The place for anything at all...
Leonca~
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Cat who walks by Herself
Mood: Stressed

Re: What to do with those who claim to be Werewolves

Post by Leonca~ »

I wish I had a better answer to the topic’s question myself. I’ve written an extensive documentary-style guide to the version of werewolves I developed for one of my stories and posted it on DeviantArt. I keep getting comments like “Hey, I’m a werewolf, and I can’t believe how much of this you got right!” :roll: Common sense says to ignore them, but that naughty part of me wants to argue and start fights over it that will only end up stressing me out. :lol:
Sombra avatar by Leopreston at deviantart.com
LupusDream
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Winter
Additional Details: i am a lover, hater and a out cast

Post by LupusDream »

i think we should just leave them be and let them them live in there own fantasy because one day they will wake up and realize that the lie that they have been telling will catch up to them. Or we can just hunt them down and wait till they shift or something. i really do not know on what to say -_-
there was a time when wolf and man walked along side each other, but one day wolf and man would walked as one

http://LupusDream.deviantart.com/ <- my art :D
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

Personally im in agreement with most everyone here.

Physical shifting.. while the very 'premise' is enticing goes against the general rules of physics. On THAT level i would say pshifting is impossible. Although on a quantum level, technically anything is 'possible' so I would refine that to say I find P-shifting Highly highly improbable. Anyone who could do that would be signing their own death warrants if they let that information out, so I seriously doubt anyone claiming it would be a real deal.

I just think the pshifters have to fall under a new registration option.. IF you are a pshifter, then no problem, welcome to the pack and we love you.. just make sure when you complete your registration that you include your time coded video taped proof of your shift "for verification purposes".. kind of a pshifting captcha. :)

if it all works out.. welcome aboard.. you're now a superstar and everyone will bang down your door begging you to bite them, say goodbye to privacy, and hello to non stop offers for norelco razor commercials and hartz 2 in one flea collar ads.

If you dont have proof of your physical shift, and not (this guy down my street will vouch for me).. then dont bother registering.. or if you DO register, that's still fine just keep your p-shifting identity in the closet where it belongs so you dont freak out the normals. :shift:

AB
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

I've probaply answered this topic before but I think they should be treated the way they are treated today. You know what I mean :D
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Nigamo Nakai
Additional Details: I am a wolf therian. Some refer to me as a werewolf, i dont really care either way. Just dont call me a Furry.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Nigamo Nakai »

If they are being disruptive then they should be called out about it. But personally, there are many people who claim to be werewolves and are quite content keeping it to themselves so long as they arent provoked. It may come up in conversation once in a while and they may feel the need to explain themselves but i dont really see how they are of any threat. So long as they arent causing any problems, let them claim away.
~Freedom Is Not A Privilage, Its Our Right~
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. That, and getting us all killed by a global Dowth blood campaign violates the user agreement.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
bloodtail
Custom Title: werewolf

Post by bloodtail »

It's about how you feel, I didn't know other people where calling themselves werewolf.
I felt like a wolf or a dog my hole life but thought I was the only one.
To know this is a big relief but makes me still alone because there isn't another wolf like in my environment.
It's like you're human but strongly connected with nature and the wolf is you're power animal. That makes you half modern human and half animal alike. :D
bloodtail
Custom Title: werewolf

Post by bloodtail »

people who cleam to be werewolf are ...

1: closer to nature
2: people who like the style
3: want to be in a pack for a family feeling

I can't see the problem in that.
Of corse they want to be something they will never be, but it's probably something they need.

:D
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

bloodtail wrote:people who cleam to be werewolf are ...

1: closer to nature
2: people who like the style
3: want to be in a pack for a family feeling

I can't see the problem in that.
Of corse they want to be something they will never be, but it's probably something they need.

:D
I'm sorry, but those are some really broad assumptions.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
silver1
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: guardian of wolves
Additional Details: When it hurts to look back,and your scared to look ahead you can look beside you and your best friend will be there.
Mood: Happy

Post by silver1 »

I personally think they should be ignored,let them think what they want to think. :D
If you talk to the animals,they will talk to you and you will know each other.If you do not talk to them,you will not know them and what you do not know you fear,and what one fears one destroys.

Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for a friend.

You say werewolf like its a bad thing.

http://cmrpg.net/turn.php?cid=131877&serv=1
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

This debate of real werewolves always seem to come down to the matter of shape shifting, I've seen it play out before, and a couple of years ago I set about settling the score once and for all.

I'm not a werewolf (though family members sometimes question this, but we won't go into that :P ), but I firmly believe shape shifting is real, *I* am a shape shifter, and a few years ago I took some photos to prove it! These were never posted till now, and reflects my strongly held beliefs about the existence of shape shifters, and by extension werewolves. Bare in mind I had to take the photos myself, so you can only see my hand doing the shifting, I'd have used a mirror, but for obvious personal security reasons I think the way I took these should be more than sufficient.

In preparation for this I bought a couple of high energy drinks before entering into the shifting phase, most people would probably be more comfortable with beer, it's just a matter of personal preference how you prepare.

Without further ado, the photos. Enjoy.
Attachments
SS1.JPG
SS2.JPG
SS3.JPG
SS4.JPG
SS5.JPG
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
silver1
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: guardian of wolves
Additional Details: When it hurts to look back,and your scared to look ahead you can look beside you and your best friend will be there.
Mood: Happy

Post by silver1 »

The pics are cool but kind of hard to believe,now don't get me wrong...i do believe that shapeshifting is possible i'm just not sure about the whole physical shapeshifting thing. I'm not saying that the above pics aren't real,just that they are a bit hard to believe. Awesome pics by the way i would like to see a better version of them.
If you talk to the animals,they will talk to you and you will know each other.If you do not talk to them,you will not know them and what you do not know you fear,and what one fears one destroys.

Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for a friend.

You say werewolf like its a bad thing.

http://cmrpg.net/turn.php?cid=131877&serv=1
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

silver1 wrote:The pics are cool but kind of hard to believe,now don't get me wrong...i do believe that shapeshifting is possible i'm just not sure about the whole physical shapeshifting thing. I'm not saying that the above pics aren't real,just that they are a bit hard to believe. Awesome pics by the way i would like to see a better version of them.
Ahh thank you, thank you, I know they're awesome photos and yet hard to believe, but they're 100% genuine. As for better versions of them, I'm still trying to figure out how to make my camera record video, I'd have made a video with running commentary of how I feel during my shapeshifting, and it may yet happen.

Joking aside, I watched the recent Freeborn panel thing on youtube, which I think mentions this thread, or at least some discussion about the question of "do werewolves exist?", for anybody who didn't get the joke of my previous post, I was royally sending the whole idea up, thye pictures were a joke I was going to post somewhere else a while ago, but never managed to figure out how to present to the website.

Since the topic has swung that way, I'll throw my honest coinage in. I believe the human animal is, in its own right, an extremely hardened and robust entity from a physical stand point, bones will resist changing their shape, it's what they do, that's their function, same with teeth and fingernails (or claws for that matter), these are the tools of an animal's trade and it didn't get this way by chance, it earned it, it's been tested to destruction this way in humans AND I might add wolves (along with any species) for tens of thousands of years and more, and before that its evolutionary ancestors (if you believe such a thing), the testing and refinement that resulted in this robustness never ever let up. Whatever is necessary to make a physical shifting possible, it's going to have to either toss out that hard earned resistance to change somehow (risky), or work with it (difficult), you can't fight it, to do so will kill the organism almost as surely as a bullet to the brain.

*EDIT* As a little follow on from this, the resistance is genetically ingrained, this in itself is the strongest argument I can see for a genetic component in the whole shapeshifting equation.

Do I think shapeshifting can happen in the future? Yes, but someone will have to find a way to make it happen, because so far all of nature has it integrated the kind of biological "technology" as a one way ticket from juvenile state to adult state, or flat out killed it (evolution/natural selection point of view). Evidence people have pointed to in things like Pyramid paintings can be adequately explained away as a guy in a head mask or a fertile imagination. There may be other things regarding this topic still lurking the recesses of my mind, but I can't recall them now, so I'll end there.

