Project Updates

The place to discuss things relating specifically to The Pack
Baphnedia

Project Updates

Post by Baphnedia »

This thread is for updates for projects you're working on, as well as a place to discuss them. Does it make more sense to have one thread for all project updates, or to let each project have its own thread? I'm more ears than anything else at the moment.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Re: Project Updates

Post by Terastas »

Baphnedia wrote:Does it make more sense to have one thread for all project updates, or to let each project have its own thread? I'm more ears than anything else at the moment.
If the project in question looks like it could be really taking off, or if discussion about that one project suddenly starts to dominate this thread, I think then it could warrant its own thread. Otherwise, just this one is fine.

I'll start it off by recapping where Inhuman is. I finished the pilot episode and submitted it to a Wildsound reading. They didn't take it, but I got a lot of feedback on it. Some of it I agree with, and some of it I don't. They also faulted me for formatting errors that resulted from them opening the file with a different program than the one it was written with (which I'd asked them about in advance and was told they would not), so I think that'll be the last time I ever try try Inhuman with them.

It's probably a long shot, but I'll hate myself if I don't try it, so I'm presently working to have Inhuman ready by the early entry discount deadline for the Page Awards -- the same contest Camp Lycanthrope was submitted to (don't worry, Inhuman is a TV pilot, so if Matt enters again, we won't be competing against each other). Wish me luck.
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

Terastas wrote:
Baphnedia wrote:Does it make more sense to have one thread for all project updates, or to let each project have its own thread? I'm more ears than anything else at the moment.
If the project in question looks like it could be really taking off, or if discussion about that one project suddenly starts to dominate this thread, I think then it could warrant its own thread. Otherwise, just this one is fine.

I'll start it off by recapping where Inhuman is. I finished the pilot episode and submitted it to a Wildsound reading. They didn't take it, but I got a lot of feedback on it. Some of it I agree with, and some of it I don't. They also faulted me for formatting errors that resulted from them opening the file with a different program than the one it was written with (which I'd asked them about in advance and was told they would not), so I think that'll be the last time I ever try try Inhuman with them.

It's probably a long shot, but I'll hate myself if I don't try it, so I'm presently working to have Inhuman ready by the early entry discount deadline for the Page Awards -- the same contest Camp Lycanthrope was submitted to (don't worry, Inhuman is a TV pilot, so if Matt enters again, we won't be competing against each other). Wish me luck.
When it comes to sending scripts (of any sort), it is always best to send the script as a PDF. file, as this allows the viewer to see the script as it is intended no matter what type of device/program they are using. RTF. files just don't do the job, as a person's view settings could be different than yours. That is just my advise. If your current screenwriting/writing program doesn't allow you to save in PDF, then I would suggest that sometime in the near future you'd invest in a solid screenwriting program. I use Movie Magic Screenwriter (Screenwriter 6). It saves a LOT of time.

Some of the "Free" screenwriting programs out there also cause a bit of formatting weirdness. I'm currently editing/rewriting a low budget script called "Mauled" and while most of the script has decent formatting, the Scene headings are a bit wonky, and I have to change every one of them. Not a big thing in the scope of reworking the entire script, but it is a pain.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

alphanubilus wrote:When it comes to sending scripts (of any sort), it is always best to send the script as a PDF. file, as this allows the viewer to see the script as it is intended no matter what type of device/program they are using. RTF. files just don't do the job, as a person's view settings could be different than yours. That is just my advise. If your current screenwriting/writing program doesn't allow you to save in PDF, then I would suggest that sometime in the near future you'd invest in a solid screenwriting program. I use Movie Magic Screenwriter (Screenwriter 6). It saves a LOT of time.
Point taken. Still, my issue with them was not that they faulted me for formatting glitches resulting from different software, but that I had e-mailed them in advance asking them if they would do such; they told me they would not, then did exactly that. :P
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

