The place for anything at all...
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Re: Reclaiming masculinity from "manhood"

Post by MoonKit »

Scott Gardener wrote:This is a belief architecture that operates as follows: one must not be homosexual, and one must not appear to be homosexual at any and all costs. To do otherwise risks an unspecified great peril...
I know you were being serious and you made a good point but that made me laugh. 8)

Its funny that a lot of us get mistaken for gay. Ive been told by a good friend of mine who is bisexual that he thought I was bi. Nope, just boys for me. But I guess its because I lack makeup and a purse and tend to carry myself more like a boy. Not "manly" but not "feminine" either so I guess people get confused. But its not that Im not acting female...Im just not acting like a "woman." :P

And I think the whole "manly men" thing is ridiculous. Ive always fallen for the more sensitive men. In the relationship I just came out of (yeah by the way me and my mate are done...still friends though! It was mutual) there were times where it seemed more like I was the boy and he the girl. I totally agree that people have to stop with these very binding gender roles.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Post by Avareis »

MattSullivan wrote:Don't be too judgmental about men for that reason. Men are GENETICALLY predisposed to find, and mate with AS MANY FEMALES AS THEY CAN. It's nature. It's NOT NICE. Women don't like that fact and think men are just "using" them. But it's a plain, and simple fact.

It's NATURE. Not men trying to be a-holes. If you were a man, you'd understand, But you aren't. We men are not women, so we don't know what it's like to be you. I think if both genders understood that there'd be less fighting when it came to the issue of casual sex, but as I said before, we seem to be genetically destined to think in opposite ways.
That means I'm not a man then....I don't know whether to be happy or not.

One thing is for sure, that thing about the superior sex is a load of crap. It's THE biggest load of crap in our human nature to say who is weaker or stronger and who should go to war while the other stays home.
In truth it goes both ways, as men and women use each other in different ways. I know women that use men for money and a night out pass. It's said that men use women for sex, but women are also on the receiving end of that. I DO think that we are destined to think opposite ways, but not through genetics, but rather through the culture that we are brought up in. It's not always opposite. It's just a stupid idea that people cling to and that's something I get sick of, because women will use that as a defense and men use it to define their manhood and be one of the guys and trying to be uniform in that culture. It's sickeningly stupid. I though that that type of thinking went away after high school....I hate those people.
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

Very True, modern human society is messed up! I do too hate those kind of people.
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

I think this notion of masculinity is a part of a primal part of the male human psyche.

When i was in high school i took a psychology class, i learned that males of our species see each other as a hierarchy. I mean we feel we are at some point of the totem pole with other males below us as the same time males above us.

This is a human instinct to dominate which is more apparent in men because of the hormone testosterone. This was important because when humans were still living in caves the males who were the strongest and the most dominate got to breed and pass on their genes.

Today instead of beating down our lessers we show our strength and male virility to the opposite sex and other males by looking muscular, having a high paying job, driving big cars, doing supermodels, and yes, acting "macho".

It's not that society is messed up it's just the fact we are still as much of an animal as we were 10,000 years ago. Except that we now have a choice if we want to go along with it.
THE GAME

My Armory
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

MattSullivan wrote:Don't be too judgmental about men for that reason. Men are GENETICALLY predisposed to find, and mate with AS MANY FEMALES AS THEY CAN. It's nature. It's NOT NICE. Women don't like that fact and think men are just "using" them. But it's a plain, and simple fact.

It's NATURE. Not men trying to be a-holes. If you were a man, you'd understand, But you aren't. We men are not women, so we don't know what it's like to be you. I think if both genders understood that there'd be less fighting when it came to the issue of casual sex, but as I said before, we seem to be genetically destined to think in opposite ways.
You can also argue then that women only pick the biggest, most successful and strongest men because they are subconsciously looking to pass their jeans on to the best...like deer do. Thats nature too and I think it is partially true.

But humans are more capable of stronger emotions that I dont think that gives men an excuse to sleep around nor women an excuse to ignore the geekier men for the more "handsome". I think we are passed some instincts. Sure men can be a little more promiscuous and women can be picky. But I just want to make it clear that I dont think that is an excuse for sleeping around a lot.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I couldn't read all of Scott's writing on this... I just think he might be missing a point or two by miles. Then again, he's also referring to the machismo jocks as well, not just hackers on steroids.

