Venting

The place for anything at all...
Baphnedia

Re: Venting

Post by Baphnedia »

Terastas, I was going to mention the 2013 thing - but if there are so many different versions of the bill floating around, then this issue isn't actually going to get solved in the near term unless someone puts their foot down and says 'one bill, one solution, one vote'. Otherwise, I'm afraid that they're just going to run around like chickens with their heads cut off for the next two years and not actually put anything into action.

As for our schools, yes, this country is anti-intelligence.

Oooh, and for those 'irresponsible gun owners', Atlanta International Airport is off-limits to you; and folks from Atlanta are lobbying to have federal funds removed from airports that allow folks to carry guns. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MM0KaVq ... re=related

Which is worse, that we have a depression thread on the forums, or that our venting thread has 1,000 replies?
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Depression happens when you don't vent. So I'd say a robust Venting thread is a good sign :)
ImageImageImageImage
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

For once, I finally realised what I have been doing wrong with some thing's. I have finally understood what has been causing me to go into such routes of bickering and dispair with some people and what I need to do. Frankly in a lot of talks with people I know and even in some cases, love I have drifted from what debate and dicussion are meant to be. Instead of just educating the other side (and vice versa) on an issue and showing the other person my views and why I think they are sound ones, I slipped into the awful mistake of just turning it into an us vs them issue. Instead of just someone who I disagree wth for such and such reasons, I turned it into an opponant who I need to win against at any cost. Yeah you could say in some situations you have to do that but I was doing it for a lot to thing's. I also shoved stuff onto people who could not give a damn or were not so privy to talk about certain things

On top of that I got angry, a lot. I said hurtful things too people and then expected them to be nice to me. God I even snapped at people for mundane things instead of just leaving. I know I have problems with my temper yet lol, my dumbass self stayed in the talks and such.

Yeah this may sound like I am trying to sucker up to people but its damn well not. I just realised a problem and I like to..well vent them. :lol:
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
WereDragon25
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The lovestruck wolf.
Location: Conway, AR. Such a big town for such a small wolf...

Post by WereDragon25 »

...Why this!!! I got a lot of my stress relieved, or, well, I learned to do all of it, and get my social life. Now, I have a 2 new problems, which I don't understand at all. First of all, I got a small web show that's starting, we play pranks on each other, then upload onto youtube, we haven't got the site running yet. My bro's step-dad, Larry, played the ultimate one on us last night. We were gonna get Andrew, my bro, back, so his step-dad said he had an anesthetic in the car, that we could use to play a prank on him, then record him when he wakes up. He went out to the car and came back, I started to hold in near Andrew's face, he dodged, which led to a 30 minute UFC fight over the "Ether", we were actually going to punches, fighting for consciousness, after he had a fill of laughing, he told us it was really WD-40 sprayed on a rag!!! I have bruises on my sides, my arms, and my forehead. Now, I gotta find a way to get him back. Then, there is this girl on my Cross-Country team, she's shy, and I made a move, she told me that she liked this other guy, Calvin. I normally bounce back fast and move onto someone else, but, for some reason this red-head is burned into my thoughts, I go for MAYBE 15 minutes without thinking bout her. What is wrong with me???
Going crazy with all of the work I do, all of the practice I do, and all of the $@#% I have to deal with. God, please help and support Obsidian and I get through this mess.
Image Image Image Image Image

"And, thanks to Undercover Brother, the world was once again a funky place."
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

You're going through puberty, regardless of how old you are. :P
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
WereDragon25
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WereDragon25 »

I went through puberty about 4 years ago, though.
Going crazy with all of the work I do, all of the practice I do, and all of the $@#% I have to deal with. God, please help and support Obsidian and I get through this mess.

Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

WereDragon25 wrote:I went through puberty about 4 years ago, though.
All the way through?
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
WereDragon25
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WereDragon25 »

Yes, I did. Could it be brain damage? I've fallen pretty far out of a tree and landed on my head, could tat be it?

Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

Yeah, it's not that there's anything wrong with you, this is the way you're hardwired. Not much you can do about it, though I hear heavy drinking, making country music, and excessive amounts of violence are the unhealthy ways in which most people deal with it.

Brain damage would be more along the lines of forgetting how to do basic math, or talking to a dead mouse you carry around in your pocket.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Spongy »

s*** happens.

Good god does s*** happen.
WereDragon25
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WereDragon25 »

Then what the heck is wrong with me? I found out at the lake, yesterday, I can hit on other girls, as usual, but, if I do, and even if I don't, I see her and think about her, I bounce back fast, I get rejected, I move on to another immediately, I NEVER think about someone after I get rejected.

RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Just whatever you do...DON'T STALK HER! :x

Maybe it's a psychotic fixation or maybe you don't want to stop thinking about her, regardless of what you say.

Sit down with yourself and keep asking yourself why? until you get an answer you can work with.
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

Last edited by Sevena on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

:P *sigh*

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090908/ap_ ... wings_yale

Honestly, it doesn't surprise me that the university that was dumb enough to give George W. Bush a diploma was also dumb enough to think they could publish a book about the cartoons without the cartoons.
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

That is depressing... y'know, after the book is published; would it be irony if the muslim world gets violent and protests about being censored, or being presented as unequal?
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I'm unemployed and I'm pissed off about it. I have a god damn college degree; there should be something decent out there.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Terastas wrote::P *sigh*

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090908/ap_ ... wings_yale

Honestly, it doesn't surprise me that the university that was dumb enough to give George W. Bush a diploma was also dumb enough to think they could publish a book about the cartoons without the cartoons.
You know this is what makes me angry and even offended as an Puerto Rican/ American citizen. Muslims keep saying that they are a religion of peace, yet everything that has happened in the past 9 years proved otherwise. The so called moderates majority don't do anything nearly enough to suppress the radicals. They simply don't want to face the fact that Islam in it's current state is the most fractured religion in the world and it's also by far the most violent. Everytime there is anything spoken that criticize about Islam, hundreds and thousands of muslims all around the world grabs their torches and rocks and start causing chaos just because a lot of them (not all) refuse to face criticism and to admit that they are wrong is against their beliefs and all that mumbo jumbo. What gets me mad is that they don't want to go by our laws and culture, instead they want to move into our countries and make us follow theirs. And alot of pro-muslims don't want to see this. A good example is Mark Steyn book call "America Alone" which basically criticizes Islam and Muslims and saying that they are planning to take over countries by over-populating in the countries and try to be the countries majority, and this really angered the Muslims in Canada and demanded for hes book to be banned, the Canadian government actually took this guy to court, this is a direct violation of freedom of speech plain and simple, there shouldn't even be a court on this case and normally there wouldn't be. It's just radical and semi radical muslims wanting to have special treatment and be supremacist over non-believers.

Also I want to point out that I don't hate the muslim moderates or Islam in general. The thing is Islam needs a reform and the moderates want this, but the radicals and semi-radicals (the ones who riot everytime there is any insult to Mohammad and etc) do not want this, and want to force their version of Islam on to the rest of the world. So sorry if I have offended anyone.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I got too relaxed at my martial arts training earlier this evening, and because of that, I forgot to take my phone and charger out of the wall socket.

So now I have to wait around 14 gruelling hours for me to get back into the venue in hopes that I'll get it back again since it's late and the venue would've been as good as closed right about now. And I'm pretty sure the thing's overcharged by the time it's pulled out, but like as if that's the first time that's ever happened.

So tired.
lycanthropeful
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf Wannabe
Mood: Ruthless

Post by lycanthropeful »

I've had it coming for a long time: I use a PC (a Lenovo IdeaPad Y510, to be exact), and as most people know, Macs are the preferred computer platform of the graphic design industry. I am a college sophomore, and this is the year in which I can apply for the graphic design program. After already having to buy the entire Adobe Creative Suite CS3 LAST year for my art classes, and was never told that Macs were required (they were recommended, but absolutely not required), I now have to one, buy a certain MacBook that my professor recommends, and two, buy Office 2008 and the Adobe Creative Suite CS4.

