any legends mention ways to un-become a werewolf?

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The hip-hoppinest, nacho-lovinest lycanthrope

any legends mention ways to un-become a werewolf?

Post by nachoboy »

i was wondering. the title of this thread basically says it all.

i don't mean to say that if i was a werewolf, i would wanna become a not-werewolf. i imagine that could be very restricting and unpleasant. you know, being able to shift and then being stuck as a human just like all the normal humans? that could be lame :cry:
i was just curious.

any info would be apreciated.
nachoboy
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
"It is a widely known fact that ALL werewolves love Malt-o-Meal."
http://djnacho.deviantart.com
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Hmmmm....the undoing...

if magical....say the chant and poof!! You're normal again.

That or drink a potion.

Simple as pie.
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by nachoboy »

thanks for the info. :howl:  :oo

that clears that one up.
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

You could avoid eating meat for seven years straight. I've personally tried it, but it's a lot harder than it sounds. Along the way I accidentally bit into things with meat about on average once a year. (I've also intentionally eaten meats outside of my personal banned list, since I'm not technically vegitarian per se, so much as not eating anything that was tortured before it died.)

You could stand in the same place for one year straight, and not move. Even harder to do, and I forgot were this legend originates. This one also makes even less since, since the vegitarian legend at least annoys the wolf out of you. I guess the wolf gets bored to death faster with this one.

You could be forced back to human form if someone calls you by your Christian name. But, the catch is, many of us are werewolves in the first place because we never bothered to get baptized in the first place. So, pbbbt!

Most legends don't mention a cure because it's assumed to be a voluntary thing. The "cursed" werewolf bit is actually fairly contemporary. Classic werewolf lore was less about shape-shifting creatures and more about sorcerers who employed magic to shift. Thus, therians who meditate on shifting may technically be closer to the legends than hypothetical literal physical shifters, even if we don't have the coolness factor of actually transforming into anything other than a person with an active imagination.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

I think the seven to nine years one said to avoid eating people in that time.

For magic they wait till morning or they just take the magic belt or skin off and instantly become human again.
"the way it works for most traditional werewolves"

For the Loup Garou though its a little tricker. when in wolf form you're crazy and someone has to draw your blood with out killing you, then you become human again, but if either you, the person that drew your blood, or anyone else that saw you change back talks about it to anyone with in 101 days then you'll revert to the insane wolf form again never to come back.

Others can have it that you just become seriosuly injured "probably where Hollywood got the idea where you revert when killed" which is also part of many myths but hollywood seems to ignore that just being seriously injured was enough.

Or if someone recognizes you and says your name. Some versions say if a family member recognizs you and calls you by your name.

There are many ways to go back to human.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
RedWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by RedWolf »

In one medieval legend, human <--> wolf shapeshifting is linked to clothing. In 1198, Marie de France, a Breton writer, composed "Bisclavret," also known as the "Lay of a Werewolf." In this tale, a shapeshifter/knight regains human form after his clothing is returned. The reverse transformation is apparently triggered when the wolf smells the human scent on his own clothing.

Websites:
http://www.klotz.org/SCA/mudpuppy/bisclavret.htm
http://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/Lai_de_Bisclavret
http://www.monsieurtoussaintlouverture. ... avret.html
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by nachoboy »

thanks for all the info you guys. guess i better read up more next time :read2:
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Wow...I couldnt do the not eating meat one, Scott. I think I might die eating a vegetarian's diet. I am a proud carnivore. :)
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Look, Ma! He's smiling!"

Post by Moon_Lover »

Agreed. Let us sear.
*Tosses a steak to MoonKit, tapping it with his own in a toast-like fashion*
You can run, you can hide, but I'll still pounce on you and lick you silly.
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by nachoboy »

yeah. man, that there beef sure can be tasty. and lamb. and pork. and chicken. ooh, those crazy,lil, runnin-around chickens. tasty.

but still, the standing still one would be hard, too. not moving for a year?

and anyways, who on this website would really go to very many lengths to un-become a werewolf? I mean, man!
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

I'm lost in a forest, all alone...

Post by Scott Gardener »

Most of the legendary methods don't really "cure" anyone of lycanthropy so much as induce a shift temporarily back into human form.

And, it's true that most of us here are more interested in curing the condition of not being able to shift.

I want to write a story at some point about a werewolf trying desperately to find the cure, doing spellwork and magic, and then ending up running into Robert Smith, lead singer of The Cure.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by nachoboy »

sounds interesting, scott. you have fun with that.
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

You guys have mentioned most of them. But you forgot a biggie. Probably the most common method mentioned in legends of curing a werewolf (or trapping it permanently in human form, which pretty much amounts to the same thing) is to burn the magic object (belt, salve, wolfskin, or even something weird such as a magic hat) that causes the transformations (this is also very common in non-werewolf shapeshifters).

Conversely, it was sometimes thought that burning the clothing that the werewolf had taken off immediately before the transformation would trap it permanently in wolf form.

