Welsh Werewolf Folklore

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Welsh Werewolf Folklore

Post by Jamie »

I found the following article online. It is an excerpt from a book about ghosts:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northeast/gu ... wolf.shtml
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Cool story... 8)
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

Yeah i saw this too, why dont they just give this "unknown" wolf speices a diffrent name then were-wolf, so its not confused
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Yeah i saw this too, why dont they just give this "unknown" wolf speices a diffrent name then were-wolf, so its not confused
The reason is because this is werewolf folklore, just distorted through time. People retell their old tales with a different spin. As Europeans began being ashamed of their werewolf folklore, they began reinterpreting old tales. "Werewolves" were said to be unusual-looking wolves with a taste for human flesh, instead of people who changed into wolves. There were also other explanations given. For example, I've come across quite a number of American werewolf legends where some cryptozoologist is hell-bent on interpreting it as a Bigfoot, even when the creature is clearly established in local folklore as a werewolf.
You might compare it to certain fairy abduction legends that have shown up with practically no changes, but now being interpreted as aliens. I'm sorry, but if it looks like a little old man in green trousers, lives in a fairy hill, has magic powers that align perfectly with fairy lore, and doesn't have a spaceship, it is still a fairy!
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!

Post by Guest »

Well, the novel version of Wolfen was about such a species, actually, and they were called, guess what, Wolfen :wink: Or Canis lupus sapiens, scientificly.
Cassandra
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Cassandra »

hmmmmm....im getting more and more interested by the moment! :o
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Professional Air Guitarist

Post by Black Shuck »

Me too! I've heard of the Bray Road Beast and one in France, but never this Welsh one- I like it! :D I believe in the French one I heard about somwone actually shot it and had it stuffed and it was display for awhile until it disappeared. The building caught on fire or someone stole it something...I can't remember. Quite interesting reading the comments on that site though :lol:
Image<-- Don't Do Crack (character from South Park)
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

You don't get much from Google you have to look
Welsh? I like the Welsh...
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."