Furs,Therian,Otherkin,WereWolves, Shamans, Mythology etc?

The place for anything at all...
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Furs,Therian,Otherkin,WereWolves, Shamans, Mythology etc?

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

I had recently posted a poll on DA asking this" Who are you and what? and had several different catogories: Furry, Therian, Human, Other, and Otherkin. But I did notice a few say werewolf straight out and I was wondering if they are saying that are they also saying shifting is something that can be done? When I hear the term werewolf I think shifter. I used to say werewolf for myself, but I can not physically shift. I may feel changes, but they are what I call phantom shifts. At time they are accompanied by mood changes and urges, but nothing really extreme. When the question "Is p-shifting possible?" is asked I could not answer that. I want to believe some day it is possible, but as of now it is not for me. When it comes to otherkin I think of vampires, dragons, gryphons etc. I believe that it is very possible for them to have existed at one time.

When I see Egyptian art and see the pictures of Anubis, Set,Horus and when you look at greek mythology with their gods as well Zeus, Hades. All of these different inscriptions written on pyramids and in books. Then we have the ufo sightings that still go on today. I recently talked to a man who said he was abuducted right here in Missouri when he was out one night. The first case I actually heard of in person. The hindu god or goddess has 2 and in some cases 3 sets of arms and I have seen both humanish and an elepant version of this god.

There are many more things I'd like to mention, but I want to get to the question. Could all of these gods have something in common to connect with both human and animal worlds? Why is it some gods are seen as animals while some human or something in between? Could all of these things hold an answer to why we all have these feelings inside to do one thing and others follow yet another?

There are so many beliefs and faiths out there perhaps they ARE all right depending on your belief, but even so still looked down upon by others. Which brings me to this too, why does it seem not many are open to the possibility? I think for one to believe there isn't more is fine, but I think being open to things isn't bad either. Perhaps for each generation the times this is how it is supposed to be. No one can say truly why there are so many gods out there to begin with and do they all have something we should be looking at for answers? I keep hearing about the year 2012, about there possibily being a change. Some people think it will be a good change and some bad (the end of the world) I heard this has to do with the Mayan's calender that apparently has been very accurate with things in the past, but again I don't really know, I want to know, but perhaps that is something that is best kept secret. I somehow feel that there are answers out there that we just do not see yet and that is for a good reason I gather.

What are your thoughts on my thoughts?
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Re: Furs,Therian,Otherkin,WereWolves, Shamans, Mythology etc?

Post by vrikasatma »

ImageImageImageImage
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Last edited by Midnight on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

This is a huge topic for me, where to begin?

Life today is very secure, and human society is entirely about the aspect of nurturing as opposed to anything else. There is something that everyone will desire, but the majority desire something that can be achieved within this World, I suppose the reason not many are willing to believe is because it means that their World could be turned upside-down by such an alien influence, whereas we would welcome the change, they could see that selfsame change as a thread to what they have.

That's the nature of fear and humans: I am a human, I have food now and I didn't, a strange person stands before me, normally I might welcome them but now I see them with distrust, as I fear they may take my food away.

I find it ... strange and even incredibly unsettling to be satisfied with the World as it is today, but a lot of people are and this is all they want. I want Werewolves, I want upside-down floating cities of glass and crystal suspended over an ancient jungle against an orange sky with two moons, I want to be able to exist in a land of infinite novelty, but not everyone desires that. It's a shame that they don't, really.

I wish they did, I'd have more people to talk to outside of the Internet then but no, all they ever talk about is football. I don't want anyone to misunderstand me here, I don't begrudge them that ... it's just that I wish that those who crave dreams weren't so incredibly outnumbered, it leaves a person feeling rather alone sometimes.

Anyway, to wrap this particular part up: It's the safety of the World, more dangerous times birthed more fantastic beliefs, these days such ideas are bastioned by the few, and mostly turn up in books rather than everyday conversation or belief. These days, the vampires and werewolves are really just rather unintelligent muggers, and everyone's aware of that.

One day we're going to unearth a crashed alien craft or some such anyway and it's going to turn all of this on its head, the World will go crazy. If not an alien craft then something else, perhaps 2012 -- but I'll get to that in a moment.

