Don't see New Moon. I beg you...

The place for anything at all...
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Re: Don't see New Moon. I beg you...

Post by Aki »

Morkulv wrote:I know completely nothing about this film, but Spoony made a funny review video about it:

http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/2009/11 ... -new-moon/
"There are few movies as proud to be gay as this!" HAHAHA.. :lol:
Terastas wrote:Finally! Something good finally came out the Twilight series!!

AN UBER-HILARIOUS SPILL.COM REVIEW!!

[warning: features crude language, herpes vampires and Edward on the can]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBSA4cekWWg
"We knew this was gonna' be bad. . . But I had no idea!" :lol:
Bwhaha, that was awesome. Hilarious animation.

Oh, and to add on to the funny reviews:

Also:

Marvel had to make fun of this movie as well. You can guess who shows up... :lol:
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

Honestly I enjoyed the movie. It was a LOT better than the first movie. I think one reason people are so hard set against it, is it is so crazy successful... NOT that I agree it deserves THIS much success, as there are a LOT better movies that don't ever get this kind of success.

Is New Moon really that bad, as the reviews are stating... no... As I said, I enjoyed it. It is a lot better than Transformers Revenge of the Fallen, of which was junk with more CGI junk... but then agian, that isn't saying much. :p
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Aki wrote: Oh, and to add on to the funny reviews:

Also:

Marvel had to make fun of this movie as well. You can guess who shows up... :lol:
Before I click on that link I am gonna guess that Blade shows up. Now to see if I am right. :D

EDIT: I was right. XD and a few other special guests caught me by surprise. :lol:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Post by Alpha »

It seems like I'm in the minority here, but I want to see this movie, and I'm a GUY! I'm not seeing it because of the corny romance aspect, but because I like werewolves and vampires. Granted, the ones in the movie aren't (IMO) the ideal representation of the two species, but right now, what else is there? My only dilemma is trying to figure out the best time and day to go see it. I know it's not totally avoidable, but I'm gonna try to pick a time where I have to deal with the least amount of annoying tween girls. Normally going early on a weekday would take care of that, but right now they're all out of school for the Thanksgiving break, so that's not gonna be of much help, unfortunately. :roll:
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Drat. It broke all kinds of box office records. Dammit. That's it. I give up on life...period.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Meh...

Post by Sebiale »

Don't worry, that was just the initial explosion of hopefuls, fangurls, and people on suicide-watch.
Now we can watch and laugh as it crashes and burns.
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

MattSullivan wrote:Drat. It broke all kinds of box office records. Dammit. That's it. I give up on life...period.
They really need to start basing how popular a film is by how many people go to them, with ticket prices always changing they figure Titanic's six hundred million would be closer to nine hundred million now, or a film from the fifties made less because tickets were twenty times cheaper.
Don't worry, that was just the initial explosion of hopefuls, fangurls, and people on suicide-watch.
Now we can watch and laugh as it crashes and burns.
Thing is, some keep going back over and over and over and over and over..............again.

I have no hate for this series, and it does have large wolves in it.
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

MattSullivan wrote:Drat. It broke all kinds of box office records. Dammit. That's it. I give up on life...period.
It still hasn't beaten the Dark Knight though. The fan reaction has been mostly mixed based upon fan reviews, so it might continue to do well, or as I believe, now that all the fans have seen the movie, it will start to die out, just like the first movie did. In short, I doubt New Moon, beyond the fans, will have legs, even though it has four of them. :p

Again, I stand by what I said earlier, I liked the movie. The CGI was fantastic, while still not on par with the Narnia series, but then again Disney and Walden Media spent a literal fortune to bring that book to life.

The third film, Eclipse will be released in June, and all of those who are hungry for a quasi-epic final battle between werewolves and vampires, will be in for a treat, as that is exactly how the story ends.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

alphanubilus wrote:I think one reason people are so hard set against it, is it is so crazy successful.
That is part of it. If this movie had just come and gone in a storm of bad reviews the same way movies like Land of the Lost and The Vampire's Assistant did, there would be nothing to discuss because there would have been no debate. The movies sucked and it showed in their box office performances.

The Twilight Saga: New Moon and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, however, were additionally hated because they were just as bad, if not worse than the aforementioned movies, but were absolutely bloated, both in terms of the amount of money that was spent on it, the fanfare leading up to it, and the returns they received at the box office. If the movies had bombed (like they deserved to), we would have just pointed and laughed for a few minutes, then walked away from it resting assured that the filmmakers absolutely got what they deserved. Instead, they're getting rewarded for having the balls to throw this crap together and call it a script. And the worst part is that both of these movies were sequels which [expletive] quadruples the chances of them throwing yet another round of this fanfare-laden malarkey at us next year (along with the usual copycats as well, of course).

