PLAGUE! Wash those hands people

The place for anything at all...
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

PLAGUE! Wash those hands people

Post by MattSullivan »

A new strain of Swine flu that came out of Mexico is killing people. So far it aint too bad here in the US, but health officials say it's killed over 100 people in mexico and has spread all over the world. If you feel sick, stay home and see a doctor. Don't go to work. Don't spread this thing. Take care of yourselves :}
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Re: PLAGUE! Wash those hands people

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Just saw this on the yahoo front page. Scary stuff seriously. I hope they find out more about it. I want to know how it is spreading. Is it by eating something, touching or maybe it is just airborne. I been trying to find more info on this since I read about it.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

*climbs in big plastic bubble and sits in fetal position, rocking back and forth*

God help us :fever:

I can't even watch the movie Outbreak without chickening out and turning it off. lol
Hopefully it wont become widespread :|
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Actually the internet may be the thing that saves the world from outbreaks like this. Information gets to people fast...and so far they've kept the spread under control for the most part.

I wonder if all werewolf fans are germ-phobic like me :D
Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Undead Mutant Dinosaur
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

So are we looking at a possible zombie outbreak? Thats how these things always start you know, some new's skid mark is reporting deaths due to some viral outbreak sweeping the nation, then BAM! Next thing you know corpses are trying to crack your skull open to feast on it's gooey contents.
"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching."
-Jack Handey
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

Good call, Matt!

In addition to hand washing, get yourself a little bottle of skin sanitizer and use it! Stay active and eat right.

While the current outbreak is still near the Mexico/U.S. border, this can spread very easily- thanks to the travelling capability we enjoy these days.
As Matt said; If you feel sick, stay home at least long enough to find out what you have. Like many viral infections, this thing can be spread by both sick AND apparently healthy people who are in the disease incubation cycle. And if you get sick, see the Doctor if your symptoms match any of the Swine Flu's symptom list.

Look, the Swine Flu killed more people than World War one. Get the picture?
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

It has made its way all the way up here in the Northeast on account of all the idiots that brought it back from Spring Break with them. The good news is that all the identified victims are showing signs of improvement, but the bad news is that there are probably plenty more people carrying the virus that aren't coming forward about it.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

I wonder why people wanna go to Mexico in he first place. That's where incurable TB originated, and of course, there's the water you dare not drink. Add drug wars, kidnappings, and soccer and you got a place I dare not tread.

However, I will say this. Tacos rule. Thank you mexico. Your food...when prepared here, with washed hands, is awesome.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

I kind of have issues with germs already so I am a big hand washer.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

too bad it couldnt be a "turn ya into a werewolf" bug :P
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

MattSullivan wrote:too bad it couldnt be a "turn ya into a werewolf" bug :P
That would be the only germ/virus I'd go out looking to catch :wink:
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

I ain't worried, myself.

First it was the Bird Flu that was gonna kill us. It didn't go anywhere. I imagine this'll be the same.

This map is particularly enlightening. Notice how all the deaths are in Mexico.

Gee, I wonder why. It couldn't be that Mexico's not exactly the first place that springs to mind when one thinks of quality health care, could it? Nah, that couldn't be it. Too easy... :P
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

I used to carry hand sanitizer around in my pocket because I hate when I go to the store to touch carts and stuff. I can't tell you how many people I have seen sneeze in their hand then go back to pushing the cart...Big yuck. I do like some bigger store have wipes in them right as you come in. I wash the cart handles off everytime. Strangely enough there are alot of Mexicans here in Tennessee... I have a feeling that could be trouble. I am actually right now experiencing some flu like symptoms. Cold flu i believe. My body is sore, very congested. I am hoping it is just my allergies messing up here.
Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: yradnegeL

Post by Howlitzer »

Aki wrote:I ain't worried, myself.

First it was the Bird Flu that was gonna kill us. It didn't go anywhere. I imagine this'll be the same.

This map is particularly enlightening. Notice how all the deaths are in Mexico.

Gee, I wonder why. It couldn't be that Mexico's not exactly the first place that springs to mind when one thinks of quality health care, could it? Nah, that couldn't be it. Too easy... :P

Interesting that you mention Bird Flu, Aki... This could actually be an offshoot of Bird Flu.

The frightening thing about this Swine Flu is that it is closely linked to one of the biggest fears back when people were talking about Bird Flu: Namely, hybridization with other Flu strains in Pigs.

Bird Flu had a nasty mortality rate compared with regular Flu, hence all the panic. However it was not nearly as easily spread directly between humans as regular Flu can be.