Terastas wrote:
alphanubilus wrote:When it comes to sending scripts (of any sort), it is always best to send the script as a PDF. file, as this allows the viewer to see the script as it is intended no matter what type of device/program they are using. RTF. files just don't do the job, as a person's view settings could be different than yours. That is just my advise. If your current screenwriting/writing program doesn't allow you to save in PDF, then I would suggest that sometime in the near future you'd invest in a solid screenwriting program. I use Movie Magic Screenwriter (Screenwriter 6). It saves a LOT of time.
Point taken. Still, my issue with them was not that they faulted me for formatting glitches resulting from different software, but that I had e-mailed them in advance asking them if they would do such; they told me they would not, then did exactly that. :P
It still depends on what sort of formatting issues they were seeing. For example, some of the "freeware" screenwriting software doesn't format scene headings right... The screenplay I'm currently editing/rewriting formatted scenes like this: EXT. HOUSE/FRONTROOM/DAWN... as opposed to the industry standard - EXT. HOUSE - FRONTROOM - DAWN. See what I mean? Again it all comes back to using PDF. files. The less you have to worry about variant errors, the less stress you'll have. I believe MS WORD 2007 - 2010 can save as a PDF. However, I would still invest in a solid screenwriting program, like Screenwriter 6 or Final Draft. They ain't cheap, but they'll save you a lot of hassle.
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Glad to hear it! For me, its a funny thing. The current piece of artwork getting funded through Kickstarter is only 114% funded. :D So, needless to say, I'm quite happy about that. The original piece of art is still at large (nobody's bought it yet), but I'm not sure what the best places to list it might be.

Here's the link... http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/par ... -card-game
Cyberwatt
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Packmate of Sabbatis
Mood: Happy

Post by Cyberwatt »

HI all,

Hope I'm making proper use of this thread, 'cause I'd like to announce a project. :D

In the grand tradition of David Wellington, http://thevindicad.blogspot.com/ is my new blog that is about to host "The Vindicad," a new serial novel that will chronicle the story of two shape-shifting races (one of which consists, of course, of werewolves) and their struggle to stave off a cosmic disaster.

Without revealing too much, I can say the scope is large and ambitious. However, as you'll see if you visit the blog, the first installment will be published on 3/15/2011, with further semi-monthly installments for the duration of the project.

Please feel free to come by for a visit and comment as the chapters are posted. What you are about to read will be a very different type of werewolf story, but I promise you it won't be boring. ;)

Cheers and enthusiastic howls,
CW
http://thevindicad.blogspot.com/ - The new apocalyptic serial novel. With werewolves!
Cyberwatt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Cyberwatt »

This Tuesday, The Vindicad gets its first chapter posted. There are already a couple of sneak peaks, so be sure to check them out before the official go-live date.
http://thevindicad.blogspot.com/ - The new apocalyptic serial novel. With werewolves!
Cyberwatt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Cyberwatt »

At last!

The saga has begun. Forces are moving that will shake humanity to its core...

Part 1 is up! Be sure to visit http://thevindicad.blogspot.com/ for "Bulkhead 19," the opening chapter of The "Vindicad." Enjoy yourselves and thanks for letting me post here to share this story with you all! :)
Cyberwatt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Cyberwatt »

From the pages of http://thevindicad.blogspot.com/ ...

Ten days to the next release of The Vindicad, dear readers! On April 1, I'll be posting...

Part 2: Severance Pay

What if you had no choice but the Red Pill? Stay tuned...
Cyberwatt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Cyberwatt »

Prepare yourselves. We get into the good stuff now! ;)

"Severance Pay," part 2 of the Vindicad, is up for your reading pleasure. Do enjoy yourselves.
Cyberwatt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Cyberwatt »

From the pages of The Vindicad: In one week - What's that buzzing?

Greetings, intrepid readers. In one week, Part 3 of The Vindicad, entitled "Shoo Fly," will be posted! Mystery and intrigue await, so stay tuned. :)
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Awesome. I've been living in my cave (so to speak) a bit much recently. As for m'self, the card game SIN is just delayed until I find a job; and until I find a job, I'm writing music again. :)
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Got Inhuman in by the late deadline because, frankly, I'd rather have done the extra work and payed more to have it reviewed than turned in something half-assed for half-price (especially since the brunt of my cost came from asking for their full feedback on the submission). The last-minute deadline just expired, so now its just a waiting game. Mercifully, America's Got Talent (my Examiner topic) is scheduled to return on May 31st, so I'm not going to be waiting with anxiety to hear the results -- I'mma be to busy to do that.

