A blessed wolf

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.
Nomuh
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

A blessed wolf

Post by Nomuh »

I recently found out that we have a local story about the first priest who came to town, and only managed to convert the people living here after he had blessed a werewolf, who immediately turned back into a human and was cured.

A neat trick that makes you wonder why it was necessary to kill any werewolves at all. :?

Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Spongy »

Huh. Brings up a good point. Why kill when you can bless :D
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

Because people like killing other people?
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

So a blessing from a priest cures lycanthropy?!?

Whatever you do, don't ever sneeze in a Catholic church!
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Silverwolfman
Legendary
Legendary
Location: Cambria,Wisconsin away from other lycans like myself, man it gets lonely here!!!

Post by Silverwolfman »

duh its like in coming sneeze *aaachooo* the priest "bless u my son" :pope: dammit i'm human again.
Werewolves are seen as cold blood killers to some. In my eyes we're all part of this world and must be accepted not rejected or driven away.
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

Hmmm, I wonder if chruches would be warded against werewolves. If a priest had the power to "cure" lycanthropy, curse or otherwise, I can't imagine it would be dificult to ward a church. At least that would fit in with superstition.
Silverwolfman
Legendary
Legendary
Location: Cambria,Wisconsin away from other lycans like myself, man it gets lonely here!!!

Post by Silverwolfman »

dont know about taht. even if u are a lycanthrope and a priest can cure u of it, whether a curse or soemthing else, i think some lycans would go to a certain church looking for it while others would just stay away from it entirely.
Werewolves are seen as cold blood killers to some. In my eyes we're all part of this world and must be accepted not rejected or driven away.
W53
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Re: A blessed wolf

Post by W53 »

Nomuh wrote:I recently found out that we have a local story about the first priest who came to town, and only managed to convert the people living here after he had blessed a werewolf, who immediately turned back into a human and was cured.

A neat trick that makes you wonder why it was necessary to kill any werewolves at all. :?

I know this is an old post, but I am really intrigued by this local folktale. What is the town? And where is the image from-- a mural/reproduction illuminated manuscript? I'd love to learn more about this story.
GvnDarklighter
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by GvnDarklighter »

I agree, I'd like to hear more about the legend as well.
Black Claw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Hidden Archer
Mood: Excited

Post by Black Claw »

Could be true, but maybe in a different culture or time. :howl:  :oo
I am the guardian of the light and darkness,
I am the one who whispers in the dark,
I am the eyes of your soul,
I am the shield,
I am the sword.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

According to the legends surrounding St. Francis of Asisi; there was a Wolf who was bothering a village and the Saint intervened.
He made an agreement with the Wolf that in return for not eating the sheep and slow villagers, the vilage would feed him; and supposedly the whole thing was recorded by the town's Notary.
Some versions of the story even have the Wolf attending Mass on a regular basis, and treating the people of the viillage as his packmates.

That might work on Werewolves, too. :roll:

If anyone's interested, I'll dig up the citation for you. :wink:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

I know there's a version of the story here: http://www.americancatholic.org/Feature ... es.asp#wol . For some unknown reason I bookmarked it when I read it, can't remember what I was researching at the time though. Hope the link's useful.
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.
Mood: Happy

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

RedEye wrote:According to the legends surrounding St. Francis of Asisi; there was a Wolf who was bothering a village and the Saint intervened.
He made an agreement with the Wolf that in return for not eating the sheep and slow villagers, the vilage would feed him; and supposedly the whole thing was recorded by the town's Notary.
Some versions of the story even have the Wolf attending Mass on a regular basis, and treating the people of the viillage as his packmates.

That might work on Werewolves, too. :roll:

If anyone's interested, I'll dig up the citation for you. :wink:
sounds like a plan. lol :lol:
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
W53
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by W53 »

RedEye wrote:If anyone's interested, I'll dig up the citation for you. :wink:
That would be much appreciated!

I'm also still trying to figure out where the image in the original post is from. If you have any ideas, please share!
" 'Marietta says that we must not be hasty. [...] They will hunt by daylight, which offers no threat to us. And then, soon, she believes that they will come to their senses. But I remember the hunt, and I can't share her faith.' "
--"Nadya" by Pat Murphy, p.88
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Midnight beat me to it. Look at his link.

In fact, I believe there is a statue in Gubbio today, honoring that wolf and supposedly marking its grave.

That was one smart wolf; it no longer had to hunt for food. Wolf psychology suggests that said wolf might even have "adopted" the town as its ersatz "Pack".

Now if we could only get that concept made real: Feed Wolves and they won't kill your cattle, etc. Why work for food if the Smoothskins provide it for free?
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

RedEye wrote:Feed Wolves and they won't kill your cattle, etc.
Sorry I didn't quite catch you. Are you saying this does, or doesn't, work in real life?

Granted there's all kinds of different behavioral things wrong with feeding wild wolves, and it's probably a bad idea. But this seems like it would work, at least for a little while.
W53
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by W53 »

RedEye wrote:Midnight beat me to it. Look at his link.

In fact, I believe there is a statue in Gubbio today, honoring that wolf and supposedly marking its grave.
Now just to solve the mystery of that image... contemporary reproduction of an illuminated manuscript, mural...? I've been Googling but haven't yet been able to place it. Thanks for the tip on Gubbio.

The person who originally posted is based in Scandinavia (I think?) which makes me wonder how that tale was translated to be "local" if it originated with St. Francis...
" 'Marietta says that we must not be hasty. [...] They will hunt by daylight, which offers no threat to us. And then, soon, she believes that they will come to their senses. But I remember the hunt, and I can't share her faith.' "
--"Nadya" by Pat Murphy, p.88