Were cubs

The place for anything at all...
WolfeGuardian
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Guardian
Additional Details: Guardian the moon pale wolf with golden flaming eyes never to be tamed,
Mood: RAR!
Location: The Dark comforting forests that welcome my presence...

Were cubs

Post by WolfeGuardian »

o k being new I'm not really sure if this is typically the right place to put this but if so I am sorry, so anyways since reading many novels watching many movies and the whole theories thing comes into play with werewolves, and one that always bothers my mind is can werewolves bare cubs? or does the change restrict them from in doing so, I'm very curious to what you all would think to at least give me a little clue ?? :howl:  :oo
“Doubt that the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love.”

PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Re: Were cubs

Post by PariahPoet »

I've encountered several stories that include cubs. The novel Luna is all about a were cub.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

Well, it seems to be that the issue is never really mentioned, or they can but cannot shapeshift during the pregnancy without harming the baby, or they just plain cannot because they have to shapeshift and the baby cannot survive.

Really, there aren't all that many babies in films at all, and traditionally werewolf films are horror films so if there are any babies, they're human babies and need to be rescued from the rampaging werewolf. Also, the most common method of becoming a werewolf is getting "cursed" somehow. A werewolf cub, by very definition of being a cub and not a human baby, would either already be "cursed", or likely be trapped in a transformed state its entire life. The general consensus on babies is that they're innocent, and cute, and all that, and a miniature werewolf (of the cursed variety) that could barely even crawl isn't any of those things, or even scary, it's just pathetic.

I don't really care about the issue one way or another, as it would be a good story that makes or breaks a werewolf cub, not a werewolf cub that makes or breaks a good story.
Last edited by Wingman on Sat May 23, 2009 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
OukaHowls
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Howling all the time...
Mood: Happy
Location: In my dog's pen. Playing and feeding them. ( lot's of dog food, believe me. I have 20 dogs...)

Post by OukaHowls »

Well from what I believe is that it would be possible. But like Wingman said, shifting in and out would probably do great harm or even kill the baby inside the mother's whom. Of course I could give you my whole thought on the matter but that would involve too much of my webcomic, so I'll get leave with that. :)
" May the darkness never scare you, but calm you through the night..."
WolfeGuardian
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: Guardian the moon pale wolf with golden flaming eyes never to be tamed,

Post by WolfeGuardian »

hm yes I agree with wingman and you both which this very much intrigues me since werewolves In my opinion can't just typically stay in there were, state unless you or others believe so... :? I have heard though that most werewolves who do mate for cubs often miscarry which is sad but yet still very curious
“Doubt that the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love.”

MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Ugh. I had always hoped no one would ever use the word CUB here. Anyone familiar with furry fandom will know why. If you don't I'll tell ya. CUB is equated with pedophilia. There are lots of furries here and I would just ask you use the term PUP as opposed to cub.

Say PUP. Not cub. Please.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Matt, you really didn't need to bring that up.
The way you said "There are lots of furries here, so say "pup"." Sounds very much like you're calling us pedos.

I think you're the only one who immediately makes that association.
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

The way you said "There are lots of furries here, so say "pup"." Sounds very much like you're calling us pedos.
No,he is saying that cub is now linked to the more questionable elements of the furry fandom in his mind and in many others mind. Though I am aware not all furries are like that, sadly it does stain fandoms image and yes, there are a lot of furry peadophiles yet there also a lot of great people too. Its not black or white, so to speak.

However the term wolf cub is actually used a fair amount and is a fair term so the dislike of the word its more the darker element of the fandoms doing then anything else when it comes to that sour accosiation.

Now onto WolfE's question. Well in some fiction, weres do have babies. Sometimes they are born as normal human babies and other times they are half wolfish already. Usually the mother is stuck in the human or wolf form to give birth. As said it depends on the fiction. There is really no solid rule or status quo regarding it.
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

There are no more furry pedophiles than there are pedos in the general population.
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

Which I never said, anyway, this is getting off topic.
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Let's not get too ugly here. I just meant to be informative. And it's a shame that I should have even felt compelled to bring it up. I'm actually more concerned with keeping those afforementioned pedos OUT of the PACK boards. I know a lot of werewolf fans are furries. I know furries who didn't like it when the cub stuff started worming its way into their fandom.

So yeah, just pointing out something, that's all.It's not a slight against ANYONE on this board and if it offended anyone, I'm sorry.
WolfeGuardian
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfeGuardian »

Well as strange as that was...sorry but I never meant anything by the term to furries because in all truth I myself support the furries but have never heard of this term about cub I simply just used what most biologists would call a wolf pup sometimes any how I thank the most who have answered my post :howl:  :oo

Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Have to say I agree with Matt on this. :P . But back on topic; if a werewolf was to be pregnant, I believe they would have to restrict their transformations, they have to stay within one of the two forms while they are pregnant, otherwise I would imagine the transformation could kill the infant.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise

Post by Kaebora »

PariahPoet wrote:I think you're the only one who immediately makes that association.
I think she's right Matt.

To be technical, the word cub indeed is not the proper wording for any canine or werewolf breed. Pup really is the correct word. Cub is to describe the young of large predator mammals such as bears, lions, and other big cats. Therefore, the word Cub has a place in Zoology, and I use it freely.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

In my stuff, Werewolves can get pregnant (if female) and give birth; not to cubs or pups, but babies. They are born looking completely human and only come into their heritage as puberty happens.

