PLEASE READ AND SIGN (IMPORTANT)

The place for anything at all...
STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC
Legendary
Legendary

PLEASE READ AND SIGN (IMPORTANT)

Post by STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC »

This disgusts me :cry: :cry: :cry: A guy starved a dog to death and called it ART please sign the petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/ea6gk/petition.html
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

It took me a few minutes to convince myself that what happened really happened. I double-checked the facts, to make sure it wasn't being presented out-of-context. Sure enough, a starving dog was yanked off the streets and trapped in the corner of an art exhibit, left to die. Patrons of the exhibit complained, asking for the dog's release, but instead, the animal died. The artist argued that the dog wasn't eating and would have died anyway. But, this is still interference without intervention. The quote below is my comments on the petition.

Would I be making art if I neglected a frail elderly nursing home resident, letting her die of pneumonia? Would drowning kittens be art? Art is about raising awareness, but appearantly we must now be aware that which is inflected by art.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

this reminds me alot like this old topic
http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... php?t=5469
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC
Legendary
Legendary

Lukas wrote:this reminds me alot like this old topic
http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... php?t=5469
Yeah it is pretty similar, an innocent animal murdered for "art"
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

He's nuts, and so was the guy who killed the kitten. There is nothing artistic about publicly killing an animal. It doesn't convey a message, it doesn't express the artist (at least not in the way it was intended), it doesn't look interesting. I can't think of anything that this nutter could have been going for. Honestly, I think these are just crazy people using the vague term of "art" to try to weasel their way out of animal cruelty laws. Rather stupid, since art does not excuse one from the law.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Bottom line is that-art or not-this clown and the gallery owner both have dates with a judge and maybe jail time, if the law is followed. Cruelty to an animal is a serious offence.

That's the Law. Art is not above the law, and would you ever patronize the gallery that let this happen on its premises? I think not. :x

So, likely there's going to be an artist in Jail for animal cruelty, and a gallery owner that will be facing accessory charges.
Betcha that gallery isn't around in six months... :D

And...I signed the petition. The rest of you did too, didn't you? :evil:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Here's my comment:
Art is such that, in a controversial subject such as this, you need to explain why it is, in fact, art. I see no explanation for this, and I can only assume there is none. Furthermore, art or not, the law is the law. It governs all. Although I can't honestly say I know the local free speech laws of this man's country, I've never heard of freedom of speech giving anyone the excuse to break the law, and it should remain as such.
I also found a webblog called "The Small Dog Lives". I don't know who wrote it, but it was on the guy's site as "The doggy went this way". Using Babelfish didn't help me figure out how this is supposed to be art.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

Oh my gods. This is horrible. I hope someone breaks this mans spine and his pose of agony is used for a picture. We would all love to see it. :evil:

:roll:

Anyway despite the fact that was is art and what is art is up to you this is should not be allowed. It is a form of animal cruelty and someones interpretation of art does not go over that.

Now where are those common sense injections?
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

Scott Gardener wrote:
Would I be making art if I neglected a frail elderly nursing home resident, letting her die of pneumonia?
No, you would just be a regular Nursing Home employee... :P

Now getting on the subject...

Where is PETA in all of this? These folks fight for screaming lobsters, but yet when real animal cruelty is...oh pun... displayed, not a one of them in sight.

The reality is, if a person fails to show compassion for our four legged friends, then that same person would show little compassion for humanity.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Art is the part where he's supposed to draw the whole event. That way it'll save the trouble of actually committing something this stupid and pointless.

