A pseudo-werewolf effect I plan to have in a story ...

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.
Chibiabos
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

A pseudo-werewolf effect I plan to have in a story ...

Post by Chibiabos »

I'm not sure where to post this. I'm not actually posting the work, so I don't think it goes in Creative Den. By no means is this any attempt to alter the werewolf canon ... this is just something I had in mind for a story that turns the common werewolf process on its ear.

In the story, there are two main characters: a female human warrior and a large, sapient non-morphic wolf (who cannot speak human language and thus, she can't understand him aside from interpretting his mannerisms and actions). She first encounters the wolf when she is hunting after Fomorians (demonic beasts ... kinda similar to orcs or ogres, ferocious and very capable warriors). She's hunted hundreds of them and is very capable and confident; unfortunately, she gets a little too confident and falls for a trap. She gets cornered and defeated by the Formorians. They ... well ... abuse her, wrap her in a massively thick chain with weights and toss her in a lake to drown her.

Underwater, she can't quite make out what happens. She can feel darkness and cold setting in, and just when it seems she's on her last heartbeat, the next thing she knows, she's on dry land; a large -- nearly the size of her horse, in fact -- nonmorphic wolf has not only rescued her but defeated all the Fomorians.

She doesn't know what to make of him, but obviously he's saved her life. She's unable to talk with him (he cannot speak her language, though he seems to understand if she tells him something).

Anyway, they travel together; he helps her fight Fomorians and they go through a lot of battles. She becomes mortally wounded in a battle, losing a lot of blood. With no time to go get the help of a healer, he's faced with a decision, the only way to save her life ... is to give her some of his own blood. He tears into his own vein and puts it to one of hers.

Of course its all physically impossible, different species wouldn't have the same blood type, etc., but its a low-tech fantasy setting.

He knows what the cost will be and was reluctant to do it, but it was the only way to save her life. The result is that, over time, as her body gets used to his blood, she begins a partial transformation into a wolf.

Its sort of werewolf turned on its ear, because its not a wolf or werewolf's bite and drawing out blood that causes the transformation, but taking a wolf's blood in.

Is that so horribly wrong for werewolf fans that no one would like the story? Is there a story out there that uses anything similar?
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

I like that idea! :D
That's the first time I have heard of something like that though.
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

welll thats cool :D
Chibiabos
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Chibiabos »

Does it even qualify as "werewolf" if it doesn't follow the formula of originating from a bite from a wolf/werewolf?
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Look, Ma! He's smiling!"

Post by Moon_Lover »

I will be perfectly honest: it is semantics.
What we are used to is a bite in the werewolf movies. Same goes for vampires.
My thought is the same as bar1scorpio and his characters version of werewolfism. It is simply the passing of enzymes. The rest is history.
You can run, you can hide, but I'll still pounce on you and lick you silly.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

It's a perfectly acceptable concept. (At least, other than the aforementioned sudden horrific death from anaphylaxis coupled with disseminated intravascular coaggulation. But, hey, it's fantasy. You're allowed to do magic things that work differently.) I think it's a great one. It also makes a bit more sense, from a metaphoric stance.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
deruty
Legendary
Legendary

Post by deruty »

There a alot long words there, we be nothing but humble pir...I mean wolves
WordWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ad bestiae Christi

Post by WordWolf »

Hey,
if "Werewolves of Luna" can be considered a werewolf story despite having no change, no wolf, and no werewolf, then this one fits as well.
RoseMacska
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by RoseMacska »

Looks interesting. I think most were stories defy science as we know it in one way or the other. More power to the ones that avoid them, but it would be too restrictive to the were stories I want to create.

I read a story where all a blood transfusion from a werewolf to a human gave the human temporary heightened senses including night vision and increased strength but in a few days the pure human was back to normal and not a werewolf himself.

This was Jared's Wolf by MaryJanice Davidson. A paranormal romance that is very explicit (not for minors to say the least). Also this author's works would be where I saw the "Werewolf as species not disease" model. Being bitten by or having sex with a werewolf does not change a pure human into a werewolf.
Tock
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: Dark Moon, the time of humanity.
Mood: Indifferent

Re: A pseudo-werewolf effect I plan to have in a story ...

Post by Tock »

Sounds like a book I'd read. I like the concept, especially with the wolf only being able to hint her.
"Sometimes, when the moon is full, I feel invincible..." -- Markus