what got you interested in wolves?

The place for anything at all...
fenrisz
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: devourer of gods!

what got you interested in wolves?

Post by fenrisz »

as my title says im curious what got every one else on here interested in wolves werewolves foxes dogs or what ever member of the family. personaly ive always loved wolves they have been my fave animal as far back as i remember for me there could be many reasons for it.
one being ive always had a german shepherd as a pet ever since i was well before i was born and still have 2 german shepherds as pets and they hold an incredible likness to wolves.
another reason may be because my mom was inspired by the movie dances with the wolves when she named me though i doubt it has much to do with my early interest of them but when i learned this and watched the movie i found my interest in wolves grew though the movie itself didnt have alot of wolves in it. but as ive grown older so has my knowledgge and interest of wolves grown my first library book was one about wolves. there are other reasons i could think of for myself but i made this cause i want to know about the people who post on here
so i am curious to know what it is that may have made you interested in these beautiful majestic and feral creatures of nature that inhabit all the continents of this planet if there was a specific thing or you just find them interesting please post replies
"the art of forgiveness is not one we're taught"

I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Re: what got you interested in wolves?

Post by alphanubilus »

My "father".
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Just always liked them for as long as I can remember.

My mom told me the story of how when she took me to the zoo, she had to drag me away from the wolves. That's my favorite story. :D
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Moss27
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Moon Hunter
Mood: Bored

Post by Moss27 »

I guess it was when I started looking up personality quizzes back in Elementary. I was always the wolf for my shyness and quietness. The movie, Balto, only increased my love for wolves.

And of course, my love of wolves only increased as I became interested in werewolves and vice versa.
"I didn't do my homework, so why am I in trouble for something I didn't do?"
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

There used to be a small pack at the Lufkin zoo near where I grew up. My parents would take me there every summer. There was a huge glass pane so you could watch them up close, and I would spend hours with one particular wolf who always came up to visit. She would lick the glass where I put my hand then just lay down right there and we'd watch each other.

I was so confused when some old geezer came up and told me that wolf was trying to eat me. I remember I was only five and thinking "Just how stupid is this guy?". I was amazed that he honestly couldn't tell the difference between aggression and two friends visiting.

When I was older, about 10 I went to the zoo like always and the pack was gone. I learned that some disease(probably parvo or distemper) had blown through the pack and killed every one. I cried so hard. Image
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Hmm. . . Hard to pinpoint onto one specific moment. I've always been more interested in lions n' tigers n' such, but I would say wolves have been close to my hear too to some extent.

You know how in the stories you had read to you as a kid, certain species of animals are always depicted as the bad guy? Of course you have; the Big Bad Wolf is the most infamous example of them all. The thing is that, even when I was just a little kid, it never made sense to me to think that any one animal could always be inherently bad. It might've been because my brother frequently beat the crap out of me and then ran crying to our parents whenever I swung back at him, or maybe I just didn't think anything could be as simple or one-sided as that in general; either way, I figured there must always be two sides to every story and left open the possibility that the wolf was just misunderstood.

Then along came Disney's The Jungle Book, the story of the boy raised by wolves, and my brain went: "I knew it! I knew they weren't all bad!" Now granted, that same movie single-handedly set the standard for the evil tiger motif which I am still all too familiar with, but it didn't matter too much to me since I knew that was just as solid as the wolf depiction: strong, but not unbreakable.

When I finally got into creative writing, the theme that reality is not all black and white but countless shades of gray, and the motif of the creature who is misunderstood or an exception to the norm were my immediate favorite subjects and still are very much to this day. I didn't write about wolves so much because by then the Balto movies had inspired their following, but being a furry got me exposed and interested in the therian/otherkin community, and that's when I noticed all the werewolf movies were crap and wound up making them the protagonists of multiple works of fiction I'm still working on to this day.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Thats so sad Pariah :(

I've always loved animals and would read/watch different things about different species. Had some wolf toys and would draw cartoon wolves, ect. I loved the movie Balto, White Fang, Princess Mononoke and the different film versions of The Jungle Book. Would read wolf fiction like, 'Child of the Wolves', 'The Jungle Book' and 'The Sight'. The wolf started to stand out for me even more around 2001ish, when I started using the internet and found out about furries. I'd make up wolf characters and role-play in forums. I found out about the series Wolf's Rain around that time as well and ordered the fansubs online. Loved that series :) When we went to Bush Gardens about 5 years ago, I saw my first real-life wolf. From a distance. The zoo's around here dont have any wolves, but maybe I'll get to see them when I go to the Washington DC zoo later this month :D
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

Post by takyoji »

It's just a bit different with me. Apparently it just clicked in my mind or something when I was probably in middle school. None of my friends really cared at all and the idea of reading about wolves didn't really come across my mind for some reason, or I could have been too shy to.. which was why I didn't get really in-depth at that time. But it started to pick up later on, and even further more after joining The Pack out of curiosity. So really, I'm just a boring one. xP No special naming scheme, family history, or unique occurrences.
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
fenrisz
Legendary
Legendary

Post by fenrisz »

all good stories and reasons some more interesting than others and some more sad (pariah) but im glad to hear so many responses to my first thread :D and hope some more people post there own unique and special stories and i can read some more of them and get to know you all a little better

I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

Since I can not sleep... THANK YOU Breaking Dawn!!! (new Steph Meyer book)... I will clarify...