I'm an open-minded sort, I'll believe most things ... though I would grudge a person if they claimed to be a physical (not spiritual) Werewolf and wouldn't prove it. I'd feel the same way though if someone claimed to be a real anything, because I'd want to personally be involved in something fantastic. If someone tells me however that they're a spiritual anything; standard fauna or mythological, then I'll take them at their word. At the end of the day, they're just another person who craves a reality of dreams, much as I do.

The thing is, the fantastic is a luxury these days but not everyone is willing to let go of it, or the amazingly creative dreams that accompany it. I think that's a good thing, I fear to think of a tomorrow without dreams. All these things tie into that I think, what a people worshipped, their subjective reality, and the World around them...

Without a good basis in logic and science, it was easy to weave a fantasy around anything at all: And the result of that was often based off what a people generally worshipped. If there were those who had a great deal of respect for animals, then this would be shown in the Gods they believe in, environment affects belief like that. And since there were only very few to tell them that their beliefs were wrong, they thrived.

I do believe in science though myself, and I think that it will eventually be our salvation and provide us with our dreams, because as I see it, it has already provided some with theirs. This is all rolling into what I spoke of before, there are those who dream of nothing more than a beer and a football match, and technology provides with high-definition televisions, enhancing their enjoyment. In the future, depending on how fast we progress, it'll do the same for us. The dreams we crave will be granted to us, that's really just inevitable.

So, 2012 then.

2012 is the end of a cycle on the Mayan calendar, it's not the end of the calendar but of one cycle--and a new one begins from there. The Mayans were a surprisingly smart lot, so I'd be very suurprised if something didn't happen, even if it was small. I admit that I am cynical, but nonetheless I'll be keeping an eye open on December 23rd, 2012. I don't believe it'll be the end of the World though, but I don't entirely believe that nothing will happen either ... I have this nagging feeling that something will occur. I have no clue what it is, though.

I think it's important that we keep dreaming though and not forget our dreams, they're what make us individuals -- what's painful about it all is that we haven't had the chance to have our draems realised yet, that's why our belief is so much more sharp, piercing, and painfully sweet than that of anyone else. Today: Being rich, being a rockstar, being a footballer or whatnot is possible to obtain, becoming a Werewolf is not.

It'll happen though eventually, and when Werewolves are stomping about the lands, everyone will have no choice but to believe. Such is the way of things.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

I'm a therian who uses the furry fandom to let the kitty out every so often. ^^

I believe p-shifting is possible because I need to believe it. The world is a very lonely miserable place when I think that there is nothing out there that defies our neat little rules of nature.
Werewolf Warrior
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Warrior Hero
Additional Details: Email: werewolfwarrior@ymail.com

http://myspace.com/werewolfwarrior

Main Grid Second Life Name: Alexie Borgin.
Mood: Excited

Post by Werewolf Warrior »

well it has been quite known for that answer pop on certain questions...not that I know where exactly besides Deviant Art, but there might be a chance that some people on furaffinity.net

plus on other answers I think one of them was Werefox. not sure which site, because Its been along time since i heard that answer of the werefox specises. heck arent we werewolves, half-dragons, and other were creatures?

:panting: :D
Werewolf Nation Leader

If any of you wish to join us in Second Life please do, and if you want to you can join our site at http://www.werewolfnation.webs.com/index.htm
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Vagrant wrote:... I have this nagging feeling that something will occur. I have no clue what it is, though.
The planet will line up with the black hole at the center of the galaxy.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Set wrote:
Vagrant wrote:... I have this nagging feeling that something will occur. I have no clue what it is, though.
Yes, 2012 is just observed by the Mayans as segnificant because of a cosmological event. Such events at such great distances have no effect whatsoever on our planet's environment though. The galaxy alignment happens once every 50,000 years or so, and is not genuinely noticeable to the untrained eye. Last time it happened I think the Earth stayed intact, since we're still standing on it.
USA Today, 3/27/2007 wrote:"For the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole cycle," says Sandra Noble, executive director of the Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies in Crystal River, Fla. To render Dec. 21, 2012, as a doomsday or moment of cosmic shifting, she says, is "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in."