But to state my opinion, i'm ambivalent towards it, like most other issues. On one hand, being called gay is amusing to me, because then i'd occasionally correct people that i'm only "half-gay". On the other hand, "gay" is an expletive that i hardly ever use unless i'm in sites the caliber of 4chan, because outside of imageboards, "gay" is a pathetically overrated expletive, and "s***" just seems to be a much more fitting and mature alternative.

Ultimately i think it all comes down to how dense your heads are. Sometimes, the denser, the better.
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Avareis »

Anubis wrote:I think this notion of masculinity is a part of a primal part of the male human psyche.

When i was in high school i took a psychology class, i learned that males of our species see each other as a hierarchy. I mean we feel we are at some point of the totem pole with other males below us as the same time males above us.

This is a human instinct to dominate which is more apparent in men because of the hormone testosterone. This was important because when humans were still living in caves the males who were the strongest and the most dominate got to breed and pass on their genes.

Today instead of beating down our lessers we show our strength and male virility to the opposite sex and other males by looking muscular, having a high paying job, driving big cars, doing supermodels, and yes, acting "macho".

It's not that society is messed up it's just the fact we are still as much of an animal as we were 10,000 years ago. Except that we now have a choice if we want to go along with it.
The problem isn't in your comment. It's actually in psychology. Psychology isn't really exact. Yes, it's definition is the study of the human brain and how it works in the level of behavior, but in all studies there are bias. It isn't testosterone that makes the man that way, not always. It's usually the culture. Woman can go for that macho crap and let their children be brought up to accept that. It's just like women in their case in the US culture. Back in the 70's, women had to have the look and accept a good slap on the a** by men when ever they wanted it. It was thought acceptable. Now it isn't and you get a law suit over it.

In truth, we are in the dark ages for our humanity. There are parents that give the different 'talk' to the boys and girls and raise them to be a certain way(possibility out of the fear of homosexuality or cultural dependencies). Some of us still think in hierarchy, defining who is poor and who is rich, better and worse. We still mutilate girls in Africa and boys in the US for cultural reason or thought healthy reasons. All in all, it's a ridiculous world we are in. But, think 200 years ahead. Hopefully we haven't blown ourselves up over the macho behavior. The blending of cultures will come to pass as the global race also acknowledges that we(our generation) were dumbasses in how we viewed and treated others and maybe we will have a better definition of what a man and woman are.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

MoonKit wrote:Its funny that a lot of us get mistaken for gay. Ive been told by a good friend of mine who is bisexual that he thought I was bi. Nope, just boys for me. But I guess its because I lack makeup and a purse and tend to carry myself more like a boy. Not "manly" but not "feminine" either so I guess people get confused. But its not that Im not acting female...Im just not acting like a "woman." :P
Same thing's happened to me, and mostly for really stupid reasons too. One time in one of my art classes in high school, another guy asked if I ever wanted to come to one of his weekend parties. I politely declined, to which he went on to describe in very graphic detail what would have happened to me if I'd taken him up on it. Apparently he forgot to ask me if I was gay because someone else had already confirmed to him that I was gay. And how did that someone else determine that I was gay? Because I was in an art class.
:P

Also, when I was much younger, back in the days when SNES was the best system on the market, I was accused of being gay by multiple individuals because whenever we played Street Fighter, I always played as Chun-Li. Here's the thing: I always played as Chun-Li because I'd been taught that it was wrong to hit a woman, a belief which I carried over even into video games, so the only way to play the game without having to hit a woman was to play as the woman.

Makes sense? Well apparently it also makes me gay!

It goes back onto what I said about gay-bashers always desperate to find a victim. I'm not gay, but they couldn't find anyone else to bash, so they all found some stupid reason to declare that I was gay.

