The place for anything at all...
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Police try to kill a man for absolutely nothing

Post by Set »

http://fairreason.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=90

Add to this the fact that it is now illegal in 12 states to film a police officer without their consent and I'm seriously considering moving to Canada.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Re: Police try to kill a man for absolutely nothing

Post by Wingman »

Wow, it's like something out of a bad movie. I genuinely did not think there were real places like this anymore.
Canada is heaven compared to this it seems.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

There's about a dozen parts of that story that sound really fishy. I'd take the whole thing with a grain of salt.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Ticket inspectors here do the same thing. One of them even tried to kill someone half-dead for filming them brutalizing someone who didn't have a ticket, 3-on-1.
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Uniform Two Six wrote:There's about a dozen parts of that story that sound really fishy. I'd take the whole thing with a grain of salt.
I've met enough power-tripping police to believe it. That's the sad part.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Set wrote:
Uniform Two Six wrote:There's about a dozen parts of that story that sound really fishy. I'd take the whole thing with a grain of salt.
I've met enough power-tripping police to believe it. That's the sad part.
*nods* There's plenty of them out there. Most of them aren't so ballsy and so isolated that they would think their badge entitles them to murder, but I've met more than just a few who thought it was within their right to arrest someone "for pissin' me off" (and yes, this was right here in Massachusetts, the reputed "filthy bleedin'-heart liberal" capital of the universe).

There everywhere, but nightmares like this are more likely to happen in small isolated towns like that because A) the cops have only a tenuous understanding of the law which the town tolerates because they don't have much to choose from, B) the people they are "protecting" know even less about the law and will actually believe the pigs that tell them they "have no rights," and C) the cops know they are isolated and can get away with stuff that urban cops never could.

I don't want to turn this political, but crooked country cops naturally have it out for strangers and "siddy folk" for the same reason I mentioned that Xtians have a murderous hatred for scientists and philosophers, and which neoconservatives have for "fancy book-learnin' people." It's because a visitor and/or city liver is likely to know what their rights really are, thereby poking a tremendous hole through that crooked country cop's miserable dream of a badge entitling him to do whatever the hell he pleases.

I agree with the author of the article: I think those two had something illicit to hide in that house. Drugs would be my guess, seeing as the two reacted like a bunch of paranoid steroid freaks just by the mere sight of someone they didn't already know.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

I'm sorry, but that story still sounds fishy to me.
As a one-time member of law enforcement (and as an aside, my naval security forces reserve unit is activating me so I'll sort of be back in law enforcement for most of 2011), it's my experience that when you have somebody dead-to-rights, the only recourse they have left is to claim that you had it in for them in some way. If you are of a different ethnicity/race, then you're clearly racist, and if you're the same ethnicity, you're on a power trip or something. I've lost track of how many times I've issued somebody a parking citation and they'll come up to me (typically after writing up half a dozen other cars similarly illegally parked) and claim that I'm writing them up because I'm a racist (because it was clearly a black person's car).
:eyebrow:
Crooked cops exist. I won't argue the point, but I've honestly never encountered one (I have been accused of being one, though). Still, even if there was some sort of criminal wrongdoing on the part of the cops, the story still sounds suspect.
Did anybody pick up on how everybody was out to get him? First it was the cops, then it was the county sheriff guys, then it was the doctors in Wyoming, then it was the medical people in Utah... There's this huge conspiracy to screw this one guy. The doctors in Utah note that it was really strange that he was intubated in Wyoming (clearly as an attempt to keep him from communicating), and then they intubate the guy (so this guy manages to get into the only two hospitals in the country that aren't concerned in the least about medical malpractice lawsuits, apparently). If he was put on a ventilator (for legitimate reasons) then he was probably in respiratory distress. You don't typically get that from an a**-beating. Also, he supposedly was beaten and tased, and that he lost consciousness as a result. That happens all the time on TV, but not so much in real life (you get hit with 50Kv, you only wish you could be unconscious for the event). So either the cops tased him, and then beat the ever living sh** out of the guy while he was unconscious and probably dying from cardiac arrest from the taser, or something (in the business, we call this sort of thing "attempted homicide under color of authority"). Otherwise, they beat him senseless, and then elected to tase the guy for good measure.
:eyebrow:
Moreover, you don't generally go into full-blown cardiac arrest from a taser (the only really plausible way that he would have legitimately needed to be put on ventilation), unless you either have a serious heart condition or are into some serious drug abuse. Statistically, most of the people who do actually go into cardiac arrest after getting tased, are serious drug addicts. I would bet you that the guy does methamphetamine or cocaine or something similar, and when the cops showed up, he got combative with them, they took him down and tased him to gain compliance, and he went into cardiac arrest. His story is possible, but that one sounds far more plausible.
I'm sorry, but I call bullsh**.
Chris
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Chris »