With that, it's safe to say that he's bitten off more stupid pie than he can possibly snort through his nose.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

I don't know where this exhibit was held, but judging by the language of the web site, it looks like it might be in the Honduras. I don't know what kind of animal cruelty laws they have or don't have over there. Not all countries are the same way about animal cruelty. Western Europe seems more forward-thinking, the U.S. seems to be lagging just a little lately, but it would be far better to be a dog in either place than, say, Saudi Arabia, where even being a human doesn't seem to carry much weight, at least for the female half of the population.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

Scott Gardener wrote:
Would I be making art if I neglected a frail elderly nursing home resident, letting her die of pneumonia?
That is exactly what bugged me about those nature programs. They're out on the arctic ice and they film a wolf drowning slowly over hours in the freezing water and dont step in but if one of them fell in they'd save him.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

MoonKit wrote:
Scott Gardener wrote:
That is exactly what bugged me about those nature programs. They're out on the arctic ice and they film a wolf drowning slowly over hours in the freezing water and dont step in but if one of them fell in they'd save him.
There is a huge difference between this artist and Nature Program film makers. You have to understand that nature is going to take its course, and if those film makers were to save every animal that found its way into danger they wouldn't be able to film anything. This is simply natural selection. Animals die all the time in nature. Nature programs show us, just that, the natural world. I'm sure it bugs the hell out of them to watch an animal suffer and die, but they can't interfere with the natural process. As for human toll... The fact is, it is only self preservation for us to save our own species, but that doesn't stop photographers from taking pictures of people who are about to die. I have a picture of a very attractive Venezuelan girl who got swept up in a flood. The picture shows her clinging to life to a fallen tree branch. The caption at the bottom though, states that the photographer watched in horror through his lense as the poor girl drown, helpless to save her.

In the US animal cruelty of any time is almost as bad, and in some cases worse, than cruelty to humans, but the fact is in third world countries it happens on a regular basis. In the Philippines, people even eat dogs. They pick and raise a puppy just like you would raise a steer for butchering. While I couldn't EVER imagine raising a puppy to eat it, it is the common mind set of the people there. Then again, I've raised cattle most of my life, and we've had them butchered. I never once felt an emotional attachment to a cow. To me... they are food. Same as Chickens... but then again, chickens are evil.

The sad fact is if man has little regard for his own species, then he or she isn't going to have any regard for another.
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself

Post by lupine »

Either way, I've signed the petition.

Hi again to everyone by the way. Long time no post!! :howl:  :oo
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC
Legendary
Legendary

I just want to say thanks to those who have signed and will sign
WereWolfBoy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Making the humans pay the wrong they have caused the pack
Additional Details: Damn the night
paws covered in blood, running
Running through the forest
Naked ,free of clothing howling
Animal instinct calls from
within.

Post by WereWolfBoy »

Silent Hunter wrote:Oh my gods. This is horrible. I hope someone breaks this mans spine and his pose of agony is used for a picture. We would all love to see it. :evil:

Anyway despite the fact that was is art and what is art is up to you this is should not be allowed. It is a form of animal cruelty and someones interpretation of art does not go over that.

hehehe i would love to be the one to do that lck that way i know he isn't alive to tell the story
The world lives in silence as we howl our hearts aloud
fullmoonmaster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by fullmoonmaster »

the guys deserves to have them string him up and starve him! :x i signed..and i hope others will too!
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

In the case of nature documentaries:
I've felt in the past the same "you there, with the camera, why don't you save the drowning cub," etc. But, it's still not the same. In documentaries, they're out there trying not to interfere. Paying kids to catch the dog and then putting the poor, struggling animal on display, purposefully starving him to death, is active interference. If you interfere, you create additional ethical obligations. "He would have died anyway" is not acceptable. I can't just blithely barge over into Beiruit, Lebanon, with an army and tanks, blowing up the place, saying, "well, they would have had violence here sooner or later, anyway."
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

WereWolfBoy wrote:
Silent Hunter wrote:Oh my gods. This is horrible. I hope someone breaks this mans spine and his pose of agony is used for a picture. We would all love to see it. :evil:

hehehe i would love to be the one to do that lck that way i know he isn't alive to tell the story
Oh yay. Go animal crusader! Get you cape and a sarcasim meter! :roll:
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
Black Claw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Hidden Archer

Post by Black Claw »

I had to sign, my sister saw it and she signed it also. She was really :x when i told her the situation. :howl:  :oo
I am the guardian of the light and darkness,
I am the one who whispers in the dark,
I am the eyes of your soul,
I am the shield,
I am the sword.