Part of the 2012 mystique stems from the stars. On the winter solstice in 2012, the sun will be aligned with the center of the Milky Way for the first time in about 26,000 years. This means that "whatever energy typically streams to Earth from the center of the Milky Way will indeed be disrupted on 12/21/12 at 11:11 p.m. Universal Time," Joseph writes.

But scholars doubt the ancient Maya extrapolated great meaning from anticipating the alignment — if they were even aware of what the configuration would be.

Astronomers generally agree that "it would be impossible the Maya themselves would have known that," says Susan Milbrath, a Maya archaeoastronomer and a curator at the Florida Museum of Natural History. What's more, she says, "we have no record or knowledge that they would think the world would come to an end at that point."
Apocolypse? Puhleeeze. :roll:
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Kaebora wrote:Apocolypse? Puhleeeze. :roll:
"Apocalypse" means "a revealing." Says nothing about destruction. As for me, Apocalypse happens regularly.

Armageddon, now...from the Hebraic "meggido"...I think we're seeing that over in Gaza right now. An Israeli soldier walked into a Palestinian house and told the woman to sacrifice five of her children to Israel, choose now or I'll choose.
The only thing they're not doing is kicking children into flaming trashpits (yet). :x
ImageImageImageImage
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Correlation does not equal causation, but didn't the last Ice Age happen to correspond with a galactic alignment?

Besides, on 2012, the ancient animal folk who were made extinct by the rise of civilized man will fulfill their ancient pact with the gods of nature to return, and their modern descendents will take the form of werewolves and other creatures. Cities won't be safe places at this time, especially if you become transformed!
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

I don't believe in p-shifting. As far as science is concerned currently it's impossible. Not to say I wouldn't enjoy to find out P-shifting were real - be it via first-hand experience or the whole thing being revealed to the world or something. It'd be awesome. But I don't put much stock in things that haven't yet been proven. So it can wait for science to re-invent itself as it's always done, I guess, heh.

Besides, I think it a bit blind to ignore how full of strange and wonderful things the world already is - both the natural and the man-made.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Set wrote:
Depending on how (or really where) you look at it, our planet is always lined up with the black hole in the center of the galaxy. :P
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

2012 is gonna be just like the day Obama got elected. People are going to talk about it and talk about it and complain and worry...and then nothing is going to happen. Sorry guys, but if there are any cosmic changes we're not going to be able to see them.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

vrik: I actually didn't know that about Armageddon, thanks for sharing!

It's interesting though that the possibility (I'm not even saying probability here) of physical shifter is denied on a Scientific grounds, as it seems that that wouldn't wouldn't be the most sensible to deny it on. Logic, rationale, research, or common sense I could understand, but Science?

The reason I say this is because we redefine our understanding of Science every day, and even the most ludicrous theories today could become the serious discussion fodder of classrooms tomorrow. So often our view of the Universe is changed, by one miscalculation or a new theory that completely debunks certain things we were sure we understood.

Science is human understanding, it's not an objective truth of the Universe. Science is a tool we use to understand the World around us, and we can't be arrogant with that, we can never assume that we know more about the Universe than it does and that it should be our place to dictate how it should be, because if we do that then we lose our ability to see observe it to see what it could be. Then we would stagnate with these old ideas as the Universe goes on around us.

Thanks to this, it's possible that a physical shifter could exist: purely by merit of actually utilising something we actually hadn't grasped or encountered yet. Would that be so unbelievable?

I'm as skeptical as the next person, but I don't believe that human understanding is the be-all-and-end-all deciding factor here, mostly because of how often our understanding of the Universe changes. It changes too often for me to believe that we really have more than the basest of ideas, and to believe with such a flimsy understanding that we could dictate what is and is not possible... that seems like folly to me.

Sure, you could write up a long essay about why a shifter simply could not exist and would be impossible by today's rules, but then tomorrow those rules could change completely and all that could be rendered null and void.

The only 'impossible' aspect is that it's impossible that we could comprehend them given our own rather limited current understanding, in my opinion.

