"Permanent Werewolf" as a medical procedure?

The place for anything at all...

Would you submit to a medical proceedure to gain permanent (non-shapeshifting) lupine features?

Yes. Full Gestalt form (AKA: The Works).
32%
Yes. Some changes, but mostly human in appearance.
11%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
16%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
8%
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
33%

Total votes: 63

Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

"Permanent Werewolf" as a medical procedure?

Post by Uniform Two Six »

Okay. This comes out of Ralith's post on page three of the "Do you think real werewolves exist?" thread. http://calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewtopic.php?t=488 Ralith was making a long, complicated post, but one thing he said caught my attention. I tend to disagree with a certain number of people on this board and believe that physical shapeshifting is not and never will be possible (not even with a hundred more years of progress in medical science). I just find it too conflicting with all we think we know about biology. However, as Ralith pointed out in his post, it might be plausible that medical science could someday give you all of the abilities of a gestalt werewolf (through genetic manipulation, cybernetic augmentation, or some other mode of medical proceedure not yet envisioned).

There's one little catch, though. You would not be a shapeshifter. You would be (more or less) stuck with whatever changes were made. You could have it reversed through another proceedure, but for the purposes of this discussion, let's say that you ran out of money on the first one, and are now stuck with your new body, for better or for worse.

For me, I'd knee-jerk towards the full gestalt option purely for the cool-factor. However, I would have to acknowledge that life as a circus freak would be waaaay too stressful. I don't think I could live with that level of social isolation (and you would be isolated socially -- nobody is going to strike up a conversation or want to hang out with something that looks like that). I would have to go with the "nothing outwardly obvious" option, myself.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Um... I'm kinda sleep drunk so i voted on Full Gestalt...
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

Hell yes I would go the works 8)
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

the works .............definately :D :howl:  :oo
wolf_onmitsu
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: I have no clue what's going on

Post by wolf_onmitsu »

Teh works! :D
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

same, the works.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

I think Id do gestalt definatly. But I voted for think about it b/c Im not sure how my mate would handle that.

And I do believe in physical shifting! :D
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

I think I might get senses improved or my eyes changed, but I wouldn't want full gestalt at all. Imagine the way people would treat you....
Besides, for me the appeal of weres is the ability to shift, not neccisarily the end result. (as awesome as it may be!)
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

PariahPoet wrote:Besides, for me the appeal of weres is the ability to shift, not neccisarily the end result. (as awesome as it may be!)
Same here.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Look, Ma! He's smiling!"

Post by Moon_Lover »

Personall, I voted Gesalt. If there are people who are so shallow that they can't look under the skin, why bother socializing *with* them?
You can run, you can hide, but I'll still pounce on you and lick you silly.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Agreed, but my concern would not be socialization. You wouldn't be able to get a job and support yourself, and if you decided to live in the wilderness then rednecks would be fighting eachother for a chance to shoot you and take you to the taxidermist.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Interesting :Jester3:
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I Voted ,"Would have to think about it a long time".

First off, I have to agree with PariahPoet as well...

...my facination with werewolves is primarily the concept that one could have more than one form...Shapeshifting.

However, I can not deny that I have come to be quite fond of the appearance of Furred Mammals, such as Wolves, Foxes, Felines, etc.

I can think of many good reasons why I SHOULDN'T do such a thing, and not many why I SHOULD.

Personal Vanity would be my primary motivator if I were to consider this...and I know I would at least seriously 'consider' it...I couldn't resist.

As for enhancing my senses...if I could afford it, and it was prooven safe and life-long-lasting (meaning, it wont backfire and make me go blind and deaf in 30 years), why Wouldn't I? I have to wear Eyeglasses, and I HATE IT. ...but Wolves are NearSighted and partially Color blind, so that is probobly not relevant here.

If it was affordable, and healthy (no bad side effects)...AND...I was sure the world was ready to accept me like that, (...able to get a normal job, walk down the street without being spat upon or run from in terror, etc...) I would love to go for "THE WORKS".

...but not as the form of a Gestalt Werewolf, and not if it involved surgically grafting artificially created parts onto my body.

Anthropomorphic Fox/Dog all the way...manipulated from the inside out, so that my existing biology and shape would determine the fine details of the final result, rather than the artistry of the surgions who do the surgery and grafts.

Basically, my requirements are Impossible so I would never do it.

...but if the 'Impossible' was "Possible"...I think that would be awesome!!! Sign Me Up! Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living

Post by Lukas »

well i voted "think about it" for these simple reasons
1. it would be cool but......
2. do i really want to do somthing that is basiclly plastic surgry?
3. with if im fine with myslef and make my friends and family have a differnt opinion if they see me do this?
to factors have to be thinked over first
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Bleah. Well. I hate being human, but I would like something other than wolf. Lupine isn't really my thing. If wolf was my only option I'd go for "mostly human". If I could pick a different animal (fox, tiger, hyena, velociraptor...) I'd go with the works.
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Chakat

Post by Short Tail »

*cough*
http://home.telepath.com/~wanderer/imagine_furnetics/

Dont tell em it is fake, let them dream
"War is over if you want it to be. Imagine all the people living life in peace." - John & Yoko
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

*claps* Bravo, Short Tail. I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy. Ah, you have to love the internet. Where did you find that?
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Yes. Some changes, but mostly human in appearance. Full gestalt is cool and all, but I think it soon gets boring if you have to deal with it every day. Especially when you'r working in a office or something (you ever tried to write something down with gloves on your hand? Kinda the same thing if you ask me :P).
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

:P dork
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

:o yeah.......um...............NO
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

:o Dude I've thought about getting gene therapy, but I thought it was at least 5-10 years away
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Chakat

Post by Short Tail »

yeah, but the price is so steep, might be that long till you can afford it. XD
"War is over if you want it to be. Imagine all the people living life in peace." - John & Yoko
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

how much?
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

50-60 thou. at least :)
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

HAha, try somewhere in the millions.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image