Regarding 'Freeborn'

The place to discuss things relating specifically to The Pack
Noekh
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Garou Nation Representative

Regarding 'Freeborn'

Post by Noekh »

So I think it's been possibly a couple years since I posted here. Goodness knows I've been a lurking member for long enough.

Does anyone at all know the current status of Freeborn? Is this movie EVER going to happen? First I heard of it was in '05-ish...well, it's 2010 now. So. Any news? :lol:
TakeWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The big one-one

Re: Regarding 'Freeborn'

Post by TakeWalker »

As another long-timer who recently came back, I think the answer is "probably not". There's been zero activity in the movie forums, this board seems to be dedicated to kids who think they're really werewolves and little besides. All I hear from 'official' channels is "Anthony is busy". I would at this point be surprised if Freeborn ever happened.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

TakeWalker wrote:this board seems to be dedicated to kids who think they're really werewolves
Ummm what? Are you sure you're not mistaking The Pack with a different site? Because I'm looking around at all the forums and all the threads, and I only saw one example of this, by a newcomer who got flamed into oblivion and then disappeared.
Noekh
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Garou Nation Representative

Post by Noekh »

I haven't seen any other forums yet, besides this one. I was just curious. It's a real shame if Freeborn doesn't happen. This was the one werewolf movie I was actually looking forward to. :(
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

On the whole, not a lot has happened publically in the last while. There was a flock of seagulls, a gas shortage, and that's about it.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
TakeWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The big one-one

Post by TakeWalker »

Berserker wrote:
TakeWalker wrote:this board seems to be dedicated to kids who think they're really werewolves
Ummm what? Are you sure you're not mistaking The Pack with a different site? Because I'm looking around at all the forums and all the threads, and I only saw one example of this, by a newcomer who got flamed into oblivion and then disappeared.
It happened no less than three times in a row, right after I decided to start checking this board regularly again. It was such a problem that they made a thread devoted to what to do about these people.

The fact is, I seem to be in a minority of people who care about the movie, and not about all the werewolf crap on this board. Though I'd love to be proven wrong.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Meh...

Post by Sebiale »

I'm here for the movie.
Werewolf discussion is great, but not what I came for.
Wolfman's coming out soon, hope it's good, we need a good werewolf movie in cinema...
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

I think it's time you guys all accepted this one simple fact. And it sucks to be the bad guy who says it...

FREEBORN WILL NEVER BE MADE.

It's not that I don't want it to be made. In fact, I would be happy to be proven wrong. But based on my knowledge of the script ( which, as you may recall, I did not hide my displeasure at ) and the length of time since you have heard ANY news regarding its production, I believe it is dead. Maybe someday, with luck, it will be picked up, but AB does NOT have the finances, interest, or general capacity to make it himself. Oh, he might be able to make a crummy half-assed version. But I don't think that's what you really want is it?

I think the effectiveness of this website...any ability it once had to promote certain werewolf projects, has come to an end. if it's a werewolf discussion you want, go to the werewolf cafe. This site has fallen into the "Too big for its own good" trap.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

How depressing.
If Wolfman is good maybe we should ask Toro to do it :P (I'm only partly joking)

Isn't that cafe place only open on full moons or something like that?
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

MattSullivan wrote: if it's a therian discussion you want, go to the werewolf cafe. This site has fallen into the "Too big for its own good" trap.
Fixed
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

There used to be a time when I would be away for about a week or so, come back, and WHAM! Some great news would be posted. It's been awhile since that happened. I've been away a lot, and nada. I fear that Freeborn may indeed be relegated into the realm of vaporware. It's too good an idea.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

The thing that everyone here has to realize, is that movies take TIME to get made, and I'm not just talking about production. Scripts can take years to get sold. Avatar itself, was scripted originally in the mid 90's, but got floored because the tech just wasn't there. So in truth, it literally took it 15 years to get somewhere. Freeborn's return and eventual production will largely depend on AB's abiltiy to create a name for himself so that he can build up enough clout for himself to allow him to direct it. In short, he might have to direct and or produce a number of small ventures that are quasi-successful, before he can take a strike at Freeborn, and even then, that strike will largely depend, on if he wants to persue that venture any further.

