Help needed about werewolf legends.

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Help needed about werewolf legends.

Post by Uniform Two Six »

Kveldulf wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:39 pm Uniform...don't suppose you could give me any specific references to the "full moon being fairly well established by the end of the Roman Empire", could you?
Actually, I was referencing the Satyricon. I misremembered the quote as having been a full moon... That said, a moon shining like the sun at noon (or whatever the exact quote was) is a pretty near approximation. I will, however, admit that the Roman connection to discarding clothing figures more prominently. I think it's actually an interesting literary element: Casting away one's clothing symbolically allows one to cast aside one's humanity as well and become a beast. And the Satyricon isn't the only place in werewolf mythology where that little gem crops up if memory serves.
Wolfguardian
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Custom Title: The Wolf Guardian

Post by Wolfguardian »

I'm not sure if you can locate it but there is a book that has been in my family for ages that might have what you are looking for its named "Eireaball Chonall" or in English "The tail of Conall". It's a Gaeilge text liked to my ancestors if you can find a copy there have been a few floating around, it has information that might assist you.
MiraRoss
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by MiraRoss »

I believe they can shift when they want not all require the full moon