Is Twilight: NM the worst movie of all time? Technically no. As Leon said in the Spill review, it is at least funny how bad it is (Spill.com has a rating lower than "Some Ol' Bulls**t," which they have given twice). But it is going to take away Transformers: ROTF's title as being the worst blockbuster of all time.
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

To be fair, Hollywood goes with what is profitale. Twilight has been so and therefore your naturally going to get someone trying to make it. It has a large fanbase from fanatics to, well people who just want to see Edward without a shirt on. This generates a massive income potential. On top of that the film attracts an easy set of demographics. All the film had to do was meet the expectations of those fans and bang, you now have a profitable film series. In the end, if the books had been seen as bad then there would of not been a film. However and unfortunatly they are seen as good to many and no amount of hatred will change that or stop films on Twilight being done. Only the drop in profits or other complications will.
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
NightSlash
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightSlash »

I just got back from seeing it. I agree with alphanubilus. It was far better than the first one. I was never really bored, which was what really surprised me. The wolves were impressive. Taylor Lautner did a good job, but it was Michael Sheen and Dakota Fanning who stole the show in their brief eight minute scene. I'm also going to miss seeing Rachelle Lefevre in Eclipse. She has a badass vibe to her in this film and I think she'd make a pretty bitchin' werewolf herself in another film.

I just wish the audience I saw it with would shut up for five minutes.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

While Silent Hunter stating the obvious that involves in any business practice today (Make Money). Let's also not forget that movie standards to the average viewer these days have actually dropped in the past few years, movies that are consider good now would have sucked in the early millenniums and even before that. These past 2 years I have been mostly disappointed with Hollywood releases, yes I happened to really like the first Transformers and I even got it as a gift two Christmas ago, It was a good movie to watch for the action fans cause it was simply guilty pleasure, but I didn't like the sequel.

Twilight story I found sketchy right from the beginning and I thought the Edward character wasn't well made and Robert Pattinsons acting wasn't real good, he sounded like he was struggling to speak English at times, sort of reminded me of John Claude Van Damme where it sounds like he is constipated when he's speaking, as if English cause him pain. Twilight is just another blockbuster chick flick that's all there is to it, it's meant to please the female teenagers around the world and it succeeded because you have attractive guys fighting for a not so attractive girl, it's got vampires which is the latest fad with today's teenagers, and attractive werewolves which will likely bring in some werewolf fans.

alphanubilus wrote:
Again, I stand by what I said earlier, I liked the movie. The CGI was fantastic, while still not on par with the Narnia series, but then again Disney and Walden Media spent a literal fortune to bring that book to life.
Fantastic? No. Dont get me wrong it still looked great but, I felt that they could have put just a little more attention on the werewolves because New Moon was definitely not a heavily used CGI film.

If you compare to a movie with werewolves over 4 years ago that was all about CGI left and right in every screen that was painstaking to details look no further than Van Helsing.
http://thefaust.files.wordpress.com/200 ... lsing1.jpg

Now compare that to this.
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/ ... 47-356.jpg

It's a fair step back in today's films if you think about it. Now you can argue that the Van Helsing Budget was a lot more than New Moon, but 5 years later with technology and graphics rapidly getting better, they should have been able to be on par with Van Helsing.

EDIT: I just wanted to add this. Anyone remember District 9? Remember how it added all these great CGI effects that the aliens actually felt like it was really there? Well I remember that movie not being such a big budget in fact it was below $40 million. Now New Moon budget was around $50 million, (significantly more than Twilight) yet District 9 still beats New Moon in terms of CGI effects, perhaps they spent the extra money to pay the actors more.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

WilkoWolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by WilkoWolf »

Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

I actually read all four in highschool (senior year) and i enjoyed reading them then because i was looking for something simple, something romantic. But now that I'm over that stage the books are just average to me now. and the movie is only more F'd up
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

Actually the werewolf imprint isn't pedophilia, as the imprinter, as has already been stated, is bascially sexually neutered until the child grows up. In short the werewolves are over protective guardian dogs and that is about it. The imprintee is also affected by the imprint, as they desire the said wolf. At a small age, it is more of a possession, as is seen with Renesmee, as they mature, that will change.

The purpose of the imprint is to create a more powerful wolf.

