Question about other shape-shifters...

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Question about other shape-shifters...

Post by Dreamer »

Were there any other types of shape-shifters in mythology as well as werewolves that could be used in my writing as werecreatures? And can ya give me some links as to info on them?
XIV
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Why is nobody botherign to answer my question?
XIV
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

I used to often role play as a shapeshifter who could turn into any creature he could observe. I'm not sure what you would call that, but I just generally call it a Shapeshifter. Twas fun.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

Just about every culture has there own shapeshifter(or several), and you could use any animal under the sun. Good luck.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

The Greeks had shapeshifters that could turn into Wolves (my-oh-my) as well as sheep, cattle, and even semi-divine critters.

Shape-shifting was an attribute of Divinity in one's bloodline, according to the Romans (they had Werewolves, too)

What's the real interesting part is that they had reverse Shape shifters in Greece and Rome, as well as Egypt and Canaan: Animals that could turn into Humans. (Why is anyone's guess)

In just about every sort of Shape-Shifting; there was a Divine blessing (not a Curse) that enabled it. In the Odessey, Circe turned some of Odessius' sailors into pigs (shore leave will do that...) and Hercules fought a group of people called the Lapiths (?) who could be either humans or a sort of small centaur at will.

Even the old Gods wern't above reshaping themselves as animals-ususlly to either spy on or seduce someone. They also would reshape a human into an animal either as a reward or a punishment for some action.

I get the sense that much of this was part of a "Watch what you ask for" concept that was common among the more evolved cultures; as well as a reminder that your a** (Donkey, ok?) might be a God in disguise-watching you for some reason.

There were also unfriendlies out there who could look human in the daylight and turn into various non-humans at night...Sphynxes, Lamiae, and Striges come to mind here.

All in all-most cultures (including ours) have a whole plethora of shape shifters out there... watching us from the shadows... :evil:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Defensorem Lupus
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Being Frank
Mood: Relief

Post by Defensorem Lupus »

I read a series by Alan F. Troop at DragonNovals.com
You should check it out, it involves shapeshifting.
This is the first thing that got me into shapeshifters, which then, after watching Dog Soldiers, led me to get into werewolves.
The wolf is neither man's competitor nor his enemy.
He is a fellow creature with whom the earth must be shared...
If the wolf is to survive, the wolf haters must be outnumbered.
They must be outshouted, out financed, and out voted.
Their narrow and biased attitude must be outweighed by an attitude based on an understanding of natural processes.
-Dr. L. David Mech
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Kaebora wrote:I used to often role play as a shapeshifter who could turn into any creature he could observe. I'm not sure what you would call that, but I just generally call it a Shapeshifter. Twas fun.
There's a series of books(and one tv season)...Animorphs....where like six kids were given the ability to change into any creature so long as they had physical contact with it. So it could get pretty dangerous trying to touch a tiger. You'd have to find one first! Seeing it would be so much easier.

And for Dreamer, I've read (briefly) of Shamans even shapeshifting into plants. :? :lol:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise

Post by Kaebora »

Yeah... too bad those Animorph books were kinda the suck. The TV series wasn't all that great eaither, IMO.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Question about other shape-shifters...

Post by *nagowteena* »

Dreamer wrote:Were there any other types of shape-shifters in mythology as well as werewolves that could be used in my writing as werecreatures? And can ya give me some links as to info on them?

hmm, well even before I ever was on the internet I thought of werecreatures / weres, to be of all different kinds of animals, and I don't really know much about them at all, since I don't really look around, but I must say this is an interesting topic.

Now you've encouraged me to look around! :P
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Post by Avareis »

There once was a hunter that went in search of a game. He searched for the a tiger, for the pelt and the medicine it held. Along came a tiger and the hunter killed it. He took what he wanted and left the remains, which included the unborn litter. The hunter went home, proud and unscathed. He took his time and even camped out until the morning, and when his family would see him it would be a new day, for happiness and honor. While the hunter was sleeping, the hide that was draped over him merged with him and he became a tiger. When the hunter awoke, he went back home as the sun rose, just as he planned. But, when he stepped foot into the village, he was stabbed through the heart upon seeing his family running away from him. He died, the hunter and became a ghost to look out and watch after his village.

This was a story that came from Thailand. My grandfather told it to me when I came to visit. Out of all the old, happy stories that I know of that came from Thailand, he chose this one....I think he knew that that would be the only time he would ever know his grandson.
In many ways, this is a were story. There are other stories about tigers and kitsunes that I know of, but this tale of transformation really sticks out in my book.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

That was a pretty story actually. :)
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.
Mood: Happy

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

Yes i agree that was a sad story for the femaale tiger but a good story none the less.
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

The Japanese had Kitsune, fox-demons that would shape-shift into humans to trick them into things.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Searif Bogard wrote:The Japanese had Kitsune, fox-demons that would shape-shift into humans to trick them into things.
Indeed! Where do you think I got the line after my Signature????
They're cute, too... :wink:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

RedEye wrote:
Searif Bogard wrote:The Japanese had Kitsune, fox-demons that would shape-shift into humans to trick them into things.
Indeed! Where do you think I got the line after my Signature????
They're cute, too... :wink:
haha, they can be if they aren't stealing your money :lol:
Tock
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: Dark Moon, the time of humanity.

Post by Tock »

Yeah... too bad those Animorph books were kinda the suck. The TV series wasn't all that great eaither, IMO.
I actually quite liked the Animorph books...
"Sometimes, when the moon is full, I feel invincible..." -- Markus
RedWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by RedWolf »

>This was a story that came from Thailand

Is this another version of the story?
http://miculturelink.h-net.msu.edu/curr ... uiltlg.jpg

The Hmong people live in northern Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and China. According to some websites, Hmong mythology often features weretigers. The Chinese name for the Hmong, "Miao," is regared as quite derogatory, perhaps because it imitates the sound made by a domesticated cat.