Then, much farther down the list in terms of frequency, there are a bunch of weird random things such as:

-teaching the skills to another werewolf cures the original werewolf (found, rarely, in Romania and Russia)
-getting the werewolf to formally renounce the werewolf lifestyle
-exorcism (used originally because all magic-users, including werewolves, were thought to be demon-assisted, so if demons couldn't get near the werewolf it wouldn't have any powers, however, in the 20th century, the rare fundamental Christians who still believe in werewolves took to interpreting werewolves as possessed, so that exorcism would work for that reason too)
-various magical ceremonies other than exorcism that were specifically supposed to rid werewolves of their powers
-contact with running water (like many of the methods mentioned earlier in this thread, this was sometimes just supposed to force the werewolf back to human form temporarily rather than outright cure it)
-for the type of werewolf that couldn't be injured by normal means, managing to injure it in any way, even with just a pinprick, was often a cure
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Merrypaws
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Merrypaws »

In one book I read it said that the curse could be lifted by death or hitting the werewolf three times on the forehead with a stick. (No kiddin'.)

The death part is a bit of a two-edged sword, however, for many sources claim that people who die as werewolves very easily turn into vampires after death.
Do we really need the solution? Couldn't we just enjoy the problem for now?
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

The one cure I always hear about, is killing the werewolf that bit you before your first full moon transformation.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
wolfwing
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by wolfwing »

It may not nescarily be before your first moon, but kill the werewolf before your first human kill, so you could go a few moons or years, but if you ever kill a human while a werewolf your soul would forever be damned...:> Least from what a few sources I've read, though I doubt many here would believe it to be damned.
Kamara
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kamara »

The act of the enchanter (operating either on himself or on a victim), and another was the removal of the animal belt or skin.
To kneel in one spot for a hundred years, to be reproached with being a werewolf, to be saluted with the sign of the cross, or addressed thrice by baptismal name, to be struck three blows on the forehead with a knife, or to have at least three drops of blood drawn have also been mentioned as possible cures.
Many European folk tales include throwing an iron object over or at the werewolf, to make it reveal its human form.

A few more :)

Kamara
"Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and b****-slap the motherfu*ker upside the head...."
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Sorry-Caffiene levels are getting low and I'm getting silly...
(That's why I'm called RedEye)

1. Wash fur in cheap drying shampoo, rinse.
2. Use a blow dryer on your fur so it sticks out all over.
3. Curl it, and dye it pink or blue.
4. Put Fur up in ribbons.
5. Congratulations! You are no longer a WereWOLF: you're a WerePOODLE!
---Well, you said un-become a Werewolf..... :lol: and that's about as un-becoming as I could think of..... :P
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Kamara
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kamara »

RedEye wrote:Sorry-Caffiene levels are getting low and I'm getting silly...
(That's why I'm called RedEye)

1. Wash fur in cheap drying shampoo, rinse.
2. Use a blow dryer on your fur so it sticks out all over.
3. Curl it, and dye it pink or blue.
4. Put Fur up in ribbons.
5. Congratulations! You are no longer a WereWOLF: you're a WerePOODLE!
---Well, you said un-become a Werewolf..... :lol: and that's about as un-becoming as I could think of..... :P
:lol: :P :evillaugh: :roflmao:

Hee I needed a good laugh!

Kamara
"Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and b****-slap the motherfu*ker upside the head...."
Snowskin
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Snowskin »

i read that giving the werewolf the last rights after or upon death will prevent it bieng a werewolf after death (eg. werewolf ghost/reincarnated as werewolf)
not all who wander are lost
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Oy! What if the Werewolf were Jewish? Last rites? what last rites? :P
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Jessie-Simone
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Shewolf
Mood: Happy

Post by Jessie-Simone »

:? Silver nitrate poisoning into the blood.
Thanks to Sae-Kurosawa
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

Wow, I'm sorry but I agree with the queation "Ewwwwwww - Why?"

I've never studied it. I would guess, however, this whole "kill the one that made you." idea is also used on how you can stop being a vampire. It sounds cool, really, but I don't see how in magic, or logic that works. If I kill the person who gave me a cold, chicken pox or AIDS, it won't cure mine. If a mage dies, or you kill him, would all the magic he did become undone? So that doesn't work for me.

It would depend on how the transferrance happens. The Pack decided that the transfer was based on a disease from the bite. If it's a virus, then maybe there's a substance that would attack the virus. I don't want to go further - don't want to give anyone a successful idea!
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Silver wrote:Wow, I'm sorry but I agree with the queation "Ewwwwwww - Why?"

I've never studied it. I would guess, however, this whole "kill the one that made you." idea is also used on how you can stop being a vampire. It sounds cool, really, but I don't see how in magic, or logic that works. If I kill the person who gave me a cold, chicken pox or AIDS, it won't cure mine. If a mage dies, or you kill him, would all the magic he did become undone? So that doesn't work for me.

It would depend on how the transferrance happens. The Pack decided that the transfer was based on a disease from the bite. If it's a virus, then maybe there's a substance that would attack the virus. I don't want to go further - don't want to give anyone a successful idea!

Ha!! That would make a great comic strip!

:jester:
wolfsangel
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: if i sing a song will you sing along?...

Post by wolfsangel »

an old legend speaks of "kill nine remove the sign" in other words kill nine other werewolfs bitten by you or the one that bit you and you will remove the sign of the werewwolf.
easiest question yet. :nerdwolf:
...or will i just be singing right here by myself.
come on down!