What Tigers-At What Price

The place for anything at all...
Riddle
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: A fox is a wolf who sends flowers

What Tigers-At What Price

Post by Riddle »

I don't know if any of you have seen this but it made an emotinal impact on me so I thought I'd share.
It does have music so make sure your volumn is turned up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VnvjGInpzs
Future marine biologist and Orca researcher.
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Youtube is blocked where I'm at - what's the synopsis?
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Riddle
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: A fox is a wolf who sends flowers

Post by Riddle »

There is actually so much to explain so try this.
If it doesn't work on your computer then I'll explain.

http://current.com/items/76466042_white ... vs_fiction
Future marine biologist and Orca researcher.
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

the fact that they kill them off for being ugly is the part that bugs me, that and they are exploiting a mutation in a sense.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Didn't somebody else post something similar on here? I think Z did so. God I miss her.
XIV
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

That one doesn't work either...
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Its about how white tigers dont actually exist as a species and are really a deformity from inbreeding. And most of the cubs born dont survive, and the ones that do are too "ugly" to show so they're killed too. You probably get like one show white tiger for every ten. Its actually very sad because most people dont know.

I never understood what was wrong with the plain old orange ones. Come on, theres a ton of white animals but how many are orange? 8)
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

That sounds very familiar... Not that long back I read an article on the subject. I think it was Z who pointed me to it. (Realises that Z's been away for a few months now. Realises that it was longer back than he thought. Feels oooooooold.)

Considering how tigers of any colour are quite seriously endangered now... it could be best to out-breed the remaining white tigers with orange tigers and hope that there are enough of the white tiger genes about that some of the generation following the next are white tigers. I'd rather one in ten tigers born were white, and the other nine were healthy orange ones, than one in ten tigers born were white, and the other nine deformed or non-viable.

disclaimer: I don't remember whether the white tiger gene is recessive or if it's something like albino-ism, so my maths may be way wrong
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Midnight wrote:That sounds very familiar... Not that long back I read an article on the subject. I think it was Z who pointed me to it. (Realises that Z's been away for a few months now. Realises that it was longer back than he thought. Feels oooooooold.)

Considering how tigers of any colour are quite seriously endangered now... it could be best to out-breed the remaining white tigers with orange tigers and hope that there are enough of the white tiger genes about that some of the generation following the next are white tigers. I'd rather one in ten tigers born were white, and the other nine were healthy orange ones, than one in ten tigers born were white, and the other nine deformed or non-viable.

disclaimer: I don't remember whether the white tiger gene is recessive or if it's something like albino-ism, so my maths may be way wrong
No, I think thats how that works. You can get one white tiger out of quite a few if you mate it with an orange.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

It must be pointed out that it is NOT albinoism, since you wouldn't get the stripes and colored eyes in that case.
Spiritbw
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Spiritbw »

Yeah, the way it sounds it's a bit like a person being blonde or a redhead. It's there as a colouring option but it's recessive unless the child manages tog et both genes. It however sounds like for Ttgers there are alot of other nasty traits tied to the colouring.