Gathering The Pack

The place to discuss things relating specifically to The Pack
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: The Striding Stranger

Gathering The Pack

Post by Grayheart »

Figarou wrote:Seeing that indiegogo started in 2008, it would've been nice if you went that route when this place was highly active. Now you need to re-assemble the pack. If I was you, I would send out a mass email to all pack members leading them to your post.
I really think that Figarou hit an important point here - this place used to be very active but over the years even many of the most regular und enthusiastic members quit posting and frequenting the site. I always thought this to be a very sad development, because this used to be not only a place of werewolf-fandom but also one of scholarly and civilized discussions about an eclectic range of topics.

Even now with the upcoming news about the future of this promising project there doesn't seem to be more folks around than before - so maybe we should follow Figarou's suggestion to send a kind of Gathering-Call to all Pack Members via the board's pm-system. But maybe my impression is a false one and there are indeed more old pack members around - in this case it would be very interesting to know who's lurking in the shadows and waiting for the hunt to begin in earnest. :?
In wildness is the preservation of the world
So seek the wolf in thyself!

(Metallica - Of Wolf and Man)
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gathering The Pack

Post by ABrownrigg »

Interestingly enough since the announcement of the 'rekindling' of the project. we have 32 new members.

AB
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Grayheart »

Yes, thats true - but I was more concerned with older Pack members - especially those who were around back in the days when this whole community started. Those folks that got the whole discussion rolling, who created and contributed the overall feeling of this place. Right now people seem to be very shy about posting on here - and I think it would be very positive for the overall outcome and success of this new start for Freeborn if this community would come back to life as it once was - at least that. I know it can't be forced - but it is worth a try to re-assemble the pack, like Figarou said.

(Which doesn't mean that I don't appreciate new folks - I'm myself no member of the first hour, so to speak)

Take care,
Grayheart

outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I've already caught the scent of a bunch of our older members showing up here.
:wink:

Greyheart: 2005? You've been here a good long time! Considering that the place seemed to die down in 2010, that's a good five years.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

outwarddoodles wrote:I've already caught the scent of a bunch of our older members showing up here.
:wink:
*sniffs armpit* oh my!

:jester:
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Grayheart wrote:Yes, thats true - but I was more concerned with older Pack members - especially those who were around back in the days when this whole community started. Those folks that got the whole discussion rolling, who created and contributed the overall feeling of this place.
Lets be fair here... some of older members didn't play well with others.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Berserker wrote:
Grayheart wrote:Yes, thats true - but I was more concerned with older Pack members - especially those who were around back in the days when this whole community started. Those folks that got the whole discussion rolling, who created and contributed the overall feeling of this place.
Lets be fair here... some of older members didn't play well with others.
And some doesn't plan on returning.
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

Post by takyoji »

Well, statistically we're at about 1/3rd the amount of traffic that we had about 2 years ago. 2 years ago, there'd averagely be around 300-350 visits/day, whereas currently we're at about 120 visits/day; just two weeks ago (before the Freeborn announcement), the forum was essentially quite dead and at about 30 visits/day. So we are regaining traffic flow quite quickly. Also, yes, there's been a handful of new members; although a few are due to people forgetting their account password along with disowning the email account they originally used for registration.

I hope to add some functionality in the coming days, as well as a cleaner and simpler theme (there's a lot of redundant data on some pages, which add to the clutter). And when I improve the place to my satisfaction, I'll send out an email to allllll registered users, and hopefully regain more users. However, it could also have an adverse effect of bringing back a few of the bad eggs.

Also, I'm very glad to see some folks back, as I was worried for some folks in specific that seemed to have fallen off the planet.
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Stormdancer
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by Stormdancer »

I poke my nose in on occasion since I was told about the rebirth. I may not post as much as others, but I will still help how I can.

