Regarding 'Freeborn'

The place to discuss things relating specifically to The Pack
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Re: Regarding 'Freeborn'

Post by Silverclaw »

I'm pretty sure we will never see Freeborn get made. I hope I am wrong; I loved the script/the whole concept/the old news updates/ect. I know trying to get a movie made takes a very long time and all...but I suspect that they aren't trying all that hard to get it made anymore. I know old talk of signing up Timothy Albee as a werewolf designer has fallen through. When I asked Albee at Anthrocon about him still working for Freeborn, he told me that he never heard back from AB after there first initial conversations. He seemed upset by the subject when I brought it up...
If they still cared about this movie/The Pack, I would think AB or Silver would visit here at least a couple times a year. Or even once a year. :/
Maybe one day AB will remember/cared about Freeborn and try to get it started up again. But until that day happens, I really don't see this movie happening anytime soon. Which is a shame, considering all the potential a film about non-evil/bloodthirsty werewolves have. The only movies remotely touching that is Teen Wolf 1/ 2 and New Moon/Eclipse, which is kindof sad.
I really hope AB/Silver and team have a change of heart. It would be great for moral to hear something from them. This is honestly the best time to try to get a werewolf movie made. Especially about heroic werewolves. Capitalize on the Twilight craze and all.

At least there are the projects people here are working on. I'm still looking forward to yet-to-be-made/aired projects like HOD/Guardians of Luna/ect. And maybe, by some slim chance, we will get to see Freeborn, or a project derived of Freeborn someday.
Wyla
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Singing dog

Post by Wyla »

After taking 5 minutes to google things - take a look at Anthony's facebook or twitter. Not only is he busy with another film but after what him and his wife have been going through I'm not surprised it has been quiet lately! I seem to remember him mentioning that he wanted to make this idea a reality when he had good funding and such for it, so that it was made how he wanted it to be. Not just thrown out there on a budget simply to get it done. *shrugs* If it is still planned to go ahead someday then here's to hoping Red Victoria and all of his upcoming works get him the exposure he so rightly deserves, after that Freeborn may be in with a chance ;)

Wishing him and Maegan all the best for a swift recovery.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

"Freeborn" could go the "Novel" to "Movie" route. That works where a plain screenplay won't.
And yes, right now AB&co are decidedly busy and having issues. That will pass; and remember that Hollywood (and financing) go through cycles of what gets made and what doesn't.
I'm of the opinion that Freeborn or something very much like it WILL get made, but it will be when the time and finances are right. Not before.
Still, Freeborn's concept is miles ahead of what's out there right now. Give things time to catch up.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

If Cats and Dogs 2 can get made, I have the utmost confidence that sooner or later, we will see Freeborn. Hey; in a few months, the Chevy Volt will finally be out.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

RedEye wrote:"Freeborn" could go the "Novel" to "Movie" route. That works where a plain screenplay won't.
The problem with that being that then it'll get picked up by some douche bag that just wants to cut scenes out of the book, hire some useless teens and old B-movie backs and a cheap-as-free FX crew, slap his name on it and take the money and run before the fans of the novel realize they've been suckered (such as what happened with The Golden Compass and The Last Airbender).

As I said on Page #1, Anthony had the chance to just sell Freeborn and leave it at the mercy of the execs, but the answer from the Pack then as to whether or not he should do such was a resounding no.

Ask yourself: What is more important? Getting the movie done right, or getting it done right now? Because the way things are at present, you can't have both.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

Honestly, I would rather see Freeborn not being done at all if doing it means AB has to give those idiots in Hollywood any creative control over the project. Anybody remember the "lesbian werewolf sex scene" request some prospective studio made a couple of years back? I mean, Jesus. If AB has to just abandon the project in the end, at least I will still have the trailer (which was personally more fulfilling in and of itself than any full-length werewolf movie since AWWIL back in 1980), because I can just lay back and let my imagination go wild with what it might have ended up like.