The fact is folks... you don't write a script and then BAM it gets sold and movie goes into production. While we've all heard the "success" stories of some folks who had a great idea and somehow or another got their script sold imediately, but the reality is, that hardly ever happens.

In short, don't give up on Freeborn, unless AB formally announces he won't be persuing the venture himself, but at the same time, I wouldn't keep awaiting around for it either.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Lets face the facts. AB's heart isn't in Freeborn anymore, and it isn't going anywhere. The guy can't even take 3 minutes once a week, or even once every two weeks, or three weeks, or even once a month, to keep us updated--The Pack, the very place that fueled his fire in the first place.

Nothing even so trivial as Twitter. With Twitter he could say like, "made a couple of changes to Freeborn script this week," or "sent my script to someone in the business today, waiting on feedback." That would be more than enough, it takes 10 seconds, but instead, we got nadda.

Nobody is that busy, unless they don't care. Even actors and directors involved in major big-budget pictures take time to keep their fans updated--hell, even Colin Strause, director of AVP 2, posted regularly on the avpgalaxy forum about his movie, and interacted with fans from storyboarding to post-pro. I used to post on that forum, so that's one example I have firsthand. If that sounds like I'm calling AB out, I definitely am.

Freeborn is probably so far down Anthony's list of priorities, it might as well be a non-issue at this point. It is vaporware.
FoxOfWar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Fiery Foxish TFmage Extraordinaire
Location: Finland. Most probably lurking behing that rock. *points*

Post by FoxOfWar »

Another come-back'er here. Been a while since I browsed this forum, and am sad to notice that apparently "not much" has been happening in between.

Too good for it's own good, maybe. Like Matt, I'd love to be proven wrong though. But I'm not holding my breath.
Btw, If you're wondering about FoxOfWar, think about Real-Time Strategy Games and certain aspect profilic in all of them... lurking about in the shadows, kind of like me...
silver1
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: guardian of wolves
Additional Details: When it hurts to look back,and your scared to look ahead you can look beside you and your best friend will be there.
Mood: Happy

Post by silver1 »

I have finally broken down and given up on waiting for Freeborn.
If you talk to the animals,they will talk to you and you will know each other.If you do not talk to them,you will not know them and what you do not know you fear,and what one fears one destroys.

Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for a friend.

You say werewolf like its a bad thing.

http://cmrpg.net/turn.php?cid=131877&serv=1
Gevaudan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Music Lover
Additional Details: Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Mood: Happy

Post by Gevaudan »

Wingman wrote:On the whole, not a lot has happened publically in the last while. There was a flock of seagulls, a gas shortage, and that's about it.
:lol: Nice Austin Powers reference.

So, have we reached the consensus that Freeborn is dead, or is there still the possibility that Anthony's trying to build up his reputation before tackling the script again? And if it is dead, then what do we do now?
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Chris
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Chris »

I wouldn't say it's dead, but I wouldn't necessarily say anything will happen soon, either. Sometimes movies just sit around doing nothing for years upon years, until something happens to get the ball rolling (Avatar should be a good example for how movies can sit in purgatory until several years down the line).
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

It's not dead or even badly injured. It's just in production limbo.

It could have been out years ago, but it would have been forgettable and mediocre, along with a crap-load of other werewolf movies that have already come and gone. (Anyone remember Cursed?) I think Anthony and Meagan Brownrigg would rather deliver a good werewolf movie this decade than a crappy one three years ago that's already gone and forgotten. I'll keep the faith, though at the moment, I do have to agree that Freeborn for the time being is vaporware. But, hey, Chevy finally got that Camaro out, and the Chevy Volt by this time next year may actually be in dealers' lots.

As a side note, Blood and Chocolate did pretty well, and it has better characterization than average. I know those who read the book complain that the movie was weak by comparison, but I'm still surprised it hasn't garnered a cult following.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

alphanubilus wrote:The thing that everyone here has to realize, is that movies take TIME to get made, and I'm not just talking about production. Scripts can take years to get sold. Avatar itself, was scripted originally in the mid 90's, but got floored because the tech just wasn't there. So in truth, it literally took it 15 years to get somewhere. Freeborn's return and eventual production will largely depend on AB's abiltiy to create a name for himself so that he can build up enough clout for himself to allow him to direct it. In short, he might have to direct and or produce a number of small ventures that are quasi-successful, before he can take a strike at Freeborn, and even then, that strike will largely depend, on if he wants to persue that venture any further.

