Moon Devil

The place for anything at all...
tcw123

Moon Devil

Post by tcw123 »

I would like to begin by saying, I do not believe in werewolves, I never have and never will. What I'm about to share with you did actually happen to me. I want to make it perfectly clear, I am in no way implying that legions of werewolves are stalking the earth.
Since I was a kid, I've had an above average interest in werewolves. Like with most people, the older I got my interest faded and I went on with my life. I watched a few movies of the years but for the most part, lost interest. In 2008 that changed. I was deployed to Afghanistan as an advisor to the Afghan Army. What that meant was, I was assigned to an Afghan army unit and spent 98% of my tour with them. Unlike coalition troops, Afghan troops spend the majority of their time in the field and ocassionally get lucky and get to spend the night in a village. In June of 2008, following a week long trip into the mountains, we came upon a very isolated village in the foothills of the Hindu Kush. We were to remain in this location for the next several days before moving on. Once we were settled in and I being the only one there concerned with personal hygene, I went about the business of locating fresh water and and a location to clean myself up. As I was washing my face, an old man approached me with a rag to dry off with. As he handed it to me, I noticed a really interesting necklace he was wearing. It was a very large claw about three inches long hanging from a silver chain. I pointed at it and asked what it was. Of course he didn't speak English and raddled off somthing in Dari and pointed up toward the mountains and went on his way. Later that evening as we were setting up our guard locations around the village, I saw the old man again. My interpreter happend to be there with me and I asked him to call the old man over. When the old man approached, I asked him to ask the old man what kind of claw that was on his necklace. What the old man said made me laugh out load. He said that it was a claw from the Moon Devil. I asked what a Moon Devil was and the old guy talked for a good 3 to 4 minutes before the he was done. He said they were evil wolves that lived in the montains. Me and the interpreter both had a good laugh over it and went about of business. That night as I was about to crawl into my sleeping bag, the old man showed up with a box and a thin crudely covered leatherbound book. I called the interpreter over and had him translate what the man was saying. He handed me the book and began telling me his tale, I sat there thumbing through this book. He said he didn't know when the book had been written but, it had been passed down over the years from Mullah to Mullah. It was all in Arabic and I couldn't make heads or tails of what was written but, the drawings that were in it left no doubt of what it was about. There were drawings of very large upright wolves killing and devouring people. There were also drawings of these wolves mating with women and pictures of the offspring. As the interpreter translated the old mans story, I could feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up for a minute. The book was the history of these creatures. He said that the Moon Devils had been human at one time. During the Roman occupation of that area, a group of Roman soldiers were captured by Afghan tribesmen and delivered to an very powerful witch doctor. This witch doctor preformed a ritual on them to turn them into wolves that could be used against the Roman army. The spell worked and these wolves were let lose on the Romans during a full moon. Aparently not satisfied with feeding only during the full moon, these wolves eventually turned on the witch doctor and killed him and escaped into the Hindu Kush were they remain to this day. The old man claimed that when he was a young man, he was guiding a hunting party into the mountains when they were attacked by one of these creatures. He claimed that him and his brother killed it as it was feeding on one of it's victims. He didn't say how he killed it but once it was dead they carried the thing's body back to the village. He said that people from as far away as Kabul came to see the wolf and that even the Afghan royal family sent one of their representatives to thank him. When he was finished, he reached into the box and pulled out an extremely large skull. I've seen wolf skulls before and I can say without a doubt it was a wolf's skull and it was at the very least twice as large as that of a regular wolf. He also pulled out a long pelt of pitch black hair which he said came from the creature.
Do I believe that old man killed a werewolf? Absolutly not! I believe he believes that he did. Do I think it's a cool story? Sure I do. I admit, the skull, pelt and book took me aback but, I feel certain there is an rational explanation to what I saw and heard. I think there is probably a species of wolf in those mountains that scarred the hell out of the local villagers over the years and they came up with this wild story to justify their fear of it. As far as the old man's claims to killing the Moon Devil, I think he probably did kill a wolf but that's as far as I'll go with it. I do wish I had taken some pictures of the book and skull but, it didn't accur to me until we were long gone.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Re: Moon Devil

Post by Volkodlak »

crazy old man and amusing story