Feedback on Forum Guidelines

The place to discuss things relating specifically to The Pack
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

Feedback on Forum Guidelines

Post by takyoji »

Given that the current forum guidelines are about a decade old, especially as some of the vocabulary feels a little dated, and that there's some oddities and probably some things missing, I figure it's about time to redo some of it.

Nonetheless, are there any recommended changes anyone has? Also, are there any good examples of guidelines from other communities/websites that it could strive to be?

Some points could be:
  • The mandatory necroposting ("post in existing topics") probably kills conversation of any newer waves of members
  • Probably shift 'no swearing' to 'no excessive profanity' instead, with limitations
  • "Don't discuss illegal activity" would probably be better phrased instead as "don't conspire, plan, or orchestrate in illegal activity on the forum", as the former probably has more Draconian of misinterpretations.
  • Perhaps 'no hacking/DDoS' could be changed around to prohibiting any clearly abusive activity, while any light pentesting is fine as long as there's 'responsible disclosure'.
  • Perhaps shift from 'no explicit content' to allowing moderate/fictional gore/violence, as long as it's labeled in the topic name, and maybe permitting some forms of adult-rated content only in 'adult' forum sections, if that idea is permissible.
  • Focus on a more simpler point of "be excellent to each other" or something, as the core basis of the guidelines.
  • Iterate what we do to all the little unsuspecting trolls/preteens that claim to have capability of physically shifting into a werewolf or similar
  • Rewrite it more professionally, rather than in the style of my past 16 year old self
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.

Re: Feedback on Forum Guidelines

Post by Meeper »

The illegal activities rule is an awkward one. I've heard of cases (ancient history, so no sources unfortunately) in which there was no distinction between the depiction of illegal activities in works of fiction, and actual illegal activity. The reason being that simply describing the machinations of an illegal activity can be inherently subversive, and in some cases attempt to use "fiction" as cover for deliberate and maliciously subversive content. You could even get stung for even mentioning that a fictional character is smoking the righteous 'erb for example, because it can put the illegal activity on the map in the mind of an impressionable reader, who may go on to indulge for real.

Profanity and illegal activity could have two separate spaces:
1)A "Mature" art and fiction forum in which mature themes are acceptable providing the content isn't willfully encouraging, promoting, aggrandizing, or legitimizing profanity and illegal/subversive activities out of its own context.

2) The regular discussion forum, in which cases of illegal activity need to be properly contextualized for the purpose of discussion, but similarly not promoted and whatnot.

Admittedly I'm struggling to present the case here, hopefully someone else with a clearer vision of what I'm trying to convey can help out.

That's all I got for now.

The Meeper.

P.S. *Edit* On a side note, ratings tags built into the forum for content in a mature section would be cool. Not everyone will want to read f-bombs or see boobs, even in the mature section.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary

Post by takyoji »

As for built-in rating/tags, I had the idea of adding custom BBCode codes relating to content rating. Perhaps like surrounding a section with [mature] and [/mature], or similarly just [rating=mature] (Mature Content) [/rating], which would then automatically hide or show, based upon user preferences. Note, this would only be more for "lighter" maturity of content, while anything more mature would strictly be enforced to only being posted to a respective group-restricted forum sections (that'd only be visible by members of an "+18 group").

Profanity is already filtered and masked.

Avatars would still have to be completely PG.

And lastly, I wouldn't want the lenience of said rules to be misinterpreted as "you're allowed to be an asshat", people would still have to be civilized. I hold the belief that some profanity is fine, as long as you're not directing it at somebody (e.g. "f*** you" versus "sh*t, that sucks").

Nonetheless, I understand there is also some risk of bringing in certain undesirables, if more mature of content is permitted.
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Chance
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: There is joy in everything you do, you just have to realize it's there so you can embrace it.
Mood: Happy

Post by Chance »

I would like to comment on just a few things here.

Necroposting: I've been paroosing,lol, the old threads as there's not a lot of convo going on and every now and then you find something worth making note of with a comment. Also as stated in another thread, peoples opinions change over time so they may want to voice that without editing a post from a few years ago. Necroposting can bring life back to an old convo, if there's actually people talking.

Mature/Adult content: I would like the board to stay PG-17. If we allow "adult" content, the next thing you know you've got werewolves getting busy behind an easily maneuvered age gate. And, yes it could possably bring people we don't want to really associate with onto the board, and given there are a range of ages that could become a real problem. Regardless of board preferences "adult" content is a bad idea. You can't have PG-13 and R-rated in the same space, and that's without the extra headace of "adult" content. All you have to do is search the troubles many other well used sites have had and you can imagine what would happen here.

Mature/Illegal content: The code rating would work well for this. Although if you're going to implement it, do so knowing it's only to cover your own behind. If a preference setting it what keeps someone from seeing this contect, I think we have to know , the rating is purely for show. Only an adult who doesn't wish to see this contect will use the preference setting and given how easy it is to join the board we need to see the reality of what would really happen. As Meeper said with the " fiction" comment, (how I took it anyway) is all it takes in one person to act on that fiction, say they saw it here, and this forum is front page news.

Be excellent to eachother: this should be a core code of conduct for all members. Harrassers and Bulliers should not be permitted to continue posting or remain a part of the community as that kind of activity violates that core code. Once of course the actions have been reviewed. No if ands or butts! If your gonna set a standard it should be upheld and in joining the forum you agree to uphold that stardard.

I do think that some tweeking of forum guidelines is a good idea, however. If we're gonna tweek the kind of content that is allowed on the board we have to ask ourselves. What kind of community we're after, will we like that community after it's all said and done, is it more trouble than it's worth, and what does that tweek really bring to forum besides people.