Probably means I won't even be thinking about Inhuman until around August / September again, so unless I get some good results for its placing, this'll probably be the last you hear about my work for a while. Thanks all for the support -- wishing you all the best as well. ^_^
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Just got an e-mail with the complete run-down of this year's PAGE Awards statistics.

Action/Adventure: 662
Comedy: 975
Drama: 1110
Family Film: 439
Historical Film: 341
Science Fiction: 427
Thriller/Horror: 679
Short Film: 310
TV Drama Pilot: 313
TV Sitcom Pilot: 298
So I'm feeling pretty good right now about my decision to try and write Inhuman as a TV series instead of a movie. :grinp:

Quarter-finalists won't be announced until around July 15th, and individual feedback shouldn't be expected until August.

In the meantime, I've picked up a second Examiner title: Bad TV. So if you can spare a few webits there as well, I would very much appreciate it. :D
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Kay, umm. . . My brain is sort of in "blue screen of death" mode right now.

"Inhuman" didn't make the cut. And don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting to. But seeing their "top 10%" of scripts containing a bunch of scripts with titles that absolutely scream "I aspire to make Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer look good by comparison" isn't exactly helping me feel better about it. All I can gather thus far is that I might somehow benefit from changing my title back to the joke working title.

That, the number of extra PAGE award e-mails I've received offering to sell me more crap, and the direct advice from a family-friend within the business that I avoid things like this like the plague in the future, really has me doubting whether this was worth trying in the first place. I still haven't received their feedback (which I'll comment on here once I get it), but I'm already severely doubting the credibility of PAGE and don't have any intention of entering again next year. I'll probably just take their feedback, compare it to what I got from Wildsound last November and look into promoting myself manually from there.
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

Terastas wrote:Kay, umm. . . My brain is sort of in "blue screen of death" mode right now.

"Inhuman" didn't make the cut. And don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting to. But seeing their "top 10%" of scripts containing a bunch of scripts with titles that absolutely scream "I aspire to make Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer look good by comparison" isn't exactly helping me feel better about it. All I can gather thus far is that I might somehow benefit from changing my title back to the joke working title.

That, the number of extra PAGE award e-mails I've received offering to sell me more crap, and the direct advice from a family-friend within the business that I avoid things like this like the plague in the future, really has me doubting whether this was worth trying in the first place. I still haven't received their feedback (which I'll comment on here once I get it), but I'm already severely doubting the credibility of PAGE and don't have any intention of entering again next year. I'll probably just take their feedback, compare it to what I got from Wildsound last November and look into promoting myself manually from there.
To me, any time you have to pay a lot of money to enter a contest, there is something wrong. While I have friends, like Matt, that have used Page and other screenwriting contests, most professionals will advise that if you have any relations in the business, to stay clear away from them in the first place. A lot of contests are run by studios in the background that are just using the contests to find new material. I've known a few actual winners, and while the prizes were pretty cool, they still ain't working professionally, so I'm sorry... something has to be wrong.

Matt paid to get feedback on CL, when he entered it, and while the guy had a few points, it was literally a half page e-mail. Nothing I would have expected a writing judge. All that money for stuff I had already advised Matt on...

In my opinion if you want feedback, and you want solid feedback, I'd go with a guru...such as Skip Press. Gurus are expensive, but they do give you comprehensive evaluations, and don't make you wait several months. If you can't afford a guru, then I would track around local screenwriters (if you haven't already), and get their opinions. Even though I'm busy, I'd be more than happy to help. As a profession, I am actually a trained screenplay coach...although I have yet to make any money off of it... :P I'm just too nice... I guess. :P

In short, don't waste your time on contests... :D
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

alphanubilus wrote:To me, any time you have to pay a lot of money to enter a contest, there is something wrong. While I have friends, like Matt, that have used Page and other screenwriting contests, most professionals will advise that if you have any relations in the business, to stay clear away from them in the first place. A lot of contests are run by studios in the background that are just using the contests to find new material. I've known a few actual winners, and while the prizes were pretty cool, they still ain't working professionally, so I'm sorry... something has to be wrong.

Matt paid to get feedback on CL, when he entered it, and while the guy had a few points, it was literally a half page e-mail. Nothing I would have expected a writing judge. All that money for stuff I had already advised Matt on...

In my opinion if you want feedback, and you want solid feedback, I'd go with a guru...such as Skip Press. Gurus are expensive, but they do give you comprehensive evaluations, and don't make you wait several months. If you can't afford a guru, then I would track around local screenwriters (if you haven't already), and get their opinions. Even though I'm busy, I'd be more than happy to help. As a profession, I am actually a trained screenplay coach...although I have yet to make any money off of it... :P I'm just too nice... I guess. :P

In short, don't waste your time on contests... :D
*nods* Truthfully, the feedback was the only thing I was looking for in the first place. I wasn't expecting PAGE to amount to much. I just wasn't expecting it to be such a mind-numbing letdown either.

I do indirectly know at least one other person in the business (who, conveniently enough, would fit one of the primary characters in Inhuman rather nicely). If I want any opinions after PAGE, I'll most likely either ask for hers or ask for them here.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Got my feedback today. I needed a score of 60 to get into the next round, and I got a score of 52. Which is close enough to encourage me not to give up on this at all.

The feedback wasn't all great. They singled out one scene in particular, for example, where they asked me to explain A) why the vampire hunters were ill-prepared for the attack, and B) why Paul (the protagonist) was there if he didn't know anything about vampires. The answers are already there in the script: A) The hunters got massacred because they didn't know the vampires had werewolf and human allies (who pump the hunters full of lead after they flip the UV lights on), and Paul was there so they could show him a vampire corpse firsthand after the fight was over (with the presumption that they'd easily win it).

There's actually a scene later where Paul demands to know what he was doing there and why they weren't prepared, and they tell him these straight to his face.

I also kind of got mixed signals by the reviewer suggesting that I try to greatly paraphrase the dialogue, yet also commended the script (and gave me one of my highest scores) for having the vampires and werewolves so greatly influenced by recent events (Hurricane Katrina, the housing market, etc.). I don't think I can do both.

Those were my only gripes about his criticism. I see where he's coming from in terms of everything else he said needs improvement and believe that I could do so.

Perhaps fittingly, the biggest complaint he had was about something that was not in the original script, but that the reviewer from WildSound insisted I include. I can't say I'll never enter one of these review / contests again, but that will officially be the very last time I take advice from a "professional" that sounds really stupid to me.

Long story short: I got enough positive feedback to keep me motivated, and while I don't agree with all of his criticism, I can work off of the majority of it.

This will still likely be the last time I enter the PAGE Awards, if only because of how much it ultimately cost me to enter.

So Inhuman is back on my to do list, so to speak, and it's very likely going to stay there until America's Got Talent wraps up for the year. I'm not thrilled with my Examiner topics, but they actually are producing revenue, so Inhuman is going to have to wait until September at least.
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

WOOT!

Today I finished the rough draft of "Tales of Ulrica: The Wolf Prince". The final page count for the rough drafted ended up being 380 pages with aprox 117,000 words. This book is based upon a screenplay I wrote called, "The Wolf Prince" of which tells that tale of a good-hearted but spoiled prince, who gets turned into a wolf by an evil sorcerer and is forced to learn the ways of the wolf in order to gain the strength he needs to save his kingdom and the world. My original screenplay was reviewed by one of Hollywood's top screenwriting gurus who gave it glowing praise, but said that as the story would be VERY expensive to create filmwise, that it would be very advisable to write it as a book first. He said that as it is a Y/A dark fantasy, it should sell pretty well. After talking with my agent, of whom agreed, I set out to write the book.

For those of you who've read the original script in the past, it is very different. It follows the same story line, but as I was able to fully unleash (no pun intended) my vision, I was able to do a whole lot more, and make it a much more personal, emotional experience than I could have with just a script. The book still has a LOT of work, as I have to now start editing, but I look forward to doing that within the next few weeks. I'll keep you posted as things develope.
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

Yet another Wolf Prince update... I've finished editing the book, and I tell ya, editing is TEDIOUS! I hate doing it, but if you want people to actually read it and take it seriously, you have to. The final word count stands at 120,000 words at 392 pages! WOOT!

Even though WP is high fantasy, I wrote it in "plain english" and try to write it as simply as possible, so that anybody could pick it up and read it. Never fear though, while it does have a child-like quality about it, the story gets very dark, especially near the end, but then again, almost all stories I right delve into a bit of darkness. :)

I'll give you further updates as I have them!