It's self-loathing if you ask me. As Ron White said, we're all gay at some level or another. It may not be true that all men engaging in exaggerated displays of manliness are trying to tune out gay thoughts, but it sure is therapeutic to think of them that way.
:grinp:
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Avareis »

Terastas wrote:
MoonKit wrote:Its funny that a lot of us get mistaken for gay. Ive been told by a good friend of mine who is bisexual that he thought I was bi. Nope, just boys for me. But I guess its because I lack makeup and a purse and tend to carry myself more like a boy. Not "manly" but not "feminine" either so I guess people get confused. But its not that Im not acting female...Im just not acting like a "woman." :P
Same thing's happened to me, and mostly for really stupid reasons too. One time in one of my art classes in high school, another guy asked if I ever wanted to come to one of his weekend parties. I politely declined, to which he went on to describe in very graphic detail what would have happened to me if I'd taken him up on it. Apparently he forgot to ask me if I was gay because someone else had already confirmed to him that I was gay. And how did that someone else determine that I was gay? Because I was in an art class.

Also, when I was much younger, back in the days when SNES was the best system on the market, I was accused of being gay by multiple individuals because whenever we played Street Fighter, I always played as Chun-Li. Here's the thing: I always played as Chun-Li because I'd been taught that it was wrong to hit a woman, a belief which I carried over even into video games, so the only way to play the game without having to hit a woman was to play as the woman.

Makes sense? Well apparently it also makes me gay!

It goes back onto what I said about gay-bashers always desperate to find a victim. I'm not gay, but they couldn't find anyone else to bash, so they all found some stupid reason to declare that I was gay.

It's self-loathing if you ask me. As Ron White said, we're all gay at some level or another. It may not be true that all men engaging in exaggerated displays of manliness are trying to tune out gay thoughts, but it sure is therapeutic to think of them that way.
:grinp:
AHAHAHA! What are the odds?! I'm an artist and I'm not gay, yet people at work thought I was gay. My friends think sometimes I'm gay and my parent disowned me because they thought I was gay! Women who took me to their place after a night out on the town thought I was gay. One even thought I was gay and safe enough to uncover cloths to slip into something more comfortable. Why> Because I'm an artist as a profession and I use live models in a lot of my works. I don't lust after the human body, rather I see it's beauty in all it's flaws and perfections, in MALE AND FEMALE. So, that makes me gay to them.

I also played as Chun Li in Street Fighter. I like her because she literally kicks a**. I thought she was the best fighter in that game because she was the only one I could get 2 perfects with as I was fighting Bison and she was unstoppable when I played with my friends.

What else? I am a feminist. That's right. I'm a man and a feminist. I believe in womens rights, including the ones about fighting in the military. After all, if someone complains that they aren't getting their share they should get the responsibilities that come with it. Right? So, that makes me gay apparently, because I care about women's rights.

Let's see...What else makes me gay? Oh! I grow my hair out. That makes me gay.
I also like keeping clean. So, that makes me gay, because men are supposed to be gritty.
I like listening to soft music, jazz and old R&B. So, that makes me gay.
I find enjoyment in shopping for cloths and pairing up with my girl friends as they shop and we help select each other's wardrobe. So that makes me gay.
I don't howl and stare if I see a woman naked or if they have a awesome looking body. It's impolite to me if people stare at another. I'll look, but not stare. So, that makes me gay.
And yes, heaven forbid you should defend a gay. That makes you gay too.
And of all things if you have friends with gays or lesbians like me, that makes you gay!

So, it doesn't matter about one's sexual orientation. Because if you don't live up to standards, you're gay, meaning you're less than a man. Wow, I'm glad I came out of the closet. I'm a gay that has chosen and will only have a woman as his partner. Now you know.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Avareis wrote:I don't howl and stare if I see a woman naked or if they have a awesome looking body. It's impolite to me if people stare at another. I'll look, but not stare. So, that makes me gay.
That's one I was hesitant to bring up. I was declared gay by some umteen individuals because, when asked which Spice Girl I wanted to *ahem* the most, I declined to answer.

Like I said, homophobes will look for any excuse to declare someone gay in order to have a target upon which to release their homophobia. In that instance, I was declared gay, not for being soft or feminine in any way, but for not being enough of a male chauvinist pig for them.