Note: I don't wish this outcome to happen, but I would rather not see it at all than see it and be disappointed.
nekocj wrote:However Anthony is a little busy. Meagan has breast cancer
Oh, damn. I hadn't heard that. Any whining I might be making, that just sort of puts things in perspective. Good luck, AB and MB. :(
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Uniform Two Six wrote:Anybody remember the "lesbian werewolf sex scene" request some prospective studio made a couple of years back?
:jawdrop: Oh my gawd, I hadn't even heard that one. Just those four words together brought back nightmares about another movie called Darkwolf.

No, no, gawd no, If Anthony had let them do that to the movie, I'd probably have lobbied to get the dedication to the Pack taken out.

That seriously just solidified my stance on Freeborn to the core. The only Freeborn I want to see is the one we -- not some douche with a clipboard full of useless demographics -- inspired Anthony to create.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Uniform Two Six wrote:
ABrownrigg wrote: I almost HAD freeborn financed 3 years ago from a smaller studio, but dropped the deal on their behest of adding a lesbian werewolf sex scene, and trying to turn it into a horror film.
??
HOLY MOTHERF-[182Kb of gratuitous swear-words deleted by moderator]
:D
FoxKnight
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: Account in stasis
Mood: Indifferent

Post by FoxKnight »

I'd love to see Freeborn be made but it will be a while until it is. I guess I'll just stay until whenever it does get made ^-^
preventerwind01caca
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by preventerwind01caca »

I believe anthony will make the movie just be patient people !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Now celebrating the almost 1-year anniversary of this thread without a peep from Anthony! But I'm sure Freeborn is right around the corner!

Sarcasm aside, Anthony Brownrigg gives us news about Freeborn maybe once a year, and it's always the same thing. Where once this board was full of his most avid supporters, now he's abandoned it, and we him. Right now he's involved in some kind of awful-sounding indie zombie movie called Archaic Redemption with a cast that makes SyFy originals seem like blockbusters.

Years ago, it was assumed that he made Red Victoria to try and drum up professional interest in Freeborn. Obviously that's not the case, given what he's up to these days, and if those words came from his own lips, I'm confident that he was only trying to sate us for a short time, and that it was never really his intention for Freeborn to be his next step. (Even if it were true, his attempt was a failure, considering Red Victoria remains almost unheard of except in obscure horror blogs, and it languishes on the IMDB with a score of 4.1 out of 10.)

I blame him for promising so much and failing to deliver. He should have never made that teaser trailer (which is now almost 7 years old) and blown up the hype among werewolf fans without following through. There are other members on this very board whose scripts and projects have already made it further than "Freeborn" and in a fraction of the time.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Berserker wrote:I blame him for promising so much and failing to deliver. He should have never made that teaser trailer (which is now almost 7 years old) and blown up the hype among werewolf fans without following through. There are other members on this very board whose scripts and projects have already made it further than "Freeborn" and in a fraction of the time.
Such as?

No offense, but need I remind everyone that Anthony's interest in werewolves and werewolf fans began when he was chosen to direct a low-budget direct-to-DVD movie called Devoured?

I am starting to suspect that making Freeborn is now one of his long-term goals, but I won't believe he's outright "abandoned" the Pack until I see a low-budget direct-to-DVD craptacular movie called Devoured (and with all the pissing and moaning that the Pack has been doing in this last year, I frankly wouldn't blame him if he did).

Like I said before, Anthony had the opportunity once to make Freeborn, albeit with some douche bags that wanted to rape the script (say it with me everyone: "lesbian werewolf sex scene"). Back then, everyone here at the Pack said they were content to wait.

What happened between then and now? When did everybody suddenly start acting like six-year-olds with weak bladders and Anthony's the one holding up the bathroom?