*EDIT* I just remembered this, from a discussion about shapeshifting on another forum, people point out things things like energy expenditure, which it is estimated would be astronimical for a werewolf transforming in seconds or minutes, the point I made at the time is we don't need that, once we throw more time at it all those problems go away, boom, shapeshifting suddenly seems more possible/attainable, although not as sexy to fantasize about. Secondly other people like to make the tadpoles analogy, while in the general case that's a one way ticket, there is I think one species that can revert to juvenile state, the axolotl can do it if I recall correctly. But still, that's a far cry from making a human being do something where it sprouts features of an entirely different species and back again.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

ABrownrigg wrote:Although on a quantum level, technically anything is 'possible' so I would refine that to say I find P-shifting Highly highly improbable.
While I don't know quantum stuff at all, I'd tend to disagree with this notion that in the quantum realm, anything is possible as the basis for an argument that P-Shifting into a werewolf is just highly unlikely, there's two reasons:

1) Like anything else affecting the physical realm, if quantum level stuff has any say at all in the ability to P-Shift, you can bet your bottom dollar it's already staked its claim to keeping humans exactly the shape they are, and that will stand in the way of attempts to manipulate physical shape via quantum level stuff.

2) If indeed quantum level stuff makes anything possible, then it also makes sparkling werewolves possible, and this ladies and gentlemen, simply will not do, it constitutes concrete proof that quantum level anything is a total sham, because werewolves don't sparkle! :P

The Meeper.
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

Never say that just because it can be possible, that it's also cool. :)

I look at it this way.
theoretical science accepts these possibilities for the most part.

All matter could be made up of 'vibrating strings'
There are multiple dimensions.
There are potentially dozens of 'alternate realities' including alternate earths.
The entire universe could be one gigantic membrane, and when two membranes touch a big bang occurs, and a new universe if formed.

But werewolves, that's just silly.

But if they were, and they did sparkle.. then I'd have to seriously consider whether or not they should be put out of their misery.
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

Last edited by Sevena on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garnu_Thorn
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Custom Title: Keeper
Additional Details: Under duress that the term werewolf is brandished as fiction, while I may be one, I prefer loupine.
Mood: Relief

Post by Garnu_Thorn »

This is the funniest idea I've seen in a while. A registration implement for the sole purpose of exaggerating a message as simple as "stay out, humans only".
Forest Surround,
Garnakuto Thornuta
"The Garnu"

Quoting Self---"Darkness isn't inherently evil, evil isn't inherently dark. What shall be and those involved omniversal may be righteous in their own perception, but then what of balance? When the powers that be of the 9 and the triad come together we shall see if we can coexist forthcoming."
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

Last edited by Sevena on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garnu_Thorn
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Custom Title: Keeper
Additional Details: Under duress that the term werewolf is brandished as fiction, while I may be one, I prefer loupine.
Mood: Relief

Post by Garnu_Thorn »

Sevena wrote:Yeah, I just hope everyone doesn't take it so literally.
You did lack one thing about the special case trap, though. In order to make it look as legit as possible, with a little bit of cgi have the board automate the emailed reply of disapproval to around three or four days after the registration on the "special" board. That way whoever applies for the fake board thinks someone actually thought over the written answers, like with our actual moderation step before posts are unmoderated to be posted.
Forest Surround,
Garnakuto Thornuta
"The Garnu"

Quoting Self---"Darkness isn't inherently evil, evil isn't inherently dark. What shall be and those involved omniversal may be righteous in their own perception, but then what of balance? When the powers that be of the 9 and the triad come together we shall see if we can coexist forthcoming."
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

I wouldn't even think of an application process personally. Just a listen.. you come into this particular place, you forgo the 'you're a werewolf? oh yeah prove it!" conversations. A place where the rules are somewhat reversed, for those that can make those claims to be able to talk in peace and not have to worry about being ridiculed every time they talk about their own transformations or other 'real' werewolf related items.