To be honest, I don't know what really got me interested in wolves. As far as I can remember I've always had a natural curiosity in all things wolf. Some of my earliest memories were of me looking at really really OLD books about wolves that my father always seemed to have. My father (I really hate to even call him that) was really big into werewolf stories, so some of the first movies I can remember was the Howling, of which scared the hell out of me, and AWL, of which, for whatever ever reason, did not. Knowning him, liking werewolves was almost an irony, as he was a monster himself. (NO HE WAS NOT A WEREWOLF) that would at least had given him a redeeming quality... He was just a really really really really really bad man.
Konietzko
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Konietzko »

My reason is kind of dumb. :roll: When I was young, like...probably seven or eight, we had a dog that was an akita-wolf mix, or so we were told. Whether she really was or not, I really don't know, but I liked her a lot, and we kind of grew up together. We moved out of town, though, and to an apartment, and she was too big for the regulations of the apartment complex, so we had to give her away. I missed her, and for lack of being able to find much in the way of reading material on akitas, I started reading about her presumed other half.
"Unchained,
Unrestrained,
Unbroken,
In my world...
The Gods have fangs."
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I have always liked animals and critters my entire life. Basically, I love anything that breathes and doesn't resemble an ape. Picking up a book about wolves and falling in love from there on out wasn't too hard for me to do.
:D
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
darkest wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Begin the day with a friendly voice- a companion unobtrusive, plays that song that's so elusive and the magic music makes your morning mood..."- The Spirit of Radio- Rush
Additional Details: l------------l
l------------l
l------5--3--l
l-3----5--3--l
l-3----3--1--l
l-1----------l
Mood: Excited

Post by darkest wolf »

I don't really know, I guess they just sort of piqued my interest a few years back and here I am. I don't have a cool story like some of you. :P Now I've got a bunch of guitar stuff with wolves on it. :lol:

-Photo and avatar by takyoji

"He who dares wins."- Winston Churchill
fenrisz
Legendary
Legendary

Post by fenrisz »

cool wolf guitars bet you play awesome songs on that :D

darkest wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Begin the day with a friendly voice- a companion unobtrusive, plays that song that's so elusive and the magic music makes your morning mood..."- The Spirit of Radio- Rush
l------------l
l------5--3--l
l-3----5--3--l
l-3----3--1--l
l-1----------l

Post by darkest wolf »

Not an actual wolf guitar per se, but stuff with wolves on it. I've got pics if ya' like. :D

Sky
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sky »

I've always been a big animal lover, but I found later on in my life, that I had this mysterious fascination with wolves. I'm not really sure what it is about the wolf that caught my attention...
It's eyes felt like it had something to share with me, a great knowledge that I needed to divulge in. It was also family oriented, something I cherish with a great loyalty, these beings were something I felt a close bond to, as life went on, I found myself needing everything there was to know about the lycan, they never ceased to make me wonder in awe.

Not too long ago, I had found out my dad has a great liking to the wolf (more specifically timber wolf), this makes me wonder as well, was the path of the wolf, woven into my life line on purpose? or did I just stumble upon the majesticness and tenderness that I have come to love like family?
I'm Crazy Deal With It!
fenrisz
Legendary
Legendary

Post by fenrisz »

thatd be cool send the pics also that must be cool that you and your dad share the same love of the wolf i dont know if any one in my family shares the same love as me be cool if i find out some day ive always found myself drawn to wolves as well not any specific kind though i do love the arctic wolves theyy are so beautiful but all wolves are in a different way

darkest wolf
Legendary
Legendary
l------------l
l------5--3--l
l-3----5--3--l
l-3----3--1--l
l-1----------l

Post by darkest wolf »

I've got those pics. :D Sorry for the poor quality, they were taken from my phone.

Some Picks Don't use 'em, they look too nice. :P

Headstock

Back of my Guitar

Front of Guitar

There ya' go!

fenrisz
Legendary
Legendary

Post by fenrisz »

thats still cool though

darkest wolf
Legendary
Legendary
l------------l
l------5--3--l
l-3----5--3--l
l-3----3--1--l
l-1----------l

Post by darkest wolf »

Thanks. :D

...And here ends my off topic tangent. :P

fenrisz
Legendary
Legendary

Post by fenrisz »

well hopefully some one will pick up and start their own tangent :D but i guess ill only know if i wait

dquail

Post by dquail »

As a teenager and still quite often i have been plagued with werewolf nightmares. still remember a few of them vividly. what is strange is that my husband said that he always wished that he was a werewolf. coincidence?
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

As for myself (I'll just be answering the topical question this time)...

I'm a bit like OD; I like life. But at the same time, I don't have to subscribe to PETA to like life.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Moonwatcher
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guardian
Mood: Sad

Post by Moonwatcher »

Mine was the same as "takyoji" it just clicked one day and before i knew
i was searching for books about wolves and what not.
Humans Fear The Beast Within the Wolf Because
They Do Not Understand the beast Within Themselves
fenrisz
Legendary
Legendary

Post by fenrisz »

sounds interesting quail but id say its coincidence but thats why your interested in werewolves? strange but every one has there own reasons.
moon whaats takyoji?