Fenrisulfr

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Meh...

Fenrisulfr

Post by Sebiale »

Just occured to me after looking through some Norse mythos, what does Fenrisulfr (Fenrir) mean, like a translation of it.
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
Lycanthrope
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Fenrisulfr

Post by Lycanthrope »

Various unconfirmed sources I've found say, that "Fenris" (or "Fenrir") translates as "from the swamp". "Ulf", "ulfr" or "ulfur", stands for "wolf".
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

So, basically, 'Wolf from the swamp?'
BTW, is it 'from [i]the[/i] swamp', or 'from [i]a[/i] swamp'?
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
fenrisz
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: devourer of gods!

Post by fenrisz »

fenris is just its name and they are different translations of the name no fenris is not from aa swamp he is the son of loki his sister is hel the ruler of under world half woman and half dead his brother jormungand the serpent that encircles the sea biting his own tail he has two children skoll and hati chasing the horses that draw the moon and sun the story of fenris is after his birth his sister hel was thrown into the under world and brother into the ocean while he wwas allowed to stay in asgard because he didnt seem to be a threat though he grew at and amazing rate and soon the gods began to fear him so they came up with a plan they had the strongest chains forged massive chains wrought from iron and steel they took the chain to fenris and said " you are incredibly powerful but prove to us your power let us bind you with this chain and if you can break free from it you are trult powerful " so he agreed eager to show his strength so the completly bound his entire body with the chain and with a flex of his amazing muscles he broke the chain easily so the gods went back even more afraid and had an even stronger and larger than the last and did the same thing again fenris accepted the challeenge of his strength again the bound him with the chains and this time with slightly more difficulty he again broke the chains
now the gods fearing his power even more they turned to the dwarves they made a magical chain called gleinpher it was as thin as a ribbon but stronger than any metal so for a 3rd time the gods approached fenris and challenged him with this ribbon he at first decllined the challenge being suspicous and thinkin their is no honor in breaking such a weak lookin chain but the gods convinced him by making a deal though fenris was suspicious he said he would allow them to bind him if one of them would agree to put his arm in fenris mouth as a precaution that they were not attempting to deceive him when they had finished binding him fenris thrashed and struggled his hardest against the ribbon thin chain but could not break it with all his might when he could not he bit tyres arm off the only god who was brave enough to put his arm in fenris mouth and the god who raised fenris since he was a pup fenris remained bound by the gleinphir untill ragnarok when the foundations of the universe will shake and he will break free to devour odin the head god
this isnt really a detailed version of the story more like a summary but i love this story out of them all and i love to tell it when i saw the titel of this thread i knew i had to get in on it also happens to be my name but mostly i just love telling the storyof fenris/fenrir/fenrisulfr it all depends on the language it translated into but hope you guys enjoyed it you ever got a question on norse mythology im your guy :D
"the art of forgiveness is not one we're taught"

I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept
Lycanthrope
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lycanthrope »

Sebiale wrote:So, basically, 'Wolf from the swamp?'
BTW, is it 'from the swamp', or 'from a swamp'?
I can't tell, I'm afraid. None of the sources explained it. Mind that many languages don't distinguish between "a" and "the". I don't know if that's the case here.
fenrisz wrote:you ever got a question on norse mythology im your guy :D
:D
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

[quote]fenris is just its name and they are different translations of the name[/quote]

So there is no actual translation?
fenrisz
Legendary
Legendary

Post by fenrisz »

well i guess you could find some kinda meaning behind it like any name like george if you trave it back relates to the word geo and was common name for farmers those who worked the earth but really its just his name like thor is another name they dont have much deeper meanin then that and if they do they dont really hold much importance to the stories and ya they called the marshy lands in the area fens but that has no relation to his name but good question and i got to talk about fenris so im happy :D
and what i meant by its just a translation is for every language that has translated it into their own language then into english its slightly different like any language there isnt always an exact word in english as there is in the original i think fenris is the swedish translation of it but not sure personally its my fave version not sure why though mostly because when i say fenrir people think im talkin about harry potter and thats kinda annoyin

I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

That also applies to other languages. The Roman emperor Agricola had a noble name. It meant "Farmer". So he was Emperor Farmer.