Belief is a powerful thing. And the members here are all diverse from fans, to therians, to those that claim the seemingly unbelievable.

Respect for the fact that while we're 'here' on this forum we're all human (at least in form), so we should give ourselves equal respect. that being said, it's not easy to give such respect when claims are made that would defy the known laws of nature, or physics. And indeed, there has been a history of those that come onto the forums making wild claims of physically shifting who were really only out to get attention, and being rather rude about it in the process. (humans are such needy beings sometimes) :)

That being said, the unbelievable physical claims can have their own voluntary section of the forum to hang out and discuss such things IF they desire a place to do so free from ridicule. A place that has a single rule, (accept anything is possible, and just roll with it).. Outside that? Then whether you're human or wolf, just keep the war talk to a minimum elsewhere on the boards and accept one single thing.

... we're all the pack :AB1:
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

FoxKnight
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: Account in stasis

Post by FoxKnight »

I don't think I've been so interested in reading the replies on this forum in at half a year. This kind of polarizing conflict is exactly the kind of thing the forum has been missing.

For the record, I hold no belief that werewolves in any sense exist beyond imagination, which can be a powerful force in itself, though I would find it fascinating if such a thing exists.

There is no reason to implement a ban of any kind based solely on the claims of being a bona fide werewolf in any sense of the word. The people who say such have just as much a right to say a great number of things on this forum because we're all civilized, aren't we? Barring their voice on this forum is no different than barring their belief in a god or higher power. All we can rightfully assume of anyone is that they are an intelligence with a means of communication. Be it human, werewolf, therian, artificial intelligence (whether or not they know it), or any kind of other dimensional being with the ability to speak on the forum (ghosts, for lack of a better term). Not like AB's narrow assumption that all of us are human behind our internet connected devices. :P
But I do agree we should "roll with it," and just think of it like improv and always say yes. It's more entertaining to do so.

We have no reason to exterminate members for claims of lycanthropy and need no such tools to do so. If these people do say so on the forum they should be able to tell by the "prove it" conversations that most of us believe physical shifting is possible, and if they do understand that they have every right to remain here if they so desire. If we are going to eradicate members of the community like She-Wolf we will also need to do away with anyone else who has similar claims, and that is just not fair.

All else I have to say is that you need not take things so seriously, Sevena. Needless stress is not healthy and will dull that shiny pink coat of yours. :P
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

FoxKnight
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: Account in stasis

Post by FoxKnight »

Well, you did a great job of giving that impression from your "trap" idea and the successive post that called for bans.

And I did not single anyone out specifically. There are more than one She-Wolf's on this forum and I did not even properly state the name. It certainly narrows it down and is easy to figure out, but the fact remains the same.
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary

Post by takyoji »

Just as an official notification, I have revised the registration agreement page to have a clear warning, which you can read at: http://thepack.network/thepackboard/ucp ... er&coppa=0
(If you're logged in, you can just open an incognito window in Chrome, or In-Private browsing in Firefox, to see it without having to log out)

We've got a moderation queue for new members to ensure no spambots ravage the forum; of which we've thankfully had none of anymore (due to a proper CAPTCHA). There's been a lot of iffy posts of people claiming to be werewolves or looking for werewolves, which have been let through anyway. Letting the public gut them only seems to lead to drama, or addressing them directly and publicly also does nothing.

And sadly, we've been having quite an influx of these types of users. People that have their little dream that they'll come on here, claim to be a werewolf, and therefore be 'above others' as part of their little dream. Education and intervention doesn't seem to do much; as it's either drama, or they just leave after not getting their anticipated praise. None of these people have turned into genuine contributive posters to my observation.

I'm tired of it, it's killing this forum, and it's causing regulars to distance themselves from the forum. The intentions of my administration procedure are now outlined on the registration agreement page; if anyone feels this is unfair, then please voice your concern. Just note, this doesn't mean I'm hostile towards anyone cracking jokes of those types of people. Lastly, this does not affect therians either; as even in the therian community, the idea of a therian that can physically transform is vehemently looked down upon as well.
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)