:howl:  :oo
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

takyoji wrote:However, it could also have an adverse effect of bringing back a few of the bad eggs.
THAT is exactly why this member is not returning. This member gave me a very long speech about it. I think you can guess who does that in their posts.
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Post by Fullmoonstar »

Well I see your point and why you want to get all the others back, by sending some kind of call to them all. But personally I think this would not work too well at all. The people who used to be around have maybe already heard from the reborn of this side and Freeborn in general. And if they have not, they will find out in the near future. And as soon as they find out, they can make the decision to come back or not. I mean, take a look around. Anthony just pointed it out just perfect. There are a lot of new members around here....so even people who have never been here before have realised, that something is going on with the project here and that they could come back again to see it. But maybe the interests of some of them have changed or something else has happend. I personally checked this side from time to time during my period of absence. And maybe the others do the same. And if not, they will see it after reading Figarou's journal on DA or somewhere else. If they are still interested in this, I think that the info will spread pretty fast. I am a good example for this. I saw Fig's journal and the Video of Anthony that it will finally continue and here I am. I bet that a lot of the others will follow the path of information just like this too, since this is the place where you can get the most info about Freeborn :wink:
never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Grayheart »

outwarddoodles wrote:Greyheart: 2005? You've been here a good long time! Considering that the place seemed to die down in 2010, that's a good five years.
:o Oh my ... I wasn't aware of me being this long here already! Well, I think I've never considered myself one of the 'older members' because I joined at a time when most of the screenplay brainstorming and the like was well under way - it's maybe time for updating my view of things :D
takjoyi wrote:And when I improve the place to my satisfaction, I'll send out an email to allllll registered users, and hopefully regain more users. However, it could also have an adverse effect of bringing back a few of the bad eggs.
I'm glad to hear that this step is on the schedule. And for the fear of returning bad eggs: I always had the impression that the community as a whole is very well equipped to deal with negatively acting people. So this doesn't trouble me much right now.

I just thought that it would be a good idea to gather as many people as possible before Feb First - the more people, the more we are able to make a concentrated effort at promoting Freeborn. Yes, it looks like the word spreads fast and far - but I think it would be wasted potential not to try this possible, fast and centralised avenue. Hope the best, fear the worst, as the saying goes.

outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Grayheart wrote:
outwarddoodles wrote:Greyheart: 2005? You've been here a good long time! Considering that the place seemed to die down in 2010, that's a good five years.
:o Oh my ... I wasn't aware of me being this long here already! Well, I think I've never considered myself one of the 'older members' because I joined at a time when most of the screenplay brainstorming and the like was well under way - it's maybe time for updating my view of things :D
It seems like the name change and everything was done by the time I got here. And it was only like, 6 months since the forum began.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Oh man.

It's been awhiles since I've last posted here!

Glad to hear about recent developments with Freeborn, and to see that this place hasn't died off!

XD
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

We're definitely experiencing a comeback. Welcome, new members!
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master

Post by Grayheart »

outwarddoodles wrote:
Grayheart wrote:
It seems like the name change and everything was done by the time I got here. And it was only like, 6 months since the forum began.
Point taken :wink: I think I'm having a hard time seeing myself as 'regular' because of my natural tendency to act humble towards people being around longer than I was - something that has been encouraged in my case by practising Kendo (japanese swordfighting) and the side-effects of being constantly exposed to japanese rules of courtesy.
Scott Gardener wrote:We're definitely experiencing a comeback. Welcome, new members!
Besides this I'm very happy to see more and more familiar "faces" returning to this place and wholeheartedly agree that we're experiencing a comeback :D

Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Figarou wrote:
takyoji wrote:However, it could also have an adverse effect of bringing back a few of the bad eggs.
THAT is exactly why this member is not returning. This member gave me a very long speech about it. I think you can guess who does that in their posts.
Wait so you're not gonna stick around? But why?

Anyways I am glad to see all these old faces again. I really wouldn't have thought to see some of you again.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Wait so you're not gonna stick around? But why?

Anyways I am glad to see all these old faces again. I really wouldn't have thought to see some of you again.

Not me. Someone else. I'm not saying who. That person is not coming back.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Oh phew. You almost gave me a heart attack. Glad to see you are sticking around. I want more members to show up! :D
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!

