Looking for a place

The place for anything at all...
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Looking for a place

Post by Timber-WoIf »

I'm currently looking at 1 bedroom apartments and studios, plan on moving out on my own in the very near future.
Anyway, i wasw wondering, what kind of stuff should i be looking for and asking about. Like, i know about how some places include utilities, and some have coin laundries. But is there other stuff i should ask about / look out for?
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Hey I'm on the same mission. I'm currently looking for housing help peirod here http://www.hud.gov/ Dunno if this if this could help you out or not but I myself am looking into it cause i was told about it. Hmm..this thing also covers all 50 states so look around an see if it can't help you. Good Luck :howl:  :oo
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Well, I would suggest going by at night- see if the parking lot is well-lit and if it looks like it would be safe after dark. Also see if there are many people playing loud music. My last apartment was a nightmare because these jerk guys across the hall would yell and party with music that shook my windows all night. I mean, you can call your landlord and complain, but the way my situation was, they would know it was me and I was really afraid of those guys, so it's better if you can just find a place that is normally quiet so you don't have to deal with it.
I don't know if you have a pet, but it's nearly impossible to find an affordable place that will allow them.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

If you have something like a Recycler or other "Throwaway" paper- look there. Get addresses, because rentals can show up in the building next door, for example- or down the block. Visit the place either at night or on the weekend and use Pariah's example to scope things out, then talk to the manager.
Get a Contract! Do NOT go month-to-month, or you might get tossed out by someone who will pay more for the apartment you're occupying. All you get then is a 30-day notice, or maybe not even that much. :cry:

Once there, look at the carpet in the hallway. It's a dga on how well the management takes care of the place. Look at the door and locks on it. Are they good? They're protecting your stuff! Ask about re-keying; the last tenants may still have a key. Look at the sink, toilet, and tub. Rust or calcium build up means leaks. Check the lights-make sure they all work. If it's a furnished apartment, check out the bed- that's where you'll spend at least a quarter of your time, every day.
Look at the building: is it in good repair, or have they just painted over the problems? Are there gang-signs or graffiti? Can your apartment be literally sealed up like a paranoid clam-or do the windows not lock? And are the screens all in good shape? (That's one of the first things that are let go in a declining residence.) Talk to your prospective neighbors! Finally, set your rent and do NOT go over that amount! You can't economize elsewhere-it just won't work! Remember-rents can and will up, sometimes annually; sometimes sooner (that's why the contract is important!) :wink:

I used to manage four units, and had two other residences on my own property that I rented out. Been there, done that. Had to evict a family that stuffed six extra people into their flat-and that was no picnic. :(

The age of the relaxed easy rentals is over. It's a business, now-treat it like one...and be prepared for a credit check, too. It's like buying a car in many ways...and do not go over one third of your monthly income on the rent. Be aware that you can't "move in" somebody to help with the rent.
And see who pays for the Utilities. You don't want a nasty surprise there. Since you're online, make sure that the telephone works reliably.
Two words to live by: Don't Assume! Always get a clear answer before you sign that contract, and don't sign if the manager "waffles" on things.

Be polite, be cool, and use your good sense-you'll be all right! hwlwnk
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

I too am looking for a place to live for a year or two in Dallas Texas before I move again for college. Apartments are suprisingly vacant all across the DFW Metroplex as more and more people move into houses, so the monthly rent fees are way down. Gotta pounce on it soon before I loose a good deal.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Look for a thermostat.

If there isnt one in the apartment it means they control the heat and it may not always be as warm as you'd like.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend