The current generation of werewolf fans.

The place for anything at all...
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Re: The current generation of werewolf fans.

Post by alphanubilus »

Aki wrote:I really, really don't see the issue. They're just doing what the young do - hell, like the doc said. Just finding a group to identify with and establish a self-identity. It's all dumb fun.

No need to really look into it any further than that.
So it is normal, appropriate behavior for people to cut apart people's dead pets and keep their bones as momentos?
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

alphanubilus wrote:
Aki wrote:I really, really don't see the issue. They're just doing what the young do - hell, like the doc said. Just finding a group to identify with and establish a self-identity. It's all dumb fun.

So it is normal, appropriate behavior for people to cut apart people's dead pets and keep their bones as momentos?
Ofcourse, I do it all the time. :lovebone:

:lol:
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

Morkulv wrote:
alphanubilus wrote:

Ofcourse, I do it all the time. :lovebone:

:lol:
Well we're not talking about normal behavior for you. :P
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

alphanubilus wrote:Since when does one need to put tons of chains, eyeliner, and wear emo clothes to be a werewolf? C'mon don't they know that REAL werewolves cannabalize children, wipe out livestock, and get really groovy etchings of them imprinted in old books! Paaaleeeze, I bet these wolves don't even have their local Catholic Priests in arms... Werewolves these days... oye.. :lol:

Ugh, are you serious? I'd rather look like a disheveled Alex Mercer with a gun-encased Qur'an than go through all the painful butt-tattooing and cow-wrestling and child-eating.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

I saw that clip.

Actually, I don't disapprove at all.
Like that kid's mother says, "If this is the worst he does in high school, I'm blessed!"

Take a look at the other cliques in high school — Jocks, for instance — 'nuff said.

So long as they don't get into trouble — which it appears they don't — hey, go for it. Teenagers can use all the sense of belonging they can get their hands on and Wolf is probably the best symbol for any form of social acceptance. Getting together out in the woods for the odd howl-fest, learning respect for nature — where's the bad news?

[Disclaimer: Former black-clothing/fur tail-sporting youngster, myself]
ImageImageImageImage
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

vrikasatma wrote:Getting together out in the woods for the odd howl-fest, learning respect for nature — where's the bad news?
Potential embarassment from certain groups of people within the fandom. It's not showing explicitly just yet since there's no drama, and so far, one forum I go to that pokes the laughable minority of furries werefans, therians, otherkin, etc. are pretty much just putting up a mild sardonic stance on these teens.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf

Post by vrikasatma »

kitetsu wrote:one forum I go to that pokes the laughable minority of furries werefans, therians, otherkin, etc. are pretty much just putting up a mild sardonic stance on these teens.
And inasmuch as that, they're being more childish than the kids acting like wolves.

Come on, people, I'm pushing the half-century mark and even I can remember a time when belonging to a group meant the world. Bare is the back which hath no brother, especially at that age. So what if they look odd? They're not getting into trouble, at least one of their parents approve, this is a nontroversy.
ImageImageImageImage
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

vrikasatma wrote:
kitetsu wrote:one forum I go to that pokes the laughable minority of furries werefans, therians, otherkin, etc. are pretty much just putting up a mild sardonic stance on these teens.
And inasmuch as that, they're being more childish than the kids acting like wolves.
They're hardly being childish. Mild sardonics for them is like having a casual cup of tea. To quote:
Gangs are posers looking for attention. All these guys are doing for attention is wearing tails.. weird animal contact lenses, and collars+leash...

...What a bunch of posers. Putting that much work into looking that way in public is just screaming for attention.

Micheal J. Fox is the only Teenwolf I'll acknowledge.
(this is the only post I found that's more vitriolic)
Eh, just sounds like the latest "group of individuals" to come along.

Vampires have gone mainstream, so time to find some other fictional monster race to twist into being angsty and misunderstood. And much like vampires, White Wolf has already done a lot of the groundwork for them so it's much less effort.
It's slightly less retarded than Avatar people... I just wonder how many are vegans to completely mindfuck me.
Kids in high school with nothing better to do I guess, a mash of goth/otherkin and so on
--
Come on, people, I'm pushing the half-century mark and even I can remember a time when belonging to a group meant the world. Bare is the back which hath no brother, especially at that age. So what if they look odd? They're not getting into trouble, at least one of their parents approve, this is a nontroversy.
Well, times have changed, and most of us kids are more retarded than you folks who had to go through lunatic hippies throwing babies at the wall of Zen while stoned on crack, or sadistic headmasters having a high average of accidentally spanking a poor kid in the face with the spanker. We're more complacent, more spoiled, less educated, even less durable, more prone to high-horsing, etc etc. Hell, even I was raised an upperclassman, abused, never had my problems rectified by SUperman in a time when my mental disability was at its peak, and now I'm constantly bitter from all the social backstabbing and confusion.

Not to mention that I've grown very weary of personal anecdotes about hardships from anyone older than 40. Alright, mom, I get it already, you went through so much physical abuse from grandma back then because you didn't do your hair right or you uttered so much as a whisper in reply to everything grandma said, and I already know that you were stripped naked and bound in a chair and put into public display because you were framed by one of my aunts for stealing lunch money, I GET IT. I still don't feel better about having a mental disease that's making me socially inept.... not when you keep projecting your overprotection on me because you're trying too hard to have me avoid your past failures.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

A wild Kitesu appears!

It uses attack "Utter Jackassery"

It's not very effective.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

vrikasatma wrote:Like that kid's mother says, "If this is the worst he does in high school, I'm blessed!"
Trust me on this, that's not the worst he's doing in high school. People are seldom ever open with what they consider to be the worst of their offenses, so if somebody is 100% outward with their bizarre counter-culture, that could be a sign that there's something else they're doing that they think is even worse. A kid will only freely confess to smoking cigarettes if he's also smoking pot, will only confess to drinking beer if he's also drinking and driving, and will only confess to no longer being a virgin when it looks like they're about to become a dad.

This would be just mildly amusing at best and somewhat depressing at the worst. . . If I thought that's all they were doing. But it won't surprise me if they're also drinking, smoking, having sex, cutting themselves and/or tormenting wild animals when they think we're not looking. Their fascination/identification with werewolves is what they feel comfortable revealing to everyone. Chances are good there's something else they're hoping can't be seen behind it.
PariahPoet wrote:A wild Kitesu appears!

It's not very effective.
Because jackass-type attacks are ineffective against jackass types.
:x Seriously Pariah, what the hell was that supposed to accomplish?
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

PariahPoet wrote:A wild Kitesu appears!

It's not very effective.

Jackassery =/= extreme cynicism and filial impiety.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

alphanubilus wrote: Actually that "marine" video was found to be a hoax.
Really? Where'd they say that?
Look all fun and games aside... I really like people getting interested in werewolves, but when I see people calling themselves werewolves and have no apparent education as to the lore surrounding them, I can't help it, but roll my eyes. Again, I stand by what I said earlier... These werewolf scream less werewolf and more RPG. Besides, I swear one of them is a level 40 elf...
Outside a few of the old myths (or that Theiss guy in Germany way back when claiming werewolves fought demons), werewolves pretty much owe P&P RPGs (in particular, W:TA) for being anything but "dudes what turn into wolves" or "mindless wolf-beasts" in modern mythos.

Hell, before we came up with the term 'Gestalt' (or yanked and repurposed it, more accurately), it wasn't uncommon to see the term 'Crinos' tossed about here to refer the half-man half-wolf form of a were. :wink:
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

Actually the hybrid (Gestalt if you will) form of the werewolf has its roots in early 20th century films, such as Werewolf of London and The Wolf Man. The biped werewolf became a staple in media. Joe Donte's "The Howling" created the half/half beasty, of which, while murderous, weren't mindless. Most people that I know, of whom studied werewolf lore, such as myself, never played W: TA, or any of its incarnations. It didn't interest me. There are many legends and lore that deal with noble werewolves, often protecting those they cared about, such as the 12th century French, "Guillaume de Pelerne". The only thing White Wolf has done of late, is file lawsuites against anyone who's created something that has a werewolf or vampire. So in that respect, I don't think current werewolf trends owe them anything... I've never played the games, read the books... ect ect ect...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

W:tA is kind of obscure as far as the mainstream goes. More likely they owe all of their crap to the Underworld movies (and dare I say it: in some cases, from Twilight). Still, whatever the case, they clearly didn't get their werewolf images from lore. Whatever "sources" they derived their werewolf image from clearly isn't older than any of them are.
ledrif
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The lone wolf, The shadow
Additional Details: hmmmm....
what else can i say Oh yeh I think I'm good at art =P
and I'm kind of a Jester sometimes HEHEHEH!!!