Here's the thing with this Swine Flu that scares the ever living crap out of me:

Pigs have a similar immune system to humans. Say a pig has a common strain of Flu, and then is infected with Bird Flu....in this scenario, it is entirely possible for a hybrid virus to emerge. A very likely result is a virus, just as contagious as the common flu, but almost as deadly as the Bird Flu.

Where can this happen? Someplace warm, with a dense population and lots of livestock intermingling, and thus allowing spreading of germs between animals. Most likely in a place where records are not well kept on the health of the livestock..... i.e. *several* places in Mexico.

This is what causes pandemics if we aren't careful.

Swine Flu could very well be the evil nephew of the Bird Flu we thought had disappeared.

So yeah. I wouldn't go running around in an all-out panic over this....but I would CERTAINLY not brush it off based on the outcome of the "Bird Flu" scare.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

I still ain't scared. Like I said, it's killing folks in Mexico.

People in places like America and Western Europe are still breathing, AFAIK. Medical care's better here.

Similarly, a quick wiki of Bird Flu shows it only showed up in places that are likewise not well known for having particularly good medical care.
Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

So wait, this thing has characteristics of the bird flu? God, it’s like some poorly written fan wank virus.

And the problem with comparing it with the Bird Flu panic is that the big worry with that one is the worry was that it would make the complete human to human jump. Swine flu already has.
MattSullivan wrote:too bad it couldnt be a "turn ya into a werewolf" bug :P
Werepig?
"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching."
-Jack Handey
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Cambell's Chicken Noodle Soup, DayQuil, and Sprite.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

Picked up something on the news last night that should be obvious...

Masks...as in dust masks you get in the drug store or market or hardware stores.
If you aren't sick, they will help you by keeping aspirated (sneezed/coughed) stuff out of your airway.
If you are sick (with anything) they will definitely prevent you from spreading things when you cough.
-BUT-
You have to wear them, and they have to fit so there are no gaps where they don't touch the skin.

Don't touch your mouth, eyes, or nose with your fingers unless you wash them first, or use sanitizer. (News)
This Flu can be spread by people before they show symptoms. (News)
Sunlight kills this Flu, as does drying out. This version of Flu has a fatty coating, so anything that breaks down fat will kill this Flu. (News)
-and-
Taking anti-viral meds if you aren't sick can actually impair your immunity to this disease by making "Super-Flu" viruses that aren't affected by our existing anti-viral medicines. (News)

The best way to avoid this disease is to stay calm and use your own good sense. Panic will only make things worse...mostly for you.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Glad I live on the other side of the ocean.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
OukaHowls
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Howling all the time...
Mood: Happy
Location: In my dog's pen. Playing and feeding them. ( lot's of dog food, believe me. I have 20 dogs...)

Post by OukaHowls »

What sucks for me is that I'm really close to Mexico... and people in my town go to Mexico a lot... then come back... and there's a lot of farming going on here with pigs...
UGH, I'm screwed!

I've been feeling a bit unwell lately. I hope I'm not getting it.

I was thinking the same thing Bloodyredbaron was thinking, which is kind of funny.
And I agree with everyone wishing it was a "turn into werewolf" bug as well. hahaha

But RedEye, I read something that said the masks don't really help from getting infected. It's still a good idea and I would even wear one. It's not guarantied to work but I'm sure it helps at least a little.
They did make a cure for this, but I think your supposed to take it right when the symptoms show. ( news )

I'm not to worried about this, it's just like another flu. And I've had that before. What I'm upset about ( I've watched to many scary movies ) is that the virus is mutating.
" May the darkness never scare you, but calm you through the night..."
Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

Morkulv wrote:Glad I live on the other side of the ocean.
That won't save you now, Mork. AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm feeling a bit under the weather as well, but the important thing to remember is not to panic. I was talking to my one competent teacher this morning and he reminded me that a lot of the symptoms they announced this morning are also caused by dehydration. In general, though. If you don't have a fever, you probably don't have the flu.
-Jack Handey
Moss27
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Moon Hunter
Mood: Bored

Post by Moss27 »

There's already one school closed in Seattle, which is like, one hour away, all because of one boy. There are only six cases inside the State so far.

My brother is getting paranoid! But if you think you're going to be sick, then you will. I just hope there are no more cases around my county.
"I didn't do my homework, so why am I in trouble for something I didn't do?"
Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

It's so true.

-Jack Handey
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mood: RAR!

Post by *nagowteena* »

I'm kind of freaking out about this...being here on the boarder and all. people from Juarez come here to El Paso a lot.
Last edited by *nagowteena* on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z