Post by Mitternacht »

*raises hand* me
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

When is a furry not a furry? When you've escaped Azkaban

Post by Scott Gardener »

Therianthropy and the furries are closer than most therians will admit. The difference seems to be a preference for realistic mental and literal imagery. If a therian had the time, energy, and budget to make a fursuit, it would not be cute, but instead would look as close as possible to the real thing, were such to exist.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
CrewWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by CrewWolf »

I'd like to say I'm a therian since I think it be...well...neat to be able connect with an animal at that kind of spiritual level. But nothing has ever really clicked for me. I'd like to say I'm a wolf, but that doesn't really seem me. I think I'm getting closer to say rabbit but I don't think I'm quite that far down on the food chain. I see myself as some sort of furry mammal somewhere inbetween. I need to do a bit more soul searching before I can go, "I am therian hear me roar/bark/squawk/hiss/whinny/squeek/sulk."
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Re: When is a furry not a furry? When you've escaped Azkaban

Post by Vuldari »

Scott Gardener wrote:Therianthropy and the furries are closer than most therians will admit. The difference seems to be a preference for realistic mental and literal imagery. If a therian had the time, energy, and budget to make a fursuit, it would not be cute, but instead would look as close as possible to the real thing, were such to exist.
I would LOVE to see such a creation. (Calling such a thing a "Fur-Suit" would not do it justice. Plus, to it's creator, it would be more like a "second skin")

I'm not sure why I'm bothering to say anything, as I am NOT a Therian myself, but I know some Therians that would be insulted by parts of the above comment.

To suggest that the primary differance between "Furries" and "Therians" is a preference of Realistic or Cartoony animals is misleading.
Therians ,(theoretically), ARE connected to another animal, (or several in some cases), in some way, as they were from birth.
Furries are people who are exeptionally fond of the idea of animals who are more like people, (or people who are more like animals) either in mental capasity, physical posture, features, etc.

Some Furries prefer the more realistic interpretations, and I know of several Therians who proudly wear very cartoony, bright colored Fur-Suits.

Therians are so close to the Furry community because recognising that you are part Human, but part something else makes one naturally fond of the concept of a hybrid of both...which is what Furries are all about.

I thought that I might be a Therian for a time, but I eventually found that I was just a Furry. ...so...NOT ME. ...I guess. :oops:

Many Therians are also Furries, and many Furries secretly wished they were Therians...but that is as close as the connection gets. ...I think.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

Wolf therian here too.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

me no therian. me werewolf fan. :D
Rwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: 1,2... 10 pointy black claws.

Post by Rwolf »

from Vuldari's description I guess I am still wolf therian based (although my mind is all mixed up for the past half year nothing is solid again)

I had written a short article on werewolves/therians, but my old website blew up (got removed cause I never updated it) and I never backed up a copy... but that was a loonnng time ago...
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Oh feh. The difference between therian and furry has been argued about and run into the ground so many times I stopped counting. I personally don't see that much of a difference in the two. I've been in both therian and furry communities for years and the only real difference I've run across is that those therians who would bite someone's head off for calling them furry are horrible snobs. It's like rich people looking down on anyone with less money than them. They take offence at the stupidest things and are not at all helpful in most instances. That "I-am-holier-than-thou and my-way-is-the-only-way-cuz-I-said-so" attitude got on my nerves. Otherkin tend to be the same way. Hence why I've abandoned the therian and 'kin boards altogether.

Furries are a more accepting bunch, nothing like the therians I've run across. (Not counting anyone here, you all seem nice to me.) They don't take things quite so seriosly and actually know how to have fun. There are furries who just have a fursona for fun, others actually believe themselves to be that animal just like a therian would. Not all furries have anthropomorphic fursonas either. I've run across quite a few who's fursonas are full animal. Some furries actually shift, and not all therians have shifts. So in my opinion...there's not any real difference and anyone who tells you there is is full of s***. They're just labels man, like Goth or Prep. It doesn't matter.

:P
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

That is very true Reilune. The titles "Furry" and "Therian" really seem to have little meaning, since no one can agree on what they really mean.

Some who match "my" description of a Therian, swear by the title Furry...and then there are those who (by my understanding of the words) are eccentric Furries who insist that they are Therians, even though they will change what their "other" half is whenever the mood strikes them. (Which the "up-tight" snobbish Therians claim is simply Blasphemous and impossible.)

As for "Otherkin"...I hear the term often, but have not gotten involved with those communities as I have with the Furs and Therians, so I know little about them. Supposedly, they are "supernatural" in nature, like Demons, Witches (not to be confused with "Wiccans"), etc...

I seem to get along best with those who adopt the Furry title. They *usually are far more freindly and understanding than the serious patrons of the other two*, as Reilune said. :|
I am much more the open, understanding type...Furries, Otherkin and Therians all. :D

*{Present company excluded...you guys/gals are allright. 8) }
Last edited by Vuldari on Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Interesting. I never knew there was a debate on Therian and Furries.

After looking up info on Therianology, I can say I'm not a Therian. I also looked up furryism. Turns out I'm not a furry. Sure, I like wolves and werewolves. But I don't feel a wolf spirit in me. I don't have wolf dreams. I also don't have the urge to wear a fur suit.

