Looking for a lost werewolf legend.

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Looking for a lost werewolf legend.

Post by Rhuen »

I believe it was from around the Rhine river region. But the internet has been a poor source for finding anything but the most well known stories. It has been years since I found this story. The basics I think is that a woman supposedly had a child by a werewolf who had passed through the area and when this was found out the authorities killed the child (who was a kid age by this time I think) and when the werewolf returned he trashed the local monistary and killed the priest or bishop or what not (who had condemned the kid) before disapearing.

Maybe Its not all that famouse because unlike the more common ones to find the werewolf gets away at the end.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Ashkin-Tyr
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: On the scotch tape of reality, third door to the left.

Post by Ashkin-Tyr »

First time I heard about this legend. I will try looking it up and see if I can find anything about it.
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Looking for a lost werewolf legend.

Post by Jamie »

Rhuen wrote:I believe it was from around the Rhine river region. But the internet has been a poor source for finding anything but the most well known stories. It has been years since I found this story. The basics I think is that a woman supposedly had a child by a werewolf who had passed through the area and when this was found out the authorities killed the child (who was a kid age by this time I think) and when the werewolf returned he trashed the local monistary and killed the priest or bishop or what not (who had condemned the kid) before disapearing.

Maybe Its not all that famouse because unlike the more common ones to find the werewolf gets away at the end.
I know a lot more of these than most people do, but I don't remember this one. I think, however, that I might have read a similar legend but with a different sort of shapeshifter as the absentee father. Can't recall the details, though.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Jamie wrote:
Rhuen wrote:I believe it was from around the Rhine river region. But the internet has been a poor source for finding anything but the most well known stories. It has been years since I found this story. The basics I think is that a woman supposedly had a child by a werewolf who had passed through the area and when this was found out the authorities killed the child (who was a kid age by this time I think) and when the werewolf returned he trashed the local monistary and killed the priest or bishop or what not (who had condemned the kid) before disapearing.

I know a lot more of these than most people do, but I don't remember this one. I think, however, that I might have read a similar legend but with a different sort of shapeshifter as the absentee father. Can't recall the details, though.
Thinking back to it, I remember it said the father took the form of a wolf to meet the mother (which has made me think it was a werewolf), but it might have been an Incubus, something I hadn't known about way back when I came across this story.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Rhuen wrote:
Jamie wrote:

Thinking back to it, I remember it said the father took the form of a wolf to meet the mother (which has made me think it was a werewolf), but it might have been an Incubus, something I hadn't known about way back when I came across this story.
Hmmmmm. I'm trying, but I'm just not remembering anything useful.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!