The place for anything at all...
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Pack smiley theme for Pidgin.

Post by Vagrant »

[Download the Smiley Theme]

Hey you there, you, yes you, with the pointed ears and teeth!

How would you like to replace the default smilies in your favourite IM client with the smilies you use here at the Pack? That's right, all the goodness of Figarou and Goldenwolf right there in your IMs and chats. You'll be free to duckiebomb the unsuspecting!

Ah, but how could you get such a thing? You might be thinking it's hard to do, but it's a very painless process! If you're interested, I'll walk you through the steps.

1. If you don't have Pidgin, try it. It's a very nice IM client. (It's also the only IM client I know how to make smiley packs for, right now.)

2. The next thing you need to do is download the smiley theme from the link above. Stick it somewhere safe where you'll remember it.

3. With Pidgin open and starin' at you from its perch on your desktop, find and click Tools, then go down to Preferences. In the preferences window, select Smiley Theme, and click the Add button. Navigate to where you downloaded the smiley pack, and click Open.

4. Give Pidgin a moment to install it (I've been told that sometimes Pidgin will say it hasn't installed even though it does, s'a bug), then when it shows up in your smiley theme list, click the Pack entry.

5. You'll now have Pack smileys in all your chats.

If you're wondering what bit 'o text brings up which kind of smiley, take a look at this 'ere list of tags.

Most importantly, enjoy 'em! Have fun throwing duckies at people! That'll make chatting a magical experience, that will. Everything's better with duckies.

You should try it!

Footnotes
  • If you don't want to use Pidgin but your favourite IM client handles smiley themes, and you're sure that custom ones for it can be created, pester me via a PM and I'll look into creating a Pack smiley theme for that client.
  • If you have your own custom smiley theme (Baph and Pariah, I'm lookin' at you two!) and you want to use those instead of the default Pack ones, just mail me a zip containing all the image files, and write a short bit 'o text saying what kind of emote relates to which image.
  • If you think that any of the smilies should respond to different bits of text (I have the gasmask working with :mummy:, now, too, thanks to Midnight!), just leave a response here saying which image you'd like to have responding to which bit 'o text, and I'll update the theme as soon as I'm able.
(For sending me things, my email address is: praadur atsign yahoo period co period uk)

Updates

Updated - 06.01.09.02

Code: Select all

- Fixed the missing :ick: smiley (thanks to Howlitzer).
- Added :mmmm: as a tag for the above (filename is Mmmm.gif).
- Added the Linux smiley (tags are :redhat:, :linux:, and :tak:).
Updated - 06.01.09.01

Code: Select all

- Changed 8) to 8-)/8o) (stops it messing with datestamps).
- Removed WB (:welcomeback: and :wb: still work).
- Changed ?? to :??:.