WTF was that thing...???

The place for anything at all...
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

WTF was that thing...???

Post by Alpha »

I went to go see the Vampire's assistant today, and was wondering.... what the hell was that thing that they were trying to pass off as the Wolfman?!?! Is it just me or did that thing look more like a werebaboon? When I heard that there was going to be a werewolf in the movie, I was really hoping to see a badass looking one. What a disappointment! :roll: Other than that though, I thought the movie was ok.
NightSlash
Legendary
Legendary

Re: WTF was that thing...???

Post by NightSlash »

It looked like a modified version of the creature from the Crate segment of Creepshow. That said, I liked the movie. John C. Reily and Ray Stevenson saved the film big time.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

This film also had a bearded lady, a lizard boy, a monkey girl, and a vampire in his coffin playing Nintendo DS. Did you really think it would be any good? :P
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I haven't seen the movie, but I am familiar with a law of Physics, specifically quantum mechanics, that makes it impossible to have a decent looking werewolf appear in a Hollywood movie. You can either have a decent werewolf or a Hollywood movie. Having one prevents the other in a principle of mutual exclusion. If one tries to film a decent-looking werewolf in a movie for Hollywood, Higgs bosons bombard the footage as it is being filmed.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

Scott Gardener wrote: If one tries to film a decent-looking werewolf in a movie for Hollywood, Higgs bosons bombard the footage as it is being filmed.

:lol: I think you may be on to something there. I think there's also a curse (no pun intended) that's hanging over werewolf toys. They either get cancelled, or they get butchered appearance wise. Case in point: Whitewolf's awesome looking WTA figures - CANCELLED!!! :x SOTA's AWIL figure - CANCELLED!!! :x I really wish these douchebag toy companies wouldn't get us all psyched up, only to pull the plug later on. And last but not least... The Wolfman from Van Helsing. JESUS!!! What went wrong there? Jakks Pacific did a good job capturing Dracula's and Frankenstein's movie likeness. But when it came to the Wolfman, they cranked out a turd. ??
NightSlash
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightSlash »

Concept art from Cirque Du Freak by Aaron Sims of the Wolf Man.

His concept art generally is better than what's presented in the movies.
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

NightSlash wrote:Concept art from Cirque Du Freak by Aaron Sims of the Wolf Man. His concept art generally is better than what's presented in the movies.

For some reason, that concept art vaguely reminds me of an Underworld Lycan. Now had the Wolfman looked like that in the movie, that would've been friggin awesome!!! Instead, this is what they came out with.

Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

NightSlash wrote:Concept art from Cirque Du Freak by Aaron Sims of the Wolf Man.

His concept art generally is better than what's presented in the movies.
I think that looks really cool. It could very well be the closest its going to get to a perfect wolf-human hybrid. I know that some people are going to argue that it looks bear-ish, but at least this doesn't look like a overgrown gorilla with a bad hair day.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

NightSlash wrote:Concept art from Cirque Du Freak by Aaron Sims of the Wolf Man.

:| Umm. . .

sugarpoultry
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: awwoo
Mood: Happy

Post by sugarpoultry »

Alpha wrote:Image
Dang that thing is fugly.

This one, not bad. Still looks too beasty and not enough wolfy.
My werewolf novel: www.wolflegend.com
My deviantArt: www.sugarpoultry.deviantart.com
My website: www.jennettebrown.com
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Agreed, it looks more beastly than wolfy; and the real image buster is the ear location. I tried moving the ears (mentally) to a higher position on the head and suddenly it got wolfy-looking.

In a way, that's sad; since the ears were kept in the human location rather than the canid location. Still, it looks 'way better than what came out of the movie.

And a further plus is that it appears the concept kept the human brainpan, while the movie version didn't. What happened in the movie looks like Higgs Boson radiation sickness to me... :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

That concept art is badass. To me it seems like the perfect cross between human and wolf. Add a tail to the creature to denote more wolfiness and the design would be complete.
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

sugarpoultry wrote:
Alpha wrote:Image
Dang that thing is fugly.

Yeah, I know. It also looks like one of those cheesy Ebay props that no one ever bids on.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Gah! Shift your ears! Shift your ears!!!
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
sugarpoultry
Legendary
Legendary

Post by sugarpoultry »

I think if the ears in the concept art one was up and pointed like a normal wolves, and of course, a tail, it would be an awesome werewolf indeed. :)
WilkoWolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by WilkoWolf »

Ugh, it looks like the creature has no eyelids. Like the eye is coming out of the socket. Disgusting!

The Concept art looks really cool too. Perfect, in my opinion, forget the ears. We are talking about mixing a human and a four legged carnivore. It isn't suppose to match up to look like a pretty majestic wolf of two legs. (Of course you should get a lupine vibe, which I still get from the concept.) But that's up to personal preference. I just like well done monstrosities. :D
NightSlash
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightSlash »

To me the Aaron Sims concept art looks like his concept design for the Prince Caspian werewolf went out, mated with a female Underworld lycan, and that would be their pup. Full grown of course. :D

Whereas the beast in the movie was the retarded brother of this.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

NightSlash wrote:To me the Aaron Sims concept art looks like his concept design for the Prince Caspian werewolf went out, mated with a female Underworld lycan, and that would be their pup. Full grown of course. :D

Whereas the beast in the movie was the retarded brother of this.
That thing reminds me of The Howling for some reason.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
sugarpoultry
Legendary
Legendary

Post by sugarpoultry »

Agree'd. The Howling werewolves were all incredibly ugly too.

I think Van Helsing are the only ones that actually got it right, besides no tail and pointy rabbit ears.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

I think the Van Helsing one was the polar opposite in the wrong way. I thought it looked too much like a guy with a wolfhead. Plus I kinda hate full-CG werewolves.
NightSlash
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightSlash »

In regards to Van Helsing, my favorite wolf from that movie wasn't even technically in the film; it was from the teaser poster released a year before the movie.

I love this one. It just looks so menacing and feral without looking like a wolf-head stuck on a furry body. I'd have loved to have seen that specific werewolf in the film.