It's essentially the same crap I've been putting up with all my life. The kids that bullied me around for being a "nerd" or a "loser" when I was in grade school probably tormented classmates for being "gay" at whatever high school they went to, and likewise the nimrods that called me by every synonym for "gay" known to man probably used to pick on other kids for being "nerds" or "losers" when they were little. It's all self-loathing: Distracting away from one's own shortcomings and insecurities by finding someone else to feel superior to.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Every teenage boy gets called gay or a "f**" at some point in their lives. Ignore it. Who cares what these ignorant douchebags think.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Ignorant douchebags? More like "uncultured dumbasses with closeted insecurity"...
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Yes kitetsu, that too :}
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Humans are a right mess, they are. They are still running on Ice-age progamming (Fertility is All! More Males = More warriors to take our neighbor's stuff; including their females).

For Males, Death is the ending. Females are magical; they make new life out of their own bodies, thus Male gains immortality by begetting offspring on his females. How can he be sure that this offspring is his own? By controlling and restricting access to 'his' females.

A male that acts as a female is dangerous. He pretends to be able to create life, yet cannot. Thus the "non-masculine" male is ostracized.
He fails on two points: he is not Masculine, and he fails to reproduce as a Female does.

The Human mind (as such) still sees this, even into the twenty-first century. The major Yahvh-tree religions amplify this concept, making it into something God was supposed to have said. The very idea of non-reproductive activity weakens the tribe. Reproduction is for offspring, future warriors for the tribe, and that's it. No recreational sex.

Males fear other males and their ability to steal female property.

Being male is an act of genetics. Being masculine (not macho or any of the other crap) is an art learned to attract females, just like the Deer. We are what we are. To us, Females are first and foremost a chance to beat death. So we treat them as property, and we keep them from getting too strong.

What a mess we are. Maybe someday we males will grow up, and learn to accept difference...like our females have had to do all along, just to keep the race alive.
At least they are free people now. Maybe we can do the same.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

Women are going to be the dominant high ruling group in the next generation and we males are the servants and their property. Ooo! I can't wait for that to happen. The world is turned around, the opposite. Men get payed list than women do! Like the Amazons who dislike males for their behavior. :wink:
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

The boogyman boogies at the Discotheque

Post by Scott Gardener »

Most homophobic people probably have had very little dealings with actual homosexuals. Sure, by law of averages, they've probably unknowingly interracted with a lot of gay people. But, they see gays as if homosexuals were terrorists or Crab People in human disguise. Homophobes are afraid of some inhuman artificial boogyman. They're afraid of something imaginary but absolutely frightening.

I am glad that some of you find amusement in my way of putting things. Perhaps I am taking an intellectual approach as a way of compensating for insecurities surrounding my actually being quite stupid.

:roflmao:

I do myself find amusement in seeing the same people professing how superior humans are, how different we supposedly are from other animals, in turn jump directly into gender insecurity issues, since they are based heavily on biological drives. If humans are indeed so distinct from other animals, then why are there so many posters and billboards with scantly clad women all over the place? I have no problems with my being an animal. (perhaps as a therian, I have issues about which one, but that's another topic) Even so, I think I can say, perhaps arrogantly but accurately none-the-less, that I, perfectly comfortable with my animalism, am better at mating right than a lot of other humans who insist they're not an animal. Maybe I just love my wife too much, but last I heard, that was in human philosophies the point of mating, not just reproduction.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living

Post by Lukas »

IndianaJones wrote:Women are going to be the dominant high ruling group in the next generation and we males are the servants and their property. Ooo! I can't wait for that to happen. The world is turned around, the opposite. Men get payed list than women do! Like the Amazons who dislike males for their behavior. :wink:
sorry can't accept that, either its equal for all genders or fight to the death
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Yeah, dude... Both men AND women should share the can of whoopass equally.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

RedEye wrote:What a mess we are. Maybe someday we males will grow up, and learn to accept difference...like our females have had to do all along, just to keep the race alive.
Unfortunately, this serves as proof that Darwin was wrong. In this instance, it is the males that are consciously evolved which are less likely to reproduce and pass on their genetics to the next generation. :P
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Am i the only one who thinks we should just go with the natural flow of things?

So males run the world..so what. It's never been proven that females can do better ( necessarily )

And you gals may have "the gift of life" but you can't do it without our male buby butter.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

MattSullivan wrote: And you gals may have "the gift of life" but you can't do it without our male baby batter.
Well that just made me throw up a little.
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Avareis »

Actually, the meek always inherit the world. Thinking about minorities.
In the US, the Minorities get the most attention and the most stuff out of anyone. Blacks are considered minorities. Jew aren't any longer. Hispanics and Latinos are considered minorities despite their rise in the population. Women are considered minorities. And, Asians are not considered minorities.

Odd...Women make up half of the population! That doesn't make sense. And, a lot of Asians come from 2nd or 3rd world countries like Thailand or Cambodia and they don't get anything.

Oh wait! I forgot. The definition of a minority is someone who complains enough. Damn it! I have to start spreading the word! I knew I should have complained more! Damn it!

It isn't natural for a man to be superior than women. It's a stupid tradition that is meaningless. To say that there is no proof that women can't do any better in running the world is just as bad as saying men are superior. I can understand that this might be a reaction towards feminazis, but understand that not all feminists hold a grudge against men and not all of them are lesbians.
The truth is the first person in power can be just as good or bad as the second to be in power. That's the natural flow of things. IT'S NOT CONDITIONAL TO THE SEXES.

As for women in the future. Let's face it. Women are being raised to taking less crap. They're not becoming more bossy. They're not becoming super powered. However, there will be ego that is alway born with responsibility of standing up for one's self. I just hope that we start realizing them men's rights have been taken in the past. A man is said to be the father and really isn't and is made to pay for the child that isn't theirs. This was before blood testing was done and I remember on the news that a man still has to pay even though he has proven conclusively by blood testing that he isn't the father. Or how about genital mutilation. Women in this country are protected, but men aren't. We still practice routine circumcision when it isn't necessary and it has been shown that it doesn't affect the American pop. with the medical claims well known, especially AIDs. Apparently, the US is 2-4x higher AIDS rate than Europe who don't call of it in their culture.
So, culture is biased based on what is acceptable in that place.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Reducing your dysfunctionality emissions

Post by Scott Gardener »

Cathey pointed out to me an article showing an alarming trend in "prolonged adulescence" in men--that a lot of young men delay getting their life in order beyond dorm room life, eschewing career advancement or family relationships in favor of going clubbing, playing with expensive toys, and so forth. I have no issues with materialism myself; I started off the year marathoning Ratchet and Clank on my PlayStation 3 and sorting through my Lego collection, and I'm 34. But, there's a key difference. The problem with "not having a life" arises when it involves living parasitically off of parents, or when one's well-conditioned obliviousness towards responsible mating practices causes one to screw up the lives of women through disrupted relationships, unwanted or unsupported pregnancies, and the like.

By comparison, there is a growing trend among women towards increasing self-sufficiency. Women in the same age range are increasingly taking up advancing careers and goal-oriented education with a planned end-point (as opposed to the perpetually changing majors in college that never reach a graduation point).

I don't personally feel everyone has to get married or have kids, nor should everyone be expected to want to own a house. But, I do believe everyone should strive for self-sufficiency. It may not be practical to expect a zero-codependency-footprint for someone with, say, Lou Gehrig's Disease and near total body paralysis, but I do believe each person should do one's part not to make others do your part for you as well as theirs. Traditionally, this has been one of the better concepts to come out of the "manhood" image. Today, some of the biggest men are women.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Draca
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Draca »

MattSullivan wrote:Am i the only one who thinks we should just go with the natural flow of things?

So males run the world..so what. It's never been proven that females can do better ( necessarily )

And you gals may have "the gift of life" but you can't do it without our male baby batter.
From Psychology Today: "People tend to treat this as an either-or situation: Either we're completely driven by pheromones, like moths, or we're completely in charge of our own destiny," University of Chicago psychologist McClintock says. "But it's not a wild idea that both factors are involved."

I believe the last idea.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MoonKit »

MattSullivan wrote:Am i the only one who thinks we should just go with the natural flow of things?

And you gals may have "the gift of life" but you can't do it without our male baby batter.
That came off as pretty nasty. I dont know if you meant it to or not.

But yes...women shouldnt get all the credit for baby making. It takes both male and female.