All I can say is that I'm just an old fashion werewolf fan. :D
Lycanthrope
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lycanthrope »

Figarou wrote: All I can say is that I'm just an old fashion werewolf fan. :D
Phew... I feel kind of relieved now. It feels pretty stupid when you seem to be the only non-therian person around.
Or maybe there is one animal? I can only wait for a revelation.
As for now I'm sure about one thing: I like Werewolves and Wolves.
:)
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:Interesting. I never knew there was a debate on Therian and Furries.

After looking up info on Therianology, I can say I'm not a Therian. I also looked up furryism. Turns out I'm not a furry. Sure, I like wolves and werewolves. But I don't feel a wolf spirit in me. I don't have wolf dreams. I also don't have the urge to wear a fur suit.

That is probobly the best attitude to have. None of us need to be a "..." Anything. I don't wear a Fur-Suit or religiously try to become more closely connected with my Ferral side. I just like Werewolves. ...that's why I'm here. :wink:
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
Figarou wrote:Interesting. I never knew there was a debate on Therian and Furries.

That is probobly the best attitude to have. None of us need to be a "..." Anything. I don't wear a Fur-Suit or religiously try to become more closely connected with my Ferral side. I just like Werewolves. ...that's why I'm here. :wink:

I like werewolves to. But thats not the reason why I'm here. I'm here because its a werewolf film in the making. Home theater is #1 on my list. I love it to death!!! And whats a home theater without good DVD movies.

:D

Lycanthrope wrote:
Figarou wrote: All I can say is that I'm just an old fashion werewolf fan. :D
Phew... I feel kind of relieved now. It feels pretty stupid when you seem to be the only non-therian person around.
Or maybe there is one animal? I can only wait for a revelation.
As for now I'm sure about one thing: I like Werewolves and Wolves.
:)
You don't have to be a therain or furry to be a werewolf fan. In fact, I already pointed out I'm an old fashion werewolf fan.
http://calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewtopic.php?t=175 :wink:

I like the people here. It doesn't matter what you do or who you are. All I know is that I'm having a blast here!! Its good to meet new friends and thats all that matters!!!

Long live The Pack!! hwlwnk
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

I like your guys's oppion on the whole furry/therian debate, although I haven't run into any "snobs" lately,the whole discussion between who is better and who is not, is quite frankly dumb. As for the difference between a furry and a therian, I really don't see a real difference,... yet... so yeah.
I'm not here to force my oppinions on anyone, I'm here because I also like werewolves.

I like the people here for who they are not because of what title they go by.

Figarou what you said in your previous post is exactly what I was thinking. :D
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

I forgot to mention I'm a furry myself. I'm a three-tailed void kitsune, but only for fun.

Btw the difference between therians and otherkin is that 'kin have phenotypes that are mythical in nature like demons, elves, dragons, unicorns, centaurs, faeries, angels...ect.

(edit) Ahahaha...I didn't catch that before. Wrong word usage corrected. My brain needs repairs again...
Last edited by Set on Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

There's fake arrogance, and there's real arrogance. The fake arrogant are those who outwardly act as though they're better than everyone else to make up for self-esteem problems. The truly arrogant by comparison really know they're better, so they don't have to act like snobs. True arrogance allows one to have compassion for those less fortunate.

Here's some examples: In the realm of religious leadership, Jerry Falwell is a fake arrogant, while the Dali Lama is the real deal. In the realm of music, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilara demonstrate fake arrogance, while Sting and U2 have true arrogance.

The therians who insist they're in no way related to furries are fake arrogants. The furries who wear their cute fursuits in full public, true.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
SGrayWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by SGrayWolf »

From my perception, the definition of "therian" is about as individually unique as the uniqueness of the individual themself. I know therians that hold alot of commonalities with me but at the same time, hold alot of differences too (same applies to any/all "groups" really). Perhaps the word "therian" is mainly used for stating that some of those "common ground" similarities that seem to be the root and core of therianism tie them together with another? I don't know. I'm probably already not making any sense heh....

I know I have NO problems with furries (in general) and I do not see myself any better than anyone else either. I try and get to know a person by who they are as a person; get to know them individually and make my decision(s) from there, not by a label or identification group.

First and foremost, I am ME, MYSELF and I. I can never really be anyone/thing else, I just happen to share alot of "root/core" commonalities with most therians and it just feels right to me somehow. I also understand how false/incorrect assumptions about someone can have nasty unpleasantries so I try and remain as open minded as possible (about most everything) until I have a much better understanding of what it's all about so I can make a much more fair conclusion and basis but I'm human so I screw up too... All I can do is try and learn from my mistakes and improve myself in the future. :)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

SGrayWolf wrote:From my perception, the definition of "therian" is about as individually unique as the uniqueness of the individual themself. I know therians that hold alot of commonalities with me but at the same time, hold alot of differences too (same applies to any/all "groups" really). Perhaps the word "therian" is mainly used for stating that some of those "common ground" similarities that seem to be the root and core of therianism tie them together with another? I don't know. I'm probably already not making any sense heh....

