$1600 - $800 rebates

The place for anything at all...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

$1600 - $800 rebates

Post by Figarou »

Ooooooo.......money!!! :cash:

What do you guys think of this plan Bush is cooking up? Good? Bad?

I sure can use some extra cash. Problem is...I hope it doesn't interfere with my 2008 taxes and I end up oweing next year.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

It's gonna be pointless, since the dollar value is dropping, and any "new" jobs the economy creats are more or less "MC"Jobs. Jobs you can't sustain yourself or live on, or that depend wholly on the WELL PAYING JOBS that get sent to china by the thousands.

Face it, this is the governments fault, and they're trying to placate you with "refunds"
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Post by Avareis »

Do what I do. Anything you get back from the government(which was yours in the first place) put it back in the bank. The worth of the dollar is going to go back up. DUUU! So, save it and it will be worth more later on. Anything I get back, I put towards next year's taxes. It's almost like a common sense to do this. Pointless? It's how you use that money. Really.
After all, I have to save every penny I earn. The next generation isn't going to sustain me. Thanks to some "Tweeking" in the social security, the older group has a better retirement while I and so many young people are going to have to work our butts to the bone while placing some saving away, for ourselves, for our retirement. YEAH!!! Thank goodness for quick solutions that get you no where in the long run!!! :x Some things can't be control. You can't always predict them. The ones in line for reasons for failure goes directly to the current President first, government and then those that caused it. Placing the blame isn't going to get anyone anywhere. It's always the past events that cause a reaction. Learning how to deal with those changes is the important thing.
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

Avareis wrote:Do what I do. Anything you get back from the government(which was yours in the first place) put it back in the bank. The worth of the dollar is going to go back up. DUUU! So, save it and it will be worth more later on. Anything I get back, I put towards next year's taxes. It's almost like a common sense to do this. Pointless? It's how you use that money. Really.
After all, I have to save every penny I earn. The next generation isn't going to sustain me. Thanks to some "Tweeking" in the social security, the older group has a better retirement while I and so many young people are going to have to work our butts to the bone while placing some saving away, for ourselves, for our retirement. YEAH!!! Thank goodness for quick solutions that get you no where in the long run!!! :x Some things can't be control. You can't always predict them. The ones in line for reasons for failure goes directly to the current President first, government and then those that caused it. Placing the blame isn't going to get anyone anywhere. It's always the past events that cause a reaction. Learning how to deal with those changes is the important thing.
finally, someone who understands basic economics
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Oh no! Run away! Run away at full tilt!

This refund thing will placate the masses, but you probably won't get much to actually deduct (where in years past, I would be able to get $1200-$1500 back in a refund, these past few years, the rebate is ALL that I get). *sob*
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Looking in perspective:

Some years ago California wound up with a lot of extra money in the till. A lot, really...or so the Governor said. So, he gave it away to various people, like reducing the registration on new cars, and making small transactions at the DMV free.
Because there was this obscene amount of money, you see.
It was also an election year, and he lost (thank goodness).
Two years later, we needed that money, and it wasn't there.
So, we wound up with all sorts of new taxes, and increases on the taxes we already had.
The only reason the Government gives you a nickel is so it can take a dime, later...or maybe a quarter. :x
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Avareis »

RedEye wrote:Looking in perspective:

Some years ago California wound up with a lot of extra money in the till. A lot, really...or so the Governor said. So, he gave it away to various people, like reducing the registration on new cars, and making small transactions at the DMV free.
Because there was this obscene amount of money, you see.
It was also an election year, and he lost (thank goodness).
Two years later, we needed that money, and it wasn't there.
So, we wound up with all sorts of new taxes, and increases on the taxes we already had.
The only reason the Government gives you a nickel is so it can take a dime, later...or maybe a quarter. :x
I understand that. What the Governor did was a bad idea. No one likes the DMV, but reducing registration cost and all that isn't going to make people dislike the DMV less. COMEON!!! How does that help anything? You're giving cars to those who can't afford it in the first place and there is public transportation that is affordable and economically safer than cars already in place!

With the rebate, people can do whatever they want with it. They can save it, like me who will need it, or someone can spend it. Those(the ones who spend it) are the people that are encouraging growth and creating jobs because its more affordable to do so. Either way is good and it works. Democrat politicians(I'm not labeling, because this is true) keep saying that it doesn't work, yet it worked and better days have come to pass. Regan(times then were tough) used this idea and that lead to better times in the Bush and full on into the Clinton(though he took credit for something already in place) ministration. And, it created jobs during the current Bush administration. Things have gotten a little rough again as we currently are heading towards, but this tactic may prove beneficial as it has done in the past. It is no different than before, but far different from what occurred in California....Stupid Governor.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

You missed my point: The only reason the Government gives you a nickel is so they can later take a dime.

Since it's tax money, it was ours to begin with. So; we're being given our own money as a gift. Whee.

Now, if the Government were required to give us a report on what it had taken in and what it had spent, a sort of reverse 1040 form, there might be a reason to return some of our taxes to us.
There isn't.
Due to inflation, the money we would get back is worth less then the money we sent in: but I'll bet it would be taxed the same.

In short, anything you get for free, whether from the Government or anything else, isn't worth the price charged for it. Even if it's free...
I've been given some "freebies" that I'm still paying for...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Avareis »

Yeah, I got what you meant. Let's hope the taxes don't screw us up. It depends on who will be in office the next term that will determine whether the taxes will go up or not, that is whether a Republican or a Democrat is in office.
But, the thing is about things becoming more tight on the wallet isn't necessarily inflation. It's actually growth. It's hard to tell at first glance, but looking at what is changing one can see that it is in fact growth.
Let's hope Bush doesn't get any other ideas other than that though. The man irritated the hell at out me with that amnesty bill.