Taking acting classes, need encouragement

The place for anything at all...
Riddle
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: A fox is a wolf who sends flowers

Taking acting classes, need encouragement

Post by Riddle »

Ok, here's whats going on. I am very interested in acting, I mean very interested.
I don't know if I have the "look" for it but, I don't know that I don't have the natural talent for it either.
Well, at least I don't think I do. The last time I was in a play was in 2nd grade so, I'm not sure. Anyway. I have found a really, really, really, good acting school where I live and
want to take class. But, as the title of this post implies, I need encouragement. I want to take these classes but I'm so afraid too. I'm afraid that I'm going to make a fool of myself, afraid that I don't have that aquired look, I'm also afraid that the instructors are going to take one look at me and think "shes not gong to be very successful".
Does anyone have any advice on how I can get out of my so called "shell" and shrug this worry off?
AB-if you read this-do you have any advice?

*sigh*
sorry for any spelling and grammar mistakes.
Last edited by Riddle on Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Future marine biologist and Orca researcher.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

There is no particular "look" that is necessary to be a successful actor/actress. There generally is a particular look that is required for certain kinds of roles, but you can still be a great actress and fill other roles that are just as important. As examples, I give you Paul Giamatti and Renee Zellwegger. In my opinion, those two people are butt ugly. But yet, they both have very successful acting careers. So, you don't have to have a certain look just to be successful at acting.

As far as whether or not you'll make a fool of yourself--I'll be honest--you probably will, at some point. Everyone does. Even your very talented acting instructors were new to acting once, and probably did something foolish. Everyone makes mistakes, especially when they are new at something. The trick is not to let it get to you--if you do something dumb, don't go huddle shamefully in a corner. Brush it off. Don't let it get to you. It's OKAY to mess up sometimes...in fact, messing up is how we learn. You learn MUCH MORE from failure than from success. If you do something wrong, don't fret over what you did wrong--instead use it as a learning opportunity, because you'll know what NOT to do next time. Even if you really aren't good at something at first, just go with it. Seriously.

It all comes down to confidence. Knowing that, even if you didn't get it right this time (or the last 12 times), that you WILL get it right soon...and knowing that, even when you're doing it wrong, it's still okay. Step out of your comfort zone and HAVE FUN. Acting is supposed to be enjoyable. Even if you are bad at acting initially, you can still enjoy yourself.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

"Don't worry about making a fool out of yourself, because you will, eventually, sometime or other. That's life. Can you tell a story from the inside? Can you put you on hold, and become whatever character the script or the story requires? Acting is make-believe made real. It is a skill-set you learn, like dancing or cooking or writing. You will make misakes, go up on your lines, and do everything else you dread; and don't worry: the audience will never know! That's the key: the audience will never know, and a lot of acting is covering your fluffs and oopses."
I don't act, but my housemate does and that's her advice.
Little hint: Indiana Jones and the lost Ark: the scene where the stunt actor does all the sword work and Indy just takes out his revolver and shoots him? Harrison Ford had a cold and didn't want to do the scripted fight scene, so he tried shooting the bad guy instead. It was one of the movie's best scenes, and it was all because an actor didn't want to do a fight scene and the audience didn't know it.
Remember, the audience doesn't know, and won't if you don't tell them.

Good luck and break a leg! :D
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mood: RAR!

Post by *nagowteena* »

well, it's hard. really hard.

I know how you feel, hehe, I've made a HUGE fool of myself at acting class, and I most likely will this summer as well. :lol:

you will mess up, that's just fact. but, learn from your mistakes! your going to be scared, your going to feel pointed out. but remember one thing, push yourself.

each time I go on stage, I have to push myself, and with the way your feeling you'll have to do the same as well.

eventually you''l get relaxed, with some it takes months, and with others it takes years.

but if you don't push yourself, you might regret it. who knows, you might have missed out on a good opportunity.

so, remember, you'll be scared for a wile, but with time it will fade.

PS...try to think of a wall in between you, and the audience, it really helps.
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Go for it! Have fun, if you enjoy acting, then try it. ^^
If you try it then decide it's not for you, then do something else. But don't let anyone else bully you into giving up.
Some of the biggest risks lead to some of the most rewarding experinces.
If you don't try it, you'll regret it.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Do one thing. Train hard. WORK harder. NEVER develop an attitude, and just know that becoming an actor is probab;ly the HARDEST thing in the world.
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Indeed Matt; right next to being a musician. :P
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

One thing I always say is: "If you were already good at something, you wouldn't be needing to take classes." So, you shouldn't let your lack of current ability to impede you from taking the classes.

Also, something my dance teacher said (paraphrased):

"The best students I trained were not the ones that were really talented, for those invariable got bored with it because it was too easy. Then the guys who weren't really very good but who really pushed themselves to improve left them in the dust"
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

You gotta go for it or you may regret it one day. You cant be afraid to fail. :)
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
geekboy1500
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lover of Life

Post by geekboy1500 »

"looks" do not make or break a role, what is more important is how you move across the stage, the way your voice carries, your body language. All of these things are much more important than any one "look". Makeup can disguise how you look, but it cannot cover up acting imperfections.
The Think Geek Annoy-o-Tron, insanity in convenient attractive box.