The place for anything at all...
FoxKnight
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: Account in stasis
Mood: Indifferent

The Raspberry Pi

Post by FoxKnight »

The Raspberry Pi is the amazing $25 US (Model A) and $35 US (Model B) computer designed to encourage people to learn how to program. This video shows a bit of what it's all about

It actually sold out in minutes, so there are no more available currently. More of these will be available in time, but you can place your orders at RS or Allied Electronics.
Last edited by FoxKnight on Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!
Mood: Excited

Re: The Raspberry Pi

Post by Trinity »

omg I want one!
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

I've not been keeping track of tech lately, but I've heard a lot about these the past month or so from family and friends offline, so this is it huh? Nice. Might grab one for lightweight internet duty :D , it'd certainly cut down on my electric bills!
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
FoxKnight
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: Account in stasis
Mood: Indifferent

Post by FoxKnight »

Well, the 10,000 of them that were made were sold out, reportedly in an hour or two. The two payment websites were down because of such heavy traffic

Oh! And it runs Linux
Noir-Okami
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Troper
Mood: Excited

Post by Noir-Okami »

FoxKnight wrote:Well, the 10,000 of them that were made were sold out, reportedly in an hour or two. The two payment websites were down because of such heavy traffic

Oh! And it runs Linux
Linux is a pretty good OS. It also has fewer viruses that affect it compared to either Microsoft or Apple. And it's normally got a good new free edition circulating. (Last one I heard of was Ubuntu, but that was last summer.)
I'm working on a werewolf novel, while liking to stay up late at night and going to college. I'm going to be sleep-deprived when this is all said and done. :sleepy:

Anthony Brownrigg, I hope you have the best of luck with Freeborn. RedEye, I also wish you the best of luck with Wulfen Blood. And for a bit of luck for both of you... :ducktoss3:
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Considering my run with windowsXP lately, linux would be (and in trial runs so far has been) a much welcomed breath of fresh air, not a day goes by that my windows powered laptop doesn't hang, blue screen, or otherwise screw up, often the only resolution being to pull the power cord (why laptops don't have a reset switch is beyond me!), and linux so far just sits there and works.

As for the raspberry pi boards, hardly surprising they're sold out, where else can you get a fully functional system for £15? :D
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I use to dual boot Ubuntu with my Windows XP for a while. The main reason why I don't use Linux is because I like to play a lot of games on my PC and adding a Linux OS will complicate the matter for me, adding extra steps that I don't wish to bother with. If it wasn't PC Gaming Id be using Ubuntu right now. As for the Rasberry Pi, as soon as they restock those I am snatching one. :D
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Shadow Wulf: Wait for windows 8, I hear good things about ARM support :) . Besides, the boards won't handle modern games, might cope with something quake 3 level, and games might need porting anyway, but if someone ports quake3 arena to it, you'll never see me again, I'll be on cloud 9 with a railgun, muahaha.