Trekkies and Trekkers...wha?

The place for anything at all...
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Trekkies and Trekkers...wha?

Post by Set »

:? Uhm, ok we've all probably heard of Trekkies by now but I stumbled across a different term...Trekkers. Apparently there are differences between the two but I have no clue what they are. Any Star Trek fans care to explain this to one confused little wuffie?
Howling Fan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Howling Fan »

In no way am I a "Star Trek" fan (I prefer "Star Wars"), but I happen to know the answer to this, though I'm not sure how this question is related to this forum or website. "Star Trek" fans used to be called "trekkies" until a bunch of nerds got upset and said they would rather be called "trekkers" because it supposedly sounds better and has more dignity, or something, than the kiddy-sounding "trekkies." This is why they named the documentary, and its sequel, on "Star Trek" fans "Trekkers." Then again, Mr. Bill Shatner himself told a convention of "Star Trek" fans on "Saturday Night Live": "Get a life!!"
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Howling Fan wrote:In no way am I a "Star Trek" fan (I prefer "Star Wars"), but I happen to know the answer to this, though I'm not sure how this question is related to this forum or website. "Star Trek" fans used to be called "trekkies" until a bunch of nerds got upset and said they would rather be called "trekkers" because it supposedly sounds better and has more dignity, or something, than the kiddy-sounding "trekkies." This is why they named the documentary, and its sequel, on "Star Trek" fans "Trekkers." Then again, Mr. Bill Shatner himself told a convention of "Star Trek" fans on "Saturday Night Live": "Get a life!!"

Hmm.... Trekkies. Another name for Star Trek fans. To bad they can't find one for Star Wars fans. Warries? That doesn't sound right.
Lurch
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by Lurch »

Actually you are close, Howling Fan. Trekker came about to seperate the newer fans from the more *psycho Trekkies. I don't personally see a difference, all trek fans are trek fans. I am one. I have never been to a con or let it go any further than just loving to watch old episodes.

*not that I feel that way, that is just a common Trekker attitude.

PS, this relates because it is in General Stuff, hence the name of the forum. The Pack message board is just a collection of different forums for different purposes, if it doesen't seem to go anywhere else and want to discuss or post something for Pack members to see, this is the forum to do it.
"If you love someone, set them free" - Gordon Sumner
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

Trekker: some who goes on a trek((they travel from place to place to find one place))

Trekkie: a major star trek fan
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Something of interest. Kinda Star Trek related. Transporters in the real world.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6940417/
Mitternacht
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Live long and some junk

Post by Mitternacht »

I have been a closet fan of the genere since the 70's

basically, the two break down as the following

Trekkie: Sees Willima shatner on teh street and says ITS CAPTIAN KIRK! Wears Federation uniforms, can quote everything ever said......basically a major fanatic of the series. Good example , The kid from Gallexy Quest.

Trekker: a fan of the serise that appreciates it for what it is , but doesnt get fanatical about it.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Why do you pink-skins keep staring at my antennae?

Post by Scott Gardener »

I've understood the "Trekkie" versus "Trekker" debate essentially dead, being a thing that came up in the nineties and died out. and, as you can see by the different takes already suggested, it's like the difference between "therian" and "shifter"--semantics. They both mean the same thing, but are born of political silliness that is best left in the past.

On quantum teleportation: great article. Glad to know that as futuristic as it sounds, at least someone's willing to look into it.

So, when are we going to see our intrepid crew go back in time to find a pair of gray wolves to respond to the howling signals of an alien probe?
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Why do you pink-skins keep staring at my antennae?

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:On quantum teleportation: great article. Glad to know that as futuristic as it sounds, at least someone's willing to look into it.
Yup, sure is. No more being late to work. AND you get your item from ebay a few mintues after the winning bid!! :o
Scott Gardener wrote:So, when are we going to see our intrepid crew go back in time to find a pair of gray wolves to respond to the howling signals of an alien probe?

Heh, I wonder what the alien probe will look like. :)
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Figarou wrote:Hmm.... Trekkies. Another name for Star Trek fans. To bad they can't find one for Star Wars fans. Warries? That doesn't sound right.
I think Star Wars fans get classified by what element of Star Wars they like the best. On the base level you have the Jedai (which includes Yoda) and the Empire, then for subgroups, you have the gungans, the Jawas, the sandpeople, the Ewoks, and the Bobba Fetts.