The same is true of anything similar really, 2012, the paranormal, and so on. I'm still a sceptic mostly because I find it hard to believe it myself, considering the kind of World we live in, but that's only because of how bloody boring it's been so far--I have little reason to believe that anything truly fantastic will happen tomorrow, that's just my rationale for it.

But there's always the possibility and nothing is ever impossible, especially not by the standards of Science and human understanding.

It's just my opinion of course, but it's how I feel about this.

I'm not saying that anyone should abandon their positions, I think people should keep their thoughts (individuality is good), I just wanted to add my piece to this and why I'd be willing to believe in the fantastic, despite everything.
Whisperwind
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Whisperwind »

MoonKit wrote:2012 is gonna be just like the day Obama got elected. People are going to talk about it and talk about it and complain and worry...and then nothing is going to happen. Sorry guys, but if there are any cosmic changes we're not going to be able to see them.
lmfao. i tend to agree, but the hopeful part of me wants SOMETHING to happen, good or bad, just cause theres so much bad in the world that it feels like its going to bubble over into something big...

or, more likely, just slowly get worse and worse until we totally kill the planet and eventually start to starve, a la Idiocracy.
wolves and dragons? i'm on board! ImageImageImage
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

For the umpteenth time, here's what happens on 21 Dec 2012:

Think of the Mayan calendar in the same way that you think of the odometer in a car. When it was installed, the odometer showed 00,000.0 miles. As you drive, the number it shows gets larger.

Then at 100,000.0 miles (on most cars) it goes back to 00,000.0 miles and starts over again recording the distance the car has travelled.

That's what happens on 12-21-2012. The Mayan Calendar (one of three they used) resets. Yes, our Sun aligns with a black hole in the Galactic Center. There are several of them, so take your pick.

There is one very important thing happening that day, though; the last minute Xmas sales kick in. That might satisfy the predictions of tumult and insanity... :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Vagrant wrote:vrik: I actually didn't know that about Armageddon, thanks for sharing!
[smacking self on the forehead]
Damn! I got my Biblical places mixed up in my original post...please to forgive, me not Christian...

Anyway, wanted to take the opp to correct my post on Armageddon. There are some parallels with the prophesy of Har Megiddo in the present Gazan crisis, but I muddled Megiddo with Gehinnom/Gehenna (also south of Jerusalem). That's where they used to offer human sacrifice to Moloch by throwing children into a huge burning pit of garbage. Hideous, hideous place; it wasn't just dead children burning in there, it was executed criminals, trash, raw sewage, offal...
ImageImageImageImage
lycanthropeful
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf Wannabe
Mood: Ruthless

Post by lycanthropeful »

I really don't believe in physical shifting at all, though what vrikasatma said got me thinking about the age-old questions of human belief eras ago. How could different cultures all form somewhat similar opinions of mythological creatures (like dragons, shapeshifters, etc.) simultaneously without them being real? Or at least how would they conceive such a being in their imaginations, and present them as such real, tangible creatures? That's a question that may never be answered.

Modern day science tells me that it'll be a long way off before a human would be able to either alter its genetic makeup in order to shift into, well, anything really, or to evolve to a level that could sustain the great amounts of energy that a completely genuine transformation would likely demand. Beyond just the science, the ethics of the human experimentation that would probably be necessary to find out if transformations could occur would likely be questionable, too (which is a shame. Real life werewolves would quite literally be a dream come true).

I don't really think those who believe in p-shifts are crazy, but I wonder how they can go on believing that they have undergone a transformation when no one has seen them, they may not have physical evidence, and other obvious points that are lacking. It's probably not the most unbelievable concept out there, but personally, I find physical transformation an impossibility right now, though I certainly won't hold it against someone if they feel that can transcend to something more than just human.

2012 should be interesting. I really hope it DOESN'T turn out to be a flop like Y2K was. :P
SaxGirl1010 @ deviantART
Art commissions are currently OPEN! Click HERE!
Vengeance, my werewolf novel: ON SALE NOW!
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Vagrant wrote: It changes too often for me to believe that we really have more than the basest of ideas, and to believe with such a flimsy understanding that we could dictate what is and is not possible... that seems like folly to me.
It doesn't to me. We must - out of necessity - take the facts, look them over and say "This is a possibility, and this not." While there's a chance it can change, we do not plan things on the possibility of that.

