He trying

The place for anything at all...
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

The "Furry" and "Therian" arguement is always a toughy on wereboards, as even the slightest bit of critizism is met with hostility, and that is for the most part the truth. I've never been a fan of either, as the people I've met (discounting internet meetings, as I regard only face to face physical meetings as a true sampling of a person's character -- for the most part) were people with serious social issues, of whom tried to force and justify their lack of tack, social well-being, and completely absurd behavior, as perfectly normal, and that society is wrong to argue different. Then again, it is society to blame, partially at least, for such behavior, as we live in world where every body has this feeling of needing to be excepted no matter how big an a** they are. It's okay to be overweight, dispite the overwhelming evidence that such a life style is not only bad for you health wise, it pretty much destroys self-image, and self esteeme, but all be darned, don't let anyone tell you different. Now of course, I am not saying that it is wrong to be overweight, to be a furry, a therian, and so on and so forth, in the United States you have the right to live in just about every life style you choose, that is what is great about living here, but just don't get all whiny because somebody doesn't see things your way.

Firstly stop using the word HATE. Hate is a very strong word, and I have yet to see one Furry who has been murdered for being a furry. People have every much a bit of right to dislike the lifestyle, as you theirs. There are a lot of people I think are stupid, and I dislike what they do, but that doesn't mean I hate them. It simply means I think they are stupid, such as those Kansas "Christians" who protest funerals and such.

If you can't stomach any sort of critizism of what you believe, it pshycologically reveals insecurity in your own foundation.

As a Christian, a real one that is, I get critizied all the time, but it doesn't bother me at all. No matter how nice I am, there are people who despise any fragment of a concept that there could be a God, and thus they tell me so. :P I personally believe in the Golden Rule, that you should treak people as you would like to be treated, so it doesn't matter how awful they can be to me, I will always (try) :P to respond in kindness. I love my life, and I am going to live it my way, regardless of what other people think, and I think that is best for everyone. Don't worry what other people say, because they are going to have their own opinions, just as you have about them.
crumpetfox
Custom Title: Fox in Wolf's Clothing

Post by crumpetfox »

Odin's remarkable distaste for adults having harmless fun by dressing up in animal costumes reminded me of a saying I once heard: "Those who have abandoned their dreams will discourage yours."

It's not hard to imagine them being jealous of us. Furries have a vibrant, creative, and fun fandom. To answer the OP's query about the psychological reasons people hate furries, the answer is simple: Most people who hate furries are usually just bored teens who don't know any better, and need to tear other people down in order to build themselves up.

I think if furry-haters like Odin spent a little less time bashing furries and a little more time being creative and having fun, they wouldn't have anything to complain about.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Don't forget, words like "creativity," "dreams," "artistic," "fantasy" etc. are a red flag that means "gay" for people like that. Anything not unabashedly masculine is a major no-no. I.e. if you can't use the word "badass" to describe it, they won't like it. Furries just so happen to lump in with everything else that they pretend to hate.

In high school we "nerds" called them "jocks." In response to alphanubilus, these kinds of people don't criticize, they bully. And they can definitely be dangerous; I guarantee at the high school I went to, if they found out someone was a furry, that kid would have gotten a beating within an inch of his life, if not flat out murdered. Reasonable, even harsh, criticism is just fine, and I would hope no one gets upset by it... but there's a different kind of behavior that should never be condoned.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

I didn't say anything nasty. Don't put words in my mouth. I only asked not to be lectured. I have the right to do that.
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

crumpetfox wrote:Odin's remarkable distaste for adults having harmless fun by dressing up in animal costumes reminded me of a saying I once heard: "Those who have abandoned their dreams will discourage yours."

It's not hard to imagine them being jealous of us. Furries have a vibrant, creative, and fun fandom. To answer the OP's query about the psychological reasons people hate furries, the answer is simple: Most people who hate furries are usually just bored teens who don't know any better, and need to tear other people down in order to build themselves up.

I think if furry-haters like Odin spent a little less time bashing furries and a little more time being creative and having fun, they wouldn't have anything to complain about.
I doubt that jealousy or lack of creativity has ANYTHING do with it, and if you think so, you are sadly mistaken. Again, people have a right to not like your life style, just as you don't like their's. You might think that you are being better than they are, but in reality these comments I'm seeing are a bit self exhorbant at best. I know many creative people, who have all sorts of fun, but still find much of the furry fandom a bit... different...

Why do many people dislike furry fandom? A lot of it goes back to people who have abused the fandom to fullfill crazed fantasies of some sort. I am huge into cool looking werewolf art, or tiger, lion, and so on and so forth, but it does get annoying that I can google a few cool images, and the next thing I see is some sort of creepy exotic sex scene, or find some sex crazed beastiality story. It is just...ew... For those who call themselves furries to overcome the image, it is up to them to work at it, but blaming people for just not be accepting is just plain dumb.

Fandom is fun and it should be. Obsessive fandom, whether sports, Star Wars, and Movie Star worship, is life consuming and shows that the individuals have very little self control over themselves. I knew this Star Wars buff that got seriously annoyed at me because I didn't know all the technical specifications of the Death Star. This same guy couldn't understand why he got international calling charges for calling Canada, as Canada was the 51st State in the USA... Amazing... He knew all this Star Wars stuff, but failed to understand that Canada is a COUNTRY! Sports fans are just as bad though. They can quote states from every game this season, but are completely ignorant about the subjects their kids are taking in school.

As a screenwriter, I know that fandom has great benefits, as (for me) it generates sales, but when fandom, of any time is taken to the extreme it becomes dangerous...
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

i agree with almost everything you have been saying alphaanunilus, but remember, a therian is not a fandom, it is something your born with, you can't just decide on a thought that your a therian, you discover your a therian, just a note.

other then that, i totally agree with all your other parts of your posts
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

Lukas wrote:i agree with almost everything you have been saying alphaanunilus, but remember, a therian is not a fandom, it is something your born with, you can't just decide on a thought that your a therian, you discover your a therian, just a note.

other then that, i totally agree with all your other parts of your posts
And I wasn't putting Therianthropy and Furry fandom in the same boat, for therianthropy is a much more "spiritual" matter. In my original post I was just stating that I am not a huge fan of either, no offense to anyone on the board of course, but simply that is my feelings.
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living

Post by Lukas »

no offense taken, just making sure it wasn't bunched together,
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Meh, it's stupid for anyone to lash out unprovoked at anyone for any reason. That happens a lot online because the internet is populated mostly by stupid people. And it happens on both sides of the fence. My thought- people are stupid everywhere, so why even bother?
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

MattSullivan wrote:I didn't say anything nasty. Don't put words in my mouth. I only asked not to be lectured. I have the right to do that.
Then I think we had a misunderstanding, I didn't mean to lecture you. I just thought you were responding to me because the way you worded it made it seem that way.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

At least this constructive argument is better then the furry fandom argument on that stupid Teen Forums.

Remember guys, keep your nose clean. But, still not this again....didn't we been through this before?
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mood: RAR!

Post by *nagowteena* »

IndianaJones wrote:At least this constructive argument is better then the furry fandom argument on that stupid Teen Forums.

Remember guys, keep your nose clean. But, still not this again....didn't we been through this before?
yes indeed, I think this thread is going quite smoothly, I'm glad it's nothing like the one on that teen forum.
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

*nagowteena* wrote:
IndianaJones wrote:At least this constructive argument is better then the furry fandom argument on that stupid Teen Forums.

yes indeed, I think this thread is going quite smoothly, I'm glad it's nothing like the one on that teen forum.
I think the largest reason that this thread hasn't devolved... at least not yet... is because there are adults here. :P In many cases teens let angst and hormones speak before their brains, and we all know that is true, because we were all there once. :P
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I'd say "nerds" than "adults". Most of us here may be over 20, but the only one who's trying hardest at being mature is RedEye.

Plus, Teen Forums is exactly that -- a place where the intended demographic are "ordinary" yobbish teens from high schools who take offense at the slightest weird sentence and laughs at anything that's (supposedly) not about third-rate teen gossip. It's hard enough to talk about furries in front of werefans, and talking about furries in front of THEM is the same as "Hi, i'm gay, and i know this is a pub full of skinheads. I'd like to die right now.".
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

kitetsu wrote:I'd say "nerds" than "adults". Most of us here may be over 20, but the only one who's trying hardest at being mature is RedEye.

Plus, Teen Forums is exactly that -- a place where the intended demographic are "ordinary" yobbish teens from high schools who take offense at the slightest weird sentence and laughs at anything that's (supposedly) not about third-rate teen gossip. It's hard enough to talk about furries in front of werefans, and talking about furries in front of THEM is the same as "Hi, i'm gay, and i know this is a pub full of skinheads. I'd like to die right now.".
So you are saying that anyone who openly states they dislike furry fandom is not acting like an adult? Again this jumps back to the same old arguement that summeries this whole thread, that there is something wrong with people who openly dislike, or distrust furry fandom. Is there something wrong with them? Are they less talented, less creative, or less human because they have an opinion about a lifestyle that they themselves do not like? Absolutely not. Is there anything wrong with being a furry? No... and that is not the arguement, but I will say if all furries behave like the people I have physically met, then I can certainly understand why many groups dislike them. You see I have nothing against the actual fandom, it is the people behind the masks (again the ones I've met) that seriously got on my nerves...

First of all werewolf fans are from from skin heads, and people posting their negative feelings about furries is far from death threats, and physical harm. As I said before, I really get annoyed at anti-furry people being equated to gay-bashers, hate mongerers, because they carry an opinion.

My point is this, if you are having fun and enjoying your life, in the most honest way, what is the deal with trying to justify yourselves to those who might disagree... If somebody writes a flaming post or says something stupid, the best thing to do is walk away or to not even write back, as you are just walking into their trap.
crumpetfox
Custom Title: Fox in Wolf's Clothing

Post by crumpetfox »

alphanubilus wrote:I doubt that jealousy or lack of creativity has ANYTHING do with it, and if you think so, you are sadly mistaken.
No, I think I've done enough research into anti-furries and what motivates them to know I'm on the right track. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but the fact remains that the sole reason they tear other people down is to build themselves up. The good news is most of them will eventually grow out of it.
alphanubilus wrote:For those who call themselves furries to overcome the image, it is up to them to work at it, but blaming people for just not be accepting is just plain dumb.

Nah, blaming people whose only crime is liking anthropomorphic animals is what's dumb. I think people should stop trying to rationalize and make excuses for irrational anti-furry hatred and recognize it for what it is.
alphanubilus wrote:As a screenwriter, I know that fandom has great benefits, as (for me) it generates sales, but when fandom, of any time is taken to the extreme it becomes dangerous...
Yes, and I think we ought to dispense with the chestnut of taking the few overly-obsessive fans as being representative of the majority. It's easy to come up with reasons to blame the fandom if that's all you look for and exclude everything else, but it's also a logical fallacy and makes a flimsy argument.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Unlike the "goth" culture, furry fandom is unique in that it's detractors are almost entirely from the internet. Aside from the bully example I mentioned above, if it wasn't for the (WARNING: NOT SAFE FOR WORK, 18+ content) idiots on the internet, furry hate probably wouldn't exist, at least not in any kind of widespread form. Most people I know don't even realize furry fandom exists until it's revealed and explained to them (either that or they only have some vague notion about it.) I can even recall seeing people wearing tails at gaming locations and thinking it had something to do with Anime; I saw fursuiters once and thought it was just a costume party. I had no clue. That's what makes the whole furry "war" so absurd: if you haven't been on the internet much, you probably won't care at all.
WereWolfBoy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Making the humans pay the wrong they have caused the pack
Additional Details: Damn the night
paws covered in blood, running
Running through the forest
Naked ,free of clothing howling
Animal instinct calls from
within.
Mood: Meh...

Post by WereWolfBoy »

WereDragon25 wrote:
RedEye wrote:Then there's the fear factor: a Furry is an intelligent non-human, and that frightens a lot of people. It's like the "Martians" all over again. They don't belong to the human tribe, and that gets some folks' goat, for some reason.
Then, too; "there is nothing as fragile and delicate as the ego of a human adolescent, especially the males. They are busy posturing and demonstrating for the available females, and will viciously attack anything that they see as a threat to their position in the herd. The most frequently observed activities are the verbal belittling of anyone seen as a rival; followed by physical anger displays and occasional violence.
Most of the observed females seem more mature mentally than the males; and practice avoidance behaviour against the most troublesome of their male peers.
A male human in adolescence is frequently overwhelmed with combined mating urges and position maintenance to the point of displaying almost childish behaviour, and will form "opinions" on the flimsiest of evidence to demonstrate their superiority and desirability to the females of their age-group; and whether that display is accepted or rejected seems immature to them.
Fortuantely, those not culled by their self-destructive activities usually manage to aquire some social maturity by the time they reach the age of twenty years; and usually become mature mentally by the age of thirty. It is to be regretted that they act in this way, but as Simian-base creatures, it seems to be hard-wired into them. There is little that differs them from their cousins, the Chimpanzees, during these years; but they do achieve intelligence in time.
The ones that manage to avoid this peculiar behaviour set usually are belittled by the ones who are involved in these activities; yet manage to achieve a successful mating far more frequently than their mentally immature species members. It would appear that the female is more capable and aware during this time than the male, and will pick the more intelligent males to settle with and raise offspring."*
True, I started acted as if the guys that are cruel to me were my friends, now a few more girls like me that and I matured faster than the humans, so I am about on an equal level with them, so hah, I am more mature, they don't see me as a big threat, so I can get closer to girls, without breaking my face. :lol:
im 17 and the guys in my school still say im weird because im a "late bloomer" as they put it and they tend to think im a disease or something but the group i hang out with says im a normal were or therian which ever you consider me. I just don't think im mature enough for anything any more but my paretns say everyone is different at maturing rates but they say my mind is more open and more knowledgeable on things.....Everytime someone make fun of me i pretend that they are my frineds and i play along and thanx to blue-eyes,lone-wolf,weredragon25,and the rest of the pack i now have confiendence that i have made a wise chioce to make friends in school.
The world lives in silence as we howl our hearts aloud
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.

Post by IndianaJones »

Berserker wrote:Unlike the "goth" culture, furry fandom is unique in that it's detractors are almost entirely from the internet. Aside from the bully example I mentioned above, if it wasn't for the (WARNING: NOT SAFE FOR WORK, 18+ content) idiots on the internet, furry hate probably wouldn't exist, at least not in any kind of widespread form. Most people I know don't even realize furry fandom exists until it's revealed and explained to them (either that or they only have some vague notion about it.) I can even recall seeing people wearing tails at gaming locations and thinking it had something to do with Anime; I saw fursuiters once and thought it was just a costume party. I had no clue. That's what makes the whole furry "war" so absurd: if you haven't been on the internet much, you probably won't care at all.
I already explained most of those in my long a** post in this thread. Didn't you guys read it or just ignored it?

WereWolfBoy, it's good that you are open-minded, mature, and know more things than other people. Also you seem to be a positive guy, people who make fun of you and pick on you. In return, you forgive them. That is a good thing, it won't bring hate and violence. Forgive your friends, family, and enemies. But sometimes, it is really hard to forgive when something in your life goes way too far!! Everyone makes mistakes, what are we going to do about it? We learn from it of course.

I hope the Furry Fandom is accepted by the Media and the Public. Because I really want to see the furry genre in store shelves and public internet stores.

Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

IndianaJones wrote: I already explained most of those in my long a** post in this thread. Didn't you guys read it or just ignored it?
I read your post, but I don't think you were arguing that anti-furry attitudes were specific to the internet only. Nor did you provide a link to the site in question (some people may not have known about it.)
WereDragon25
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The lovestruck wolf.
Location: Conway, AR. Such a big town for such a small wolf...

Post by WereDragon25 »

alphanubilus wrote:The "Furry" and "Therian" arguement is always a toughy on wereboards, as even the slightest bit of critizism is met with hostility, and that is for the most part the truth.
can you tell me what the difference is please? I'm in the dark on the difference.
alphanubilus wrote:Firstly stop using the word HATE. Hate is a very strong word, and I have yet to see one Furry who has been murdered for being a furry. People have every much a bit of right to dislike the lifestyle, as you theirs.
We don't hate theirs, we just want ours...
Going crazy with all of the work I do, all of the practice I do, and all of the $@#% I have to deal with. God, please help and support Obsidian and I get through this mess.
Image Image Image Image Image

"And, thanks to Undercover Brother, the world was once again a funky place."
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

WereDragon25 wrote:
alphanubilus wrote:The "Furry" and "Therian" arguement is always a toughy on wereboards, as even the slightest bit of critizism is met with hostility, and that is for the most part the truth.
can you tell me what the difference is please? I'm in the dark on the difference.
"Furries" are people who really like anthropomorphic animal characters.
"Therians" are people who believe they might be spiritually part-animal.

Many furries claim to be therians. But not all therians are furries.
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary

Post by IndianaJones »

One thing still bothers me though. People should stop taking Encyclopedia Dramatica's Furry Article too Seriously!!! That website is meant to be a dark humor/satirical information. It's not all really that funny, but annoying and offensive.

Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: yradnegeL

Post by Howlitzer »

PariahPoet wrote:the internet is populated mostly by stupid people
Good point. Absolutely.

The only reason why it's populated by stupid people is because in any *reliable* context, like reality, the stupid people aren't going to get anywhere because people will recognize their stupidity. The media is another great example of how this can happen....they LIVE off of stupid people.

The result: The vast majority of people wind up seeing each and every sub-group of society being portrayed by their most stupid, perverse, and/or extreme members....a.k.a. the WORST possible examples.

I might as well say again that I'm in no way into the whole furry thing. It just doesn't do anything for me. As for therianthropy, I still don't even ask myself that question, I'm only 18, what the heck do I know? As of now I'm just an avid fan of werewolf/horror movies, and I happen to draw them.

But yeah, when it comes to the more inappropriate elements of any type of lifestyle, like the furry fandom, like it or not that's what is going to EASILY wind up being linked with the entire group, no matter how small a percentage of said people are into those types of things.

I'm going to have to agree with Alphanubilus... if I'm looking for some cool werewolf art, etc....and I wind up with numerous explicit images depicting rather obscene sexual acts.... I will have a problem with that. I have EVERY right to have a problem with someone's lifestyle if they publicly display that. Things like bestiality cannot be part of someone's lifestyle and expect people to "not look" or merely "accept" it. Unfortunately, those people are out there, and the wonderful world of the internet, and the media in general, is going to continue to enable stupid people to saturate it with more stupidity. And more stupid people are going to be unable to distinguish that from the *reality* of the situation.

This is why I'm also an avid fan of this thing called Darwinism. As bad as this sounds...today we're seeing *reverse* Darwinism....stupid people are being rewarded for stupidity....and then they spawn further stupidity....and the cycle continues. People who light themselves on fire, jump off of things and hurt themselves, or otherwise cause my IQ to drop just by watching them.... should probably not be glorified.

Fortunately for me, or unfortunately (I dunno really), I live in a rather small, isolated school environment, and the usual social categories/ stereotypes that would normally apply in a high school can't *stick* with people. So I guess I'm fortunate in that respect...many of the friendliest, smartest people I know in the school would otherwise be placed just about as far into the "punk" or "goth" category as you can get based on their appearances. In contrast...some of the dumbest, weirdest, perverse, or otherwise just plain nastiest people I know in the school would otherwise seem relatively average or innocent. So stereotyping people doesn't really work very well, because we all really know each other.

But that's far from the average experience. Once you get into larger groups of people, stereotypes play a bigger role in their opinions of people and become much harder to shake off, whether you like it or not.
WereDragon25
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The lovestruck wolf.
Location: Conway, AR. Such a big town for such a small wolf...

Post by WereDragon25 »

For the record, I'm therian. But I should stand up for furries.
Going crazy with all of the work I do, all of the practice I do, and all of the $@#% I have to deal with. God, please help and support Obsidian and I get through this mess.
Image Image Image Image Image

"And, thanks to Undercover Brother, the world was once again a funky place."