Given the usual construction of a placental mammal, one can expect that the uterus will be in a protected place in the female's body; and if the Shift is not too severe, the fetus will not be overly risked in its development. If we take the movie Werewolf, which ignores any but the most basic biology; then yes--there would be grave risk to the fetus within the mother's body. If we use a more conservative and nature-oriented approach, then either the mother won't be able to shift--OR--the Shift will not overtax the developing child within her body.

If one uses the yardstick of "What uses the least energy and is the least damaging to the continuance of the species", then what I've outlined above would apply.
Remember: Anything that restricts the fertility of a species will either disappear naturally, or the species itself will die out. That kind'a points the way that I used in the Wulfen stuff.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Makes sense Redeye.
Leonca~
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Cat who walks by Herself
Mood: Stressed

Post by Leonca~ »

I think the main factor for deciding what would happen would be the nature of the transformation.
If it is biologically based there is the chance that shifting would cause the baby to be attacked by the mother’s immune system. I know I’ve read at least one book where female werewolves (infected by virus kind) were infertile because of immune system issues. Might not be as likely to be a problem if they are presented as another species/subspecies vs. infected.
If on the other hand they are magical in nature this might not be a problem at all. That is how I worked mine out to be. Being pregnant does not limit the mother in any way, but the child will change as she changes and be born in whatever form she is in at the time. This does pose some potential problems though since they will not gain control of their shapeshifting abilities until later in life.
Should this be moved to the “what should a werewolf be” forum?
Sombra avatar by Leopreston at deviantart.com
Gevaudan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Music Lover
Additional Details: Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!

Post by Gevaudan »

Leonca~ wrote:Should this be moved to the “what should a werewolf be” forum?
Probably. Don't we have another thread like this in there already? Maybe, maybe not. I'm too lazy to go check.
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Find me under my new username @RhyeRhythm on Twitter, Telegram, FurAffinity, Weasyl, and Furry Network!
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv

Post by Morkulv »

If a female werewolf can have cubs, then should she be able to have litters as well? Seems like the most logical, or she would have her human genetics taking control over that part and just letting her have one cub at a time. On the other hand, if she would get a litter, then this would pose another question on if she would have multibreasts or not. Might sound a little silly, but the amount of baby's she could have should show that. Like for humans example, women have 2 breasts since humans are only likely to have one baby at a time (with the exception of twins) so that the baby('s) can always feed of the mother. I think either way can be possible.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
WolfeGuardian
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfeGuardian »

huh I never thought of that and it does bring up another curious question morkulv, nice thinkin but lets all say the female was bound well linked to the moon so she must change while she is carrying pups I'm just guessing she would miscarry or something and it would be harder to have a multiple litter of pups what does any one else think? :? :femshft

AladasianTheMeerkat
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Come As You Are
Additional Details: Just your typical loofah sponge killin' anthro meerkat from the Cape... that's all.
Mood: Meh...

Post by AladasianTheMeerkat »

Wingman wrote:A werewolf cub, by very definition of being a cub and not a human baby, would either already be "cursed", or likely be trapped in a transformed state its entire life.
That would be kind of an interesting concept in a werewolf yarn in that pups would be born, but due to some sort of misfire in utero, they keep their physical forms as canids, but also retain the developmental traits of humans as well - kinda like transdomestication, in some way...

But yeah, what everyone else has said so far in relation to the topic at hand (not the furry-as-pedo derailment) could also count as viable as well: The possibility of serverly injuring the fetus or miscarrying during a shift, the pup or litter being born and not being able to attain their shapeshifting attributes till later on in life, et. al.
Neenur Neenur Neenur!
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by *nagowteena* »

hmm, I've thought about it myself,I would think not, especially since (if) the virus is transmitted through saliva (bite) then that would be the most likely way to keep werewolves going. maybe through evolution (?) they may be able to bare young,
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z
Shingmanituu
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Ever wild,never free

Post by Shingmanituu »

I would say ''cubs'' could be a yes..... humans can have multiple births,wolves have multiples,so why not werewolves? My guess is litter size would be smaller as in twins or triplets,and babies would be born either human or lupine (same form as mom at the time of delivery,mom could possibly 'change' the offspring,particlularly if its hormonal-the hormones would trancend the placenta/umbilical cord along with the fetal blood supply that nourishes the inutero children) gestation could be that of a human or slightly less than human,or influanced by the form of the mother.
So yeah, i'd say cubs would be possible.
Pet's name: Ashe
Adopt your own!Sometimes the wolves are silent,and the moon is howling.
silver1
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: guardian of wolves
Additional Details: When it hurts to look back,and your scared to look ahead you can look beside you and your best friend will be there.

Post by silver1 »

WolfeGuardian wrote:hm yes I agree with wingman and you both which this very much intrigues me since werewolves In my opinion can't just typically stay in there were, state unless you or others believe so... :? I have heard though that most werewolves who do mate for cubs often miscarry which is sad but yet still very curious
i read a few stories inwich werewolves cant have pups because of the change so they often miscarry.
If you talk to the animals,they will talk to you and you will know each other.If you do not talk to them,you will not know them and what you do not know you fear,and what one fears one destroys.

Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for a friend.

You say werewolf like its a bad thing.

http://cmrpg.net/turn.php?cid=131877&serv=1
WolfeGuardian
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfeGuardian »

silver1 wrote:
WolfeGuardian wrote:hm yes I agree with wingman and you both which this very much intrigues me since werewolves In my opinion can't just typically stay in there were, state unless you or others believe so... :? I have heard though that most werewolves who do mate for cubs often miscarry which is sad but yet still very curious
i read a few stories inwich werewolves cant have pups because of the change so they often miscarry.

Yes me to as a matter of fact, the only one though that I have read that does this is the "Moon called" series I can't really recall any others that do this but yeah :)