I know I have NO problems with furries (in general) and I do not see myself any better than anyone else either. I try and get to know a person by who they are as a person; get to know them individually and make my decision(s) from there, not by a label or identification group.

First and foremost, I am ME, MYSELF and I. I can never really be anyone/thing else, I just happen to share alot of "root/core" commonalities with most therians and it just feels right to me somehow. I also understand how false/incorrect assumptions about someone can have nasty unpleasantries so I try and remain as open minded as possible (about most everything) until I have a much better understanding of what it's all about so I can make a much more fair conclusion and basis but I'm human so I screw up too... All I can do is try and learn from my mistakes and improve myself in the future. :)

Thats why I did a search and read up on Therians/furries before I made my decision. I can't assume I'm something without 1st knowing what it is.
SGrayWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by SGrayWolf »

Figarou wrote:
SGrayWolf wrote:From my perception, the definition of "therian" is about as individually unique as the uniqueness of the individual themself. I know therians that hold alot of commonalities with me but at the same time, hold alot of differences too (same applies to any/all "groups" really). Perhaps the word "therian" is mainly used for stating that some of those "common ground" similarities that seem to be the root and core of therianism tie them together with another? I don't know. I'm probably already not making any sense heh....

Thats why I did a search and read up on Therians/furries before I made my decision. I can't assume I'm something without 1st knowing what it is.
*nods* When I first came around the therian community, specifically in Goldies old eZboard forum some years ago, I pretty much stayed mostly quiet on there and just got to know people as best I could first. It was a good learning experience for me as I learned alot of things, about myself and about others. The more I learned, the more I understood and some time later, the numbers added up for me and I realized that therianism agreed with how I perceived alot of things about myself. :D
Redstorm
Legendary
Legendary

Re: When is a furry not a furry? When you've escaped Azkaban

Post by Redstorm »

Scott Gardener wrote:Therianthropy and the furries are closer than most therians will admit. The difference seems to be a preference for realistic mental and literal imagery. If a therian had the time, energy, and budget to make a fursuit, it would not be cute, but instead would look as close as possible to the real thing, were such to exist.
(Sorry to go on about the costuming side, it's just where most of my experience lies). hwlwnk

Yea, I hate making toony costumes, the only time I make stuff like that is when that kind of commission comes along.
I much prefer realistic things.
I only get the chance to make something realistic every so often, as these projects take a lot of time and effort, and someone waving money at me. I like to think I can express what an animal is like when I have the means to. The most recent one i've done which is realistic is this guy here:

http://www.primalvisions.com/Pages/psubpages/Aslan.htm#

Aslan from Lion Witch and Wardrobe. Those books have always meant a lot to me, and I wanted to do the lion justice. I'm still a bit peeved that the Christians are calling them Christian books now. But it was close to my heart in more ways than one.
(Excuse the model/actor's-face in the mask, it was for a London theatre and I couldn't persuade them out of it).

I would never call anything I make a fursuit.
Though now i'm starting to get furry commissioners, i'm wondering if I should change that philosophy for the toony stuff.

As for furries and weres .... i've met both. Both sides seemed cool, there was also snubbery and aloofness both sides. Each "side" also seems to welcome artists more readily than others.
Some are the same thing under different names, many are a vast miriad of different things all bunched under two loose labels.
It hurts my head, and I try not to think about it most of the time, and judge people by individual merit.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I ADORE wolves and of course werewolves. I am a therian but am not a wolf therian.

But am still very confused and still need to do alot of work and thinking. :D
Last edited by outwarddoodles on Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I am not sure if I am therian or not. I do feel a very strong connection with the wolf. But, it may just be some kindof obbsesion or I could just be 'furry'. Dont really know. I suppose I may never know for sure. :( I do like to think of myself as a wolf inside though :D
Jasanni
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Jasanni »

Therian here as well, and wolf at that. It's who I am, and who I've been as long as I can remember. I never knew it had a name until a few years ago, and on top of that I never knew there was anyone else out there who believed what I did. It was comforting to know I wasn't as crazy as I'd been starting to think. o.O

And SG, it's good to see you again my friend. I've missed seeing you about on other boards and such.

EDIT: WHO I am not HOW I am. Guh, typos need to DIEEEEE.

Sorry, too much caffiene. *cough*
avatar by Autumn Sunrise, sig pic by Chenneoue
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

Since we are on the subject of therians. Do any of you other therians experience "mental shifts" when you experience extreme emotion like anger, fear or happiness. I am just curious if this is just me or if it is some of you other guys out there. I am not doing this for attention or anything so mundane i was just wondering if it is something that others of you out there experience. :?
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Not often. They seem to be rare to me. But often briefly in the woods or all alone at home its like for a second your something else. Yet is hard, for I'm surrounded by all human stuff, and usally is intertwined. Like I'll act animalish but still be human, always without knowing it, when I do it slithers away..

Yet I dont shift very much, I'm human, I know it.

And to those on the WERE vs. FURRY : http://www.shifters.org/modules.php?op= ... cle&sid=37

I personaly think they are pretty related, but I sappose this sorta places them apart.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."