Werewolf mythbusters

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Re: Werewolf mythbusters

Post by RedEye »

Now, that makes sense. Sadly, wolves will attack humans if said humans threaten them...which makes them normal in my book. In North America, there wasn't the competition for food that there was in Europe, where we get most of our "Big bad wolf" stories from.

Since Werewolves are fictional beings (and happy to be considered fictional, too) shooting a wolf to see if it "changed" after death would most likely get the offender locked up twice; first in Jail and then the looney bin.
Wolves are still endangered, and shooting them is still a crime, even though the courts had to decide that last one...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
lunarwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Trying to run free
Additional Details: I look beyond the line of what a lot people call FACTS.... Because just because it's name MYTH..... Does not mean it does not exist.

Post by lunarwolf »

How about this IS anyone in the occult or does black magic and i'm not talking about for laughs or good time i mean as a religion. (Just curious) So we can bust this myth.
The truth...ha...why does it matter to you? You really don't want to know the truths I know....
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Three answers:
1. Yes. Have been most of my life.
2. No. There is no spell I'm aware of outside of cheap movies that can change you into a wolf.
3. See that key that looks like a dot (.)? It's called a Period. Use it, please.
lunarwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: I look beyond the line of what a lot people call FACTS.... Because just because it's name MYTH..... Does not mean it does not exist.

Post by lunarwolf »

Huh? What do you mean i used a period.
The truth...ha...why does it matter to you? You really don't want to know the truths I know....
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

(Drops ears and stares) Yes, you did use a period. Now, try using the rest of normal punctuation as well. :evil:
Because otherwise you sound like you dont know anything about english and dont care if anyone can understand you or not.
Because, otherwise, you sound like you don't know anything about Englilsh; and don't care if anyone can understand you- or not!

Note the differences...Okay? :)
lunarwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lunarwolf »

Forgive me for my improper punctuation. I not a real expert at it, but my sentences are understandable from what i know. Thank you by the way for trying help me improve. But I'm here to talk about the werewolves (and possibly makes some friends on the way) not for a lesson, and i apologize if i done something to offend you i meant no intention to harm your feelings. Anyway i have a few question's are you just into black magic or not. The reason why I asked the because is I am curious about the black magic ways. By the way I found some sites that said there are some religions that use magic that believe in wolf transformations.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

While this is not the place to discuss it; a short bit about Black Magic...

Black Magic is not something to get involved in. Where Magic is based on work and exchange, Black Magic seeks to avoid that by any means at hand.
Using others to help power a Working:
With their agreement, White Magic
Behind their backs, and thinking you're so-o-o clever, Black Magic.

Making an annoying person go away:
By making them happy, 2000 miles away; White Magic
By making them afraid of you, and making them run five feet; Black Magic.

There is always a price to pay in the Work. Good works = Pleasing price
Nasty stuff = you eventually realize you can't hide forever.
You Get what you Give. Sometimes more.
And the only reason I could read your post was the fact you used good punctuation. Thus you get an answer. :D
lunarwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lunarwolf »

Thank you, by the way ummm where would I talk about magic. I just like to know stuff about this (actually i need to know stuff about this).
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

For discussions of a General Nature not necessarily involved with Werewolves and their attachments and optional special bits,
try the General Stuff thread.
It's the Open Forum in these Forums.
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

Sorry, not really on the current topic (though it does go along with this thread):

http://picklejuice13.deviantart.com/art ... y-85169620

Just thought I'd give everyone a laugh... :lol:
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

There's a fine yarn I read once called "Only the end of the World, again.", which involved a Werewolf which ... well, pretty much saved the World. The townspeople knew he was a Werewolf and talked about it, fairly tongue in cheek. At one point, there was this huge discussion around him about what would make one a Werewolf, lots of ideas were raised. The barmaid even had the nerve to ask him, quite the scene.

I bring it up because of all the things that were mentioned, it was a Neil Gaiman story, and he tends to research things particularly well, and some examples were mentioned that not even I'd heard of.

I'm going to dig out the comic book adaption I have a little bit later and transcribe it here.

Oh and ... oh dear, that's awful, Celestial, but in a good and funny way.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Most people who practice magic as part of a religion do not use the terms "black magic" or "white magic." Those are descriptors used by outsiders, to resolve philosophical discrepancies that do not exist inside the context of most Neo-Pagan religions. Wicca teaches a "Threefold Law," proposing that whatever intentions one sends out when working magic will return with greater force, and thus it is not in one's best interest to practice magic with ill-will in mind. But those of us who practice Wicca don't generally refer to ourselves as "white witches" or practicing "white magic."

Instead, the terms "black" and "white" are applied probably by Christians who were raised with the belief that employing magic is somehow evil or the work of Satan. When those same people got to know some Pagans and discovered that they were in fact nice and likable people who did not find infants a particularly appetizing source of nutrition, they got to know the internal beliefs of Paganism a bit more and had to unlearn notions of "us against them." But, it's hard to unlearn a fundamental core assumption, and thus perhaps the idea surfaced that "well, they're using magic, but they're on our side, so it must be a different kind of magic than the ones the devil worshipers are using." Never mind that the devil is a Judeo-Christian construct that for the most part does not carry meaning in Wicca beyond intellectual discussion and historical perspective about how mean the medieval churches were to us.

We don't call it "black magic" or "white magic" because we don't divide the universe into black and white, at least not in the metaphorical sense of good and evil. (Yen and Yang are sometimes labeled "black and white," and a masculine / feminine polarity of the universe sometimes comes up, but the two are partners rather than sworn enemies.) I have yet to see anyone who intentionally practices what outsiders would label "black magic," though some work with spookier imagery than others.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Magic is magic. An axe is an axe.
Use the axe to cut wood to warm people on a cold night; that's good (White)
Give Jack Nicholson an axe in a haunted hotel; that's bad (Black)

Whether magic is "White" or "Black" is based on what the caster's intent-of- outcome happens to be. It isn't the magic; it's the intent with which it's employed that is "Black" or "White".
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

I actually really like that explanation, RedEye.

It reminds me of the arms equation, the reason guns in some countries aren't given to people isn't because guns are anthropomorphised and thought of as evil, per se, but simply because of the intent of the individual. It's all too clear that large segments of Humanity have a very shaky grasp of ethics, and some people just can't get their minds around such a concept at all.

If you were to put a gun into my hands, I would refuse it on the grounds that I'm not trained to use it, and I'd end up doing more harm than good regardless of the scenario. If a gun was put into the hands of someone with a strong sense of ethics, they'd only use it as a last resort, within the scope of their own rules, defined by their grasp of ethics. However, put a gun into the hands of someone whom couldn't be bothered with ethics, and they'll probably end up shooting you with it.

In the end, a gun is designed to do harm, but it's an object, a tool, like any other. And the motivation of the person is the overriding factor. It's true that most of Humanity isn't responsible, doesn't grok ethics, and that's why places have gun control, but that doesn't necessarily make guns evil. Guns are just constructs, good/evil as Human concepts can't be ascribed to them, only to those who use them.

I'd imagine the same is true in a magical World, each kind of magic is simply a tool in and of itself, it can be destructive, and perhaps some are designed to be destructive, but how they're perceived by other people is defined by the magic user. The way I see it in my mind is that magic, in any World, would probably just be a form of reality-shaping, filtered down into many subsets. How it's manifested is down to Human intent.

If every Human had a good grasp of ethics, then there would be no "black" magic, because no one would perceive magic use negatively enough to give it that title.