I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a Mac. I hate them with all my heart, but I am not letting a crappy computer stand in the way of my hopefully future career...it just irks me that this notice was sent out maybe four or five days before the class started, and I'm already raising money for a $1,400 mandatory trip. Buying textbooks and dropping $1,900 on the MacBook alone could not come at a worse time.

Plus, I don't know if I will make it into the program until my portfolio is reviewed at the end of this year... but I still need to buy the Mac.
SaxGirl1010 @ deviantART
Art commissions are currently OPEN! Click HERE!
Vengeance, my werewolf novel: ON SALE NOW!
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

It's snobbery, plain and simple. Macs are for cool indie artists, and PCs are for stuffy computer geeks (that TV commercial told me so,) so you have to get one if you want to succeed in art school! Never mind the fact that the same programs run just as well on a $500 PC laptop.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

Like on this one tech forum I read, no one there recommends Macs, people there (me as well) build our systems that work just fine for a LOT less then the cost of a Mac.
Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: yradnegeL

Post by Howlitzer »

@lycanthropeful: or, if they don't check/care of the legitemacy of what you have on your existing computer.... you can find someone who can get a dual-boot of Hackintosh running on your lenovo :P
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Have you spoken to your counselor about this sudden requirement? Granted, I was in college for the first time about the same time your parents were; but this was common then, too.

Back then, one week before I was scheduled to start a high-level math class, the teacher directed that only one slide-rule would be considered as acceptable, and students using any other could expect a "C" at best, if they did "A" level work.
I spoke to my counseler, and low and behold; the "requirement" was rescinded and any 12" or longer slide-rule was accepted. Since mine was my father's 16" slide-rule,* I not only got an "A" in the course, but the teacher wanted to buy it from me at the end of the class.
*back then, bigger was better; since on a sliderule you have to calculate values from where the index sits between numbers, a sort of educated guess. The longer, the finer the estimate could be since the distances were greater, especially in the higher numbers since their spacing was logarythmic, not equal in graduation.
Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: yradnegeL

Post by Howlitzer »

I agree, to be perfectly honest I see no good reason for Macs to be required if you can run the same software (Photoshop CS4) on your laptop, unless at some point there is going to be a hardware compatibility issue.....which is more likely to happen on a Mac, unless the hardware in question is an Apple product. They're very good at making proprietary things that either don't work on anything else or need an expensive adaptor that only they produce.

So yeah, I can see why you would be required to get CS4....but being required to fork over $1900 for a new laptop, I would verify the full reasoning behind that and whether or not it actually makes any sense. You can run CS4 on your Lenovo, and the latest version of Microsoft Office for PC's (2007) I believe is virtually identical in functionality to Office 2008 for Macs. If there isn't a logical requirement that can't be reproduced on your non-Apple laptop, your argument is valid.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I had a similar problem when I tried to take a photography class in college. I actually had a digital camera, and when I told the professor about it, he looked at me like Freddy and Jason were creeping up behind me. I couldn't even get him to tell me what was wrong with digital -- he just stood there with his jaw tight and shaking his head like a four-year-old hiding a cookie behind his back.

Turned out the only cameras he would allow his students to work with were all available from this shop a couple of blocks away owned by a guy he actually had the balls to refer to as "his friend." Needless to say, I dropped the class as soon as I could.

It's basically the same scenario I think: the professor is using his position of authority to force students into buying new equipment so he doesn't have to learn a different format.

I think you've got three options. . . None of which are good mind you, but this is all I can think of doing:

1) Call the professor out on it, or inquire into the ethics / legitimacy of such a requirement with one of his superiors (my student loans for 2 1/2 years do not equal what you're paying for this class -- that can't be right).

2) Drop the class before you have to buy anything. See if the class has any other professors teaching it and look into a possible transfer into one that may not be managed by a Mac-purist. If not, save up now so you can afford to take it later.

3) Deliberately buy the cheapest Mac you can find, or make as little use as possible out of what you are required to buy so you can sell them used after the class and get a partial return on your investment.