Post by ledrif »

I watched 50 seconds of it then I just closed the tab and went ot hit my head in the wall...
Seriously the next thing they will create is Emo-gothic-Werewolf-clowns? just like inserting addons on something that already exists!!!
Image Image Pay us a visit if you can!
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

ledrif wrote:I watched 50 seconds of it then I just closed the tab and went ot hit my head in the wall...
Seriously the next thing they will create is Emo-gothic-Werewolf-clowns? just like inserting addons on something that already exists!!!
They're probably already out there. The werewolves in the vid are already emo-gothic-werewolves. All one needs to do is become a fan of I.C.P. and it's all over.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

ledrif wrote:I watched 50 seconds of it then I just closed the tab and went ot hit my head in the wall...
Seems like a good antidote. :P
ledrif
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The lone wolf, The shadow
Additional Details: hmmmm....
what else can i say Oh yeh I think I'm good at art =P
and I'm kind of a Jester sometimes HEHEHEH!!!

Post by ledrif »

Morkulv wrote:
Seems like a good antidote. :P
Gotta admit it's way better then watch the whole thing D:
Terastas wrote:
ledrif wrote:I watched 50 seconds of it then I just closed the tab and went to hit my head in the wall...
They're probably already out there. The werewolves in the vid are already emo-gothic-werewolves. All one needs to do is become a fan of I.C.P. and it's all over.
Just LoL Terastas :P that totally made my day happier >.<
Image Image Pay us a visit if you can!
Windigo
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Windigo »

I laughed when i watched this. Ill never understand why kids my age have to look like clones in order to find acceptence.
"Gangs are posers", yeah i dare you to walk up to a MS-13 member and say that.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

alphanubilus wrote:Actually the hybrid (Gestalt if you will) form of the werewolf has its roots in early 20th century films, such as Werewolf of London and The Wolf Man.
The first wasn't biped at all. They even had the front half of that quadrupedal beast mounted on something like a skateboard (or some other wheeled contraption) for the chase scene in the London Underground. The second was only bipedal because of limited effects tech at the time.
The biped werewolf became a staple in media. Joe Donte's "The Howling" created the half/half beasty, of which, while murderous, weren't mindless. Most people that I know, of whom studied werewolf lore, such as myself, never played W: TA, or any of its incarnations. It didn't interest me. There are many legends and lore that deal with noble werewolves, often protecting those they cared about, such as the 12th century French, "Guillaume de Pelerne". The only thing White Wolf has done of late, is file lawsuites against anyone who's created something that has a werewolf or vampire. So in that respect, I don't think current werewolf trends owe them anything... I've never played the games, read the books... ect ect ect...
Most people, however, don't know anything of the older legends with non-murderous werewolves, I'm talking of modern-era werewolves. W:TA was one of the premier works of "modern, non-evil" werewolves.

Also; that lawsuit (ill advised as it was) was a single incident and quite some time ago. WW has wised up since then and has been plenty busy with various projects (including a merger with CCP - the guys who make EVE Online).
Terastas wrote:W:tA is kind of obscure as far as the mainstream goes. More likely they owe all of their crap to the Underworld movies (and dare I say it: in some cases, from Twilight). Still, whatever the case, they clearly didn't get their werewolf images from lore. Whatever "sources" they derived their werewolf image from clearly isn't older than any of them are.
Non-murderous werewolves in and of themselves are obscure as mainstream stuff goes. You can count of one one hand the number of modern, mainstream examples of such.
Loupin
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Don't blame the moon, she only glows.....

Post by Loupin »

Well I can see it as them wanting to belong...but they're not trying to hard to me individual....emo they are...or wait goth? But wait....they wear tails and fangs...oh and leaches? Please...I take the wolf in me very seriously, and I guarantee that none of them kno anything about it. I've known I'm a wolf since I was 8 or so.....as most of us here, didn't fit in in school and especialy thru high school, I had maybe 3 or 4 friends....only cuz I trusted them, and it took me a long time just to do that. Well what ever....like it's being said, their next year in school they'll be on to the next trend.
Never do anything as a wolf that you wouldn't do as a man....if you have a good heart...you'll be a good dog