Of course, the reality is, the imprint is by far one of the most difficult plot devices, she could have created, as it literally means that the werewolf doesn't have a will of his or her own, and once the imprint happens, they become subservient creatures to the wishes of their imprintee. That sucks. No will...

This, to me, reminds me culturely of marraiges in places like Pakistan and India where the marriages are arranged. The fact is, you can have an 18-year-old guy who's wife-to-be, could be a small child. He won't be allowed to, obviously, have sex with the said child, until she is of age, to marry (in some provinces 13, of which is still too young in my book, but then again, it ain't the USA). I wouldn't want to have my will taken away, even if it made me..."happy" per say.

In reality, the imprint was only a way out of Jacob being miserable the rest of his life, pining away for the girl he didn't get. In reality, I would have rather he pinned away, and during his deput in his own book, find a soul mate, but that is just me.

Steph tended to play it a bit too safe with her characters. That is the most dangerous thing, to fall in love with your characters so much, that you aren't willing to make sacrifices.

As a writer the strength of the story dictates the lives of the characters, not the other way around.

In my most recent script, a central character to the plot dies during the story. I dearly loved this particular character, and I LITERALLY dreaded getting to the moment where the said character bit the dust, as it was heartbreaking, but it served the greater purpose of arming the main character with the fuel he needed to become the hero he would need to be.

The HOD saga has its fair share of tragedy, but again, that is what makes a solid 3D story. As much as we would love it to, great happiness often doesn't come without great sacrifice.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

hee, that was a joke. I thought the juxtaposition of my analysis with the fangirl statement would be amusing. :D

And I agree that Jacob's suffering was one of the best parts of the books. I was very sad that he found such an easy way out. I think a little more thought could have gone into that resolution.
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lukas »

(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Meh...

Post by Sebiale »

Kelpten wrote: First, you cannot say that Twilight is completely worthless because it was popular.
Um...that's not exactly true...
Aki wrote: a horror story about a 107 year old vampire isolating and controlling a young girl.
Now, that would have been a good story, a true vampire horror, been awhile since I read one. We could have had four books of Bella trying to escape from Edward instead...maybe only two or three would eb better for that idea.
Aki wrote:Frankly, aside from the forced kiss in the third book, Jacob seems much more well adjusted than Ed.
I second this motion.

The movie is just so bad >.>
Two main points:
1. In order to save Bella from the hungry vampire, Edward decides it is a good idea to launch her across the room, and end up with her bleeding evne more, just freaking brilliant >.>
2. "You know, I saw these bike in the junkyard, it will cost thousands of dollar and hundred of hours to repair them, but I want you to do it anyways."
"Uuuuuh...."
"Pleeeeease" *twirl hair, giggle, bat eyelashes*
"Okay"
---------
"Jacob, you know that bike you fixed for me?"
"Yes..."
"I kinda destroyed it, but that's fine, you forgive me right? No change in our relationship?
"..."
"Also, I'm really in love with Edward, there is just no chance between us, I am completely co-dependent on this sweet bastard who stalks me and watches me while I sleep. But you're okay with this. I just led you on, thinking you had a chance for the past several months, with you doing all that work to help me, no problem right?"
---------------
WHAT THE f***!!!!
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I already posted it. :D
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lukas »

Morkulv wrote:
I already posted it. :D
my bad, college burned my brain out
aklsfjdklsfjladsfj XD
Sheba
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Shy
Mood: Happy

Post by Sheba »

I was browsing around deviant art when I came across these pictures.
I really like the Hellsing anime so I thought these pics were funny.

http://himeco.deviantart.com/art/Alucar ... -132001741

http://thetimescar.deviantart.com/art/A ... -126318762
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Sheba wrote:I was browsing around deviant art when I came across these pictures.
I really like the Hellsing anime so I thought these pics were funny.

http://himeco.deviantart.com/art/Alucar ... -132001741

http://thetimescar.deviantart.com/art/A ... -126318762
Heh. For a moment you had me worried. Thought you were linking to this one instead.

This is probably what's going to spell doom for my own writing more than anything -- my constant battles with the temptation to include an Edward / Jacob wannabe as a one-shot villain.

Seriously, I can just picture four shirtless tools with six-pack abs challenging Paul McCaig or Todd Lie (both of whom I've given very disarming appearances) to a brawl, then as they start to shift, one of the latter pulls out a knife and goes all V for Vendetta on them while they're stuck in mid-shift. Then the last one staggers up against the wall and chokes out "Why didn't you shift?" to which the protagonist shrugs and says "Didn't have to to," right before he makes a Pez dispenser out of him. Am I the only one that thinks a scene like that would be made of awesome? :D