And my understanding of "Trekkers" is that it's basically the product of fandom pride and media attention. What I've noticed with a lot of fandoms is that, when the media takes interest in a fandom, they will use an extreme case as a representation which the casual fans will in turn want to distance themselves from. The media example of a Trekkie, for example, is the guy that can speak the Klingon language, whereas a casual fan would be somebody that bought a Star Fleet shirt at either JC Penny or a costume store in November.
Another example that we may be more familiar with is the separation between "furries" and "therians," or for one that might be easier to relate to, the classification of "furries" and "furverts."

So its basically a term only used by Trekkies that want to acknowledge being Trek fans but at the same time set themselves apart from other kinds of Trekkies.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Ah ok I think I get it now.

And I heard somewhere that a term for Star Wars fans was "warsies". Actually that was in a webcomic, but it's the only one I've run across.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Reilune wrote:Ah ok I think I get it now.

And I heard somewhere that a term for Star Wars fans was "warsies". Actually that was in a webcomic, but it's the only one I've run across.
The only nickname for Star Wars fans that I've heard is "Jed-Heads", and even that I only heard once on a documentary.

Some Star Wars Fans are just as eccentric ,(and *cough* "crazy" *cough*), as Over-the-top Trekkies, and yet they have escaped being given a stupid nickname, simply,(it seems), because no one has been able to come up with one yet.

...once a name becomes popularized, I'm sure I will be accused of being one eventually. (Me and my 50 Action figures...10 large toy vehicles [and 6 micro ones] ...multiple versions of the original trilogy and Episode ONE...the ability to correctly name off irrelevant numbers and codes uttered durring the films...my Six lightsabers...etc, etc...)

My "Deluxe electronic X-Wing" is sitting proudly next to my PC monitor right now. *Pushes down R2-D2 to que obnoxious movie quote, and recieves protest from brother across the room* ...oh, and I'm listening to the SW:E1 soundtrack as I type. :lol:

...*cough*... :oops:
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Vuldari wrote:The only nickname for Star Wars fans that I've heard is "Jed-Heads", and even that I only heard once on a documentary.
:lol:
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Well, he's a Vorlon.

Post by Scott Gardener »

And then there's always those who have to compare Trek and Star Wars, insisting that one is better than the other.

and then, there's Babylon 5, just to make the debate bigger.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Well, he's a Vorlon.

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:And then there's always those who have to compare Trek and Star Wars, insisting that one is better than the other.

and then, there's Babylon 5, just to make the debate bigger.
Lets add Battlestar Galactica and Space 1999 while we are at it. :wink:
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

By your command

Post by Scott Gardener »

But, do they make the debate any harder?

As far as the old vs. the new Battlestar, there's no question. All the gritty realism and hardcore character development of the new series still can't compete with the London Symphony Orchestra and a cast of people like Lorne Greene.

Still, the new version is interesting in its own right, if you don't try to pit it against the sheer scope of the old version. It's just that we already have a ton of gritty sci fi shows about military officers waging battles. Star Wars has shades of it without overwhelming into it; Star Trek has at times degenerated into it; and Babylon 5 polished it up. The original Battlestar did it before it was so heavily overdone, and tempered it with a lot of positive and optimistic character development.

today, just about any new sci fi seems to be about military people shooting at stuff. Certainly every major video game is.

Still, I'm watching the show, so I can't dislike it too much. The twist of making Starbuck a woman and Boomer a cute oriental girl who's actually a Cylon spy is interesting. The guy they got for Adama is good. They did the right thing not trying to recreate the original, and throwing in these dramatic re-thinks are a good way to launch the new series.
Rodentia
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rodentia »

my problem with the new B.G. is that almost all of the changes were simply to make the show more PC and appeal to a mass audience...which raises the question of why they changed Boomer's race..

and as for Trekkies and Trekkers..does that make the 'thrope version Wolfies and Wolfers?
To Sleep..Perchance To Scream
Chance
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: There is joy in everything you do, you just have to realize it's there so you can embrace it.
Mood: Happy

Re: Trekkies and Trekkers...wha?

Post by Chance »

As a huge Star Trek fan I had always thought the trekkie and trekker had come about when Next Gen hit the scene. It was sort of a divide between new fans and older fans. I happen to appriciate quite a few Newer Star Treks( Next Gen, Deep Space Nine, etc.). There was a hot debate between trekkies and trekkers when Next Gen came out, on which one was better. I don't think either is actually better than the other since they are very different from eachother and each holds it's own candle. Pre-tween, I grew up watching reruns of the OG Trek and when Next Gen came out, I was really excitied. It was new, though it would carry some old themes of life in space and meeting new species, it was a different take on those ideas, with new people.
I had never seen trekkie vs trekker as a level of enthusiasm for the shows, for me it was simply an old generation and new generation term.