And FYI, 4.1 isn't too shabby for a movie that could make even The Blair Witch Project's budget seem bloated by comparison. I really pity you if you thought Red Victoria was going to be blockbuster material. It wasn't -- far from it actually, and it got that 4.1 rating from idiots that were judging it in comparison to blockbusters. But considering what little he had to work with, I thought it was alright.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Heck yeah. RV was absolutely awesome by itself. Ten times so when you consider that it essentially didn't have a budget. Besides, even if Freeborn were to come out right now there would be the same thing since you have with Being Human coming out on SciFi, and this new Red Riding Hood movie coming out. It would get compared to those two when Freeborn is almost something of an anti-werewolf movie, at least from what few tidbits I can gather.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Terastas wrote: What happened between then and now? When did everybody suddenly start acting like six-year-olds with weak bladders and Anthony's the one holding up the bathroom?
Actually, nothing happened. Anthony's been in the bathroom for 6 years, so I wouldn't call our bladders weak. Anyway, I'm fine with the fact that he talks to his fans less than once a year. What makes me sneer is whenever I see naive enthusiasm for what is essentially "vaporware."
I really pity you if you thought Red Victoria was going to be blockbuster material.
I didn't.
It wasn't -- far from it actually, and it got that 4.1 rating from idiots that were judging it in comparison to blockbusters. But considering what little he had to work with, I thought it was alright.
The movie got as many chops from underground horror fans as it did accolades. No one compares Red Victoria to big budget blockbusters, in fact all the reviews I've seen have judged it on its own merits. Many are positive, but just as many are negative. Suffice it to say, Red Victoria was not the "break out" that AB needed to move beyond his ultra-indie roots and start getting budgets approved for grander projects. That's merely my point.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Berserker wrote:Anthony's been in the bathroom for 6 years, so I wouldn't call our bladders weak. Anyway, I'm fine with the fact that he talks to his fans less than once a year. What makes me sneer is whenever I see naive enthusiasm for what is essentially "vaporware."
Well, hey now. George Lucas had to get his feet underneath him before he could do the whole Star Wars franchise. His whole view looking back on when American Graffiti was finished, was "Okay, now I can go do movies I want to do." The reality is that the financing just isn't there for AB to do Freeborn without having to let some studio dictate what the movie is going to be. Right now, the only interest that any studio has in it is the fact that Freeborn already has something of a "cult" following even though most of us haven't even seen one sentence of script. Getting at that built-in interest is its only selling point right now. Otherwise, they don't really get it -- don't think anyone else will get it -- and don't think they can sell it. Until AB can get it through their skulls that he's got something new here, he's not going to get financing by any serious studio unless he lets them rape the script until it's every other piece of crap out there. Hollywood is hard.
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

To be fair though, it's hard to keep up hope and enthusiasm for a project when the fanbase that first inspired and jumpstarted it hasn't gotten any new info in years.

Seriously, no script updates, the teaser is over half a decade old... we're running on fumes here.
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Okay, granted, but supposedly AB is involved in another project. True, it's a remake, but given audience attitudes, that may make it more marketable right now. I'm still holding out hope that if AB makes enough of a name for himself, he'll get back to Freeborn at some point.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Film-making technology is getting to the point that fan films made at home on a shoestring budget can have pretty impressive visuals. Fan tributes to Star Wars and Star Trek are popping up online with visual effects that out-do the original 1960s and 70s features. Granted, one still has to have good actors. But, there may come a time when one no longer needs millions of dollars and studio backing to get good visual effects.

Red Victoria was filmed on a budget of less than $5000; a great director and a solid cast made the film. But, granted, Brownrigg wrote Red Victoria around what he already had; he scripted the story around his house and the tools and people around him. His wife's script for Freeborn pretty much mandates a bigger budget, with multiple settings, equipment to work with those settings, and ideally a top notch special effects makeup and animation company. However, with rapidly evolving digital technology, it may soon be possible to green-screen and render a lot of what traditionally has to be done live. If Star Wars level visual effects are available to anyone with an iMac these days, then imagine what will be possible when kids think that Avatar looks a little old and dated?
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Scott Gardener wrote:Red Victoria was filmed on a budget of less than $5000; a great director and a solid cast made the film. But, granted, Brownrigg wrote Red Victoria around what he already had; he scripted the story around his house and the tools and people around him. His wife's script for Freeborn pretty much mandates a bigger budget, with multiple settings, equipment to work with those settings, and ideally a top notch special effects makeup and animation company. However, with rapidly evolving digital technology, it may soon be possible to green-screen and render a lot of what traditionally has to be done live. If Star Wars level visual effects are available to anyone with an iMac these days, then imagine what will be possible when kids think that Avatar looks a little old and dated?
This sounds kind of like what Tim Albee said in the commentary on Kaze: Ghost Warrior. Likewise, somebody I know through another forum once told us that motion cap software and accessories can retail for around $10K nowadays, so anybody with the patience to do everything else on their own time really could make a CG movie at home.