I agree that the story sounds fishy, if for no other reason than the amount of dramatic flare put into the writing.
When Angela heard about the way they were treated she was furious! Call it a mother's protective instinct or whatever, she did not like someone abusing their position of power and intimidating her son and husband that way. She felt it was almost a civic duty to file a formal complaint against the officer.
Who writes an article like that? Sounds more like a poor attempt at fiction than reality. I'd have to wonder if it's even true, and not some scam to get money from donations. I'm someone who tends to be critical of what law enforcement does, and as much as I'd believe there are some cops that would behave as described, the way the story is presented just throws up a lot of red flags.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Well, I'm sorry too, but I can't trust cops either if I get arrested just for using martial arts as self-defence.

Especially when said cops tend to be cursing thumb-twiddlers.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

So you honestly think that hysterical rant holds water? Forget whether you trust cops in general. You really aren't suspicious about that guy's story?
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

...then it was the doctors in Wyoming, then it was the medical people in Utah...
Doesn't surprise me a damn bit. The doctors here in the west are a lot like doctors in the south: useless f*** who don't feel like actually doing their job. That's a different topic all together, but...it still doesn't surprise me, because I've met people exactly like that. Entirely too many of them, in fact.

Have you even BEEN to Wyoming? We get that kind of s*** treatment here in Oregon, never mind middle-of-f***-nowhere Wyoming.

Maybe I'm biased, living in Cowland, but I still don't find anything in the story outside the realms of possibility, and in certain cases even normalcy. Yes, it COULD be a money scam, but I still believe them.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Set wrote: Add to this the fact that it is now illegal in 12 states to film a police officer without their consent and I'm seriously considering moving to Canada.
This bothers me more than anything else.

Who watches the watchmen?

No one, apparently.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

Aki wrote:
Set wrote: Add to this the fact that it is now illegal in 12 states to film a police officer without their consent and I'm seriously considering moving to Canada.

No one, apparently.
Most likely someone within the department/system whose best interest is served by keeping their public image squeaky clean, and who will likely lose their job and be sued if anything mars that reputation.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Wingman wrote:
Aki wrote:

No one, apparently.
Most likely someone within the department/system whose best interest is served by keeping their public image squeaky clean, and who will likely lose their job and be sued if anything mars that reputation.
But if the public can't film officers (and thus only has "he said/she said") the PR guy doesn't even need to sign into work. The street officers just arrest anyone that dares try to film a show of police brutality (or other corruption) and calls it a day.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Uniform Two Six wrote:So you honestly think that hysterical rant holds water? Forget whether you trust cops in general. You really aren't suspicious about that guy's story?
Nope. I just think everyone's managing everything poorly in this episode of COPS.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Aki wrote: But if the public can't film officers (and thus only has "he said/she said") the PR guy doesn't even need to sign into work. The street officers just arrest anyone that dares try to film a show of police brutality (or other corruption) and calls it a day.
That's a dangerous strategy to take. Any such law that gets passed disallowing the videotaping of police action runs up against the First Amendment. At the very least, professional journalists would be exempt (and God help the department -- and its governing authority -- that has an officer that tries that little number on an ENG crew). Furthermore, enforcing against average citizens becomes rather sticky from a legal perspective since there's a whole butt-load of case law that extends First Amendment protections beyond just journalists -- all you have to do is camera-phone the cops screwing up and claim that your intent was to upload to CNN's iReport (or something along those lines). Technically at that point you're good, and an authority trying to nail you then has the burden of proving that your claim was false (and even that is probably questionable). Truthfully, I think that any jurisdiction that's seriously thinking that this kind of thing is going to be even remotely enforcible is off in La-La-Land.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Boo Hoo. We live in a more dangerous world. And if you even SEEM like you might be a threat to an officer well, it's YOUR fault if you get beaten. What you SHOULD do is mind your own business and stay out of a cop's way.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

MattSullivan wrote:Boo Hoo. We live in a more dangerous world. And if you even SEEM like you might be a threat to an officer well, it's YOUR fault if you get beaten. What you SHOULD do is mind your own business and stay out of a cop's way.
Which is near-impossible if you live in an environment where law enforcement officers go all Big Brother on the suburbs.