The fact is folks... you don't write a script and then BAM it gets sold and movie goes into production. While we've all heard the "success" stories of some folks who had a great idea and somehow or another got their script sold imediately, but the reality is, that hardly ever happens.

In short, don't give up on Freeborn, unless AB formally announces he won't be persuing the venture himself, but at the same time, I wouldn't keep awaiting around for it either.
Thank you.

To be honest, I'm sort of relieved that it hasn't come out yet. They could have easily just gone back to a five-figure budget for a direct-to-DVD release and thrown out a half-assed movie just to shut you up. But he hasn't, even in spite of all this "it's never going to be made" crap being thrown around about him.

Ask yourself: What is more important? Getting the movie done now, or getting the money done right. Because if it's the former, there are plenty of studios out there that will gladly take Freeborn and have someone turn it into a generic P.O.S. in exchange for letting them slap their name on it (such was the fate of Cool World). And I seem to recall that option came up once in conversation with the Pack too, and the answer from Brownrigg and Pack alike was a resounding "No!"

Freeborn is not the kind of movie you can break onto the scene with. It's a hard sell and everyone here knows it.

I can also relate as to why he hasn't been dropping in either. Because I'm trying to write my way out of the gutter too, and every minute I spend on here is another minute I think to myself "*sigh* You should really be writing right now." And besides, what would he update us with anyway? "Hey guys, still have it on the shelf. Just dropping in to let you know I'm not dead."

Leave him alone. He invested just as much into this movie as the rest of the Pack has combined. It's bad enough it's still in script limbo -- he doesn't need you bemoaning your feelings that it's never come back out of it.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

I will not leave her behind!

Post by Scott Gardener »

We keep using Avatar as a benchmark, but...

At one point a several years back, James Cameron had taken actor Sam Worthington to do some practice movements around Hawaii, wearing a prosthetic tail to get the feel of what it is like having one, and filming his movements. A couple spotted them and one of them recognized Cameron, saying that he's the one who directed Titanic. The other assumed that they must not have had much of a budget for whatever it was they were filming, and that Cameron had really fallen since his glory days!

So, don't loose hope. Maybe somewhere in Ireland right now is a sleep-deprived independent filmmaker chasing around an actor with a bushier tail and a digitigrade stance.
nekocj
Legendary
Legendary

Post by nekocj »

I don't think Freeborn is dead until Anthony says its dead :D I'll never give up. Even in ten years and it's not made. However Anthony is a little busy. Meagan has breast cancer, and he's fighting that along with some other projects he is working on. I think for the time being he has shelved Freeborn, but that doesn't mean it's dead.

Neko
come visit me at http://www.cj3d.net
----------------------------------------------
"Fantasy is a natural human activity. It certainly does not destroy or even insult Reason; and it does not either blunt the appetite for, nor obscure the perception of, scientific verity."

J.R.R Tolkien
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I agree with Matt on this topic. Freeborn is dead, untill proven otherwise in my opinion (at least untill there is a new trailer).

Yes making a movie takes a lot of time, but you can't blame the fans for being disappointed when Freeborn got so hyped on the internet all those years ago.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

The movie is no longer my greatest concern, it's whether or not this site will be able to stay running since AB is apparently in hiding (at least from us).
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I feel sorry for the true fans of Freeborn who are still putting their hopes on the movie to come out. I think the fact that all the links on the main-page of The Pack are still dead (most of them just lead to the forum) shows how little time there is spent on the project these days. I don't think there is any motivation left behind Freeborn anymore, and if there is any then I can't see it.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

Freeborn may or may not be dead, but I know members of The Pack that are working on media and other form of entertainment of their own. And takyoji has allayed my concerns over the sites existence.
The Pack ceased to exist for Freeborn long ago.