Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

The perfect reason to hate javascript

Post by Set »

AladasianTheMeerkat
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Come As You Are
Additional Details: Just your typical loofah sponge killin' anthro meerkat from the Cape... that's all.
Mood: Meh...

Re: The perfect reason to hate javascript

Post by AladasianTheMeerkat »

Not as annoying as the rickroll javascript page though. :lol:
Neenur Neenur Neenur!
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Older than the Internet.

Though not half as annoying as I recall. Hold enter, wait five seconds to burn through all the pop ups, web page over. :lol:
WolfeGuardian
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Guardian
Additional Details: Guardian the moon pale wolf with golden flaming eyes never to be tamed,
Mood: RAR!
Location: The Dark comforting forests that welcome my presence...

Post by WolfeGuardian »

ugh when i clicked it i thought it would never stop and i couldn't get back to my forum posting bleh...
“Doubt that the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love.”

Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

@Aladasian

You mean this one?

http://tinyurl.com/moonraiser

I'll give long-standing Pack members three guesses as to whom it was that created that tinyurl.

(Hint: It wasn't Moonraiser or myself, it was someone who's OCD about posting rickrolls.)
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

WolfeGuardian wrote:ugh when i clicked it i thought it would never stop and i couldn't get back to my forum posting bleh...
:eviljester2: Well that's...kind of the point.

I DID warn you that Javascript is evil. :grinp:
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

This is one of the reasons why to use No Script on Firefox. Though its annoying in the fact that you have to whitelist everything, it blocks things like this beatifully well. :lol:
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: yradnegeL

Post by Howlitzer »

Yeeah....Javascript is evil.

I have seen some downright devious ones used before...much, much worse than the Rick-Roll. I have a friend who does web design and is very much into making these things on the side for his own sadistic entertainment.

As such I never click links from him, I make sure he opens them in front of me on HIS computer.

Such creations include:

-- A popup link that, when clicked, essentially forkbombs your computer with browser windows so fast that...if you don't have popup blockers enabled....your computer will be grinding to a halt within a minute.

-- A variation on the above that changes your homepage to that same popup

-- A variation on the above that (possibly not using javascript anymore) sticks a shortcut in the Auto-Start folder..... so it happens again on startup.

-- A variation on the above that incorporates Meatspin.

-- The lovely CD-tray trick where it keeps opening and closing for no apparent reason while making disgusting noises over the speakers.

-- And last, but not least... this wasn't entirely Javascript either... a lovely little gadget that fills your computer screen with annoying windows (Rick Roll, Meatspin, Leekspin, any in that category), and causes them to avoid your cursor.... and somehow pop back up again even after you kill it in Task Manager.
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

Post by takyoji »

All of you are thinking of Javascript in a Web 1.0 sense, where it has the most foolish nature just to make annoying images follow your cursor, or to animate text, or make "cute" little snowflakes gracefully go down the page.

But Javascript has become for far more useful (AJAX, Comet, etc) and creative uses, along with extending Javascript's possibilities. For example in the recent draft of HTML 5 you can almost entirely just forget about Adobe Flash. Google is working implementing a Javascript-based player (through new things provided in the HTML5 spec) for YouTube instead of Flash (which is a lot slower, inefficient, closed support, etc). You can even make great little games in JS: http://www.gamesforthebrain.com/game/oooze/ (works in Firefox, Opera, Safari, Google Chrome, etc; however not IE since Microsoft hasn't put any effort in implementing Canvas at all, which even Firefox 1.5 has. But Canvas in JS will be more strongly enforced in HTML5).

In fact, Google, Mozilla, and other companies are working on 3D standards like O3D, which is fully 3d graphics accelerated gaming using merely Javascript: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uofWfXOzX-g

By the way, Javascript performance in Internet Explorer has pretty much always been behind other browsers; so if you want to see better performance, just choose something else.

*spam* http://www.dokimos.org/ajff/
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

I'm using Java's "Writer" setup. It works as well as Word, only without all the little glitches that Word likes to come up with in the middle of something you''re doing.

So, Java can't be all bad...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary

Post by takyoji »

RedEye wrote:I'm using Java's "Writer" setup. It works as well as Word, only without all the little glitches that Word likes to come up with in the middle of something you''re doing.

So, Java can't be all bad...
That's actually Java, not Javascript. I believe you're referring to OpenOffice.org Writer. Java and Javascript are two entirely different languages and are mostly unrelated.

But yes, I even use OpenOffice Writer myself; even have it on my flash drive via PortableApps: http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Howlitzer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: yradnegeL

Post by Howlitzer »

Well, on that note....all I can say is, SOMEBODY will find a way to do devious things with new Javascript capabilities Tak just mentioned.
Silent Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: PACK IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Silent Hunter »

Apply to that to virtually all codes as well as people will always find ways to use stuff like that for evil. :evil:
"Religion and politics
Often make some people
Lose all perspective and
Give way to ranting and raving and
Carrying on like emotional children.
They either refuse to discuss it with reason,
Or else they prefer argumentum ad hominem,
Which is a hell of a way to conduct a discussion."
tiffanly

Post by tiffanly »

How do you fix javascript problems on your computer? Yahoo keeps telling me I don't have javascript enabled when I try to star questions. I've gone to Internet Options>Security and all the appropriate boxes seem to be checked. I can't add contacts, block users, or browse categories to place my questions in so this may end up in the wrong place. Spell check disappeared too. I'm running Version 6 of Internet Explorer. It's happened before and usually sorts itself out but it's taking much longer to go away this time. How can I hurry it up?
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary

Post by takyoji »

tiffanly wrote:How do you fix javascript problems on your computer? Yahoo keeps telling me I don't have javascript enabled when I try to star questions. I've gone to Internet Options>Security and all the appropriate boxes seem to be checked. I can't add contacts, block users, or browse categories to place my questions in so this may end up in the wrong place. Spell check disappeared too. I'm running Version 6 of Internet Explorer. It's happened before and usually sorts itself out but it's taking much longer to go away this time. How can I hurry it up?
One simple straightforward solution: at least upgrade Internet Explorer.
Otherwise for better results (involving better JavaScript performance as well), use one of the more modern browsers listed below:
  • Firefox
  • Google Chrome
  • Opera (pretty much your only option if you're on Windows 95, 98 or Millennium (ME); this and all the others are available for 2000, XP, Vista, and 7.).
By using Internet Explorer 6, you're highly threatening the security of your system; even if you ask Microsoft, they'd say the same. You're also not fully experiencing the web as it should be for you, considering Internet Explorer 6 is eight years old (that's over half the time since Internet Explorer was created). So either upgrade Internet Explorer, or for best results, choose a different browser listed above. If you need more direct assistance; feel free to contact me directly.