Post by Trinity »

I saw Goldenwolf's Dev Art post and jumped at the chance to come back here. :) I miss all those awesome discussions. The word will get out again, but mind some of those older members may not return, or may not have valid email accounts here anymore.

I've passed word on my FB, and twitter accounts. But the old communities I used to roam and/or moderate are not part of my stomping ground anymore. >.< I went and had kids and had to "migrate back" to physical reality. Responsibility and all. However... I'll do what I can to spread the word.
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
Wyla
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Singing dog

Post by Wyla »

Poking my muzzle around the door... with a huge great smile on my face. It's good to be back! Gosh, 2004 seems like forever ago. :wink:
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Trinity »

Just a question: Still doing the membership card dealie? I ask because I had asked for one, gosh , years ago when they were first offered. Never got one.

^.^
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

Wyla wrote:Gosh, 2004 seems like forever ago. :wink:
Seems like 2 minutes ago to me, but being immortal I don't notice the passage of time :jester2: . takyoji stated a curious statistic a few days ago, there's 100 megs of file attachments, and (get this) 500 megs of text, I don't know about you, but even in 8-9 years since this thing kicked off that's a lot of chat, the golden oldies said their piece, there's only so much you can discuss a topic before your rubber duckie is well and truly quacked, don't worry about it :) .
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

At one point, it looked like Freeborn was not only going to get made, but going to get made very soon. The trailer was released, some potential partnerships were formed, some studios were interested, etc., etc.

Around this time, Pack activity hit its peak. Though what became evident (to me, at least) early on is that, in the flood of newcomers, probably only one out of twenty were actually interested in discussing werewolves, and the rest were just here to pander for free Pack pendants or to try to get their name squeezed into the credits.

Freeborn, we now know, wasn't about to get made very soon. The trailer didn't get any followups, the potential partnerships fell apart, and the studios requested drastic changes to the script that were met with near-universal disgust. So Freeborn went on the shelf for the time being, and the influx of moocher members left as quickly as they had come.

That's one reason I think we need to get used to the Pack not having the same kind of traffic it used to.

The other, of course, is because we've been talking about werewolves for so long that, by now, most of us feel like we're all pretty much on the same page. My own model of the werewolf has changed substantially as a result of The Pack, and I can literally count on one hand the number of aspects of my model werewolf that I know are contrary to the consensus of the Pack at large.

For all intents and purposes, I feel like I've both gotten what I came for from The Pack and likewise contributed to The Pack all that I had to offer.

That doesn't mean I'm done with The Pack; far from it. It just means I'm not making my presence known as much as I used to.

There are a few "veteran" members of The Pack that I seriously doubt would feel welcome if they returned, as well as some others who seem absolutely committed to the idea that Freeborn will never be made. The rest of us, I suspect, are just inactive, and that should Anthony have any luck with Freeborn or any other Pack member's project start to show the same kind of potential, then we'll see most of the veterans talking again (along with another influx of moochers, I'm sure).
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Trinity »

Some few of us "migrate"... in layman's terms that means real life got the better of us.

But I think in a way you are right, those that still have the heart for the movie came back. It's not only those that contributed so much either, but those who saw AB's vision and followed it like a bunch of love-sick devotees. ;) *giggles* There is something about what is being done, aside from the whole crowd sourcing thing, that is different, unique, and special. He's listening to us. That's what drew so many in to begin with, or so I believe.

But again you hit another point, that so many of the conversations have been had. It's a reason many communities start to fall apart after a while. What's done is done, so why beat on a dead horse? Some members are daring to resurrect old threads just to make a few points, not wanting to duplicate content - or not wanting to rehash what had been hashed out previously - or not wanting to loose the conversation to the internet void - or what ever reason they may have aside from these. But generally, what's needed to be voiced has been voiced and we are just waiting on AB's final call on most of it.

Some of us may want our names in the credits, sure. Some of us just want to see the movie made. Some are willing to forgo payments for work, as silly as that may be in this economy - all for the love of this movie-to-be.