Werewolfish foot

The place for anything at all...
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Werewolfish foot

Post by Jamie »

The picture attached to this article, touted as a yeti foot, actually looks pretty werewolfy to me. The moment I saw it, I began getting ideas about using it as a model for drawing better werewolf art.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

It does look more werewolfish then yeti. Looks like it may have pads and claws. As far as I know, no primate ever has those features on their feet. :) Interesting
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Image Image

The photograph of the limb does not look human-like at all to me. ...my first thought was that it reminded me of a Lion's paw... (...not that I even really know what a lions paw looks like...), but the x-ray of the foot looks undeniably humanoid.

I'm quite perplexed as to what to make of this. Whatever this thing was, it appears that it was a vertically stanced, plantigrade, furry, claw-toed creature.

...extrordinary...Image
Last edited by Vuldari on Thu May 26, 2005 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

hmmmm, yeti or werewolf it looks pretty cool.... maybe more paranormal hunters should go to siberia
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Weird... :?
Rooster Urlakane
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rooster Urlakane »

hey he wares a size 36
now why would they say that is would be like a human? ??
bombs and more,
lets hit the floor.
sleep deprived and betrayed
lets be very...very...afraid.
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

Rooster Urlakane wrote:hey he wares a size 36
now why would they say that is would be like a human? ??
because they are dumbasses :D
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

It certainly does have more canine or possibly feline than simian in it.

Which raises a question for another potential thread starter: Out of all the legends concerning shapeshifters and beasts of legend, how many of them could be the same thing?
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

Terastas wrote:It certainly does have more canine or possibly feline than simian in it.

Which raises a question for another potential thread starter: Out of all the legends concerning shapeshifters and beasts of legend, how many of them could be the same thing?
it could be a creature with no legends about it that is somewhat like a half wolf half man but is not a werewolf
Goldenwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Yes, -that- Goldenwolf

Post by Goldenwolf »

Not to rain on the parade here, but looking at that from a wildlife artist's eye:

Bear foot, specificly the hind foot. Probably an extinct species of bear.

Just my two beans.
Over 25% of human genes are the same as those of a banana. Get over yourself.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

That's certainly a possibility, but if you ask me, I think it'd be more of a stretch to classify it as ursine as opposed to canine or feline. I don't see anything human-like about it, but if that's science's consensus about it, I can give it the benefit of a doubt.
Rooster Urlakane
Legendary
Legendary

I personaly would not just take one or two looks at a single, rather large and hairy leg and make an asumption that it is some sort of missing link between the human and the Bearingston Bears for heavens sake!
bombs and more,
lets hit the floor.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Goldenwolf wrote:Not to rain on the parade here, but looking at that from a wildlife artist's eye:
...Bear foot, specificly the hind foot. Probably an extinct species of bear.
Good eye Goldenwolf. You are probobly right...or at least closer to the truth than the scientists who think it is a Yeti.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

After I saw it I instantly thought bear foot, it looks very much like the hind leg of one. It looks capable of being stood apon strait up but doesn't look as though it came from a human or primate. I defeintly thought bear, and it seems Goldie has also pointed this out.

I sappose hen ever I drew werewolves I alays gave them normal back feet but made them bigger for space so to balance themselves hen they stood up. I sappose making the feet longer could help that.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Good relations with the Wookies have I

Post by Scott Gardener »

The foot itself looks like a furry, carnivorous mammal, but as a doctor, I can say the X-rays definitely look like a human foot.

I've considered the Yeti a real undiscovered mammal rather than a legend ever since I saw footage of one that showed up on an amateur vacation video. This foot looks like part of the same kind of creature. It was a primate, about eight feet tall, that was fairly aggressive--more than a gorilla by far, but less than a lion; the vacationers all survived. Imagine a greyish white wookie.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

If they had anything like taxidermy a few thousand years ago, perhaps they managed to wrap a human foot in bearhide, with some technique that modern taxidermists don't have of hiding the stitches. This would explain a bearish exterior with human-like bones inside.
Another possibility is that it is a genetic freak, a human with animal-like deformities. Some remarkably animal-like deformities do show up in the history of human genetic mutants, for example skin that has exactly the texture of an alligator's skin, or feet that resemble an ostrich. Since we do know that viruses occasionally cause genes to jump from one species to another by accident, perhaps some of these deformities could be so exactly like a different species because they come directly from the DNA of that other species.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

Yeah, I can tell you from my own background in medicine, that those xrays, and that photo, just don't match up.

hoax a plenty.
Rooster Urlakane
Legendary
Legendary

But one problem with your theory

Friggen size 36 shoes
if it was human
bombs and more,
lets hit the floor.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Jamie wrote:If they had anything like taxidermy a few thousand years ago, perhaps they managed to wrap a human foot in bearhide, with some technique that modern taxidermists don't have of hiding the stitches. This would explain a bearish exterior with human-like bones inside.
Another possibility is that it is a genetic freak, a human with animal-like deformities. Some remarkably animal-like deformities do show up in the history of human genetic mutants, for example skin that has exactly the texture of an alligator's skin, or feet that resemble an ostrich. Since we do know that viruses occasionally cause genes to jump from one species to another by accident, perhaps some of these deformities could be so exactly like a different species because they come directly from the DNA of that other species.
They didn't have taxidermy thousands of years ago. I strongly doubt that one could create a taxidermical fraud thousands of years before even sewing needles were invented. I have to agree with Master Brownrigg, in that, the x-ray and the photo don't match up very well. Besides, what would be the point of stuffing a human foot into the skin of a bear's foot thousands of years ago?
Furthermore, while virii can and do jump species on extremely rare ocassions, it's even rarer for these trans-species virii to introduce new genes into their new hosts, save to cause cancers or tumors. Sort of like, trying to cause an explosion by shooting live bees at a golden retriever puppy.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Arania
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Arania »

Terastas wrote:That's certainly a possibility, but if you ask me, I think it'd be more of a stretch to classify it as ursine as opposed to canine or feline. I don't see anything human-like about it, but if that's science's consensus about it, I can give it the benefit of a doubt.
Actually, I'm really going to have to agree with Goldie here on several accounts.
It would DEFINATELY be more ursine than canine or feline for two large reasons:
1) the foot is plantigrade. Contrary to some belief, not all large carnivorous mammals are digitigrade - bears being the notable exception. their feet may be large compared to a human, but much shorter than a canine or feline proportionally. They walk on the flat of their feet - hence the look on the remains (and Goldie's picture) of a pad along the entire base of the foot. This is actually supported wiht the photograph - showing a distinct heel.
2) 5 toes. Dogs and cats only have 4 toes on their back feet. Bears have 5.

It's not a great picture, but here's a skeletal bear where you can see that the anatomy in the feet isn't THAT different from a humans': http://www.mathematical.com/mammothcavebear.html

Honestly, I don't see anything in either of the photographs that would make me think it was anything but a bear :/.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Begun have the Clone Wars.

Post by Scott Gardener »

I know it's only 2005, but we do have rudamentary DNA testing. We could test the foot and see whether it's bear, primate, other carnivore, or some rare and exotic breed of nagahide.

Still, I can't wait until humanity is brave enough with DNA to learn things like genetic engineering. Then we'll have the know-how to put together the pieces and see what the thing looks like whole.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Good relations with the Wookies have I

Post by Aki »

Scott Gardener wrote: Imagine a greyish white wookie.
So....

Someone cut off Chewbacca's foot then...?

:lol:
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Must've been an angry Star Wars fan who cut it. They really didn't like Chewy.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Baphnedia wrote:Must've been an angry Star Wars fan who cut it. They really didn't like Chewy.
Or a collector. :lol:
Rooster Urlakane
Legendary
Legendary

SOME ONE HATES CHEWY! ?? :evil:
those sick muthas
Last edited by Rooster Urlakane on Sat May 28, 2005 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
bombs and more,
lets hit the floor.