Werewolf marathon!

The place for anything at all...
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Werewolf marathon!

Post by PariahPoet »

Yep, if you have the Chiller channel they're having a werewolf movie marathon this week starting tomorrow at 8 pm! Prepare for the dorky goodness!
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Re: Werewolf marathon!

Post by RedEye »

Rats squared. My provider (Charter) doesn't list it. Oh well, most of the movies would just make me angry over the way the story treats Werewolves and the lack of imagination in characterization of the Wulf.
Hmmm... Break even for me, I think.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

True. I'll never understand why there are only two types of werewolf movies- The gore-splattered, "could not be more hokey", terrible acting kind, and the boring as heck, characters sitting around talking for 99% of the movie, terrible acting kind.

Honestly..... 9_9

I think the only ones I've ever enjoyed were AWWIL, Teen Wolf, and Wolf Mountain(ok, not your typical werewolf, but awesome as heck for a pre-teen in the 90's! ;D )

Hated all the rest of them.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

I do not have Chiller.
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Its not like your missing much because honestly, 99% of all werewolf-movies suck hairy wolf-butt.

The only movie involving werewolves I liked is Dog Soldiers, but you could argue that its not really a werewolf-movie.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

Morkulv wrote: The only movie involving werewolves I liked is Dog Soldiers, but you could argue that its not really a werewolf-movie.
Anthropomorphic bipedal wolf-like creatures who have the power to change their shape. How is that not a werewolf?
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Post by Alpha »

Heh heh I'm currently in the midst of trying to decide between getting DirectTv or Dish Network... although I'm starting to lean more towards Dish Network. Their program package includes the Chiller ch. But unfortunately for me, I won't be able to get everything set up until sometime midweek. I just hope that they're rehash the werewolf marathon sometime in the near future. :)
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Sebiale wrote:
Morkulv wrote: The only movie involving werewolves I liked is Dog Soldiers, but you could argue that its not really a werewolf-movie.
Anthropomorphic bipedal wolf-like creatures who have the power to change their shape. How is that not a werewolf?
Sure, but the movie doesn't focuss on the werewolves as much as werewolf-movies do.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

Morkulv wrote: Sure, but the movie doesn't focuss on the werewolves as much as werewolf-movies do.
I don't understand what you mean. They spent the entire movie fighting them...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

I mean that most 'real' werewolf-movies focuss on the werewolf-character(s) and the change that they go through as the movie progresses. Instead, Dog Soldiers seems to be more focussed on action and B-movie style horror.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

Morkulv wrote:I mean that most 'real' werewolf-movies focuss on the werewolf-character(s) and the change that they go through as the movie progresses. Instead, Dog Soldiers seems to be more focussed on action and B-movie style horror.
Which was a good thing for it. Dog Soldiers is better than a lot of other werewolf movies released in recent years.
Only ones that really spring to mind in recent times that can beat it are the Ginger Snaps trilogy and Wolfman.
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

Sebiale wrote:Only ones that really spring to mind in recent times that can beat it are the Ginger Snaps trilogy and Wolfman.

How could you forget about those two other Lycanthropic masterpieces - Blood and Chocolate & Skinwalkers? :lol:
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Sebiale wrote:
Morkulv wrote:I mean that most 'real' werewolf-movies focuss on the werewolf-character(s) and the change that they go through as the movie progresses. Instead, Dog Soldiers seems to be more focussed on action and B-movie style horror.
Which was a good thing for it. Dog Soldiers is better than a lot of other werewolf movies released in recent years.
Only ones that really spring to mind in recent times that can beat it are the Ginger Snaps trilogy and Wolfman.
Thats why I think that Dog Soldiers is not a werewolf-movie, because Dog Soldiers is a movie that features werewolves, and werewolf-movies are about werewolves.

Small difference.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Personally I'm not big on the "werewolf movie" dramas. The ones that are character-driven and focus on the individual and the transition to a creature is boring. The original wolf man did it right and everything since that has been cliche. There really isn't anything new you can do with that kind of story unless in the end the person realizes they enjoy being a werewolf and embrace their new life. That is the one thing I have never seen. It's always the same tired out story. Nice man has a happy life, nice man gets mauled by a "creature", nice man experiences weird things, nice man becomes killer beast and murders people he cares about, killer beast has moment of lucidity and begs for death or nice man's friends kill killer beast without being asked. It's been done to death.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Morkulv wrote:
Sebiale wrote:
Thats why I think that Dog Soldiers is not a werewolf-movie, because Dog Soldiers is a movie that features werewolves, and werewolf-movies are about werewolves.

Small difference.
Frankly I think that's a silly way to think about it. By that logic 30 Days of Night isn't a vampire movie because it's focused on the people trying to survive them, and all zombie movies are really just disaster films that happen to feature zombies.

Hell, by that logic you'd only get a real zombie film by making Stubbs: The Zombie into a movie. :P

I don't see why Dog Soldiers should be a 'film that features werewolves' simply because it has them as an external threat to the characters rather than as one of focused-on characters. A film that 'features werewolves' would have to treat them the way Blade treated zombies (tossed one in here because: hey, why not? And then promptly forgot about it).
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

When I think about Dog Soldiers, I never think of it as a werewolf-movie but as a horrormovie that features werewolves.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

While Dog Soldiers didn't exactly feature werewolves; the scene where the protagonist confronts the smoothskinned Wulfess with a couple of Werewolves behind her is one of the few that treats them as a people rather than animals.
Granted, these are not very nice people; but the reasons she gave for their actions made sense. You don't often see that in any sort of werewolf movie- Sense, that is...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

Morkulv wrote:When I think about Dog Soldiers, I never think of it as a werewolf-movie but as a horrormovie that features werewolves.

Aren't you really just using semantics here? A movie that features (very prominently) werewolves as the antagonist 'IS' for all intents and purposes "a Werewolf-movie". It's not like the werewolves played a bit part and just made cameo appearances.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

I wouldn't call Dog Soldiers a werewolf-movie for the same reason that I wouldn't call Van Hellsing a vampire/werewolf-movie. Just because they have those particular monsters, doesn't mean that the focuss is on them.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

*shrug* Whatever floats your boat. Most of us feel differently, but it's all a matter of preference.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I don't get that channel, but I've always got my DVD collection, so I'm not completely out of the picture.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

Morkulv wrote:I wouldn't call Dog Soldiers a werewolf-movie for the same reason that I wouldn't call Van Hellsing a vampire/werewolf-movie. Just because they have those particular monsters, doesn't mean that the focuss is on them.

Calling Van Helsing a vampire/werewolf movie would be totally appropriate since that's who the stars were. By your line of reasoning, The Howling isn't really a werewolf movie because the focus was on a traumatized newswoman who goes to camp. AWIL isn't a werewolf movie either, but rather one that's about the incredibly bad luck of a back country hiker.

As for the Chiller ch, I finally got it. The first werewolf movie I saw on it was The Howling II. Are you kidding me?!?! :o The acting in this movie was so God-awful it took the term "bad movie" to a whole new level. :lol:
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Ugh, yeah nothing good can come of any of The Howling movies. They all suck so hard you can't even get any enjoyment out of mocking them. Just pity.
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Alpha »

The title alone "Howling II my sister is a werewolf" should have been my first clue as to how bad this movie was going to be. I could only take about 15 mins of it.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

XD