Science can and will change, but we can't go around disregarding it's laws on that. If something exists outside of what we currently know, we can't act on it until we learn on it, study it and incorporate it's existence into science.

It's like a world leader adopting a plan for his space program that involves traveling to Andromeda or whatever - not a feasible plan currently. Not until science can figure out if there is a way to work around not being able to go faster than light (which takes forever to get there anyways). As well as a way to stop said FTL-capable vehicle, as science also dictates that in the frictionless environment of space we'd need a way to slow the heck down since there's nothing working against us to slow us down (unless you count space junk - but it's method of slowing us down is rather ...destructive).
Werewolf Warrior
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Warrior Hero
Additional Details: Email: werewolfwarrior@ymail.com

http://myspace.com/werewolfwarrior

Main Grid Second Life Name: Alexie Borgin.
Mood: Excited

Post by Werewolf Warrior »

That is true Aki, Science is BIG in the world. Yet Science cant solve every thing. Science couldn't solve the sitings of UFOs, werewolves, vampires, nor how one man can servive a fatal injury to the head and not die from it.
Werewolf Nation Leader

If any of you wish to join us in Second Life please do, and if you want to you can join our site at http://www.werewolfnation.webs.com/index.htm
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Saber:
Have you checked out the Everworld series? K.A. Applegate wrote 12 of them.
http://www.amazon.com/Search-Senna-Ever ... 923&sr=8-1
Its a fantasy series about some normal teenagers who get stuck in a world where all the old gods and mythological creatures of different cultures of Earth live.

Sorry, I don't have anything philosophical to say at the moment(maybe later), just thought you would find that of interest. :D
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Werewolf Warrior wrote:That is true Aki, Science is BIG in the world. Yet Science cant solve every thing. Science couldn't solve the sitings of UFOs, werewolves, vampires, nor how one man can servive a fatal injury to the head and not die from it.
It can, actually. UFOs, weres, vamps, etc. can all be explained in various ways (which I woill not mention for sake of brevity) and it can certainly explain surviving a head injury. It's all about what is actually injured in the injury and how it's injured.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Aki wrote:
Werewolf Warrior wrote:That is true Aki, Science is BIG in the world. Yet Science cant solve every thing. Science couldn't solve the sitings of UFOs, werewolves, vampires, nor how one man can servive a fatal injury to the head and not die from it.
It can, actually. UFOs, weres, vamps, etc. can all be explained in various ways (which I woill not mention for sake of brevity) and it can certainly explain surviving a head injury. It's all about what is actually injured in the injury and how it's injured.
The brain is truly an amazing thing.
Just google 'hemispherectomy'.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

Aki, I actually don't disagree with you on any of that. What set me off was two things, it was the notion of p-shifting being considered completely impossible, and a couple of other posts just struck me as narrow-minded...

Okay, I'll explain myself here real quick.

From a personal standpoint, 'impossible' is an unpleasant word, I feel that something can be "highly improbable", and it can also be "very unlikely", but I cannot understand how it would be "impossible" for any conceivable outcome to be true somewhere, beyond our understanding. I've tried wrapping my mind around that but whenever I try thinking it I feel arrogant, I can't really apologise for that because that's just how I am.

I simply believe that there are many things beyond our understanding and that we shouldn't discount them on the simple merit that we haven't encountered them yet.

It's true that they might be highly improbable (and as a sceptic I'd agree with that) but to say that anything is unbelievable and to dismiss it out of hand seems to show a willingness to ignore parts of the Universe that don't exactly fit with our understanding.

This is why I'm a huge fan of fringe Sciences too, for that selfsame reason. I'm more than willing to try and separate the likely from the unlikely, but designating things possible and impossible means that we could never accept the impossible even if it happened to beep our collective nose. I feel that Science, at least, should dictate that anything is possible, but simply that there are many things which are highly improbable.
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

By the way it looks.....Extraterrestrials are living among us. As the poll was made for people's interests and beliefs. Because all those type of things are weird, different, not so normal, and not humans. :?
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/