Tech advancements generally do one of two things to the industry: Make it of better quality, or make it cheaper. The former has been the most prevalent in the media, but signs of the latter are all over the place as well, such as with the explosion of "Flash" toons that accompanied the CG boom, or as Scott mentioned, the FX-heavy "Youtube channel" programs like Annoying Orange or the aforementioned tribute videos.

The only possible problem I can think of that might be Brownrigg's own fault is that he's of an age where it's easy to get stuck in a line of thought. He's been in the business long enough that he should at the very least know what is required for the market he's been working in, and probably long enough that he could give you an estimate for something like budget or production time off the top of his head just by comparing to previous projects he's worked on.

His estimates may not be accurate, however, partially because theatrical releases aren't the market he's most familiar with, and partially because they will be based on past experience, which may not be accurate for an industry so heavily intertwined with what has been the most rapidly progressing industry (computers) since the 80s.

I say this because he may have shelved Freeborn thinking "I can't do this until I get a X budget" at the time, but that might not be the budget he needs anymore and might, in fact, not even be what he really needed to begin with.

So I'm still confident that most, if not all of us will live to see Freeborn. Might not be on the big screen like we were originally hoping for, but with Youtube and podcasting taking off as they are, I don't think the big screen is going to remain as important or prestigious to the media industry as it is now anyway.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Even if you have the money AND equipment to make a life like computer animation film, it's possible for it to have the worst openings. Look at "Mars needs Moms." The computer animation was mind blowing. But why did that film bomb? Look here. ---> http://www.newsy.com/videos/mars-needs- ... ings-ever/

Disney claims the market is over saturated with computer animated films. That's their claim on why "Mars needs Moms" bombed at the box office. Phfffft!! PUH-LEEEEZE!!! The story line SUCKED!! YUCK!! The CGI was great. I'll give you credit for that. But THAT story line...EEWWWWW!

Now...what about Freeborn? Is the market over saturated with werewolves? Is the world ready for werewolves to dominate the big screen? I don't think so. I am extemely puzzled at what the people really wants. If I was a film maker, what can I make that'll draw everyone's attention? Let me see what everyone likes at the moment. Hmmmmm......."My Little Pony Friendship is Magic." Okaaaaay. Grown men really likes that show. So what can I make that'll draw their attention? "Friendly female werewolves with cute butts?" Errrrr......I don't think so. :jester:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Figarou wrote:Even if you have the money AND equipment to make a life like computer animation film, it's possible for it to have the worst openings. Look at "Mars needs Moms." The computer animation was mind blowing. But why did that film bomb? Look here. ---> http://www.newsy.com/videos/mars-needs- ... ings-ever/

Disney claims the market is over saturated with computer animated films. That's their claim on why "Mars needs Moms" bombed at the box office. Phfffft!! PUH-LEEEEZE!!! The story line SUCKED!! YUCK!! The CGI was great. I'll give you credit for that. But THAT story line...EEWWWWW!
On top of that, the movie was called "Mars Needs Moms." They might as well have titled it "Stupid-a** Turdburger of a Family Film," because that's what most people thought when they heard the title.
Now...what about Freeborn? Is the market over saturated with werewolves? Is the world ready for werewolves to dominate the big screen? I don't think so. I am extemely puzzled at what the people really wants. If I was a film maker, what can I make that'll draw everyone's attention? Let me see what everyone likes at the moment. Hmmmmm......."My Little Pony Friendship is Magic." Okaaaaay. Grown men really likes that show. So what can I make that'll draw their attention? "Friendly female werewolves with cute butts?" Errrrr......I don't think so. :jester:
Are werewolves over-saturated? No, I wouldn't say so.

Unfortunately, they are associated with what will undoubtedly be the greatest shame of our generation for centuries to come. I speak, of course, of the Twilight series.

Werewolves aren't over-saturated so much as plagued. There's only one movie that features them prominently, but it's so flaming awful and so shamelessly over-promoted that it feels like over-saturation.

So I have a feeling that Hollywood won't be ready for any more werewolf or vampire stuff until at least one year after Breaking Wind Pt. 2 comes out.