Sometimes it's best to let names just be names. As an example, try any of the "baby name" books around. They tell you what the name for your kid will mean, in the original tongue. It will also tell you what your name means. :lol:

Please don't blame your parents for what they named you. They probably didn't know. :(
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
fenrisz
Legendary
Legendary

Post by fenrisz »

my real name means ally :D im a freind to those in need!! :borgwolf: as a robot wolf evidently

Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

Are all current versions of the name in the Nordic descendants langauges? Which was his original Nordic name, if we know it.
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

RedEye wrote:Please don't blame your parents for what they named you. They probably didn't know. :(
remembers reading a book with a major character in it who's mother named her "Anathema" because she thought it sounded like a nice name for a girl...
fenrisz
Legendary
Legendary

Post by fenrisz »

... was it really in a book or is it your name!!! just kiddin i dont know maybe it is your name though

alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

Fenris (Fen) is also the name of one of my lead character's in HOD. While I deviate majorly from Norse mythology in the story of Hour of Darkness, I did study Norse mythos. As ya'll know the story follows a certain Fenrir (my male lead) on his quest to bring ultimate change to his dying world. In short in HOD the Fenrir is a good guy... but I do promise that sooner or later the Destroyer will eventually make an appearnce as well as the mighty chain that binds the Fenrir, Gleipner.

I'm sure HOD will give Norse buffs some mean eyes, but then agian, I'm not writing Norse mythology but using segments of various mythologies to create my own.
fenrisz
Legendary
Legendary

Post by fenrisz »

well i got a few questions about that i suppose the first is what is HOD and i think it interesting that you make fenris a good guy when he is always shown as a kinda bad guy in the myths he is the one who is the son of loki who was a giant and killed balder the son of odin fenris later on kills odin him self and hati and skoll two other wolves kill the horses who carry the sun and moon and as it is in most myths wolves are portrayed as the bad guys so i like the idea of a good fenris think it would be interesting but i still like the original fenris storyy the most out of all the norse myths but im also glad to hear that you have some facts in your story thing w/e hod is and hour of darkness but its good you at least use the gleipner and you can always put tyre in there the only god brave enough to face fenris and put his arm in the great wolfs mouth a** well the only one willing to feed him and raise him when he was a pup

Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Fenrisz, use punctuation please. Reading your posts is annoying.
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

fenrisz wrote:well i got a few questions about that i suppose the first is what is HOD and i think it interesting that you make fenris a good guy when he is always shown as a kinda bad guy in the myths he is the one who is the son of loki who was a giant and killed balder the son of odin fenris later on kills odin him self and hati and skoll two other wolves kill the horses who carry the sun and moon and as it is in most myths wolves are portrayed as the bad guys so i like the idea of a good fenris think it would be interesting but i still like the original fenris storyy the most out of all the norse myths but im also glad to hear that you have some facts in your story thing w/e hod is and hour of darkness but its good you at least use the gleipner and you can always put tyre in there the only god brave enough to face fenris and put his arm in the great wolfs mouth a** well the only one willing to feed him and raise him when he was a pup
The fact is this, HOD (Hour of Darkness) is not a good source for finding facts about Norse mythology. I took great liberties adapting segments of Norse mythos as well as many other mythological views of wolves and werewolves to create HOD's mythology. Still, the people that know Norse mythology and the Fenrir legend, will find little tidbits of lore to smile at... After all if I was a wolf, Fenrir would be my hero. :lovestruck:

There are plenty of Norse related terms that will be used through out HOD, such as Ragnarok, Odin, Tyre, Garmr, and I already mentioned Gleipner. Just as the Fenrir is a good guy in the script, each of these things will appear a bit differently as they did in the Norse legends. I can't really say too much, as much of the information ties to segments of the HoD saga such as its second and third part. If you review some tidbits about the project, you can see it on my thread. As HOD is planning for eventual production, I can't really share too much about the actual story, at least on this board.

Like I said, I'm not trying to write Norse mythology, I am just trying to create an epic story, that freely using world mythology and world views on wolves in general to create something beyond imagination.
fenrisz
Legendary
Legendary

Post by fenrisz »

nice your gonna use the hell hound garm as well huh thats cool. if you want id be more than happy to give you details or some terms or names of items and people in the stories.
i get all my info from my books of norse myths the book is called the norse myths "written" by kevin crossley its not really written by him just put into a book its very reliable and the major stories as well as break down of chharacters very good book i recommend it to norse myth fans
as well i apologize fore my lack of punctuation honestly sentence configuration and grammar have never been my strong spots but ill try to force myself to remember from now on. please forgive me if i forget though its something i get often from my teachers if i dont force myself it usualy becomes one huge run on sentence.