The place for anything at all...
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

This is a outrage!

Post by Lukas »

the govt. in Iraq want to change the national flag, i find that outragious, there previous flag was beautiful
this new flag is disgusting and stupid looking
Image {note top version is edited version)
i can not tolerate this from now on i will have a Iraqi flag displayed on my signature until they reinstate the old Iraq flag

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... l%26sa%3DN
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Anónimo Juan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anónimo Juan »

and where's the outrageous part?
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lukas »

its basically a insult to iraqi nationally pride because the current govt. is only changing because the kurds complained it was used in during there attack by Saddam, but Saddam targeted s*** and other problems, I find the iraqi flag a good flag and most Iraqis don't want there flag changed
so i feel i should feel the same, its just the govt trying to hide away the iraq it used to be
by the way if you want to see what prompted this read my little last of the Iraqis blog list and read the one with the Iraqi flag hat
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Caught between Iraq and a hard place

Post by Scott Gardener »

They redesigned it because the three stars reference the Baath Party, Saddam's regime. It's kind of the equivalent of the Germans removing the Nazi swastika from their flag; can you blame them?
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Caught between Iraq and a hard place

Post by Lukas »

Scott Gardener wrote:They redesigned it because the three stars reference the Baath Party, Saddam's regime. It's kind of the equivalent of the Germans removing the Nazi swastika from their flag; can you blame them?
yes but to quote a Iraqi
everything beautiful in it was destroyed, everything was stolen, they even messed with the most important thing that identifies it, they even messed with the great and beautiful Iraqi flag, I wonder when will they change it's name claiming that it's a Baathiests name or Saddamists name!!!!
I wonder when will they have enough of messing around and destroying our country, I wonder when will those idiots who calls them selves politicians working for a new Iraq stop messing up Iraq!
They changed the flag, the great Iraqi flag the rolled the dead bodies of the brave soldier whether Shiite, Sunni or Kurds....it's the flag the covered the coffins of millions of Iraqis it's the flag that fluttered for many years in the Iraqi sky.
It's the last thing remaining for us as an independent nation, it's the thing that remembers us of how we used to live in peace, it's the thing that remembers us of how all Iraqis used to be united, and most important of all it's one of the few things that represents the union of the Shiites and Sunnis in Iraq and this shouldn't be, as I believe they think.
They say that it's Saddam's flag! They said that it was made by Saddam and AlBaath and for that it must be changed! First of all this flag is not for Saddam or AlMaliki or any one it's for Iraq and Iraqis only, no one owns this flag but Iraq,
also if the 3 stars where meant in baath party terms, then simple changing the meaning of the stars, Saddam did it when the 3 stars at first meant unity with Syria and Egypt, so the new Iraq govt should change the meaning of the stars themselves, most Iraqis like the current design and would rather prefer this over the new design
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

They should just get an american flag. Then they could give us their oil in exchange for our constant and irrifusable protection. We'd educate them and make them civilized by showing them the american spirit of sweatshop labor and give them good old catholic cristianity intead of that barberous Islam. We'll be worshiped as liberators and they'll finally be free! It's a win win situation!

(in case you missed it, I'm being sarcastic :roll: )

But seriously, all a flag is is symbolic. The symbols, when clearly defined, instill whatever values they're supposed to uphold. It could be anything so long as the symbol is good. If they changed our flag, I wouldn't really mind, so long as all the new shapes were symbolic of the values I felt the country should uphold. I don't know enough about the intricacies of the Iranian flag to be able to make a judgement call on this particular case, but that's my bit on flags in general.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

Not knowing what any of the stuff on the flag stands for, just visually, I do like the new one better. The stars seemed to be interrupting it.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Stupid idea.

We really don't need to piss them off any more than we already do. If the Iraqi's want a new flag, they'll get one on their own.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I personally like the old flag better than the new in terms of looks, and what it represents. And we shouldn't change it unless they want to.

But honestly I don't see anything wrong with a changing the flag in general. When you want to help a country move forward, sometimes you have to change even the flag to do so, I mean Iraq is a backwards country, you pretty much have to change almost everything about it. Another reason why they don't like it is because they don't like the reason it was changed. Let me show you examples of other countries changing their flag.

Here are the following countries who changed their flags over time and some after specific circumstances.
France.
Britain
America
Japan
Russia
Germany

If they don't want it to be changed then that should be up to them, but it might help the country move forward and be united since they don't have to look at the flag and remember all the bad things that happened in the past. I think they change of the new flag is too soon, and they should have at least left one big green star to some what represent the united people or something like that.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

The iraqi flag actually used to have the three colors and the three stars (no writing between the stars), to represent unity. The writing was originally added by Hussein, so if they wanted to revert the flag to expunge any of his crap, then they should return it to three stars on a white field. That is how the flag flew (I'm given to understand) when they won independence from Great Britain.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Anónimo Juan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anónimo Juan »

Shadow Wulf wrote:
Here are the following countries who changed their flags over time and some after specific circumstances.
France.
Britain
America
Japan
Russia
Germany
I don't understand why now U.S. is America, it sounds like too centralism if you don't live there. :(
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Post by Avareis »

OMFLJCSOB! That is an ugly flag! Who the hell designed that thing?! It's hidious! Lime green on white under red and black? That's so stupid.....I'd be so embarrassed if I lived in there.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Anónimo Juan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anónimo Juan »

For example, do you think someone who lives in Federative Republic of Brazil (which is in South America) says that they live in "The Federal Republic" or that they live in "Brazil"? I'm pretty sure it's the latter. Also, do you think they think of themselves primarily as an "American" or a "Brazilian"? Once again, probably the latter. If everyone else can shorten the names of their countries, then Americans can too, and everyone else is just gonna have to deal with it. Sorry
That's a different case, where a word was used to name the country, as Mexico (which means moon's navel), it's official name is United Mexican States ( both names are considered official). It's like calling the European Union "Europe" , even tough it's not formed by all of the European's nations.

Anyways, we are getting off topic and this'll never get to nothing :P my last post was only an opinion, relax
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Avareis wrote:OMFLJCSOB! That is an ugly flag! Who the hell designed that thing?! It's hidious! Lime green on white under red and black? That's so stupid.....I'd be so embarrassed if I lived in there.
At least it's more creative than some flags.

France: Three color bands. Wee!

Germany: Three different color bands going a different direction, wee!

Russia The same three colors france uses, but horizontally and in a different order!

So on and so forth....

:grinp:
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Aki wrote:
Avareis wrote:OMFLJCSOB! That is an ugly flag! Who the hell designed that thing?! It's hidious! Lime green on white under red and black? That's so stupid.....I'd be so embarrassed if I lived in there.

Russia The same three colors france uses, but horizontally and in a different order!

So on and so forth....

You right about that, some countries have no creativity with their flag. :lol:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

The three stars could be re-branded to mean the Sunni, Shiite, and Kurd peoples living together. The Saddam-era writing could be replaced with new text, something more universally uplifting, within their cultural context.

Then again, is it really our place to gripe about their flag and what they do or don't do with it? We've kind of done enough already--at least those of us here in the U.S., and to a lesser extent, the UK. Well, not us so much as our elected officials--if you count Bush's first term as being elected.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lukas »

Scott Gardener wrote:The three stars could be re-branded to mean the Sunni, Shiite, and Kurd peoples living together. The Saddam-era writing could be replaced with new text, something more universally uplifting, within their cultural context.

Then again, is it really our place to gripe about their flag and what they do or don't do with it? We've kind of done enough already--at least those of us here in the U.S., and to a lesser extent, the UK. Well, not us so much as our elected officials--if you count Bush's first term as being elected.
actually they suggested something like that, which i would have been fine with, but they threw it out
here was that purposed flag
Another design was also proposed. This design was similar to the current flag but the script was changed to yellow to represent the Kurdish people in northern Iraq. The meaning of the three stars would be changed to symbolize peace, tolerance and justice.[6]
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

The problem with yellow writing on a white background is it's next to unreadable.

Considering what the Iraq war was all about, this would be a better replacement:

RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Out of curiosity, just what do those signs between the stars say? I can't read Arabic. They make no sense to me.

So, Lukas; what do they mean? :?
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lukas »

RedEye wrote:Out of curiosity, just what do those signs between the stars say? I can't read Arabic. They make no sense to me.

So, Lukas; what do they mean? :?
they mean God is Great (basically Allah and all that)
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

Aki wrote:

So on and so forth....

The wees! were priceless. :lol:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Flags were originally used as rally-points for soldiers in battle. Our game of "Capture the flag" is one of the hand-downs of that philosophy.
To be visible, the flag had to be bright and simple in its pattern.
Frequently, the location of the Flag was also the location of the King or the general in a given fight. :o

The United States was the first country that complicated their flag away from the rule of simple: easy to recognize. The English Grand Union flag that we see today is a combination of the English "St. George Cross" and the Scottish "St. Andrew Cross". :roll:

Even so, they remain highly visible, a rally-point for their troops.

Previous to the adoption of the Tri-Color flag, France had a White flag. They surrendered a lot, I guess. :P

Matt missed one of the classics in Flag goofs, though; Italy and Ireland had for quite some years the same colors and position of those colors on their flags. Good thing they never had a war. :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lukas »

RedEye wrote:Flags were originally used as rally-points for soldiers in battle. Our game of "Capture the flag" is one of the hand-downs of that philosophy.
To be visible, the flag had to be bright and simple in its pattern.
Frequently, the location of the Flag was also the location of the King or the general in a given fight. :o

The United States was the first country that complicated their flag away from the rule of simple: easy to recognize. The English Grand Union flag that we see today is a combination of the English "St. George Cross" and the Scottish "St. Andrew Cross". :roll:

Even so, they remain highly visible, a rally-point for their troops.

Previous to the adoption of the Tri-Color flag, France had a White flag. They surrendered a lot, I guess. :P

Matt missed one of the classics in Flag goofs, though; Italy and Ireland had for quite some years the same colors and position of those colors on their flags. Good thing they never had a war. :lol:
indeed, but remember, usually Ireland and Italy have been thinking in similar terms, which is detest Britian :P