked askance at someone handing out valentines such as that one.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

garouda

Very cool find! Werewolf or not, its interesting. :grinp:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend