A Message by George Carlin

The place for anything at all...
Lycanthrope
Legendary
Legendary

A Message by George Carlin

Post by Lycanthrope »

(EDIT)
Last edited by Lycanthrope on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Thanks. Ordinarily I don't care much for these kind of chain letters, but this one was both particularly timely and particularly meaningful. Many of these are simply nice-sounding catch-phrases. But, Carlin's was decidedly heart-felt, especially since it breaks a way somewhat from his usual darkly humorous cynicism. It flows just like his stand-up routines, so there's a good chance it's not a hoax.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

I would have considered it a hoax immediately, but that's how one of his jokes sounds, so maybe not. Very nice either way, but somehow familiar...

EDIT: Oh... Here's why it's familiar. Carlin says this about it:
George Carlin, from his website wrote:One of the more embarrassing items making the internet/e-mail rounds is a sappy load of s*** called "The Paradox of Our Time." The main problem I have with it is that as true as some of the expressed sentiments may be, who really gives a s***? Certainly not me.

I figured out years ago that the human species is totally f*** and has been for a long time. I also know that the sick, media-consumer culture in America continues to make this so-called problem worse. But the trick, folks, is not to give a f***. Like me. I really don't care. I stopped worrying about all this temporal bullshit a long time ago. It's meaningless. (See the preface of "Braindroppings.")

Another problem I have with "Paradox" is that the ideas are all expressed in a sort of pseudo-spiritual, New-Age-y, "Gee-whiz-can't-we-do-better-than-this" tone of voice. It's not only bad prose and poetry, it's weak philosophy. I hope I never sound like that.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Lycanthrope
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lycanthrope »

Yipe! Alright, posting this wasn't as appropriate as I hoped. I do support what's being said, though. Even knowing who it's coming from.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

It encourages you to pray. No way in hell is this Carlin.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Good point; Carlin is decidedly against religion. He has said that the only good thing to come out of it is the music.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Defensorem Lupus
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Being Frank
Mood: Relief

Post by Defensorem Lupus »

At first I was like: WOW, damn this good. But both Carlin and the "Paradox" have a point. But who cares? :lol:

Seriously though, you cannot let the bad things in this world eat you up inside. You have to do your best to survive and be happy. :D
The wolf is neither man's competitor nor his enemy.
He is a fellow creature with whom the earth must be shared...
If the wolf is to survive, the wolf haters must be outnumbered.
They must be outshouted, out financed, and out voted.
Their narrow and biased attitude must be outweighed by an attitude based on an understanding of natural processes.
-Dr. L. David Mech