It is, apparently, a crime to commit blasphemy...

The place for anything at all...
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

It is, apparently, a crime to commit blasphemy...

Post by Set »

...in Ireland.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/ja ... sphemy-law

?? What the goddamn flying f*** hell? Going a bit too far there, don't you think?
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Re: It is, apparently, a crime to commit blasphemy...

Post by Kelpten »

It defines blasphemy as "publishing or uttering matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters sacred by any religion, thereby intentionally causing outrage among a substantial number of adherents of that religion, with some defences permitted".
I don't think they're going too far. If we have anti-slandering laws against people, why not against relgion as well? A law that forbid any dissent from religion would indeed be a violation of free speech. However, I think it perfectly legal to stop "grossly abusive or insulting" comments about anything. If you cannot respectfully discuss something, there is no point to discussing it. Otherwise you are only increasing emnity and coming no closer to a resolution. I'm not saying that the Ireland govornment should prosecute people for making atheist comments. In fact, they should extend the law to cover religious people's comments toward atheism. I am saying they should fine people who are " intentionally causing outrage" and decent. It's no more than a "disturbing the peace" law.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Kelpten wrote:
It defines blasphemy as "publishing or uttering matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters sacred by any religion, thereby intentionally causing outrage among a substantial number of adherents of that religion, with some defences permitted".
I don't think they're going too far. If we have anti-slandering laws against people, why not against relgion as well? A law that forbid any dissent from religion would indeed be a violation of free speech. However, I think it perfectly legal to stop "grossly abusive or insulting" comments about anything. If you cannot respectfully discuss something, there is no point to discussing it. Otherwise you are only increasing emnity and coming no closer to a resolution. I'm not saying that the Ireland govornment should prosecute people for making atheist comments. In fact, they should extend the law to cover religious people's comments toward atheism. I am saying they should fine people who are " intentionally causing outrage" and decent. It's no more than a "disturbing the peace" law.
Totally disagree. I'm not Irish, but religion is an idea, not a person, and any statement regarding religion should be 100% protected by freedom of speech. Especially if that statement cannot be proven to be false, one of the crucial components of an accusation of slander. Furthermore, these laws create precedent for a slippery slope, whereby any particular interest group can clamor to defeat their opponents through prosecution; freedom of speech as a whole is in danger. Yet furthermore, I find it amusing in the particular contradictions that these laws imply... what about Satanism, a religion whose primary tenets include the defamation of Christianity? What do they do about that one, hmm?
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

I wonder if this would affect Atheists?
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Chris
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Chris »

Kelpten wrote:
I don't think they're going too far.
I would have to wonder how they would handle dealing with a religion whose core principals are inherently blasphemous to another religion. I'd imagine True Christians(tm) would consider praying to Allah as blasphemous, while Muslims would view praying to Jesus/God as blasphemous. What then? What about occultists, or Devil-worshipers? Satanists or pagans? These things whose very existence are blasphemous to some other religions.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

Sucks to be Irish...

And people say the USA stinks...

The reality it is, I've always believed that all peoples and faiths should be respected. It is one thing to argue pro or con a belief, as opposed to simply bashing it and using abusive words and such. To me, if a person can't argue something intellectually, then it doesn't show much for their character, and it won't get them browny points.

HOWEVER...

Having the ability to say what you want to say, is a part of being human. Jesus Christ didn't condemn those who cursed Him or abused Him, more often than not, their own actions did that for Him. He was more than willing to allow somebody to have their free will.

Creating such laws are not only foolish, but in reality show that it is less about people trying to preserve respect for faiths, as it is people trying to control the lives of others. To be honest, this is nothing more than communism at play. You begin restricting what people can or can not say, no matter how unflattery, you begin to unravel freedom itself.

This is why in the United States, mental cases like the KKK can still place anti Jew/Black propaganda on the web and still have open meetings. Yeah their all a bunch of fools who can't see deeper than their own skin color, but it is their right to say what they want. I'm glad we don't silence them, as everytime they open their mouths, it just reveals how truly ignorant they really are.

That is the beauty of true freedom, and if we start placing restrictions, even on unsavory stuff, then we lose that freedom.

Sorry Ireland... You're just itching to be a hotbed of horrors... sucks to be you.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

alphanubilus wrote:This is why in the United States, mental cases like the KKK can still place anti Jew/Black propaganda on the web and still have open meetings. Yeah their all a bunch of fools who can't see deeper than their own skin color, but it is their right to say what they want. I'm glad we don't silence them, as everytime they open their mouths, it just reveals how truly ignorant they really are.
The problem with that logic being that the KKK and other such "mental cases" don't really have actual agendas anymore. More often than not, they're just professional instigators -- they not only want to preach racism and antisemitism, they want to do it in the middle of Harlem.

That's the sort of lawsuit lottery scheme Fred Phelps and his inbred legion have been running for decades -- they seek out the most sensitive and/or volatile groups of people they can find (mourners at a funeral) and deliberately try to provoke them. What the modern-day KKK is doing is no different.

It is another case of yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater, but if Ireland wants this law to be effective at all, they need to do two things:
1) Extend the law to include all belief systems, including Atheism.
2) Allow it to apply to antisemitic doctrine.

I did go to their website and see all 25 quotes they posted, and the one that struck me was the last one, where the guy that presented the law was joking about statements being blasphemy (which, by his own law, would have been blasphemous). That suffices better than anything to illustrate just how ridiculous the notion that they can outlaw blasphemy in such a way (were that enacted in the U.S., the Republicans would be accusing Obama of blasphemy because they worship the Holy and Everlasting Private Sector). It would have been much more effective and a lot less controversial to just amend the law to refer to disturbing the peace or attempted incitement.
AngryGothChick
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Hello person.
Mood: Depressed

Post by AngryGothChick »

This isnt new to me because someone months ago told me this on Youtube
Out by sixteen or dead on the scene, but together forever
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Imagine if we couldnt say things about Scientology. The world would just end. :D
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

This might come as a surprise to some people, but there are blasphemy-laws in nearly every country...

Religion rules the world.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Gevaudan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Music Lover
Additional Details: Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Mood: Happy

Post by Gevaudan »

Morkulv wrote:This might come as a surprise to some people, but there are blasphemy-laws in nearly every country...

Religion rules the world.
Well, religious people have control, not necessarily religion itself. People can be convinced to put religion and other personal matters aside in the name of allowing others to exercise their freedom. It's happened before. I'm not saying that it's likely, but it's possible.
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!