As for the whole My Little Pony thing (and BTW, I shall confess here and now that I am, in fact, one of the bronies), I think the appeal of that is that it's A) genuine, and B) different. The characters are very well crafted and multidimensional, the humor is 50% clever and 50% homage to Looney Toons, and the resolution rarely comes from either violence or sharing/caring.

Which describes practically nothing else on TV right now.

Seriously, want to know why I love MLP:FIM? I can sum it up in six seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDxZnwvSra4

I wrote in my BTV page that I thoroughly expect the industry to respond to its success with a slew of other toy line sell-outs, but what I'm hoping the smart people in the industry will figure out is that writing and characterization and more important than marketing. MLP:FIM's success shouldn't be taken as an indication that people want rainbows and sparkles; it should be taken as an indication that they want substance, no matter what format it may be in.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:Are werewolves over-saturated? No, I wouldn't say so.

Unfortunately, they are associated with what will undoubtedly be the greatest shame of our generation for centuries to come. I speak, of course, of the Twilight series.

Werewolves aren't over-saturated so much as plagued. There's only one movie that features them prominently, but it's so flaming awful and so shamelessly over-promoted that it feels like over-saturation.
Exactly. All it takes is one horrible werewolf film to ruin it for everyone else.
Terastas wrote:As for the whole My Little Pony thing (and BTW, I shall confess here and now that I am, in fact, one of the bronies), I think the appeal of that is that it's A) genuine, and B) different. The characters are very well crafted and multidimensional, the humor is 50% clever and 50% homage to Looney Toons, and the resolution rarely comes from either violence or sharing/caring.

I wrote in my BTV page that I thoroughly expect the industry to respond to its success with a slew of other toy line sell-outs, but what I'm hoping the smart people in the industry will figure out is that writing and characterization and more important than marketing. MLP:FIM's success shouldn't be taken as an indication that people want rainbows and sparkles; it should be taken as an indication that they want substance, no matter what format it may be in.

But it didn't start out that way. MLP during the 1980's wasn't a huge success. It was aimed at little girls. The studio that did the MLP:FiM version didn't expect it to become so popular. Especially with grown men!! There is something I want you to watch. I think you will find it VERY VERY interesting. It's called "Ballad of the Brony." These videos takes you to the very beginning of MLP. It will explain EVERYTHING!!

Introduction --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrd2v-eM ... feature=iv

Act one --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQRFkwTGqRA

Act two --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaL5mzKz ... feature=iv

Act three --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oco5fGd ... ion_458372

Act four --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation ... Bau-x7dQ6Q

Act five --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vid=fB ... fo8Pywji_M

Ok...I'm going to tell you how I came across MLP:FiM.

Back in August of 2011, I was noticing pony art popping up all over Deviantart. I paid no attention to it. What's so odd is that I kept on seeing more and more and MORE pony art. Hmmm...what is going on? Then I saw one of our pack members drawing some pony art. I was like..."Nooooooo!!" Not you as well!!" I had no idea this was from MLP:FiM. I was thinking it was from the 1980's version. That pack member sent me a link to youtube and told me to watch it. Ok...I did. But I didn't fall in love with it like everyone else. But I was so darn curious as to why it's becoming so popular. I searched all over the internet for answers. I learned what a "brony" was. Who created the new series. And what "The Hub" is. But that was about it. I wanted to know exactly what is going on. Why it is so popular. So I decided to watch the entire series. Some episodes was very interesting. I found so many simularities to other shows. For example... Pinkie Pie hops just like PePe Le Pew. That hero costume that "Mare do well" wore is just like "Darkwing Duck's" costume. But it still didn't give me any answers. Then I came across "Ballad of the Brony." NOW I know everything!!! :D
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

BWAHAHA!!!!
yesimawesome!

(And holy moley my account is still here after how many years of being gone?)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

PariahPoet wrote:BWAHAHA!!!!
yesimawesome!

(And holy moley my account is still here after how many years of being gone?)
2 years.

During that time you was climbing a tree.

:jester:
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Hey you! I said I was sensitive about my slow climbing!
http://pariahpoet.deviantart.com/#/d4igcki